View Full Version : Memorable Moment

Pages : [1] 2

padjoe
04/10/2007, 10:52 AM
what is your most memorable moment or story supporting your team on the road

bohsmug
04/10/2007, 11:25 AM
May 2001.

One man shouts "YES" and the rest look at each other before realising that Cork had taken the lead in Tolka. Old man type happy dancing erupts on a hill in Kilkenny.

I could think of a million things from that day but that stands out the most.

City 'til half five, I'm city 'til half five....

kev mcq
04/10/2007, 11:29 AM
Brandywell, 2003. Derry City v Finn Harps promotion/relegation playoff. Kevin McHugh's equaliser for Harps in the 94th minute. We went ****in mental!!

Unfortunately extra-time wasn't so enjoyable:(

sligo23
04/10/2007, 11:43 AM
the FAI Ford Cup tie between sligo&waterford in showgrounds
we lost it on penos in the end
but it was a great cup tie

bohsmug
04/10/2007, 11:50 AM
the FAI Ford Cup tie between sligo&waterford in showgrounds
we lost it on penos in the end
but it was a great cup tie

Supporting Sligo must be crap.

Sam_Heggy
04/10/2007, 12:44 PM
Brandywell, 2003. Derry City v Finn Harps promotion/relegation playoff. Kevin McHugh's equaliser for Harps in the 94th minute. We went ****in mental!!

Unfortunately extra-time wasn't so enjoyable:(

That would be my most memorable moment too. It went from being the highest point to the lowest point in the space of 10 minutes.
The McQ goal was an absolute screamer and the Harps fans went mental, it was one of the biggest crowds ive seen in LOI and the atmosphere was second to none.
Still reckon "THAT GOAL" shouldnt have counted, the ball was rolling ;):mad:
Winning the 1st Div in 2004 in Finn Park was a special night too.

elliott06
04/10/2007, 12:49 PM
That day im sure has to be up their for the derry fans. Before we finished celebrating one goal another screamer was scored.

superfrank
04/10/2007, 12:52 PM
4-1 vs. Pats on the last day in 2001. Best Bray performance (second half) I ever saw.

Real ale Madrid
04/10/2007, 1:00 PM
Most memorable moment watching City on the road was Dalymount on the October Bank Holiday 2005 v Bohs on the run up to winning the league - incredible away support and a perfect result.

NY Hoop
04/10/2007, 1:20 PM
Wodzislaw 2003.

KOH

NY Hoop
04/10/2007, 1:29 PM
Is there any truth in the rumour that there was a lot of money that went on Shamrock Rovers that day suspicious amounts and that some firms refused to pay out over it ? It would leave that day badly tainted if that is the case ! :(

Dont know. Any truth in the rumour that you hump sheep on the Aran Islands on the weekends?

Where do you come up with such crap obsessed?

KOH

DvB
04/10/2007, 1:33 PM
Is there any truth in the rumour that there was a lot of money that went on Shamrock Rovers that day suspicious amounts and that some firms refused to pay out over it ? It would leave that day badly tainted if that is the case ! :(

FFS, talk about twilight zone stuff! Are you for real???

osarusan
04/10/2007, 2:01 PM
1. Eddie Hickey scoring from a kickout away to Galway about 10 years ago. Galway keeper Van Boxtel abusing his defenders to try and cover his own error. My dad abusing Van Boxtel for being a w@nker and a crap goalkeeper.

2. Barry Ryan scoring the fastest goal in League of Ireland history away to Kilkenny the year we got promoted under Sam Allardyce.

Celdrog
04/10/2007, 6:03 PM
Fabio lifting the ball over Mick Devine to put us 2-0 up in the 2005 cup final. That was the moment we knew we had finally won something big.

Closely followed by Danny O'Connor scoring with a header to make it 3-0 against Galway in that game to keep us in the premier division and started our crazy journey to the other end of the table.

Of course both of them will be eclipsed in a few weeks when the ref blows the final whistle in the match where the Drogs finally win the league (says he as he continues counting the chickens).

That day in gretna - That day im sure has to be up their for the derry fans. Before we finished celebrating one goal another screamer was scored.
We met a Scotsman in Norway that night who asked us how many Gretna had won by. We had great pleasure in telling him the score

pineapple stu
04/10/2007, 6:23 PM
The 89th and 90th minutes of the 2005 League Cup semi.

sligo23
04/10/2007, 6:29 PM
Supporting Sligo must be crap.

blaa blaa blaa words:p

A face
04/10/2007, 7:28 PM
May 2001.

One man shouts "YES" and the rest look at each other before realising that Cork had taken the lead in Tolka. Old man type happy dancing erupts on a hill in Kilkenny.

I could think of a million things from that day but that stands out the most.

City 'til half five, I'm city 'til half five....

So technically you were a City fan at one stage so yeah? ;)

Aren't they all, aren't they all :p

Aaron
04/10/2007, 7:42 PM
Well because I wasnt in Motherwell:mad:my favourite away City moment is when we beat Finn Harps 2-1 a few years back, Liam Coyle scored an absolute screamer, followed by a Perry Taylor rocket into the top corner, unbelievable moment. In the cup it would be last years final

dortie
04/10/2007, 7:47 PM
Beating Harps in the play-off final, and Big Liam scoring the winner on his last ever performance. Could never have scripted it !!!

sonofstan
04/10/2007, 7:48 PM
Most memorable moment watching City on the road was Dalymount on the October Bank Holiday 2005 v Bohs on the run up to winning the league - incredible away support and a perfect result.

Weird. I'm sure I was there and i can't even remember the result. Strange how one team's highpoint is the other's 'meh' - actually most of that season was 'meh'

CharlesThompson
04/10/2007, 8:18 PM
I have so many memories I remember and so memories that have been lost forever through alcohol induced,... turbulence you might say.

Obviously Kilkenny on that fateful day in 2001.

The moment when Bobby Ryan's header hit the net with only a couple of minutes left in 2003.

The Rosenborg supporters staying behind en mass in the Lerkendal Stadium and singing "Stand up if you hate Rovers" after they hammered us 4-0 in the Champions League.

What memories!!

NavanBohs
04/10/2007, 8:19 PM
One of the best was actually a match we lost - Tolka Park August 2001 - Bohs 0-1 Aberdeen. Unfortunately I wasnt at the away leg we won 2-1 in.

I was only supporting Bohs about a year, bit more maybe. That was the most nerve-wracking ending to any football match ever for me. Clinging on, 5 minutes of stoppage time. Then one of the Aberdeen lads rifles a shot in the 95th minute which I was sure was in, until Wayne Russell gets his fingertips to it to push it over. Final whistle soon after, amazing night.

micls
04/10/2007, 8:32 PM
Weird. I'm sure I was there and i can't even remember the result. Strange how one team's highpoint is the other's 'meh' - actually most of that season was 'meh'

Incredible night for us . The night most of us thought 'Yeah we're gonna win this league'. Dan Murray scoring from a corner bout 10 minutes from the end. 1000 of us going mental.

Another Dan Murray goal from a corner would be next on my list-Cyprus last year. Had been hearing for weeks how they were gonna hammer us over there. They're looking good and get the goal...we're all worried we're gone out and then we settle down, and up comes the big man and bullets it home. Cue me going absolutely mental as our players get pelted with lighters and stoned.

Bout 10 minutes later an absolutely shattered Denis Behan(couldnt handle the heat at all) is being subbed, pretends he doesnt have a clue whats going on and walks the other way, getting incredible abuse from the Apollon fans, all sorts thrown at him and he looks surprised then turns to see the board and with a bemused look claps their fans before talking his time strolling off(though Im not sure if he could have moved any faster if he'd wanted to).

Sam_Heggy
04/10/2007, 9:19 PM
Beating Harps in the play-off final, and Big Liam scoring the winner on his last ever performance. Could never have scripted it !!!

It was never a goal, the ref thought it would be fitting to let it stand when he saw it was Coyle (cnut) that scored :p

Aaron
04/10/2007, 10:19 PM
It was never a goal, the ref thought it would be fitting to let it stand when he saw it was Coyle (cnut) that scored :p

So did Declan Boyle and Ahoka Apoka:D:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SA0WVm5cpf8

Paddyfield
04/10/2007, 10:39 PM
Billy Clery's last minute winner against St Pat's in the last game of the 2000 season which kept Galway United up and effectively relegated Waterford.

I was outside the Empire State Building in New York when I got a text message from Tir Oileann which read:

"1 - 0 billy 90 mins staying up "

Happy days.

dundalksarge
05/10/2007, 12:43 AM
In turners cross when we won the league , I was VERY VERY young that day but remember running up to the legend that is Tom McNulty and getting his autograph , I'm sure Cork city fans like been reminded on this :)

Was an incredible day and one that will live with me forever.

The FAI cup final has to come close as well , Edit 2002

Sad day when we were relegated for the first time and the next season we played out first match on sunday afternoon in front of about 120 people :(

mrtndvn
05/10/2007, 3:07 AM
Sean Hagan's goal in gothenburg. The 5 second delay from after the goal was scored to when the Derry fans started celebrating. The ground went silent. Amazing

pineapple stu
05/10/2007, 7:25 AM
Billy Clery's last minute winner against St Pat's in the last game of the 2000 season which kept Galway United up and effectively relegated Waterford.

I was outside the Empire State Building in New York when I got a text message from Tir Oileann which read:

"1 - 0 billy 90 mins staying up "

Happy days.
Yeah, that was a good one too. Confirmed our spot in Europe.

CollegeTillIDie
05/10/2007, 7:33 AM
In 1984 in an early round, ( it was the replay of the First Round proper when we beat Sligo[the holders] 3-0) of the Bulmers FAI Senior Challenge Cup, someone was overheard saying'' College For Europe''! It was reported the following morning by a journalist... who put in the following '' everyone got the joke.'' Nobody laughed the following September when we drew 0-0 with Everton in the firstround first leg of the European Cup-winners Cup, in Tolka :D

Mr A
05/10/2007, 8:40 AM
The 5 second delay from after the goal was scored to when the Derry fans started celebrating.

Derry City- officially the slowest fans in Europe.

btid1
05/10/2007, 9:05 AM
I have so many memories I remember and so memories that have been lost forever through alcohol induced,... turbulence you might say.

Obviously Kilkenny on that fateful day in 2001.

The moment when Bobby Ryan's header hit the net with only a couple of minutes left in 2003.

The Rosenborg supporters staying behind en mass in the Lerkendal Stadium and singing "Stand up if you hate Rovers" after they hammered us 4-0 in the Champions League.

What memories!!

All great days but the one I think you are forgetting is a certain FAI Cup Semi-Final against the filth on a Good Friday.I think almost 10,000 packed into Dalymount.

I still remember every moment of the 90th minute winner.Liam O'Brien picks up the ball just outside the centre circle, sprays a ball out to Toccy who lifts it into the box where Neso's header was saved but only pushed out as far as the waiting Glen Crowe who smashes it home to spark scenes of absolute mayhem!!!

Will always remember him sliding on his knees towards the Jodi and me nearly getting killed in the push forward!

What a night!!!

Hitman
05/10/2007, 9:16 AM
[QUOTE=btid1;783674]

I still remember every moment of the 90th minute winner.Liam O'Brien picks up the ball just outside the centre circle...
[QUOTE]

I'm amazed that it's possible for anyone to have a happy memory of the Blob.

WoodquayBoy
05/10/2007, 9:39 AM
Martin McDonnell's late equaliser in Tolka Park in the 1985 FAI Cup semi-final v Limerick. One of my first big away games, up on the trian with the uncle. Hassle with small section of Limerick fans before the game, they go into 2 goal lead, Johnny Glynn pulls one back. Game nears the end, start moving towards exit so we'll be in time for the train back. Someone shouts 'hold on' or something like that, we all stop, crane our necks (or look thorugh people's legs, as I did) and bang. Goal. Magic.
The replay in St Mel's was great, cracking atmosphere, but because of the hassle at the two games, mammy wouldn't let me to the final, boo hoo. While we won the cup in 91, and there was Billy's late winner against Pats, that is my memorable moment.
Good thread

btid1
05/10/2007, 10:28 AM
[QUOTE=btid1;783674]

I still remember every moment of the 90th minute winner.Liam O'Brien picks up the ball just outside the centre circle...
[QUOTE]

I'm amazed that it's possible for anyone to have a happy memory of the Blob.

He was only on the field about 5 minutes and it was the only decent thing I ever remember him doing in a Bohs shirt as I am too young to remember him in his first spell at the club.

Hitman
05/10/2007, 10:57 AM
He was only on the field about 5 minutes and it was the only decent thing I ever remember him doing in a Bohs shirt as I am too young to remember him in his first spell at the club.

Sorry, I wasn't having a go, I've no idea how he played for Bohs. It's just all I can remember from his City days was him struggling to fit into the shirt.

mrtndvn
05/10/2007, 11:05 AM
Derry City- officially the slowest fans in Europe.

What would you know about European fans?

btid1
05/10/2007, 11:13 AM
Sorry, I wasn't having a go, I've no idea how he played for Bohs. It's just all I can remember from his City days was him struggling to fit into the shirt.

No probs trust me Bohs fans memories of him are very similar to your own!

sligo23
05/10/2007, 6:22 PM
Actually really enjoyed our last minute penalty win against Bohs this season. Connor kept turning around to the crowd makng daft gestures next thing i found myself going mental ! great night after.

yea that was fcukin brilliant:D:D

dancinpants
05/10/2007, 6:32 PM
For sheer volume of goals I can't decide between beating Cork 7-2, Harps 7-2, Sligo 7-2 or Galway 9-1 :confused:

SligoBrewer
05/10/2007, 9:03 PM
So technically you were a City fan at one stage so yeah? ;)

Aren't they all, aren't they all :p

i have a city shirt at home..:D

SligoBrewer
05/10/2007, 9:04 PM
btw.. cork 4-1 at home
or bohs this year

both were unreal

Higgo
06/10/2007, 2:33 PM
was in the local when shels played Split away (I could not afford to go as I had spent my money in Iceland). There were two of us havin a pint and getting txt updates from another mate who was there. Heard we were losing three one so had given up hope. At 9.16 my phone beeped again. I thought-it's either 4-1 or it's full time. To my joy, the txt read - 3-2 Moore 90mins. We both went absolutely crazy. I will never forget it. Thankfully we stuffed them in the 2nd leg. In 14 years following Shels, that tie with Split has been by a long way my best memory.

Domestically, the '96 cup final stands out. Pats were awarded a peno in the 80th minute. I was gutted. Gormley missed and 90 seconds later the ball was in the other net. Unbelievable feeling. Sadly, I doubt either of these scenarios will ever arise again. But the memories will live with me forever.

Rovers1
06/10/2007, 2:47 PM
full time V Bohs in the Showgies(:))beating Cork 2-1 in Turners this year,and the craic with the Cork lads afterwards. (this season)

Paul McT's goal in Tolka V Killester last season in extra time was pretty special, also his goal V Harps in 03' (i think) ..just for the fact id never seen Rovers beat Harps in Finn Park till that day.

biscuit
06/10/2007, 2:55 PM
gerry car getting on the end of pugsys cornor in landsdowne 1994 fai cup final.....one of the best feelings il ever have(it was before i discovered wimmin :D)....brugge in the cup winners cup when johnny kenny scored...3-3 draw with nantes on a sunday afternoon in front of a tiny crowd in the inter toto, pity more people werent there to witness it, we were 3-1 up at one stage i think!winning the league cup in tolka - great to make up for the defeat on penos in the same venue!

chippie0001
06/10/2007, 3:28 PM
Have to say hard to say one. Without doubt the day in Kilkenny when we finally won the league. A great feeling although the last few minutes as the Shels game dragged on was painful but well worth it in the end. Always wondered what it would be like to win the league in such dramatic fashion, well actually always wondered what it would be like to win the damn thing.

Also the game away in Aberdeen, 1-0 down to 2-1 up in a matter of minutes. Unreal scenes as the 2 goals went on and the start of a great season, K'Town, goals galore, our first league in a long time and a double. All down to Roddy Collins :D

NavanBohs
06/10/2007, 4:08 PM
Actually really enjoyed our last minute penalty win against Bohs this season. Connor kept turning around to the crowd makng daft gestures next thing i found myself going mental ! great night after.

Supporting Sligo isnt very exciting really is it? :)

DmanDmythDledge
06/10/2007, 8:12 PM
Only started going to away games last season so not too many memories. Winning in Drogheda and Derry this season were great results and the performance against Waterford was one of the best I've seen from us. Dundalk was a good trip as well.

Rovers fan
06/10/2007, 11:33 PM
beating killester in extra time in the cup quarters last year. A bad performance but an unforgettable game. singing"killester united" as we applauded ther players off gave me goosebumps!

SligoBrewer
06/10/2007, 11:35 PM
Supporting Sligo isnt very exciting really is it? :)
jealousy. dont worry when he goes in a tirade of abuse, you'll get your slice of the abuse sean connor pie

beating killester in extra time in the cup quarters last year. A bad performance but an unforgettable game. singing"killester united" as we applauded ther players off gave me goosebumps!

my first away game.

what a night