PDA

View Full Version : Good Article

Diarmo
07/10/2007, 10:44 PM
This article from the Independent nicely sums up a lot of my frustrations.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/tales-of-the-unexpected-1116973.html

OwlsFan
08/10/2007, 7:08 AM
Scanned down it. Seemed to be an awful lot about Sunderland and Liam Miller (ffs :rolleyes:). They don't sum up my frustrations.

Stuttgart88
08/10/2007, 7:44 AM
I honestly don't see why there's such a fuss about Joey O'Brien being IN the squad. He's a good player and if we want to develop him as an international including him is the way to do it, no? (Jokes about the damage training with Stan might do aside).

Miller I can take or leave. His performances for Ireland in the past have been poor. His whole career has been one good game followed by three poor ones. However I was interested to note that he didn't play in the US because he was getting married. The FAI simply said "family reasons" which most people would fairly assume as meaning "couldn't be arsed". Another example of utterly shyte PR from the FAI camp.

I don't have much time for Miller, though partly because I really felt he should have made the US trip. He more than anyone had a point to prove and a chance to prove it. Nothing whatsoever to do with leaving Celtic just in case any of the cranks around these part jump to incorrect conclusions. I just think he has wasted his talent by believing he's a big time charlie when he really needed to work harder at his game.

That said, I've been impressed by his recent form. I only saw 20 mins of his game against Arsenal yesterday and I thought he played well, except for one trademark easy loss of possession.

Worth a place in this week's squad? Yes, I'd say so. Better player than Andy Reid? No, definitely not.

Ireland4ever
08/10/2007, 8:39 AM
I wouldnt pay any attention to the Joey O'Brien selection if it was a once off, but these bizarre decisions have been a hallmark or this clowns squads to date.
The non-selection and then selection of carsley - and now he's a defininte starter and one of our most important team players.
The selection of Alan OBrien - even though he hadnt played a league game for newcastle!
The selection of Robbie Keane as captain ahead of leaders such as Dunne/Given etc.
The bizarre subs used in slovakia in such an important stage of an important game (douglas and gibson)
The total disregard of our most in-form player Stephen Hunt.
Selecting an in-experienced right back (Stephen Kelly) at left back while selecting an experienced left back (O'Shea)at right back.

Stan seems to make this decisions to fool people into believing he is a tactician, which is something he is not.

SUB of the day
08/10/2007, 5:58 PM
This article from the Independent nicely sums up a lot of my frustrations.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/tales-of-the-unexpected-1116973.html
The really frustrating part, is that Delaney knows he has a dead docket, but being so closely linked with the appointment of the useless one, nothing will be done.Shipping defeats in our next three games would be a price worth paying.:(

NeilMcD
08/10/2007, 6:00 PM
8 October 2007

Keane: Miller deserves Irish chance

ROY KEANE believes midfielder Liam Miller should go straight into the Ireland side following a hugely impressive performance against Arsenal yesterday.

Cork-born Miller was the catalyst for an impressive comeback from Sunderland as they came from 2-0 down to level 2-2 against the league leaders, only to lose to a late goal from Robin van Persie.

But Keane believes the form of the former Celtic, Manchester United and Leeds player Miller warrants a call-up to the national side

He said: “I’ve gone down this road before discussing Ireland squads and I suppose it’s none of my business. But anyone who saw this game today will see Liam was outstanding. That’s what he’s capable of.

“Of course to be a top player you have to produce week in and week out and that’s the challenge.

“But I thought he was brilliant today. His energy, his passing, his movement. We just want to see it on a consistent basis.

“But if he’s doing that and playing like he did today then he shouldn’t just be in the squad, he should be in the starting line-up and dictating games for Ireland.”

Miller’s display against Arsenal was certainly impressive. Despite being matched up against Cesc Fabregas his performance stood out.

He produced a superb cross for his team’s second goal and could even have set up a third in the dying seconds when a superb piece of skill saw him jink into the box, only to be denied by Manuel Almunia.

shaneker
08/10/2007, 11:05 PM
The report is absolutely right, I saw the Arsenal v Sunderland match and Miller was excellent, seemed to be the only player capable of taking on the Arsenal midifeld and gaining ground to put the ball in from dangerous positions. I'm not his biggest fan but there was no denying he looked very effective. My housemate is an Arsenal fan (he's also German - this week could get worse for me) so I've seen a lot of them this year and for Miller to stand up and be counted against players of that calibre is certainly impressive.

Perhaps this was a campaign too soon for him but he should be in the squad and he must surely be in the running for a squad place come the WC 2010 games. That said, I would assume that he will struggle to get into our starting midfield if Andy Reid continues his fine form and if Steven Reid comes back from injury strong.

But maybe I'm looking too far ahead!

Stuttgart88
09/10/2007, 7:52 AM
Just on Miller: he's not unlike Ireland, McGeady, McPhail & to a lesser extent Andy Reid. All diminutive ( I was going to say lightweight but could do without all the Reid retorts) players who are very good on the ball but probably not physical enough to get a grip on midfield by themselves.

Sunderland played a 3 man midfield with Leadbitter & Yorke supporting Miller with width provided by Wallace on the left and another guy on the right and a big athletic handful upfront. Can we accomodate Miller in this way?

Of the 4 Irish players I mentioned above Reid is the one I think is best capable of competing physically and is probably the best footballer as well.

Credit to Miller for taking his opportunity, but recall too that Sunderland could have been taken to the cleaners after 20 minutes and on the bit I saw live and the highlights on MOTD2 I saw Miller squander possession carelessly a few times and at least once on the edge of his own box.

But should he be in the squad? Yes, I think so. He's better than Douglas, though is a different type of player. Leeds fans will say that Douglas was consistently miles better than Miller in The Championship though. On current form he's also well ahead of McGeady (much better passer) and would have been a better squad option than Gibson last month.

OwlsFan
09/10/2007, 8:55 AM
8 October 2007

Keane: Miller deserves Irish chance

ROY KEANE believes midfielder Liam Miller should go straight into the Ireland side following a hugely impressive performance against Arsenal yesterday.

So why has his ars* been warming the Sunderland bench for most of the season? One good game and wow! The next Maradona. Seen it all before. I have also seen Miller for Ireland and he wasn't very good. Think he was also let go by Celtic.

tetsujin1979
09/10/2007, 9:55 AM
Sunderland played a 3 man midfield with Leadbitter & Yorke supporting Miller with width provided by Wallace on the left and another guy on the right and a big athletic handful upfront. Can we accomodate Miller in this way?
If we did decide to play a 3 man midfield (like USA '94) we'd need someone to step up and be a target man. Doyle is the obvious candidate but it'd mean dropping Robbie Keane, which Stan is obviously not going to de.

Think he was also let go by Celtic.
No, he wasn't. His contract was due for renewal, Fergie saw him play a blinder in the Champion's League and was offered a deal at United.

shakermaker1982
09/10/2007, 11:08 AM
He's very hit and miss and too lightweight for liking but is surely worth another look.

carloz
09/10/2007, 12:50 PM
He's very hit and miss and too lightweight for liking but is surely worth another look.
As opposed to Stephen ireland, who was given a chance in central midfield in Nicosia, was awful and then with the genius that Stan possesses, is put back in that position in Bratislava.

I wouldnt pay any attention to the Joey O'Brien selection if it was a once off, but these bizarre decisions have been a hallmark or this clowns squads to date.
The non-selection and then selection of carsley - and now he's a defininte starter and one of our most important team players.
The selection of Alan OBrien - even though he hadnt played a league game for newcastle!
The selection of Robbie Keane as captain ahead of leaders such as Dunne/Given etc.
The bizarre subs used in slovakia in such an important stage of an important game (douglas and gibson)
Selecting an in-experienced right back (Stephen Kelly) at left back while selecting an experienced left back (O'Shea)at right back.
all of these are excellent points which show the pure idiocy of Stans choices. Nobody could back Stan up for anyone of thoses issues mentioned. I taught playing Finnan and O'Shea on the opposite wings against Wales was a masterstroke(as they were marking players from their own club at the time, Bellamy and Giggs), but then he goes and does in every game since. His selection of captaincy should have been one of the easiest things he had to do....and he screwed it up. His subs against Slovakia puzzled us all.....to think of all the abuse Kerr got for sending Kavanagh on for Keane at home to Israel, Stans substitutions in Bratislava were much more puzzling. There is something sickeningly wrong with the selection of Alan O'Brien..........there is a reason behind that that is not football reasons. Young wingers like Doyle, Tabb, Rowlands, Walters, Lawrence must be wondering what the **** is going on. Then i pick up the paper today to read that Stan says that some Irish players are scared to come home to Ireland and instead bring their famalies to England to see them because of the abuse from irish fans. Simply put Stan the only thing we are ****ed off with is having a twit for a coach, who cant get the simple basics right, who is a joke when giving media interviews and who is making worry so much about the future of our international team. If he see's out his contract we will not qulaify for a tournamnet until about 2020

Over the post
10/10/2007, 8:48 AM
I also thought Miller made a difference when he came on for Sunderland against Man Utd this season. The midfield had looked very pedestrian and he put a bit of spark into the side.

As for him being too small, look at Barça's midfield triumvirate of Deco, Xavi and Iniesta. While I'm not suggesting for a minute that Miller would keep any of them out of the side, it does show how short/lightweight players can still dominate a midfield.

Stuttgart88
10/10/2007, 9:01 AM
Iit does show how short/lightweight players can still dominate a midfield.True. Fabregas & Flamini too. Fabregas because he just always makes so much time and Flamini because he's a tough, ankle snapping, persistent type.

Andy Reid's technique helps him stand out in a very physical league (how many times has he been MOTM this season? How many times was Miller MOTM in the Championship for either Leeds or Sunderland? Very few unfortunately). Sadly, Jon Douglas is the closest we have to a Flamini type!

Even Roy Keane wasn't particularly big, but he was physically dominant.

Over the post
10/10/2007, 9:22 AM
Even Roy Keane wasn't particularly big, but he was physically dominant.

I seem to recall Keane saying he had been rejected for Irish underage sides because he was considered too small to play midfield.

DmanDmythDledge
10/10/2007, 12:17 PM
If we did decide to play a 3 man midfield (like USA '94) we'd need someone to step up and be a target man. Doyle is the obvious candidate but it'd mean dropping Robbie Keane, which Stan is obviously not going to de.
I'd prefer Keane on the wing over McGeady.

Sligo Hornet
10/10/2007, 12:36 PM
I'd prefer Keane on the wing over McGeady.

I'd prefer Stephen Ireland's Grandmother ( dead? ) on the wing over McGeady!!;)

SkStu
11/10/2007, 6:07 AM
in defence of Stan (wow never thought id say that) people were raving over the form of Keane since he had been made captain of Spurs and i would have thought it was a pretty well received move by Stan widely. It has however backfired a bit. I personally think Keane doesnt try as hard for ireland as he does for spurs - whatever the reasons.

Scram
11/10/2007, 10:20 AM
I honestly don't see why there's such a fuss about Joey O'Brien being IN the squad. He's a good player and if we want to develop him as an international including him is the way to do it, no? (Jokes about the damage training with Stan might do aside).

Miller I can take or leave. His performances for Ireland in the past have been poor. His whole career has been one good game followed by three poor ones. However I was interested to note that he didn't play in the US because he was getting married. The FAI simply said "family reasons" which most people would fairly assume as meaning "couldn't be arsed". Another example of utterly shyte PR from the FAI camp.

I don't have much time for Miller, though partly because I really felt he should have made the US trip. He more than anyone had a point to prove and a chance to prove it. Nothing whatsoever to do with leaving Celtic just in case any of the cranks around these part jump to incorrect conclusions. I just think he has wasted his talent by believing he's a big time charlie when he really needed to work harder at his game.

That said, I've been impressed by his recent form. I only saw 20 mins of his game against Arsenal yesterday and I thought he played well, except for one trademark easy loss of possession.

Worth a place in this week's squad? Yes, I'd say so. Better player than Andy Reid? No, definitely not.

Agree with that assessment of Miller, but then, I'm anti-Cork :rolleyes: His performances for Ireland have been lack lustre at best. Keane callig for him to be in the starting 11 is pathetic when it was him who said Miller, O'Shea and MacFadden were not good enough to play for his beloved Man U!

Miller should be in the squad but has a whole lot to prove BEFORE he makes the starting 11 nad not just because the meglomaniac Keane says so.

Here's hoping Reid is fit......but why do we care? Might be better if we lose 5-0 and Stan's fate is sealed :confused:

Stuttgart88
11/10/2007, 10:23 AM
If Reid is unfit Miller has to play. I wouldn't have started McGeady but with withdrawals I think he may well be starting.

youngirish
11/10/2007, 10:28 AM
Shi*e article. Shows a distinct lack of footballing knowledge to suggest even at present that Joey O'Brien should be left out of the squad for Andy O'Brien or worse still Liam Miller. Miller is absolute muck. So what if he had a good game against Arsenal. Sunderland stilll lost and that's one good game every 10. He was diabolical earlier in the season.

lionelhutz
11/10/2007, 10:47 AM

Stan seems to make this decisions to fool people into believing he is a tactician, which is something he is not.

Excellent post. It's the continuing idiocy of decision making that really p***es Irish supporters off. He's too stubborn and too stupid to rectify mistakes. In football, and life for that matter, people improve by learning from their mistakes, stan is unable to do this.

I was never a big fan of mcarthy but at least he learned from the stupid decisions he made in the 98 campaign

Armando
11/10/2007, 12:21 PM
[QUOTE=Scram;787980]Agree with that assessment of Miller, but then, I'm anti-Cork :rolleyes: His performances for Ireland have been lack lustre at best. Keane callig for him to be in the starting 11 is pathetic when it was him who said Miller, O'Shea and MacFadden were not good enough to play for his beloved Man U!
[QUOTE]

MacFadden never played for Utd..and he's scottish:confused:

Scram
11/10/2007, 12:41 PM
[QUOTE=Scram;787980]Agree with that assessment of Miller, but then, I'm anti-Cork :rolleyes: His performances for Ireland have been lack lustre at best. Keane calling for him to be in the starting 11 is pathetic when it was him who said Miller, O'Shea and MacFadden were not good enough to play for his beloved Man U!
[QUOTE]

MacFadden never played for Utd..and he's scottish:confused:

Sorry I meant Darren Fletcher and what if he is Scottish :confused: My point is re. Miller, not good enough for Man U, but should be in Ireland starting 11 per Keane.