PDA

View Full Version : Tonight's game

manofthemoment
05/10/2007, 9:58 PM
nervy performance good result pity Waterford won as well

Terry
05/10/2007, 10:22 PM
first half was awful rubbish altogether, second half was all go and everyone gave it there all and played very well as a team. I was very worried when all of our strikers showed in full view to everyone that they hadnt the balls to take the penalty and it took one of our FB's to show them how it was done, and fair play to him too.

KBurke
05/10/2007, 10:54 PM
Actually it was Cousins who got them to let Alan take the peno. Good call!! Although it was a bit of a farce that they didnt know who the taker was gonna be. Surely those things are decided at training.

Good fightback by the lads and a great result

Maroon 7
06/10/2007, 1:51 AM
I was worried for the peno alright. Nobody seemed to want to take it. To be fair Utd deserved the win. Longford had the better of the first 15-20 minutes but after that Utd took over without dominating. Missed about 3 sitters.

Tir Oilean
06/10/2007, 2:12 AM
Nobody seemed to want to take it.

I thought that Keano was more than willing to take the peno but there clearly was some confusion. There was no way Murphs was gonna be allowed to take it. We had loads of chances in the second half but I was really nervous with the time wasting tactics at the corner flag with quiet a bit to go. Mooney is a class act and one thing is for sure he wont be in the first division next season. Had Waterford lost we would be defo out of the woods buts we should kick on now and beat Bray Waterford and UCD to finish with a killer instinct.

Gaillimh Al
06/10/2007, 8:14 AM
Great win. For me, Russell made a big difference when he came on and was what was needed all night, someone to play a simple pass well. Although I only think he came on cos Cousins was afraid Greg would get sent off. Don't think Faherty and Glynn work as a partnership. They both do their own thing quite well but dont link together enough. Sign Mooney up for next year if we can. He makes intelligent runs, has quick feet and finishes very well.
Murphy just about shaded Man of the Match for me, just ahead of Lester and Keane. As for the peno, Keane strode forward and grabbed the ball, he must have been the nominated peno taker, then Glynn decided it was his. I was nervous then as he missed a glorious first half chance. Fair play to Cousins for taking charge and insisting Keane took it. I had no problem with the time wasting considering the history between the 2 sides where they had equalised late with 10 men already this season.

De Town
06/10/2007, 8:18 AM
Gaillimh Al, not a chance will ye be getting Mooney for next year. Will be heading to England by the looks of it.

On the game, thought we were generally the better side until we gave away the penalty, then Galway took over from there. We missed 2 sitters in the 1st half that we really needed to be taking. Think that might be the end of us in the Premier unfortunately :(

galwaygooner
06/10/2007, 9:43 AM
first half was awful rubbish altogether, second half was all go and everyone gave it there all and played very well as a team. I was very worried when all of our strikers showed in full view to everyone that they hadnt the balls to take the penalty and it took one of our FB's to show them how it was done, and fair play to him too.

Vinny wanted to take the penalty so did alan , it was tc that confused all by seemingly trying to get derek to take it

gufct
06/10/2007, 10:07 AM
What an atmosphere welll done to all players and supporters.I talked to Alan afterwards and he was the nominated Penalty taker but Glynny just checked with him if he was confident and boy was he.I was so proud last night and my grand nephew :eek: was at his second game of the season and saw his second home win in his GUFC New Jersey THANKS to GUST and the lotto .

Im going to get a new flag made a Tricolour with a Galway crest in the middle and "from the cradle to the grave Galway United" on it .

It would be graet to get a crowd in Dalymount next friday with the international on Saturday.

Patrick Dunne
06/10/2007, 10:45 AM
gufct won the matchday draw at the game vs St Patricks Athletic. The prize is a E50 voucher for Galway United merchandise at the club shop or Galway Sports Shop, Eyre Square Shopping Centre.

Ita O'Meara, Laurel Park, was the matchday draw winner last night vs Longford Town.

The matchday draw is confined to supporters who have bought GUST Lotto tickets by the day of the game. Our next matchday draw will be held at "Standing Room Only", after the Derry City match on October 26th.

Mr A
06/10/2007, 10:58 AM
On the game, thought we were generally the better side until we gave away the penalty, then Galway took over from there. We missed 2 sitters in the 1st half that we really needed to be taking. Think that might be the end of us in the Premier unfortunately

Gotta say I agree with that. United didn't really play until Longford scored, but after that Town just went into their shell and GU were well on top for the rest of the match. Fantastic crowd and the atmosphere (and drumming) were superb- a quite incredible number of teenyboppers and kids though, which was a bit annoying in the new stand to be honest.

gilberto_eire
06/10/2007, 11:17 AM
I was worried for the peno alright. Nobody seemed to want to take it. To be fair Utd deserved the win. Longford had the better of the first 15-20 minutes but after that Utd took over without dominating. Missed about 3 sitters.

15-20 mins? you having a laugh... they controlled the game until they gave the peno away and the tide turned from there

was good to see Barry sticking it too his doubters when he put that ball over DOB's head after getting through on goal :D

Maroon 7
06/10/2007, 11:54 AM
15-20 mins? you having a laugh... they controlled the game until they gave the peno away and the tide turned from there

Not really. Longford started the better and were on top (without creating much) for the first 20/25 minutes but United came into the game during the second half of the first half. At the end of the day both sides only had one good chance apiece in the first half. Can't remember who had Longford's one but Derek Glynn should really have buried the one on one he had with their keeper. In reality the first half was pretty dire fare all round.

After Longford's goal it was pretty much one way traffic alright.

Maroon 7
06/10/2007, 11:57 AM
Gotta say I agree with that. United didn't really play until Longford scored, but after that Town just went into their shell and GU were well on top for the rest of the match. Fantastic crowd and the atmosphere (and drumming) were superb- a quite incredible number of teenyboppers and kids though, which was a bit annoying in the new stand to be honest.

There was a gang of teenyboppers sitting in front of me in the new stand and they spent most of the game snogging the faces off one another.

United must be Galway's most successful youth club/dating agency.:D

pixiehead
06/10/2007, 4:04 PM
I was amazed that no one only myself seemed to notice that the Big Fat Shaved head lad up front(no 10) was the former fallen star "up his own hole" Dessie Baker. He was totally out of the game. But Lads......... the amount of Slagging we could have given him..... Did nobody notice :confused::D. And did anyone notice that Rutherford went up for 7 headers and missed 6 of them!!! Another former "star" gone bad. Jes! Lonford deserve to go down with former Dub team rejects like this :D

Conor H
06/10/2007, 4:48 PM
Great result and performance(in the 2nd half only).
The win all but ensures us avoiding automatic relegation but that's it.We're still very much in a battle to avoid the playoff.4 points on the road against Bohs and Bray(as was our return earlier in the season) and we'll only need one more win from Derry/Waterford and UCD to stay up IMO.Realistically we'd be looking for 7 points from those games.

Hope Waterford go down ahead of Longford.Always a good trip for UTD supporters and in fairness they had a big following last night to.

JC_GUFC
06/10/2007, 5:19 PM
Probably deserved the win overall, for the first 30 mins they were on top and Dessie Baker had a great chance, well blocked by someone.

Glynn is clearly lacking in confidence and would definitely have scored that chance at the end of the 1st half 2 months ago. Dave Mooney had been banging in the goals recently and I'd no doubt he'd score when he was put throught 1 on 1.

Once they scored we played as well as I've ever seen us play! We completely battered them for 20 minutes. It was a bit of a mess when we got the penalty, Alan Keane grabbed the ball but it looked like 4 other lads wanted it too!
After that we kept getting chances and Murphs did well on the right of midfield, Vinny missed a sitter before Wes powered home his header.

After they went down to 10 it was the same old United, hanging on. I know it was an important game for both sides and they had to throw everything at us but we really should have held on to the ball better.

It's hard to single out any player as it was a good team performance but Alan Keane has been an unsung hero since coming back from serious injury and it was great to see him get his first goal for the club.

Paddyfield
06/10/2007, 7:09 PM
I was worried for the peno alright. Nobody seemed to want to take it......

I was behind the dugout when the penalty was awarded. Cousins was shouting "Keane Keane Keane". O'Brien was the only one trying to interpret what Cosins was saying. Eventually, O'Brien figured it out and pointed to Keane and Cousins gave the thumbs up.

eamo1
06/10/2007, 9:37 PM
Alan keane is a future galway utd captain!!!i had said that before but his displays lately and his peno just confirmed my thoughts.
Russell changed the game when he came on.I had no problem with them keeping the ball in the corner,given the amount of late goals we've conceded this season and think of all the dublin teams that did that to utd down through the years.
when we eventually rose to the challenge longford didnt want to know about it and near the end they werent even commiting that many forward in a must win situation,im not complaining though:).
we're nearly safe now,3 wins i reckon will do it(1 of them being vrs waterford).

JC_GUFC
06/10/2007, 11:16 PM
when we eventually rose to the challenge longford didnt want to know about it and near the end they werent even commiting that many forward

You must have missed the 2 on one from the halfway line in the last minute! ;)

I think Barry got a bit overexcited trying to cross the ball to Derek, worked out well though as we got to hold the ball up at the corner flag again! :D

Claret Murph
07/10/2007, 6:17 AM
Happy or what .
It took Longford to score before we could get into gear as we just seemed lost in the first half and we would have had no complaints if we were behind at half time Murphy and Keane were our best players in the first 45 . Yer man Mooney took his goal so well but again we were caught out to square at the back but great to go back up the pitch and score the pen , i really didn't think we would score with the so who's going to take it routine but i would say the keeper was lucky he got out of the way as the pen would have taken his head off . Now a couple of people have said Keane for captain and i 100% agree with that . Now after our second and them going down to 10 men and with United wasting time in the corners ( one of main things i hate any side doing ) i started to think not again as our last time we played them in Terryland in April they got out of jail when scoring with ten men and got a draw but not this time all that was left was for Barry to race clear with a two on one Derek in the middle and he some how over cooked the pass but it was all over by then and we have got the points , oohhh happy days .

Positive = Murphy, Keane, O'Hall & Russler

If i had to be negative then O'Brien had a very poor game summed up when he did manage to cross the ball in the first half with everyone up in the area the ball sailed over everyone .

Also i have to say so dissapointed with Baker and Rudders as they look like they are only there for the money and nothing else :):)

damoGUFC
07/10/2007, 11:54 AM
Agree with everyone on here bout the first half. Poor imo. Mooney took his 18th goal of the season well, a striker on fire. Defo a peno and had full confidence in Keane to put it away and he sure did.:) Happy out now, good win and good second half performance. Good to see Murphs playing well again, lets hope he keeps it up.:ball::)

Martinho II
07/10/2007, 1:28 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

thanks very much to the galway guys for their hospitality and kindness before and after the game. It was great craic great seein guisa saignon and galway gal again! it was depressin having to face the galway fans after the game in foxes but what can you do? just stand proud and dont get too dishartened!

as for the match the match was ours to win ! giving away the penalty was the turning point in the game sullivan was stupid for wot he did!

thanks very much for the compliments on our support. we have really sorted out our vocal support home and away this season. i know now that we are going to get relegated but this is our hardcore support and this support will be there next season even in the first division. if only those six points can be given back to us by the fai...

very impressed with the attendance at the match! i wish ye all the best luck in full time soccer!

corbyeire
07/10/2007, 5:04 PM
a crucial 3 points that we probably wouldnt have gotten near, if the penalty wasnt given - what was the longford man thinking - glynn going nowhere - happy days!

gufct
07/10/2007, 5:07 PM
Cheers its only 4/5 years ago that we seemed destined for the abyss so take heart get the supporters involved and keep the faith.i would much prefer an expanded premier division with more provincial clubs than a 10 team Pale dominated 10 team but then again were only fans.

Tir Oilean
07/10/2007, 5:41 PM
Great attendance too. 2935 is a great at this stage of the season. The PA system can still not be heard in the old stand or maybe tis just the noise from the drums. It would be great to have the Legends parade around the ground Or at least in the centre circle so every one can see them.

Maroon 7
07/10/2007, 5:59 PM
Attendance was great alright and they've stayed steadily high all season despite the bad results at home. Well done to all involved.

A nice new stand like that can pay for itself if it attracts in more casual fans who like their comforts.

Square Heir
07/10/2007, 11:25 PM
Great attendance too. 2935 is a great at this stage of the season.

Talking about potential attendances, the mouth waters at the prospect of a United team flying high in the premier division if 3,000 people are turning up for a relegation battle!
It's a great reflection on how the club is perceived in Galway now.
It would also seem to justify an investment in quality players/coaches that the board might be pondering over :)

Patrick Dunne
08/10/2007, 12:16 AM
It is important that home fixtures in Terryland Park remain accessible (price-wise) to the Galway football public. Our pricing and promotion policy has been very successful in 2007.

Not since Derry City in the 1980s has such a lowly placed club attracted such numbers to its home matches. Some EL supporters may think that I am exaggerating - I defy anyone to name a club in the last 20 years that has had a consistent 2,000 + average while positioned 10th in the Premier Divsion table.

Considering that we haven't won a senior trophy in over ten years and haven't appeared in European competition in 16 years, our home support has been excellent this year.

Conor H
08/10/2007, 7:57 AM
If we had a team challenging in thet top half of the league we would average 4000 most games with 5000+ for the big games.

Once that happens we'll be one of the biggest Clubs in the Country.Other minnows like Limerick might dispute this because of their usual agenda but i very much doubt(as PD said) any other club in the Country would get 3000 on a Friday night in October for a relegation battle versus Longford with only one win in 11 months at home prior to that game.

GuisaSaigon
08/10/2007, 9:00 AM
It would be great to have the Legends parade around the ground Or at least in the centre circle so every one can see them.
Thought the same myself, it's a great idea to honor GUFC Legends but they should have them walk out to the centre circle so people notice whats happening. Most people in the old stand hardly noticed Mull getting presented something along with some local kids who also got a presentation for something :confused:

Well done to the Longford lads, Keep the head up Martinio we'll try our best to help ye out with Waterford and Bray;)

gufct
08/10/2007, 2:23 PM
Tonys reaction to friday nights game herehttp://www.galwayunitedfc.ie/news-features/cousins-that-win-was-needed.html

Paddyfield
08/10/2007, 7:23 PM
If we had a team challenging in thet top half of the league we would average 4000 most games with 5000+ for the big games.

Once that happens we'll be one of the biggest Clubs in the Country.Other minnows like Limerick might dispute this because of their usual agenda but i very much doubt(as PD said) any other club in the Country would get 3000 on a Friday night in October for a relegation battle versus Longford with only one win in 11 moonths at home prior to that game.

Who am I to defend Limerick but in the 1980s, Limerick City FC and Limerick United FC were the undoubted kingpins of Irish football. I recall 4000+ in Rathbane and the Markets Field. The potential is there but soccer is currently way down in the pecking order behind rugby and hurling in Limerick.

That said Conor, I wholeheartedly agree with you about the potential of Galway United. GUFC has defied the odds in attracting crowds. There were 7000 in Terryland for the first game under lights in 1993 (?) against Cork, That memorable result put Galway United top of the Premier Division, albeit only for 24 hours!

Paddyfield
08/10/2007, 7:26 PM
Tonys reaction to friday nights game herehttp://www.galwayunitedfc.ie/news-features/cousins-that-win-was-needed.html

HERE IT IS.......

From www.galwayunitedfc.ie :

The reaction of Tony Cousins after Richie Winter blew the full-time whistle after 93 minutes last Friday night showed there was obvious relief as well as contentment with the victory over Longford. Cousins turned to the new stand and clinched his fist, reminiscent of his goal scoring days in League of Ireland football.
After going behind to a superbly taken Dave Mooney strike, the majority of the home supporters in the near 3,000 crowd most have feared the worst. United did not collapse and stuck to their game plan and were back in the game shortly after, courtesy of a penalty. United then dominated and deservedly took the lead with Wes Charles again grabbing another headed goal from a set piece. After the game Tony Cousins was delighted with the performance on the night of his team.
"The lads played well and I felt we deserved the win. After going a goal down we did not panic as there was still a long way to go in the game. When we equalised we created plenty of chances and took one of those chances that turned out to be the winning goal.
"I have to give credit to John Lester and John Fitzgerald at the back. Both players were struck down with illness before the game and after the game both were completely exhausted. There was a doubt as to whether they would play but they wanted to play, they gave everything on the night and were up for the challenge," Cousins said.
When United were awarded the penalty there seemed to be some confusion with who was to take it. With such a crucial period of the game about to unfold a nervous crowd looked on as Alan Keane stood up to the spot. Keane made no mistake and gave Shay Kelly little chance with an emphatic penalty.
"Derek Glynn was going to take the penalty but from my days as a striker I felt that he should not take it on this occasion as there was a chance missed in the first half by him. If Derek had converted his chance in the first half then I would be confident that he could knock home the penalty with his eyes closed. With strikers it is down to confidence during a game and I instructed Derek O'Brien to get Alan to take the spot kick. Alan was practising them in training so I had no problems with giving him the responsibility," Cousins added.

Conor H
08/10/2007, 7:29 PM
The League needs a strong Limerick side and hopefully in a few years we'll have one.

But their current set up of a shody ground,shocking attendances,crap team,little direction or ambition and their dying hatred of us makes them minnows of the highest order.

Mr A
08/10/2007, 8:02 PM
Actually Limerick are probably in a healthier state than for years. They have plans for their ground, a better team than before and have attracted a lot more fans this year than previously. For a reformed club they've made great progress in little time, and deserve a lot of credit I feel. They even have their own superstore sure :) Compared to their situation in their previous incarnation they're light years ahead, even if they have a long way to go.

Conor H
08/10/2007, 10:47 PM
Attendance v Wexford 348.
Playing in Hogan Park.
Manager wanted to join Athlone.
Mid table medriocisy again.

Anyways this isn't anything to do with Limerick.

On topic i thought it was interesting how TC went on about Glynn's confidence.Bold move with the penalty but a good one in fairness-wonder how that will do his confidence?

Tir Oilean
09/10/2007, 7:04 AM
On topic i thought it was interesting how TC went on about Glynn's confidence.Bold move with the penalty but a good one in fairness-wonder how that will do his confidence?

Ya was surpirised he came out and said something like that even if he is right. I said on the night that we were no where near guaranteed to score that peno having missed a few so was pretty happy to see Keane shaping up for it. TC is a legendary striker in this league and when it comes to a decision like that who can question him. Dont know about it bein a bold decision seen as Keano had been practicing them in training. At least he wasnt afraid to change things.

corbyeire
09/10/2007, 11:59 AM
the penalty didnt look as stonewall from the angle on tv3 last night - thougth it was a cert in the new stand

but i could easily see why it wouldnt have been given aswell

we were lucky to get it - as united went on from there!

Conor H
09/10/2007, 12:03 PM
Mr Winter has refereed us 3 times this year.

Eash time he's given a penalty.

v Longford in April(Miss) 1-1 FT.
v Derry in Brandywell(Still in the air)-Both missed by Murphy 0-0 FT.
v Longford(Goal) 2-1 FT.

If we had scored those 2 peno's that would have been an extra 4 points.That would put us ahead of UCD and we'd be 8 ahead of Waterford.....and all but safe.:(

eamo1
09/10/2007, 12:44 PM
I seen it from a good angle and he did trip him,he obviously didnt mean to but glynn was too quick and he did catch him.
i thought we should have had a second one near the end as a defender made a fine one handed save but we won so doesnt matter.

Tir Oilean
09/10/2007, 2:05 PM
Interesting but shocking stats Conor H! Murphy started very well then faded out this season and to think his two penaltys if converted would have see us midtable finishers more than likely. But then again If my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle.

gufct
09/10/2007, 2:31 PM
Oh my :p