PDA

View Full Version : David Freeman to retire?

RockofGibraltar
01/10/2007, 6:35 PM
from elevenaside.com

Longford Town forward David Freeman could be forced to retire from the game after being diagnosed with heart problems following recent hospital tests.

Freeman, 27, underwent screening after picking up a viral problem last month, and has been advised to rest for three months until more in-depth analysis of his condition is complete.

And Midlanders manager Alan Mathews admits the club is taking no chances with the health of the former Nottingham Forest, St Patrick’s Athletic, Dublin City and Drogheda United man.

Mathews told the Irish Daily Mirror: “It is simply terrible news for David because of the seriousness of the situation. Unfortunately he has to put his boots under the stairs and rest for three months and hope that it is not a career-threatening illness.

“After the viral complaint we sent him for tests and the results of those gave the cardiac unit cause for concern. And given the nature of what has happened in the UK with Clive Clarke, with the Irish rugby team with Simon Best and that young player in Seville [Antonio Puerta], we are taking the necessary precautions.”

RonnieB
01/10/2007, 6:56 PM
Just read it now on the homepage. Always gave his best for the Town, and has been playing really well in the central midfield role. All the best in your recovery David.

gufcfan
01/10/2007, 11:08 PM
Best wishes to David. Must be an awful time for him. Get well soon.

sligoman
03/10/2007, 9:54 AM
Never rated him but best of luck to him in recovery, never nice to hear of someone having to (possibly)retire at such an age. Was he playing regularly with ye?

RonnieB
03/10/2007, 10:41 AM
Yup, pretty much all season. Started playing in midfield recently and was doing well there.

Martinho II
07/10/2007, 1:17 PM
I havent never being a big dave freeman fan as it was he who scored the winner for pats in the league cup final defeat four years ago but he made a huge difference in midfield over the last few months. it is a massive blow to the team and management and all I can say that i have tremendous respect for him and wish him luck in his recovery. Please God we will see him in a town jersey again.