PDA

View Full Version : Champions League 2nd Division

colster
29/04/2003, 3:13 PM
I have always thought that the UEFA competitions are biased towards the richer more powerful leagues. Especially the Champions league.

I think that a 2nd division should be set up.

This division would be made of all teams who are either pushed into the Uefa cup or fail in the pre qualifying tournament.

The eventual finalists should then get automatic qualification for Champions League 1st division in the following season.
The semifinalists should go into a playof with the bottom teams from the 1st division.

If there are too many teams then they could have a 3rd division.

I think this structure would be more fairer to smaller leagues and also help to build up these leagues.

So what do you think?

pineapple stu
29/04/2003, 5:38 PM
Surely a Second Division wouldn't get anywhere near the money the current one does? So therefore, it's not going to alleviate the difference in the clubs?

The only way to spread the money more fairly is to get rid of the Champions' League altogether, and go back to the old system of three knock-out competitions. This would also have the advantage of being far more interesting - I always thought the Cup Winners' Cup was great craic because you had all these obscure teams entering and doing really well. The Champions' League, on the other hand, is getting really stale with the same teams playing each other over and over. The solution to the problem can't be to perpetuate this model surely?

Schumi
30/04/2003, 2:29 PM
Michel Platini has said that if he gets the UEFA job, he'll change the CL to a 128 (I think) team knock out competition.