PDA

View Full Version : The last time this happened?

Paulie
08/10/2007, 1:13 PM
I know that mathematically we can still qualify but realistically it's not going to happen. Can anyone tell me when was the last qualifying campaign we had where we were out of the running with 3 games still to play?

NeilMcD
08/10/2007, 1:37 PM
If we win on Saturday and on Wednesday and the Germans beat the Czechs then we wil have brought it to the last game. I sound like John Delaney now. Its amazing how you can spin something like I have just done above.

citizenerased
08/10/2007, 1:46 PM
Basically the czechs(currently 20pts) are playin germany(a) slovakia(h) and cyprus(A) they need 3 pts to qualify.

I they loose against germany (quite possible) draw with cyprus(doubtful), and draw with slovakia(doubtful)

We(currently 14pts) have Germany (h) Cyprus (h) Wales (a) we need 9 pts to qualify..

I they loose against germany (quite possible) draw with cyprus(doubtful), and draw with slovakia(doubtful) and we win all our remmiang games...

Hey presto we are goin to Euro 2008....(as if) i reckon we will get 4 from the 9

gspain
08/10/2007, 1:57 PM
We needed an unlikely win in Moscow in October 1985 to keep alive qualification hopes for the 1986 WC. a win would probably have seen us through though combined with a home win over Denmark a month later. We lost both games.

So to answer the question it really is the 1984 EC campaign when we were out of contention by September 83. Only 1 team qualified there though.

jbyrne
08/10/2007, 2:21 PM
Basically the czechs(currently 20pts) are playin germany(a) slovakia(h) and cyprus(A) they need 3 pts to qualify.

I they loose against germany (quite possible) draw with cyprus(doubtful), and draw with slovakia(doubtful)

We(currently 14pts) have Germany (h) Cyprus (h) Wales (a) we need 9 pts to qualify..

I they loose against germany (quite possible) draw with cyprus(doubtful), and draw with slovakia(doubtful) and we win all our remmiang games...

Hey presto we are goin to Euro 2008....(as if) i reckon we will get 4 from the 9

this is more positive than i was thinking for some reason. highly unlikely we will sneak in but who would have thought scotland would win away to bulgaria in '87 to help us qualify or that france would lose their last two qualifiers at home in the qualification for USA 94 when they only needed a point to qualify??

lionelhutz
08/10/2007, 2:45 PM
this is more positive than i was thinking for some reason. highly unlikely we will sneak in but who would have thought scotland would win away to bulgaria in '87 to help us qualify or that france would lose their last two qualifiers at home in the qualification for USA 94 when they only needed a point to qualify??

Don't you just love the optimism. Of course, this is why people bother watching sport at all - because of its unpredictability. So you'd never know......

Look at France and England at the rugby world cup - both teams looked as though they were going to get hammered

jmurphyc
08/10/2007, 2:48 PM
I just don't see it. The Czechs will surely hammer Slovakia at home if Slovakia are anywhere near as bad as they were against us.

Wolfie
08/10/2007, 3:50 PM
Can anyone tell me when was the last qualifying campaign we had where we were out of the running with 3 games still to play?

I think we were well out of it with 3 to go in the Mexico '86 campaign.

DmanDmythDledge
08/10/2007, 3:58 PM

Wouldn't be surprising at all if Cyprus drew with Czechs. They are actually good at home, got a draw against Germany. Czechs have drawn with us and Wales away from home. However our faint hopes will be crushed when they beat Slovakia.

back of the net
08/10/2007, 4:06 PM
well if somehow we beat the germans (dont ask me how) but if ....

then its likely that we will beat the cypriots ( i havent 4got the 5- 2 all - just presuming the lads wanna regain some of their pride) - then highly likely that the germans will beat the czechs in germany and i can c the cypriots taking points off the czechs in nicosia (at least a draw - maybe even a win)

so it would go into the last game ..
we prob could beat the welsh(no guarantees again though with stan) but i cant c the czechs not beating the slovaks in prague - so even if we win our 3 remaining games - we will prob miss out by one or 2 points

but ppl until were dead in the water .....
theres always hope...

who knows in the wacky world of stan "the gaffer" staunton (-:

NeilMcD
08/10/2007, 4:08 PM
Lads the Last game for us is Wales away which is the same days as the Czechs play the Slovaks. But four days after that the Czechs go to Cyprus so if we manage to win all our games and the Czechs do not beat the Germans or the Slovaks, we will be watching that game on tv on the Wednesday night.

back of the net
08/10/2007, 4:13 PM
Lads the Last game for us is Wales away which is the same days as the Czechs play the Slovaks. But four days after that the Czechs go to Cyprus so if we manage to win all our games and the Czechs do not beat the Germans or the Slovaks, we will be watching that game on tv on the Wednesday night.

yeah theres always hope mate - i suppose if we can beat the germans and cypriots - it will hopefully put the pressure back on the czechs a bit

if we get 6 points next week - and the czechs dont beat the slovaks and we beat wales on the same nite - we could very realistically qualify

or equally the germans could spank us on sat and its all over by 9.30pm on sat nite

who knows with stan

NeilMcD
08/10/2007, 4:21 PM
I was just clarifying how it could pan out and the timing of the events rather than suggesting it could actually happen.

jbyrne
08/10/2007, 4:25 PM
just goes to highlight that even just a draw with the czechs away would have made a big difference to our chances

back of the net
08/10/2007, 4:31 PM
I was just clarifying how it could pan out and the timing of the events rather than suggesting it could actually happen.

ah i know u were mate - i wasnt being smart wit u

its very possible that it could pan out the way u said

if we get 6 pts next wk - it will be a very interesting november - cos the czechs will lose against the germans nxt wk - esp if we beat the germans in dublin on sat

and the czechs are a team in massive decline

plus look how good the slovaks are on the road - narrow loss to germany , hammered cyprus , hammered wales, narrow loss to us - so they could well get something in czech rep

all i was saying equally as u well know - which ireland team will turn up on sat nite - the one thats going to stand up and fight or the one thats going to lay down and take a beating

who knows mate..

back of the net
08/10/2007, 4:34 PM
just goes to highlight that even just a draw with the czechs away would have made a big difference to our chances

big time mate - but as neillmc said - it aint over yet

paul_oshea
08/10/2007, 4:49 PM
lads not a hope in hell of qualifying.

though i can see us winning all three games and czech getting just 3 to do the whole typical irish thing.

back of the net
08/10/2007, 4:52 PM
lads not a hope in hell of qualifying.

though i can see us winning all three games and cyprus getting just 3 to do the whole typical irish thing.

i takeit u mean czech rep get 3 !!!

Closed Account 2
08/10/2007, 8:45 PM
The Czechs will only pick up two more points (draws with Cyprus and Slovakia), but we will only pick up 3 more points (win at home to Cyprus)... That is what I think will happen

eirebhoy
08/10/2007, 9:33 PM
Yeah, I said the same plenty of times before the Slovak/Czech matches. 2 draws wouldn't have been the end of the world.

stojkovic
08/10/2007, 10:35 PM
Lads lads lads

We will NOT get nine points from our last 3 games, NOT under this regime. We will be lucky to get three (either 3 draws or else a 2-1 win over cyprus).

We have also not reached our nadir yet, we will fall further unless changes are made, quickly.

Everyone on here could predict the starting XI for England but not one person in world could guess what team Stan will pick. I think he just pulls the names out of a hat.

CollegeTillIDie
09/10/2007, 8:05 AM

Big difference though Ireland c.1986-88 was a good team, with a manager who had a game plan, crude but effective though it may have been!

CollegeTillIDie
09/10/2007, 8:07 AM
ah i know u were mate - i wasnt being smart wit u

its very possible that it could pan out the way u said

if we get 6 pts next wk - it will be a very interesting november - cos the czechs will lose against the germans nxt wk - esp if we beat the germans in dublin on sat

and the czechs are a team in massive decline

plus look how good the slovaks are on the road - narrow loss to germany , hammered cyprus , hammered wales, narrow loss to us - so they could well get something in czech rep

all i was saying equally as u well know - which ireland team will turn up on sat nite - the one thats going to stand up and fight or the one thats going to lay down and take a beating

who knows mate..

And as so many Slovak players have played in the Czech League and it's next door and they used to be one country anyway, it's not that much of an away game so to speak.

Paulie
09/10/2007, 10:07 AM
Even in the unlikely event of us getting 9 points from our last 3 games I just cannot see the Czechs failing to beat Slovakia at home. They should get beaten away to Germany and I could see them dropping points away to Cyprus but they beat Slovakia handily enough away from home and I expect them to do the same in Prague.

RogerMilla
09/10/2007, 10:12 AM
And as so many Slovak players have played in the Czech League and it's next door and they used to be one country anyway, it's not that much of an away game so to speak.

yeah but czech pumped slovakia in bratislava 3-0 so it should be an even easier game for them now

Tipp Townie
09/10/2007, 11:58 AM
I think we were well out of it with 3 to go in the Mexico '86 campaign.

Not quite, well, not mathematically anyway. I think with 3 games to go we went to Switzerland needing a win to realistically keep the hopes alive. Instead, if memory serves, it was a dull 0-0, meaning (as someone has noted above) that we needed to win in Russia and at home to Denmark. I think at that point The Soviet Union had a 100% home qualification record! This will probably be the first time since then that we'll go into our last qualifier already out of the running.

Euro '84 - I think technically speaking we were still mathematically in with a shout with 3 games to go for these too. Two games to go in fact, after we won 3-0 in Iceland. But again, this was heavily reliant on improbable results: both Hollland and Spain failing to win at home to Malta!

Strictly speaking, i think the last time we ballsed up a qualification campaign this badly was Euro '72, when we got one point out of six games.

citizenerased
09/10/2007, 12:09 PM
yeah but czech pumped slovakia in bratislava 3-0 so it should be an even easier game for them now

Pressure is a funny thing though..especailly when the slovaks might look to get one over their former compatriots

gwhite
09/10/2007, 12:19 PM
Form does go out the window in a derby game, e.g. Belfast in Nov '93. A team with nothing to lose in a derby game is capable of anything. Then again it's us, so some kind of injury time sucker-punch goal will probably sink us somewhere.

Ordinary Fan
09/10/2007, 2:14 PM
Dream on. We will get just 2 points.

Draw with Cyprus
Draw with Wales

You need a game plan to win matches, not just throw players onto the pitch and hope for the best.

elroy
09/10/2007, 2:26 PM
You gotta love the optimism of the Irish supporters, normally im the same but no way can I see us beating Germany. We havent beaten a decent team at home in 6 years and that was a lucky enough win. The way we're playing at the moment, 5 points from the last three games is about the best to expect.

If we somehow manage to get six points in the next two games, it would put a bit of pressure back on the Czechs but I doubt it'll even come to that.

mackannovic
09/10/2007, 2:53 PM
Wouldn't be surprising at all if Cyprus drew with Czechs. They are actually good at home, got a draw against Germany. Czechs have drawn with us and Wales away from home. However our faint hopes will be crushed when they beat Slovakia.

What would be surprising is us getting 9n points though!

citizenerased
09/10/2007, 2:55 PM
yeah in fairness we have a patethic setup...no way will we get 9pts,

bwagner
09/10/2007, 3:01 PM
i wouldnt worry about any future optimism elroy the current circus act are quickly getting rid of that