PDA

View Full Version : Vs Athlone

ForzaForth
29/09/2007, 10:03 PM
Just back from Athlone game where Wexford were unlucky not to take all three points after a storming second half. Wexford more or less lined up as usual with Bradley and Browne up front and Marty Kelly in for the injured Malone. However, Wexford went one down in the first minute when our usual failing, defending set-pieces, came a cropper again. Athlone's big centre-half, McCarthy, was let rise far too easily with a header direct from a corner with Russell stuck on the line. One-nil. McCarthy nearly repeated the feat ten minutes later and we found it difficult to clear our corners and free-kicks all night. Only clear chance for Wexford in the first half was a Browner volley which went just over while their centre-forward headed just over from six yards while trying to connect with a strongly hit cross. Athlone passed the ball better and crisper than we did and we were slightly lucky to go in only one down.

First 20 minutes of second half were uneventful until Bradley flicked on a cross to find JFOC free in the box who tucked it neatly away in the right hand corner. The Youths then took over and they had three really good chances to go ahead, particularly Anto Russell with a twelve yard half-volley and Marty Kelly with a one-on-one with their keeper.

Good point but we needed all three. Temporary seating was gone with the new stand supposed to start going up soon.

passinginterest
01/10/2007, 1:39 PM
Three draws in a row makes this officially our longest unbeaten run of the season. Another sign of the progress the team has made. The next two games give us a decent opportunity to extend the run to five games. I hope to make the game against Kildare County at Station Road and I'd love to see the lads going in to it on the back of a win and a four game unbeaten stretch.
Limerick will be tough down there , but, they're on a poor enough run and have nothing left to play for. It should be an end to end thriller with both teams playing breath taking attacking football at the very least :p

Youths4Ever
01/10/2007, 4:02 PM
I really hope we can extend the unbeaten run to at least another two or more i know being optimistic but what being a soccer fan all about. Would settle some good solid performances to carry some momentum into next season but prefer an unbeaten run. Do I dare to dream :rolleyes:

ForzaForth
01/10/2007, 8:19 PM
Reckon Mick will play it very tight against Limerick. Gotta get Patsy back into the team - he really is a key player for us and we don't have the late threat into the box without him.

Finally, the club website refers to JFOC's reaction with the crowd when he scored against Athlone. (Went to the supporters with the great banners and wished them good day!!) Good to see and we need more of it, I think.

Youths4Ever
01/10/2007, 9:10 PM
Yeah thought that Pasty was missed on Saturday night he looked like he wanted to jump out and play :D. Any news on whether Patsy will be back for Limerick?