PDA

View Full Version : Finn harps....what a season

harpsman2000
02/10/2007, 6:40 PM
long way to go yet

but what a turn around harps have achieved.........one stage we were 18 points from the top sitting 2nd bottom

now this week we are sitting top by a point

drogheda will probally be the success story of the eircom league this year

but i think if harps win the league it would out do that achievement

Paul Hegarty is a legend

micls
02/10/2007, 6:42 PM

Rovers will imo.

While i agree with your points surely the legend shouldnt have had such a talented squad in that position in the first place ;) Saying that its a great comeback

Conor H
02/10/2007, 7:42 PM
long way to go yet

but what a turn around harps have achieved.........one stage we were 18 points from the top sitting 2nd bottom

now this week we are sitting top by a point

but i think if harps win the league it would out do that achievement

Paul Hegarty is a legend

Don't agree.
Rovers incredible run and Drogheda's first title will far outweigh Harps winning the 1st Divison.
Good comeback and good to see crowds finally returning to ballybofey for the 1st time in about 3 years.

lofty9
02/10/2007, 7:56 PM
I hope Higgsy gets Harps up this season as he is a legend IMO. The hardest working, committed and driven man in football management in this country by miles. The Derry board should be ashamed of themselves by their lack of respect towards Paul last season. He's had a very tough time off the pitch this year too in which he missed a few games. Ably assisted by the most laid back man in football too!

bellavistaman
02/10/2007, 8:26 PM
What about our run of 27 unbeaten. Na?

micls
02/10/2007, 8:27 PM
What about our run of 27 unbeaten. Na?

If ye win the title itl be impressive. If ye dont it'l be a waste. You can be unbeaten in every game and finish on 36 points....not gonna win anything though

Sam_Heggy
02/10/2007, 9:41 PM
Higsy has done a great job BUT, the club set the budjet with being in this position in mind at the end of the season. yes I know Athlone and Dundalk done the same but we did expect to be here at this stage in the season.
Now Scully, as much as it pains me to say, has done a remarkable job, whether they hold out for 2nd or finish 3rd, either way its a massive achievment for a team just promoted and really haven't spent a fortune either. Imo they would have set out at the start of the season just hoping to stay up. This is why this is the story of this season.
Drogs winning their 1st league title is no surprize in all honesty, with the money spent and players brought in, it would have been more of a shock had they not won the league.

Theskinloyal
02/10/2007, 10:44 PM
But all I'll remember was the spitting...

Sam_Heggy
03/10/2007, 7:53 AM
But all I'll remember was the spitting...

Im sure Keeley has done other things this season. :rolleyes:

Mr A
03/10/2007, 7:56 AM
Too early to be carried away yet in all fairness. Great run we've had but we needed it because our start was so dreadful. We can judge things after the last league match- until then don't be jinxing it!

Lim till i die
03/10/2007, 9:17 AM
Our turnarounds in the past two seasons have been every bit as spectacular

Just the otherway round is all :p

NY Hoop
03/10/2007, 10:09 AM
Higsy has done a great job BUT, the club set the budjet with being in this position in mind at the end of the season. yes I know Athlone and Dundalk done the same but we did expect to be here at this stage in the season.
Now Scully, as much as it pains me to say, has done a remarkable job, whether they hold out for 2nd or finish 3rd, either way its a massive achievment for a team just promoted and really haven't spent a fortune either. Imo they would have set out at the start of the season just hoping to stay up. This is why this is the story of this season.
Drogs winning their 1st league title is no surprize in all honesty, with the money spent and players brought in, it would have been more of a shock had they not won the league.

Dont know why it pains you to commment about Scully. Anyway not bothered who wins the first as long as its not dundalk. But wouldnt write them off yet. From a selfish point of view we always love the trip to Harps but since they stupidly put back their games to friday night my preference would be Cobh coming up as they play saturday nights.

KOH

Rovers1
03/10/2007, 10:23 AM
hope harps come up and waterford go down, a trip up Bundoran way is always nicer than a 5 hour trip through carlow!

Magicme
03/10/2007, 10:43 AM
I want Cobh to go up and Longford to come down & Waterford to stay where they are purely for the logistics of it.

harpstilidie
03/10/2007, 10:53 AM
Scully has done a terrific job at Shamrock Rovers and is my manager of the season in the premier. No surprise about drogheda imo. But what harps have done this season has been incredible. The run has been incredible and it would be interesting to see if any team has actually has topped it over the years.

Conor H
03/10/2007, 10:54 AM
How many have ye won in a row?

Mr A
03/10/2007, 10:55 AM
Four :)

Rams-07
03/10/2007, 12:00 PM
Must say Finn Harps deserve all the credit they are getting.But with the wages that they are paying they would expect to be up there at this time.I heard that one player is on 1500e per week which is crazy money for 1st division.When you consider that Cobh Ramblers Total wage bill is 2500e per week I think Hendo deserves a lot of credit for what he has done.

Mr A
03/10/2007, 12:21 PM
I heard that one player is on 1500e per week which is crazy money for 1st division.

100% not true- you've been misinformed there. I would be surprised if our top earner was making a third of that to be honest. Our total wage bill is probably in the region of 6-7k per week, which is a fair bit, but not totally insane either.

bellavistaman
03/10/2007, 12:28 PM
If ye win the title itl be impressive. If ye dont it'l be a waste. You can be unbeaten in every game and finish on 36 points....not gonna win anything though

Correct, on all levels my man. But i could go into the start of the season and no money no team and all that to try win over a few fans but i wont, or did i just:eek:. But Scully and Rovers the success story for me. Closely followed by us.

Our turnarounds in the past two seasons have been every bit as spectacular

Just the otherway round is all
Brilliant:D

100% not true- you've been misinformed there. I would be surprised if our top earner was making a third of that to be honest. Our total wage bill is probably in the region of 6-7k per week, which is a fair bit, but not totally insane either.

Ya but after a chat with few of your fans we found out yere budget is 4 times our one. Suspensions are killing us at the moment, **** refereeing has destroyed us especially in harps last wek. Hes a costly ****er that fella:D

Sam_Heggy
03/10/2007, 12:33 PM
I heard that one player is on 1500e per week which is crazy money for 1st division.When you consider that Cobh Ramblers Total wage bill is 2500e per week I think Hendo deserves a lot of credit for what he has done.

Where you hear that? We have a total wage bill of circa €7000. How many players in the prem are getting that kind of money? :rolleyes: It would be great to be able to pay players that kind of money but not a hope. We don't even have a camera man at home games due to budget restraints. With our stadium due to start within the next 3-5 months it would be mad to go spending that kind of money on players in the 1st Division.

Sam_Heggy
03/10/2007, 12:37 PM
Ya but after a chat with few of your fans we found out yere budget is 4 times our one. Suspensions are killing us at the moment, **** refereeing has destroyed us especially in harps last wek. Hes a costly ****er that fella

Jesus bella I thought ya were a smart enough fella from chattin to ya last week but now, your mad in the head :p The ref gave ye a peno, not our fault yer fella hadn't the bottle ;) He gave ye most 50-50 decisions but hey, lets blame the ref :D

Lim till i die
03/10/2007, 12:51 PM
When you consider that Cobh Ramblers Total wage bill is 2500e per week

That's a lie

It's small, but it aint that small

I think Hendo deserves a lot of credit for what he has done

This on the otherhand is true

fbtn
03/10/2007, 12:58 PM
Dont know why it pains you to commment about Scully. Anyway not bothered who wins the first as long as its not dundalk. But wouldnt write them off yet. From a selfish point of view we always love the trip to Harps but since they stupidly put back their games to friday night my preference would be Cobh coming up as they play saturday nights.

KOH

That's it! Automatic barring from the next Ballybofey lock-in for you!

And I want my book back ;)

I agree with you totally re: Friday games. Most fans think they're a balls and we've argued our case with the club to no avail. As there was well over 3000 at the game last Friday night they probably feel that they're vindicated so unfortunately it will probably continue next season regardless of what division we're in.

Mr_T
03/10/2007, 12:58 PM
Must say Finn Harps deserve all the credit they are getting.But with the wages that they are paying they would expect to be up there at this time.I heard that one player is on 1500e per week which is crazy money for 1st division.When you consider that Cobh Ramblers Total wage bill is 2500e per week I think Hendo deserves a lot of credit for what he has done.

Comparing wage bill "informed guesstimates" is a pretty bullsh*t science.

Is it €2500 / €7000 including manager and all coaches.

Is it €2500 / €7000 gross or net.

Its easy to say "your wage bill is 4 times ours" (or 3 times going by the figures quoted) but are yis comparing like with like.

fbtn
03/10/2007, 1:03 PM
There is no doubt that Cobh have been the surprise packet of the First Division and Rovers in the Premier. Both Henderson and Scully deserve equal measures of praise.

We have been on an amazing run though. To gain 19 points on a team that were 27 games unbeaten is phenomenal. After a really bad start, in our last 19 games is 17 wins, 1 draw, 1 loss and 100% record at home in that run without conceeding a single goal. Think we've conceded four in total and that was on our travels.

And on our wage bill - it is the same as last year and we finished in the bottom half of the table. It is also less than Shels, Dundalk and Athlone's so it isn't really much of an argument.

NY Hoop
03/10/2007, 2:03 PM
That's it! Automatic barring from the next Ballybofey lock-in for you!

And I want my book back ;)

I agree with you totally re: Friday games. Most fans think they're a balls and we've argued our case with the club to no avail. As there was well over 3000 at the game last Friday night they probably feel that they're vindicated so unfortunately it will probably continue next season regardless of what division we're in.

It's not your book. It's Patsy's!!

Dont know why clubs have this obsession with friday night football. By playing on a saturday night you wouldnt get a decrease in crowds and you would have more away fans. This does not apply to Dublin derbies of course.

KOH

Sam_Heggy
03/10/2007, 2:26 PM
The friday night games are a major talking point up with us, it was actually set by Higsy at the start of the season in order to get into more of a routine, with training and matches.
The 3100 at the game last weekend included about 6/7 Cobh fans :eek: I believe they would have brought a good few more if it was a saturday. But if we get promoted I dont give a rats arse. Ill be there either way. :cool:

Comic Book Guy
03/10/2007, 2:38 PM
The friday night games are a major talking point up with us, it was actually set by Higsy at the start of the season in order to get into more of a routine, with training and matches.
The 3100 at the game last weekend included about 6/7 Cobh fans :eek: I believe they would have brought a good few more if it was a saturday. But if we get promoted I dont give a rats arse. Ill be there either way. :cool:

I think 6/7 is a bit light, while I didn't go I know of at least 30 who did which isn't bad to go the length of the country on a Friday.

bellavistaman
03/10/2007, 2:58 PM
Jesus bella I thought ya were a smart enough fella from chattin to ya last week but now, your mad in the head :p The ref gave ye a peno, not our fault yer fella hadn't the bottle ;) He gave ye most 50-50 decisions but hey, lets blame the ref :D

Correct he gave us one, what about the blatant second he refused to give, that was more obvious than the first even Fran Gavin said that. And the free kick the linesman gave ye which never was which resulted in a goal. Wouldnt dispute the result, but if your telling me the officials were fair and didnt bottle big decisions like. Thats where having big suport is vital and the crowd ye had friday was amazing for first division. Unreal numbers, big credt to the club there.

There is no doubt that Cobh have been the surprise packet of the First Division and Rovers in the Premier. Both Henderson and Scully deserve equal measures of praise.

We have been on an amazing run though. To gain 19 points on a team that were 27 games unbeaten is phenomenal. After a really bad start, in our last 19 games is 17 wins, 1 draw, 1 loss and 100% record at home in that run without conceeding a single goal. Think we've conceded four in total and that was on our travels. .

Agreee with ya there

MojoPin
03/10/2007, 3:05 PM
from what we are led to believe here in cobh the wage bill for the whole running of the team is $2500 a week tops its lower sometimes... thats including manager coaches and physio..

players are paid by play basis( this includes the bench)

so our wage bill is the lowest of the league..

excluding wexfords amatures...

have to agree that finn harps season is amazing i remember all of you guys at the start of the season dumpfounded as to why you guys were so ****e!!!

jimhacker
03/10/2007, 3:23 PM
Don't agree.
and Drogheda's first title will far outweigh Harps winning the 1st Divison.

Where did you get this news from?

harpsman2000
03/10/2007, 5:35 PM
would agree henderson has done a great job.....in the summer wen cobh signed hardly any new players i thouht they would struggle

but he has them playing great stuff......i tink they are the`best team i seen in ballybofey this year!!!!!

annd we had teams like derry ,galway sligo and CELTIC!!!!:D:D:D

CharlesThompson
03/10/2007, 10:09 PM
FAO Harps supporters - I had thought that Declan Boyle was finished with Harps last season and was surprised to see he has been playing with you again this year. What's the story with that turnaround?

Finlay Harp
03/10/2007, 10:22 PM
FAO Harps supporters - I had thought that Declan Boyle was finished with Harps last season and was surprised to see he has been playing with you again this year. What's the story with that turnaround?

A manager with some sense that knows a good centre back when he sees one!

Sam_Heggy
04/10/2007, 9:48 AM

Didnt play due to our manager last season :rolleyes: Deccy has been outstanding with us this season and has scored 7 goals in the league. He prob won't have too many seasons left at this level but, his reading of the game is superb and very little strikers have had the better of him.

Mr A
04/10/2007, 10:42 AM
very little strikers have had the better of him

Just as well Conor Gethins plays for us so :)

Lim till i die
04/10/2007, 11:14 AM
the wage bill for the whole running of the team is $2500 a week tops

Wow at current exchange rates that only equates to €1772 :eek:

Fairplay :ball:

Ronnie
04/10/2007, 1:01 PM
Thats rubbish, Cobh wages €2500 per week gross including staff. 20-25 people on €100 gross a week average, not a chance! The entire Cobh team budget less than John O Flynns yearly wages..come of it lads.

bellavistaman
05/10/2007, 1:12 PM
Thats rubbish, Cobh wages €2500 per week gross including staff. 20-25 people on €100 gross a week average, not a chance! The entire Cobh team budget less than John O Flynns yearly wages..come of it lads.

Thats why John O'Flynn signed with City when he first came back, unfortunatly unless things change we will never be able to sign one of the best players in the league. Luckily enough for us, McCarthy, Murray, Guthrie, Meade and O'Neill are developing into topp class players.Worthy of any premier team IMO