PDA

View Full Version : The changing face of the team

bwagner
02/10/2007, 4:54 PM
Just looking at the squad and out of 25 there are only four that wernt born in Ireland compared to the squad in previous years (1990 and 1994 world cups)
The main bulk of the squad was not born in Ireland then ...

Do you think we need more plastic paddies again :O) ????

I personally think its great having players from Monaghan, Tipp and wexford etc .

paul_oshea
02/10/2007, 4:59 PM
i personally think its great having players from anywhere so long as we are qualifying for tournaments.

carloz
02/10/2007, 5:01 PM
I think its fantastic......im just waiting for a Carlow player to make the break through:D. Generally they would show more heart for the green jersey.......but i dont think anyone would question players like Hougton, Townsend, Holland and McAteers commitment to the Irish cause

zenokelly
02/10/2007, 5:12 PM
Just looking at the squad and out of 25 there are only four that wernt born in Ireland compared to the squad in previous years (1990 and 1994 world cups)
The main bulk of the squad was not born in Ireland then ...

Do you think we need more plastic paddies again :O) ????

I personally think its great having players from Monaghan, Tipp and wexford etc .

Only three, unless Nicky Colgan isn't Irish:
McGeady, Carsley, Kilbane

pineapple stu
02/10/2007, 5:36 PM
Colgan's from Drogheda.

dynamo kerry
02/10/2007, 5:51 PM
please don't.. not another one of these threads. nice to see lads from different counties getting a run but I was always quite chuffed that gary breens granddad came from kerry!

less of the plastic paddies talk- whatever your opinion, it's been done to death. I would have though someone on the site since summer 2006 would know better:rolleyes:;)

lopez
02/10/2007, 6:07 PM
The changing face of the team (i.e. Few 'plastics') mirrors the changing face of Ireland. Emigration seems to be confined to footballers only these days, and long may it stay that way. :)

kingdom hoop
02/10/2007, 8:35 PM
I was always quite chuffed that gary breens granddad came from kerry!

My uncle-in-law is his second cousin! Unfortunately, or fortunately maybe, it's the uncle in law so no blood link! Maybe you'd know more but I don't know if any Kerryman has represented Ireland? We've Darren Dennehy in the u21s now though and doing very well at Everton apparently so maybe it's not too far around the corner. Stan said as much when he was down in Ballybunion for the FAI cup draw about a month ago, made express reference to Dennehy actually, who I was in school with as it happens. God, I know them all!

I suppose the main point to take from the thread is that we are drawing from more diverse parts of the country for the national team, as football gradually pushes aside GAA in the hearts and minds of parents and teachers, and then the kids

tetsujin1979
02/10/2007, 9:28 PM
My uncle-in-law is his second cousin! Unfortunately, or fortunately maybe, it's the uncle in law so no blood link! Maybe you'd know more but I don't know if any Kerryman has represented Ireland? We've Darren Dennehy in the u21s now though and doing very well at Everton apparently so maybe it's not too far around the corner. Stan said as much when he was down in Ballybunion for the FAI cup draw about a month ago, made express reference to Dennehy actually, who I was in school with as it happens. God, I know them all!

I think Diarmuid O'Carroll at Celtic is from Kerry?

kingdom hoop
02/10/2007, 9:42 PM
I think Diarmuid O'Carroll at Celtic is from Kerry?

Yep, Killarney man. He's on loan somewhere I think. Quick search for confirmation says yes; at KV Oostende apparently, a second tier Belgian team, who've started an agreement with Celtic to get some of their players on loan, so that they can get an appreciation for chocolate, a key constituent of any modern-day footballer. :D

There have been an increasing number from Kerry going to the UK for trials over the last six or so years, no one to properly make the first-team breakthrough yet though I don't think. Billy Dennehy, another Irishman in the Sunderland reserves, is Darren's older brother.

dynamo kerry
02/10/2007, 10:22 PM
Yep, Killarney man. He's on loan somewhere I think. Quick search for confirmation says yes; at KV Oostende apparently, a second tier Belgian team, who've started an agreement with Celtic to get some of their players on loan, so that they can get an appreciation for chocolate, a key constituent of any modern-day footballer. :D

There have been an increasing number from Kerry going to the UK for trials over the last six or so years, no one to properly make the first-team breakthrough yet though I don't think. Billy Dennehy, another Irishman in the Sunderland reserves, is Darren's older brother.

i'm not home anymore so i'm not in the loop but there was a chap I read about in the kerryman a couple of years back that was going to southampton

i wouldn't know where to look for that info though..

paul_oshea
03/10/2007, 9:05 AM
there was some fella with arsenal who was from kerry, i cant remember i thought for a minute it was john paul kelly but i beleive he is dublin born.....maybe some o'donoghue fella?

tetsujin1979
03/10/2007, 9:09 AM
there was some fella with arsenal who was from kerry, i cant remember i thought for a minute it was john paul kelly but i beleive he is dublin born.....maybe some o'donoghue fella?
Kelly was at Liverpool

OwlsFan
03/10/2007, 9:33 AM
I think its fantastic......im just waiting for a Carlow player to make the break through:D. Generally they would show more heart for the green jersey.......

Yeah, just like that great son of Erin, John O'Shea, who put his body on the line for the 2nd Slovak goal.

:rolleyes: Personally I couldn't care less if the next successful team which represents Ireland is 90% of Polish extraction. This "plastic paddy" stuff is pathetic and fails to acknowledge that due to numerous reasons we have been a net exporter of people. Ah, I couldn't be bothered....

as_i_say
03/10/2007, 12:12 PM
Hopefully the next womens generation team will be of 90% polish extraction. Dam hotties the lot of them.

kingdom hoop
03/10/2007, 1:23 PM
:) Good one as_i_say, bloody Irish girls do me head in.

Sean Kelly, from Marian Park in Tralee to be particular about it! He was released by Arsenal and been at Cork City for a year or so, centre back, the Cork lads here would be in the best position to judge his ability, I don't know if he's getting a regular game, I suppose the Arsenal up-bringing will always stand to him though. He was a great Gaelic player as well, noted for being able to point a 45 at the age of 12!!