PDA

View Full Version : Season So Far-WYFC

Thunder-WYFC
03/10/2007, 9:36 PM
This is a short story taken from the Wexford Youths Supporters Club website,it was written by SC Chairman Denny Carthy aka Kopite.Its really about the highs and lows of supporting the Youths in our first season in the EL and is a very good read.It also shows the progression that has gone on with both the club itself and also the SC.

Season So Far Sept 07
It's a cold Sunday nights as we leave the Complex. We're satisfied, we've just drawn with Limerick 37. We did'nt win, but we did'nt lose either. As we make our way home behind us the Complex looks like a scene from "Close Encounters".

It is a far cry from 4th March 2007. Kingspan Park was the venue and Monaghan United were about to play their part in history. I was'nt there that night (coaching commitments!), instead I sat at home with the teletext on the t.v.screen, local radio in the background and two mobiles on the go. What a come back, the Youths had arrived. The first home game was not for the faint hearted. Storm force winds, driving rain and an experienced Cobh side. Over two thousand spectators ventured out to see the Youths first win in League of Ireland football. An unusual goal, but we did'nt care. What we did'nt realise at that time was these wins would be few and far between in a very long season.

Since then we have had many adventures on the road covering the length and breath of the country. We have had many "firsts" this season, the first floodlight game against Shelbourne, our first away win to Finn Harps, our first banner away to Kilkenny, the first song sheet home to Finn Harps in June, the first "flag day" at home to Kilkenny in August. Mick's effect on what we do as Supporters has been immense. His cultrual influence and Luca's translation has made our banners stand out home and away. "Youths in Viaggio" - "Youths on Tour", "Forza Youths" - "Youths Forever", "Il Youths Croc'iata" - The Youths Crusade", (The yellow cross being the banner under which the Italian Knights marched).

We have become almost like a family, the same familiar faces at all the games, all differing opinions on team selection and tactics. The one common thread through all is the warmness and friendliness they bring to the Complext from Mick, his staff, the players right through to the stewards, ticket office, shop/bar and last but not least the Supporters. The commitment and sacrafice I have seen from the players is unbelievable. The change in diet, coaching, time off work, long distances for away matches, it is endless, yet we criticise their every mistake, but cheeer every magic moment.

I had Stuart Lawlor present medals to Wexford Albion Under 7's during the summer. The kids were in "awe," getting a medal from a "Wexford Youth", player. The only comparison I could give is Gerard, Ronaldo, and co. would not have had the same effect. My daughter who is eight years old gets goose pimples every time she sees Patsy and my son wants "Sinnott No. 10" on his jersey (this will never happen, he did'nt play for Albion!). This is probably the greatest compliment I could give these guys.

On the road we have had our funny moments, Niall O'Brien heading the ball back into play from the Stand, two games in a row has to be the first, singing "we want Wallace out" after Noel and Seanie guided us to our win in Athlone (this was done while Mick and Noel were on the phone).

The 21's kicked off in June. I have not traveled to too many away games, but have seen all the home ones. Some of the talent on display is tremendous. They say football is a form of religion, then trying to preach the Gospel is what I call looking at the bigger picture. Go look at the 21's and 18's. Some of these players have made the step up to Senior level already. Give it another 2-3 years and we will have a team to grace any field of dreams.

The Supporters Club was set up mid way through the season. It has achieved quite a lot already. We have a website, fan cards, badges etc., but it is at a standstill at the moment. Getting a good base for next season is what it's main aim is. The Supporters Club has tried to run buses to away games and flag days for something different, but the response has been poor. However, we keep going, in time this too shall change.

We have noticed in the last few games the crowd getting more vocal, there are people who sing and there are people who don't, but all the songs are on the website, and all can be sung with children present. I think we have all heard of the twelfth man so we're just doing our bit.

Mick Wallace had a dream that is now a reality ................ Forza Youths!

Denis Carthy.
Chairman,
Wexford Youths Supporters Club.

jebus
03/10/2007, 10:09 PM
Seriously Wallace and his cronies needs to stop taking Italy as a point of reference in everything, the start of that is practically lifted from A Season With Verona

passinginterest
04/10/2007, 9:45 AM
Seriously Wallace and his cronies needs to stop taking Italy as a point of reference in everything, the start of that is practically lifted from A Season With Verona

Why stop? It makes us different, the Italian philosophy is what drives Wallace, it's his passion and he is trying to instill it into his club. If the supporters want to piggy back the idea and produce unique banners what's the harm? It's hard to stop taking Italy as a point of reference for everything when it patently is the biggest influence on the club.

Forza Youths, as they say. :ball:

jebus
04/10/2007, 9:57 AM
Not saying stop, I quite like it, and I too am a huge fan of the Italian game, as are quite a few of my fellow L37 fans, so I see why Wallace would try and bring a bit of it over here. Its just, well its seen in every little thing Wexford do isn't it?

* Our supporters club team is to be called Hellas Luimni in honour of Verona, we bring along a Lazio flag to our games, we crumble under the slightest bit of pressure in important matches

passinginterest
04/10/2007, 10:02 AM

You did say stop ;)

Not saying stop, I quite like it, and I too am a huge fan of the Italian game, as are quite a few of my fellow L37 fans, so I see why Wallace would try and bring a bit of it over here. Its just, well its seen in every little thing Wexford do isn't it?

* Our supporters club team is to be called Hellas Luimni in honour of Verona, we bring along a Lazio flag to our games, we crumble under the slightest bit of pressure in important matches

But you've taken it back now so all is forgiven. It should be a classic Italian 0-0 on Friday night so. :)

jebus
04/10/2007, 10:08 AM
But you've taken it back now so all is forgiven. It should be a classic Italian 0-0 on Friday night so. :)

We should be so lucky. If the 21s match last sunday is anything to go by just throw a few of those Aryan Superman that Wexford have into the box for set pieces and you'll get a goal or two. Seriously seeing all those 6'4 fair haired Wexford players in all black brought back some repressed memories, possibly from a previous life, or maybe from watching Schindler's List last week, of what it was like in Hitler's Germany.

:p

Lim till i die
04/10/2007, 11:20 AM
* Our supporters club team is to be called Hellas Luimni in honour of Verona,

Probably as much to do with some of our fans love as facism as Italy in fairness

we bring along a Lazio flag to our games, we crumble under the slightest bit of pressure in important matches

Also have a Hellas flag

Would have two if one didn't go missing in Queenstown ;)

Plus don't forget SLK Alice bands and our love affair with shady financial practises

Ash
04/10/2007, 11:28 AM
Did Mick Wallace miss some of your matches this season due to
being over in Italy watching Juve? Cant remember who told me
that so just wondering if theres any truth to it?

passinginterest
04/10/2007, 11:42 AM
Did Mick Wallace miss some of your matches this season due to
being over in Italy watching Juve? Cant remember who told me
that so just wondering if theres any truth to it?

I think he missed a game or two when he was in Italy with the Wexford u16s. It's an annual trip that marks the start of what used to be a three or four year journey with Wallace up to the u18s. Now that will hopefully extend to u21 and senior.

I'd imagine he will have to start deciding where he wants to dedicate most of his time, as it looks like an impossible task to continue managing the u16, 18, 21 and senior sides. I remember him lamenting the fact that he didn't give enough time to the very talented group of under 16s he had this season.

Ash
04/10/2007, 11:45 AM
Ah, that makes a lot more sense. I thought it odd that he would miss
some of his own teams games just to head off and watch Juve!

He must be run off his feet if he's looking after all the teams from U16
upwards :ball:

passinginterest
04/10/2007, 11:50 AM
Ah, that makes a lot more sense. I thought it odd that he would miss
some of his own teams games just to head off and watch Juve!

He must be run off his feet if he's looking after all the teams from U16
upwards :ball:

Pretty much seems to be the case. Although the youth teams season doesn't cross over with the senior and under 21 too much. I think he might hand the under 16s and maybe 21s to someone else.

He missed a few of the 21s games for trips to Turin. Although with his vineyard and apartment and all that jazz over there I suppose he has to spend some time away.

jebus
04/10/2007, 11:56 AM
Probably been asked before but what is the Youths set up? Is Wallace the manager with O'Connor as coach and Dolan as director of football or whats the situation?

passinginterest
04/10/2007, 12:00 PM
Probably been asked before but what is the Youths set up? Is Wallace the manager with O'Connor as coach and Dolan as director of football or whats the situation?

Wallace is certainly manager, O'Connor seems to do most of the coaching and has taken charge of the under 21 side a few times. I suppose he's really assistant manager. Dolan isn't in a recognised role, as far as I'm aware he is only ever referred to as an 'advisor' to Wallace. That said he is in the dugout for most matches and had a fairly high profile bust up with one squad member, he's known to give team talks and take training sessions too.

Red Youth
04/10/2007, 4:01 PM
Wallace is manager and owner.
Noel O'Connor is coach and he's assisted by Seanie O'Shea (he has been involved with U16s and 18s over the years with Wallace).
Dolan is a ‘friend of the club’ – no official title, does a bit of everything but is heavily involved in coaching and gets to a great amount of games, especially considering he is working for Setanta and based in Dublin

Italian influence comes from Wallace directly and when he’s the manager and owner then no real choice. However, everyone at the club has embraced it and it’s unique so why does there have to be something wrong with it?

The man is the embodiment of passion and dedication to sport. He coaches from U16 up to senior, runs a highly successful construction company in Dublin and owns a number of wine bars and restaurants in the capital and Wexford. Possibly doing too much and may need to focus on the football more to succeed, but his ambition, drive and dedication are admirable, to say the least.

Denis (Kopite) and the Supporters club have been fantastic this year and are great ambassadors for the club. Roll on next year and hopefully more of those powerful U21s will come through. I heard they were excellent against Limerick on Saturday in their 2-0 victory, against a strong Limerick side.

Mr A
04/10/2007, 4:04 PM
Italian influence comes from Wallace directly and when he’s the manager and owner then no real choice. However, everyone at the club has embraced it and it’s unique so why does there have to be something wrong with it?

Because we're Irish and we're begrudgers.

Now conform or f**k right off.

DmanDmythDledge
04/10/2007, 5:36 PM
I'd imagine he will have to start deciding where he wants to dedicate most of his time, as it looks like an impossible task to continue managing the u16, 18, 21 and senior sides. I remember him lamenting the fact that he didn't give enough time to the very talented group of under 16s he had this season.
I think he said before the season started that he would step aside once the club has been established in the league, or something along those lines.

Youths4Ever
04/10/2007, 7:31 PM
Personally I enjoy the Italian connection gives us a unique identity.
Even our name comes from Wallace's love of all things Italian.

Tis-smeee
04/10/2007, 9:34 PM
Did ye learn to use the floodlights downthere yet?

micls
04/10/2007, 9:36 PM
Did ye learn to use the floodlights downthere yet?

Nah the instructions were in Italian

Tis-smeee
04/10/2007, 9:55 PM
And not even a fine, some craic

ForzaWexford
05/10/2007, 10:47 AM
A very good article from a very dedicated supporter!

It's blatantly obvious to me that the team has improved an awful lot over the season. Fair enough, of our 30 league games so far we've lost 16 - however 10 of these defeats have been by a single goal. Dundalk have beaten us 4-0 in May, 3-0 in July and 2-0 in September.The only other teams to beat us by more than 1 goal have been Athlone {away}, Limerick{away} and Monaghan {away}.

Granted, we're in 9th place at the moment - and I can see Kilkenny pipping us to 9th come the end of the season - but we're not doing too bad considering the lack of experience in the squad. We've beaten Finn Harps up in Ballybofey and have taken 5 points from 12 against Cobh. The U21's have 24 points from 13 games and look like qualifying for the knockout stages. We've drawn our last 3 games and have looked a lot more comfortable on the ball - even if we do play too defensive at times.

As far as Mick's heavy workload goes, I'm 90% sure he wasn't over the U-16's 2 years ago, but he did take them back this year. It's hard to know what he'll do now seen as both the 16's and 18's run during the eL off season. He definitely won't let anyone near his 18's, but I don't think he's too pushed about the 16's. I don't see too much distinction between the 21's and the eL side as a lot of players have played for both teams, and I'm sure these will continue to train together, with Mick managing both sides.

I definitely expect the team to do better next year. There's a lot of youngsters waiting to prove their worth, and having played with practically all of them I can say that they will definitely improve the squad and give us a few more options in midfield and up front.

And as regards Ash's question over Wallaces absence from our games to watch Juve play......well, to be honest, I wouldn't be surprised! Wexford Youths aren't his only passion in life. I can't remember the specifics but between the two teams we've had a few rescheduled games this year, one of which Mick refused to play on the proposed rescheduled date because it clashed with the Slovakia v Ireland game. I wonder was it just a coincidence this clashed with the Italy v France match!

Anyways, next season should see an improved Youths side...as Yazz would say, the only way is up! :ball:

DmanDmythDledge
06/10/2007, 8:24 PM
I can't remember the specifics but between the two teams we've had a few rescheduled games this year, one of which Mick refused to play on the proposed rescheduled date because it clashed with the Slovakia v Ireland game. I wonder was it just a coincidence this clashed with the Italy v France match!
I'm almost certain he said somewhere that he was at the Italy-France match.

kopite
07/10/2007, 9:22 AM
nice to see my article stirred up some passion in limerick!
as for reading a book on verona,not a hope-i'm a kopite of 30 years and more[definetly more],first game on the kop was one of shanklys last league games in charge.wallace missed only one game this season away to athlone,it was harvest season in the vineyard,did miss the 21s game in limerick last week,was at the turin derby and earlier the milan game.
i say it again......"we have miles to go before we sleep"