PDA

View Full Version : League Champions

Pages : [1] 2

Navandrog
02/10/2007, 10:25 PM
I think with tonights result I can say Drogheda United 2007 Premier League Champions:p:o:D

michaelguineys
02/10/2007, 10:35 PM
Whilst it is (unfortunately) the most likely scenario, i wouldnt be counting your chickens just yet.............
If we beat Rovers on Fri and our game in hand v UCD on monday we are 5 points behind you.
If Rovers beat Drogheda and we beat Bray on the weekend of Oct 12th, then we are 2 points behind you.
And if we beat ye the following week, we are top by a point.

A LOT of ifs and buts I know, but I wouldnt be celebrating just yet.

Risteard
02/10/2007, 10:40 PM
I've been holding back those thoughts michaelguineys.
I think its feasible.
It would certainly be an amazing capitulation though.
I'm a big disbeliever of the whole make-or-break match thing but a draw in the Cross Friday would put an end to it all.*

I guess you could say it would put a spring in the step of the Boooinnngsiders.
Huh?
Spring?
Boynesiders?
Booiiinng, nah?

michaelguineys
02/10/2007, 10:46 PM
I've been holding back those thoughts michaelguineys.
I think its feasible.
It would certainly be an amazing capitulation though.

I know it's a hell of a long shot and we have probably left it too late at this stage but it aint over til its over and i think we have done well the past few weeks to have been able to claw our way (mathematically at least!) back into this title race

Saint MacDara
02/10/2007, 10:51 PM
Pat's and Cork will probably cancel eachother out of the title race for good with a draw in a few weeks.

But if one of us does succeed in beating the other and win all their remaining games that might just be enough to wipe the smiles off the faces of the Drogs.

Dyl10
02/10/2007, 10:56 PM
I think with tonights result I can say Drogheda United 2007 Premier League Champions:p:o:

Why would you say something like that?
I am delighted with tonights result, but you are just looking to be shot down or worse, proved wrong:rolleyes:

feo123
02/10/2007, 10:56 PM
we'll beat drogheda on friday and that';ll help shams and cork out ;)

michaelguineys
02/10/2007, 10:57 PM
Pat's and Cork will probably cancel eachother out of the title race for good with a draw in a few weeks.

But if one of us does succeed in beating the other and win all their remaining games that might just be enough to wipe the smiles off the faces of the Drogs.

To be honest I would love nothing more than for someone (hopefully us!) to swipe that title from right underneath Drogheda's nose!!

michaelguineys
02/10/2007, 10:58 PM
we'll beat drogheda on friday and that';ll help shams and cork out ;)

Yes please!

feo123
02/10/2007, 11:00 PM
Yes please!

how many goals would you like us to score? goal difference might help ;)
i'll get onto faz and judgy!

michaelguineys
02/10/2007, 11:04 PM
how many goals would you like us to score? goal difference might help ;)
i'll get onto faz and judgy!

a 4 or 5-0 would be nice but i'd settle for a 1-0:D

feo123
02/10/2007, 11:05 PM
a 4 or 5-0 would be nice but i'd settle for a 1-0:D

i'll ask for 3nil so, just in between!

seriously though, this league is so unpredictable, anyone can beat anyone on their day...the race isnt over yet

Celdrog
03/10/2007, 7:48 AM
If we beat Rovers on Fri and our game in hand v UCD on monday we are 5 points behind you.
If Rovers beat Drogheda and we beat Bray on the weekend of Oct 12th, then we are 2 points behind you.

You may need to do the maths again, we are 11 points ahead of you

Mr A
03/10/2007, 7:51 AM
I guess you could say it would put a spring in the step of the Boooinnngsiders.
Huh?
Spring?
Boynesiders?
Booiiinng, nah?

In fairness, no.

Hell no.

micls
03/10/2007, 8:07 AM
Whilst it is (unfortunately) the most likely scenario, i wouldnt be counting your chickens just yet.............

That'l only be true if Drogs lose Friday.

Now they are 11 ahead. We have 1 game in hand. Even if we win that and beat Drogs away we'l still be 5 points off.

Soooo in short, it's over.

Rossi
03/10/2007, 8:22 AM
I think it was around this time last year that people were saying Doolin was clutching to ever shortening straws........tis great its the other way around this year!......success is sweet!

superfrank
03/10/2007, 8:25 AM
Yez haven't won anything yet.

sonofstan
03/10/2007, 8:26 AM
I think it's over - Drogs have to lose three times out of the remaining six - or not win more than twice - for anyone else to have a chance; given they've only lost three times all season, this isn't likely. The race is now for second.

CJTheGull
03/10/2007, 9:09 AM
Listen don't be getting too cocky - it's not over until you can't be caught mathematically and that won't be for another few games so don't be counting your proverbials too soon Drogheda - remember Standard Liege in the Belgian Championship in late '91? No neither do I. :cool:

michaelguineys
03/10/2007, 9:27 AM
I think it's over - Drogs have to lose three times out of the remaining six - or not win more than twice - for anyone else to have a chance; given they've only lost three times all season, this isn't likely. The race is now for second.

Ya you are probably right and there is probably a 99% chance that they will win the league but that 1% is still there and while it is, us, pats and rovers will keep on fighting.
The league has gone down to the last day the last 3 years, hopefully we can all play our part and make it happen again this year

SunderlandBohs
03/10/2007, 9:47 AM
Where were all you Drogheda Utd fans when they were bottom of the first div?!:DAll joking a side, it's an amazing turn around from been the laughing stock of the LOI to been champions elected in the space of maybe 7-8 years? People seem to foget that. It's there title to lose. I'm just hoping Rovers don't win the league.

DvB
03/10/2007, 9:51 AM
Ya you are probably right and there is probably a 99% chance that they will win the league but that 1% is still there and while it is, us, pats and rovers will keep on fighting.
The league has gone down to the last day the last 3 years, hopefully we can all play our part and make it happen again this year

TBH the fact that Rovers, Cork & Pats are fighting for at least second place between them may just lend them that competitive edge to keep some pressure on Drogheda, however as pointed out in another post above it would still require Drogheda to lose 3 games out of 6, TBH i just cant see that happening given they've lost only that amount in their previous 27 games!

Whatever about Cork winning the majority of their games in the run in Pats havent a chance of picking up 15/16 points in that time, our fixtures are well difficult and with our late run of injuries & suspensions cant see us picking up that amount either, it leaves a slim (at best) chance for Cork but TBH it just aint gonna happen!!

The fat lady is warming up folks, Rovers Cork & pats are playing for europe & setanta now IMO.

Koh

ColinR
03/10/2007, 9:58 AM
its definately ours to lose, but there is no point in celerbrating or gloating until its finally won.

we've waited long enough to win a league, i don't see a problem in waiting a few more weeks.

sonofstan
03/10/2007, 10:06 AM
hopefully we can all play our part and make it happen again this year

You make it sound like one of those 'for the good of the league' things, like supporting each other in Europe!
Actually such is the depth of my Bohemian bitterness, i would like to see City get second just to keep Pat's or Rowfuss out of Europe; just as long as we win the cup.

Magicme
03/10/2007, 10:10 AM
The fat lady is warming up folks, Rovers Cork & pats are playing for europe & setanta now IMO.

Koh

*clears her throat & starts practising scales*

michaelguineys
03/10/2007, 10:11 AM
You make it sound like one of those 'for the good of the league' things, like supporting each other in Europe!
Actually such is the depth of my Bohemian bitterness, i would like to see City get second just to keep Pat's or Rowfuss out of Europe; just as long as we win the cup.

It is good for the league because if it goes down to the last day it will generate more publicity and more interest and might even attract a few new fans to the league

ndrog
03/10/2007, 11:03 AM
I think with tonights result I can say Drogheda United 2007 Premier League Champions:p:o

Fcuk sake give it a rest ! im a nervous wreck .Nothing is won yet :eek:

pineapple stu
03/10/2007, 12:33 PM
To be honest I would love nothing more than for someone (hopefully us!) to swipe that title from right underneath Drogheda's nose!!
You're just saying that because you're obsessed with Doolin. Your blind hatred is so obvious. Why don't you just get over it? :rolleyes:

All joking a side, it's an amazing turn around from been the laughing stock of the LOI to been champions elected in the space of maybe 7-8 years? People seem to foget that.
I know the Drogs fans are going to jump down my throat again with incoherent rants, but it's not really amazing that Drogs have turned around so much given the amount of money being pumped into them. Their losses for the year are two and a half times the budgets of the smaller clubs. If they didn't win anything with that, questions would have to be asked. No-one can sensibly compete with them now that Shels are gone.

michaelguineys
03/10/2007, 12:55 PM
You're just saying that because you're obsessed with Doolin. Your blind hatred is so obvious. Why don't you just get over it? :rolleyes:

When have i ever mentioned Doolin in any of my posts??
I just don't like Drogheda.
End of!

Drogman.
03/10/2007, 1:20 PM
End of!

He's just trying to recruit more people into the "UCD are jealous of Doolin Society" or the UJDS for short :p

TheBoss
03/10/2007, 1:34 PM
Drogheda United need 10 points from 18 points. Very possible and gettable against these teams:

Fri, Oct 5 Home Sligo Rovers
Fri, Oct 12 Away Shamrock Rovers
Fri, Oct 19 Home Cork City
Fri, Oct 26 Away Waterford Utd
Fri, Nov 2 Home Bray Wanderers
Fri, Nov 9 Away St. Pats

Ebmania
03/10/2007, 1:39 PM
Looks like Rovers are gonna bottle there chance at second. Could well see them losing out to Pats and Cork with a 4th place finish.

Tir Oilean
03/10/2007, 2:09 PM
[QUOTE=Saint MacDara;781958]Pat's and Cork will probably cancel eachother out of the title race for good with a draw in a few weeks.QUOTE]

Ye just about beat a second string United in Terryland. Dont think ye'll beat Cork City in their present form especially with Dinny Behans form.

Drogs are pretty much home and dry but there are still a bucket load of points to play for for so be careful about runing away with those thoughts of the title. I'm sure the squad wont be thinking like that

mandrake
03/10/2007, 2:10 PM

get back down to earth man... stop kiddin yourself.

actually your remarks remind of the time we wiped the smile of your face in landsdowne AND tolka...!!!:D

Dodge
03/10/2007, 2:14 PM
Think Drogheda will win it in Waterford. Wins v Sligo, Cork & Waterford with a draw v Rovers.

It'll be tight between Cork, Pats and Rovers for the mionor places. Bohs might creep into 4th but that’s it for them IMO.

ndrog
03/10/2007, 2:16 PM

I know the Drogs fans are going to jump down my throat again with incoherent rants, but it's not really amazing that Drogs have turned around so much given the amount of money being pumped into them. Their losses for the year are two and a half times the budgets of the smaller clubs. If they didn't win anything with that, questions would have to be asked. No-one can sensibly compete with them now that Shels are gone.

I wolud like to apologise on behalf of all the Drogheda united supporters who watched there team fail miserably for years , winning nothing and getting relegated on a regular basis .How dare someone come in and invest money to try and win the leauge ? Just who the hell do we think we are .We ought to be ashamed of ourselves :(

Stato
03/10/2007, 2:24 PM
If results of the remaining games were to be identical to the first round of fixtures the final table would look like this:

Team P W D L F A Diff Pts
Drogheda United 33 19 10 4 53 27 26 67
St Patricks Ath 33 17 8 8 51 30 21 59
Cork City 33 15 12 6 46 34 12 57
Shamrock Rovers 33 16 7 10 40 22 18 55
Bohemians 33 12 13 8 34 19 15 49
Derry City 33 11 13 9 29 23 6 46
Sligo Rovers 33 13 5 15 35 48 -13 44
UCD 33 9 12 12 35 38 -3 39
Galway United 33 5 16 12 26 34 -8 31
Bray Wanderers 33 8 7 18 28 51 -23 31
Longford Town* 33 7 10 16 32 54 -22 25
Waterford Utd 33 6 7 20 20 49 -29 25

But, as they say in all the best pensions adverts, past performance is not a guide to future performance.

michaelguineys
03/10/2007, 3:24 PM
get back down to earth man... stop kiddin yourself.

actually your remarks remind of the time we wiped the smile of your face in landsdowne AND tolka...!!!:D

Yip, and now we want payback!
:D
Seriously though, I do think ye will win it, I'd just love it to go down to the last day

jimhacker
03/10/2007, 3:24 PM
I think with tonights result I can say Drogheda United 2007 Premier League Champions:p:o:D

With last night's result, all you can say is that Bray have improved their chances of staying up!

jimhacker
03/10/2007, 3:28 PM
Drogheda United need 10 points from 18 points. Very possible and gettable against these teams:

Fri, Oct 5 Home Sligo Rovers
Fri, Oct 12 Away Shamrock Rovers
Fri, Oct 19 Home Cork City
Fri, Oct 26 Away Waterford Utd
Fri, Nov 2 Home Bray Wanderers
Fri, Nov 9 Away St. Pats

And if they were to lose to Rovers and Cork City - that leaves them needing 10 from 12.

Different proposition altogether!

Far from over!

Dodge
03/10/2007, 3:39 PM
You're presuming Cork or Rovers will win all their remaining games...

Danny
03/10/2007, 3:50 PM
i think it'll be drogs to win, mainly cos all the teams at the top will take points off each other between now and the end of the season
this w/e the top6 play each other and in 2 weeks the top4 do
cant see anyone going unbeaten between now and end of season and thats what pats/rovers/cork need to do

TheBoss
03/10/2007, 4:01 PM
And if they were to lose to Rovers and Cork City - that leaves them needing 10 from 12.

Different proposition altogether!

Far from over!

But they virtually have to win all of their games, which is unlikely.

jimhacker
03/10/2007, 4:25 PM
But they virtually have to win all of their games, which is unlikely.

Unlikely.

But, far from impossible.

Last third of 2004 season - Cork City's record read W 11 D 1 L 0.

We still have loads of players who know what it is to put that sort of run together.

Squeaky Doolin time!

DmanDmythDledge
03/10/2007, 4:34 PM
Cork are in the best form out of any team in the league. Given that and the team they have they are the best placed team to put pressure Drogs. It's not inconceivable that they could drop 10 points from Rovers, Cork, Waterford and Pats, although I doubt that they will.

pineapple stu
03/10/2007, 11:00 PM
End of!
Sorry; thought you'd been around to understand that was a parody of the usual Drog response to any sort of criticism.

I know the Drogs fans are going to jump down my throat again with incoherent rants

I wolud like to apologise on behalf of all the Drogheda united supporters who watched there team fail miserably for years , winning nothing and getting relegated on a regular basis .How dare someone come in and invest money to try and win the leauge ? Just who the hell do we think we are .We ought to be ashamed of ourselves :(
Always one. Thanks ndrog. Maybe think before you type next time; it'd make a change.

Navandrog
05/10/2007, 11:19 PM
Corkies hav you accepted the fact yet. Champions Champions Champions, Super Drogs :):)

Brendan
06/10/2007, 9:40 AM
Were you at the game tonight ? What did you think. BTW Congrats on the league.

Overall I think we were worth the three points. Certainly had the bulk of the chances though it looked like poor finishing was going to cost us. That said, Sligo could have easily have won it. Very good ten minute spell in the second half forced a couple of really good saves from Connor - one of them absolute class. Not to mention another quality save in the first half. I think if we play like that (well aside from the finishing) from now to the end, we will definitely win it. Still not counting any chickens yet though;)

The remarkable thing about our season for me is that despite being joint top scorers in the league, our own highest individual scorer still has only seven goals!

Navandrog
06/10/2007, 11:17 AM
Were you at the game tonight ? What did you think. BTW Congrats on the league.

Yes was a good game Sligo were on the back foot alot but defended very well and only for Dan could have nicked it. I thought our goal would never come

feo123
06/10/2007, 11:54 AM
might be being slighly bias but thought we were worth a point. we defended brilliantly all night really, just the one time no body picked up their man, drogs scored. well done anyway