PDA

View Full Version : Adam Hughes

dublinred
07/10/2007, 12:19 PM
Anyone know the story why he didn't get on the team bus on Friday ? A lot of rumours going around at the game that he didn't travel because he has an agreement to sign for Drogheda next season , I find this hard to believe as surely Drogheda wouldn't be so stupid to risk a possible points deduction for third party influence considering they already have the league wrapped up.Also I would find it hard to stomach if the club captain showed so much disrespect for rovers and the fans who pay his wages.

DonalE
07/10/2007, 12:53 PM
Anyone know the story why he didn't get on the team bus on Friday ? A lot of rumours going around at the game that he didn't travel because he has an agreement to sign for Drogheda next season , I find this hard to believe as surely Drogheda wouldn't be so stupid to risk a possible points deduction for third party influence considering they already have the league wrapped up.Also I would find it hard to stomach if the club captain showed so much disrespect for rovers and the fans who pay his wages.

The story is that he fell outta the shower on Friday morning, sounds a bit "unfortunate"... if you believe it, I did hear that he was in hospital on Friday though.

Kivlehan
07/10/2007, 5:34 PM
If the rumors about him missing the Drogheda match because he's signed a pre-contract with them are true, he should be stripped of the captaincy, fined the rest of the season's salary, and Sligo Rovers should file a complaint against Drogheda asking for a major fine and the 3 points from the match. I prescribe such a harsh remedy because it essentially amounts to match-fixing by Drogheda and Hughes. The only worse thing would be him playing and shooting in own goals.

Allowing bullsh-t like this to go unpunished will keep the League of Ireland a small time operation.

Terry
07/10/2007, 6:23 PM
when does his contract expire?

SligoBrewer
07/10/2007, 6:28 PM
end of this season afaik

Terry
07/10/2007, 6:34 PM
if thats the case he is free to talk to anyone. I think its in the bosman ruling that states a player can start talks with another club from within the last six months of his current clubs contract?

SligoBrewer
07/10/2007, 6:37 PM
but is he allowed to pull out of a game under the instructions of his future employers?

DmanDmythDledge
07/10/2007, 6:40 PM
but is he allowed to pull out of a game under the instructions of his future employers?
No. If that is the case Drogheda should be deducted points or heavily fined. I think the rules broken are similar to the ones in the Carlos Tevez case.

Terry
07/10/2007, 6:41 PM
didnt know about that ! unforgiveable if true !

feo123
07/10/2007, 6:51 PM
if true are the two main words here lads, he's given his all every time hes put on the red shirt and i don't think we should come to any conclusions just yet....i know i said in another thread what i thought about it and i'll delete that now. don't want to pre-judge him

SligoBrewer
07/10/2007, 6:55 PM
if true are the two main words here lads, he's given his all every time hes put on the red shirt and i don't think we should come to any conclusions just yet....i know i said in another thread what i thought about it and i'll delete that now. don't want to pre-judge him

if true feo, is key

but i think its very co-incidental

Terry
07/10/2007, 6:59 PM
exactly Feo, these type of accidents happen.

My sister got married in Rome years ago. When they were in the vatican to get a blessing from the pope, a priest came out to them (there was about 40 wedding couples there) and said the pope had slipped in the bath and broke a leg. The brother-in-law shouted out "AGH the ****ing idiot". Funny story, and I know a bit off topic but just saying these things happen !

feo123
07/10/2007, 6:59 PM
if true feo, is key

but i think its very co-incidental

yeah but coincedances also happen in life. he's still our captain don't rush to conclusions yet lads

Sheridan
07/10/2007, 7:30 PM
Even if it's true (which I doubt, at least to the extent that Drogheda put him up to it) it would be next to impossible to prove unless he was wearing a wire.

feo123
07/10/2007, 7:31 PM
Even if it's true (which I doubt, at least to the extent that Drogheda put him up to it) it would be next to impossible to prove unless he was wearing a wire.

surely there'd be marks somewhere if he fell out of the shower?

SligoBrewer
07/10/2007, 7:57 PM
surely there'd be marks somewhere if he fell out of the shower?

it would have to be serious if he couldn't even travel with the team,

surely something would be visible?

avvenalaf
07/10/2007, 8:36 PM

Well what the **** do you think he tripped on ?

Bravo
07/10/2007, 8:52 PM
FFS this is Adam 150% Hughes, who gives it his all even when the supporters and the locals have thrown the towel inn. Lads the least we owe him is the benefit of the doubt :mad:

gustavo
07/10/2007, 10:34 PM
agreed the least he deserves is the benefit of the doubt.

regan
08/10/2007, 7:48 AM
now adam is and has been my best mate for about 15 years ever since we played representative football together at 10 years of age and then became my next door neighbour and if the story is that he fell in the shower then i would say thats wat happened .i think u need to stop being critical of the person that has worked his ass off for ur club to the point that he has been given the honour of club captain because of his leadership qualities and his integrity.i havnt spoken to adam for a couple of weeks now so i wouldnt know if wat ur sayin is true but isnt it his right to try to provide the best possible life for his wife n daughter if that means moving to a bigger club on more money then good luck to him for that because hes doin something that most of us only dream of doing in our lifetimes .if he didnt play against that club and there was nothing wrong with him then i know it wouldnt have been because he didnt want to play .its only ever been about playin football for adam

dublinred
08/10/2007, 8:21 AM
agreed the least he deserves is the benefit of the doubt.

Agree, time will tell if he plays for the club again hope he does and signs for next season as he will be a huge loss.

Getting really p155ed off with the league at the moment it seems a few clubs funded by developers can go out and sign anyone they want for silly money so much for the genesis report guildlines on wages ratios as once off contributiuons seem to bypass this rule.

avvenalaf
08/10/2007, 12:13 PM
Let's lay off Adam hughes. He is a professional footballer player and because he is a good professional it is likely that bigger clubs will want him and it would be daft to suggest that a man with a family wouldn't take up an opportunity to better his family's life. If it was Cardiff City or Dunfermline that came for him we'd be delighted for him, so why not be pleased that he has bettered himself at the Showgrounds and wish him well. He certainly owes us nothing.
As to the developers buying clubs and the money that some clubs are borrowing against, well that merely mirrors what is happening in every league in the world. A couple of teams dominate except for the occasional time when Harry McLoughlin chips a keeper. In my time, I have seen LOI dominated by Waterford, Shams, Dundalk and Shels. One thing they have in common is that they all went burst because the fundamental finance does not exist in Ireland to supoport a succesful club as fans can become sated with success and drift away in complacency.
The Rovers model is much more interesting in that a decision, which I support, has been made that the club will not bankrupt itself for success. Unfortunately, I feel that this decision must be supported by a commitment that the club will play a certain style of football which is attractive and this mantra has to go the whole way through the club. So for starters, we need a pitch upon which this style of football can be played. Then we will get the respect and admoration of the football world and people like Adam Hughes and Chris Turner will continue to want to come and play for Rovers. It's not by accident that Man Utd and Liverpool have sent players on loan to Dario Gradi at Crewe.
Be assured that if we don't take this course, we will be overtaken by Galway United and/or Finn harps who are already on that road.

red arrow
09/10/2007, 9:27 PM
regan i believe you as do many others. i know for a fact that adam slipped
in the shower and had a big lump on the back of his head (no i was'nt there). i spoke to some of his team mates. you can tell him the next time you speak to him that he is highly regarded in sligo both as a person and a player and we would love to hold on to him (but can meet what drogheda have offered him? maybe only time will tell). i would love to see him stay as i believe he will get better and better over the next few years and he is the one guy who could lead us to success. to avenalaf very good post

feo123
09/10/2007, 9:30 PM
regan i believe you as do many others. i know for a fact that adam slipped
in the shower and had a big lump on the back of his head (no i was'nt there). i spoke to some of his team mates. you can tell him the next time you speak to him that he is highly regarded in sligo both as a person and a player and we would love to hold on to him (but can meet what drogheda have offered him? maybe only time will tell). i would love to see him stay as i believe he will get better and better over the next few years and he is the one guy who could lead us to success. to avenalaf very good post

you were there dont deny it :p

feo123
10/10/2007, 1:45 PM
i hope he dosn't '''fall out'''' with anyone over this.

im so funny

sligoman
10/10/2007, 1:55 PM
i know for a fact that adam slipped
in the shower and had a big lump on the back of his head (no i was'nt there).You can't know for a fact that he slipped in the shower unless you were there or saw a video of it happening. I'm not saying it didn't but just that you can't know for a fact it did. He may have a lump on the back of his head but you can't prove it was from falling in the shower, unless, as I said, you were there. FACT:p.