PDA

View Full Version : Radiohead - In Rainbows - new album online...

Pauro 76
02/10/2007, 5:37 PM
Very interesting news. Dodgy enough title, but wondering is this the way music is going to sell now. The Charlatans are releasing their new single in this way and Ash have already stopped making albums and only releasing online singles. What does everyone think? Are albums going to die out altogether? Cant wait for the album...

http://www.inrainbows.com/Store/Quickindex.html

Sniffer
02/10/2007, 6:14 PM
Yep, sorry to say I think the album is dying. 'Record' shops as we know/knew them are disappearing as quickly as petrol stations. Would be interested to know how much of the album sales -as opposed to downloads- take place online now anyway.

noby
02/10/2007, 6:19 PM
I'm not sure is this a sign of the death of albums, or the (start of the) death of record labels. A band makes pittance on the sale of an album. The likes of the Charlatans would sooner give away the album, then tour on the back of it, where they can really cash in.

Lionel Ritchie
03/10/2007, 7:33 AM
I'm not sure is this a sign of the death of albums, or the (start of the) death of record labels. A band makes pittance on the sale of an album. The likes of the Charlatans would sooner give away the album, then tour on the back of it, where they can really cash in.

See where you're coming from but not sure I agree. Maybe for a band of The Charlatans profile and close on two decades of established "goodwill" that's a runner but I don't see it as sustainable for the majority and certainly not for bands trying to break through as there's a confluence of forces out there now that make it virtually impossible to "tour" in anything like the traditional sense of the word.

I'll restrain myself from use of the "F" word. :D

Pauro 76
03/10/2007, 7:10 PM
Radiohead dont have a record label so this way they get all the profits. It's a very novel way of promoting an album, but will this count towards album sales? Reckon its not the death of the album format, but personally id much rather listen to an entire album than just single tracks.

jebus
03/10/2007, 7:18 PM
Radiohead dont have a record label so this way they get all the profits. It's a very novel way of promoting an album, but will this count towards album sales? Reckon its not the death of the album format, but personally id much rather listen to an entire album than just single tracks.

Profits? Aren't they asked people to 'donate' whatever they feel the album is worth (as long as it's over 45p for some online charge) for the album? Can't imagine anyway but a lunatic will pay more than 50p for the album, and whilst it will make a profit, it won't be a great profit when split between the band

noby
04/10/2007, 9:48 AM
I would imagine people will, when faced with the 45p charge, round it up to a quid or two.
There's also a £40 box set, that a lot of fans will probably shell out for. Thom Yorke is packing the boxes as we speak.

Lionel Ritchie
04/10/2007, 12:08 PM
Profits? Aren't they asked people to 'donate' whatever they feel the album is worth (as long as it's over 45p for some online charge) for the album? Can't imagine anyway but a lunatic will pay more than 50p for the album, and whilst it will make a profit, it won't be a great profit when split between the band

I could see it being quite competetive with what they'd get for a CD sold through a shop. Using conveniently round averages ...let's say an LP you buy in a record shop is a tenner. Very few bands will see more than 5% of that in any shape or form as 10% is the standard sum given to the band (and managment!!) in recording contracts by a record company who then maybe only pick up a fiver from the shop ...so that's the bands share down to €0.50.

But many record shops, and in particular the larger ones who are sampled for chart compilation, will twist the bands labels arm for what are called +1 deals. It can be four +1, even three +1 whatever. But this institutionalised form of stick up involves the band/label handing over a completely free album for every say four albums the shop agree to carry (hence the term four +1) which the shop then keep 100% of profit upon as well as the 50 odd% they'll make on the other four copies. So there's the bands share down to €0.40 on a sale of a €10 album.

jebus
04/10/2007, 1:15 PM
I could see it being quite competetive with what they'd get for a CD sold through a shop. Using conveniently round averages ...let's say an LP you buy in a record shop is a tenner. Very few bands will see more than 5% of that in any shape or form as 10% is the standard sum given to the band (and managment!!) in recording contracts by a record company who then maybe only pick up a fiver from the shop ...so that's the bands share down to €0.50.

But many record shops, and in particular the larger ones who are sampled for chart compilation, will twist the bands labels arm for what are called +1 deals. It can be four +1, even three +1 whatever. But this institutionalised form of stick up involves the band/label handing over a completely free album for every say four albums the shop agree to carry (hence the term four +1) which the shop then keep 100% of profit upon as well as the 50 odd% they'll make on the other four copies. So there's the bands share down to €0.40 on a sale of a €10 album.

But you're leaving out the promotional work that the likes of HMV, Virgin etc. do to push the sales on said band's new album. Having worked in the stores I know only too well how much we can push an album down the consumer's throat if we are asked to, so Radiohead will lose out sales through releasing it online only as the shops won't be able to push it on to people who liked the Bends, OK Compute etc. but have lost track of the band in the last few years and might buy the record (I count that as a lot of Radiohead fans). Add to that the likes of myself who don't download music, and people without credit/debit cards and thats even further sales they've lost. So the total number of 50p profits they would make through online sales will be nowhere near the total number of 50p profits coming from an instore release.

Lionel Ritchie
04/10/2007, 3:17 PM
But you're leaving out the promotional work that the likes of HMV, Virgin etc. do to push the sales on said band's new album. Having worked in the stores I know only too well how much we can push an album down the consumer's throat if we are asked to, so Radiohead will lose out sales through releasing it online only as the shops won't be able to push it on to people who liked the Bends, OK Compute etc. but have lost track of the band in the last few years and might buy the record (I count that as a lot of Radiohead fans). Add to that the likes of myself who don't download music, and people without credit/debit cards and thats even further sales they've lost. So the total number of 50p profits they would make through online sales will be nowhere near the total number of 50p profits coming from an instore release.

Will you just sssssssssssstop.:D
The shops, who I appreciate aren't in business for a hobby, syphon that much mark up AND the (disgraceful) +1 deals on pretty much everyones records ...you're hardly suggesting they put that much promotion into all their stock? That any band selling a record through their outlet is getting value for their lost fiver and lost +1s? No they don't and No they don't.

jebus
04/10/2007, 4:08 PM
Not at all, I know the +1 scheme you're on about and agree that is nothing short of legal robbary, but I still maintain that stores pushing a CD through playing it instore, advertising said CD in shop front, putting stacks of the CD in high visability store areas etc. add a lot of numbers in regards to sales for bands like Radiohead, and by not having stores do so for this album you will see a drastic drop in medium term sales figures, and hence they will lose out on money

Wolfie
05/10/2007, 1:09 PM
Has there been a media blackout on the content of the album or has anyone read a review (if any)?

Does it follow on from "Hail to the thief" or has it taken a new direction etc etc?

noby
05/10/2007, 1:17 PM
http://www.whatpricedidyouchoose.com/

a.a.d
05/10/2007, 1:30 PM
Have to say lads I'm still a little bit of a traditionalist, I like to go into the stores and pick up the product and add it to my collection. Nothing like owning the cd for real, where no Pc crash or Ipod being stolen stops you listening to the album.

noby
10/10/2007, 10:56 AM
This is one of the issues I have with downloaded music. No physical copy in shops means no bargain bin finds a few years down the line.

shakermaker1982
10/10/2007, 11:25 AM
gonna buy this tonight. Some good reviews so far on nme from regular punters.

Pauro 76
10/10/2007, 2:44 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7037194.stm

Disappointed customer there. Really hope they move on from the last few albums to be honest, was disapppointed with Amnesiac and Hail to the Thief was average enough. I'll probably wait a week or so to download it, im sure the website will be jammed!

CollegeTillIDie
10/10/2007, 9:19 PM
RADIOHEAD - IN RAINBOWS It's clearly a tribute to Richie Blackmore :D

shakermaker1982
11/10/2007, 8:27 AM
Downloaded it last night and did pay a small fee but something doesn't doesn't feel right without the sleeve or artwork! Will post my views on the album once I listen to it a few more times.

LeixlipRed
11/10/2007, 10:56 AM
Just downloaded it (didn't pay a cent but will buy it if it ever reaches the stores) . Gonna listen to it later

gustavo
11/10/2007, 11:01 AM
Got it last night , the first track and the last track impressed me most.

anto1208
11/10/2007, 11:18 AM
Stuart Clarke from hotpress said it was rubbish last night on the last word so it must be good :D

Its out in shops soon and havent they just signed a big record deal with Warner or someone like that .

This is just a publicity stunt Basically they are saying pay what you like we dont care we have all ready been paid for it by the record company !!!

the Record company are saying pay what you like cos it costs them 49 cent to give it to you online so any money you pay above that is profit ( there is a minimun charge of 49 cent i think ). And we dont have to go to the hassle of printing shipping selling the product . But in case we miss out on the money from people with no internet we will also print cd's just to cover every possible angle and squeze as much money outta as many as we can while claimign to be "the consummers friend"

Beavis
12/10/2007, 12:47 PM
I've had 3 listens now and first impressions are that it is very good. I think everything Thom Yorke puts his name to is quality. I loved HtoTT, Amnesiac and The Eraser, but maybe I'm just easily impressed.:o

PS People who hate Radiohead post-OK Computer just don't get it:p

jebus
12/10/2007, 5:32 PM
PS People who hate Radiohead post-OK Computer just don't get it:p

What about if you just hate Radiohead full stop

Marked Man
12/10/2007, 5:48 PM

Then presumably you hate radiohead post-OK computer, and so, by the terms of the post you responded to, you just don't get it.

jebus
12/10/2007, 5:49 PM
Or perhaps we are ahead of our time?

Schumi
12/10/2007, 6:40 PM

Then you really don't get it. ;)

Pauro 76
16/10/2007, 2:42 PM
Listening to it a few times, and its beginning to strike me as a really good effort. Faves for me at mo would be All I Need, Weird Fishes and Bodysnatchers...

anto1208
18/10/2007, 2:57 PM
They arent releasing sales figures but a leaked report suggests its sold 1.2 mill copies for an average price of £4 sterling . Guy on the last word said .

said there last album sold 300,000 and that they prob would have got less than £4 for each one so it apears to be a massive success fans get the album for 4 quid and the band multiply there income by 4 !! .

CollegeTillIDie
23/10/2007, 9:46 AM
In the words of Tom Petty '' their A and R man said, ' I don't hear a single' ''

Wolfie
10/03/2008, 1:06 PM
Radiohead fans among us might be interested to note that this months Q has devoted an impressively detailed 32 pages to reviewing Radiohead - album by album, track by track. B-sides etc etc.

Very comprehensive.