PDA

View Full Version : Comparing sentences - 8 months in jail for "gay bashing"?

eamo1
04/10/2007, 11:58 PM
there was an article in a local newspaper here in galway city about a man being given 8 months in jail for "gay bashing".he did strike the guy in the head and shout abuse at him but my friend got slashed in the neck with a stanley knife 2 years ago and the guy who did that only got 4 months.when you compare both crimes doesnt it seem strange which person got the longer sentence??my friend nearly died as the knife was inches from the jugular vein in his neck.but all those gay people kicked up a fuss about this gay bashing crime and a stiff sentence is handed out,FAIR?????
article:http://www.galwayadvertiser.ie/content/index.php?aid=8676

dahamsta
05/10/2007, 9:39 AM
I think focussing on the whole gay angle is a bit, well, homophobic in and of itself. The problem isn't with how this incident was handled, it's with how your friend's case was handled. Perhaps you should focus on that.

8 months jail for punching a guy in the face? More of this type of thing please. Harsher sentences and harsher jails will reduce crime.

adam

Dodge
05/10/2007, 9:53 AM
Why are you comparing two totally seperate incidents 2 years apart?!

Oh and schoolboy giggles at gay people looking for stiffer sentance.

Docboy
05/10/2007, 10:01 AM
"The law is an ass". There is no point comparing two sentences as it doesn't work that way. It generally works on where you're from and who you have representing you.

jebus
05/10/2007, 10:06 AM
The 8 months sentence seems about right, possibly should have been harsher given the attacker is obviously not a credit to 21st century society.

The 4 month sentence is poor, but it has no relevance to someone getting a 8 month sentence for 'gay-bashing'

noby
05/10/2007, 10:07 AM
Funny. I read the article and there's no mention of "all those gay people kicking up a fuss". It does mention that this was his second conviction for a similar offence, and he was serving a suspended sentence.

I hope your friend is ok, but don't take out your frustration on "all those gays".

DaveyCakes
05/10/2007, 11:32 AM
Hate crime laws -- A savage hypocrisy!

John83
05/10/2007, 11:34 AM
Hate crime laws -- A savage hypocrisy!
Isn't it illegal to hate hate crimes? ;)

galwayhoop
05/10/2007, 11:57 AM
you really have to wonder about the true motives of a young man (20 y.o.) going around "Gay Bashin". you have to question WHY he is doing it. I always think that it may be down to his own sexuality and his uncomfortability with it. The old: "Methinks the lady doth protest too much."

As a hetrosexual I personally don't get Homosexuality, but each to his own, live and let live.

I certainly can't understand someone going to a renowned meeting spot for homosexuals with the intention of 'thumping' one! On that basis the assault, is a pre-meditated one against a random victim and therefore deserving of a lengthy sentence imo.

As regards the 4 month sentence for the stabbing incident, well unfortunately thats just how the courts work sometimes i'm afraid!

Dodge
05/10/2007, 12:09 PM
As a hetrosexual I personally don't get Homosexuality
Not arguing with the sensible tone and message of your post but LOL @ this line

galwayhoop
05/10/2007, 12:18 PM
Not arguing with the sensible tone and message of your post but LOL @ this line

actually considered deleting that line as i felt it might detract from the overall tone of the post... me being honest I suppose