PDA

View Full Version : George Hamilton

Sniffer
29/09/2007, 11:39 AM
Maybe I'm being hyper critical but I thought George Hamilton's take on the incident which led to Kevin Doherty being sent off last night was woeful. He claimed IAN Doherty must have been booked seconds earlier before the mini-melee. He had actually been booked in the 49th minute - the only booking up 'til that stage in the game. Granted, it was hard to stay focussed on a very dull second half, but he's getting paid to do it.

Celdrog
29/09/2007, 12:07 PM
Even I knew Doherty was going off as soon as he got that yellow and his first booking was seventy yards away from me with no TV replay, for taking down Shelley.
He was poor for not knowing that but at least RTE had 3 cameras there.

harry crumb
29/09/2007, 12:42 PM
Maybe I'm being hyper critical but I thought George Hamilton's take on the incident which led to Kevin Doherty being sent off last night was woeful. He claimed IAN Doherty must have been booked seconds earlier before the mini-melee. He had actually been booked in the 49th minute - the only booking up 'til that stage in the game. Granted, it was hard to stay focussed on a very dull second half, but he's getting paid to do it.

He had a chance to make up for the mistake but proceeded to Call him Ian 5/6times after.

Chipmunk:D

iceman
29/09/2007, 4:01 PM
Hamilton also kept referring to United Park as O2 Park , has'nt been called that for many years now.

WindmillWarrior
29/09/2007, 9:07 PM
Hamilton also kept referring to United Park as O2 Park , has'nt been called that for many years now.

Thats shocking bad!

CollegeTillIDie
30/09/2007, 7:58 AM
Typical of RTE TV Sport's lack of real interest in the domestic game

Terry
30/09/2007, 9:54 AM
was watching the premiership last night and he was covering the man u -v- birmingham match when he said (towards the end of the match) " It looks like Birmingham have shot their load early". The missus and myself were roaring laughing !!!!!

P.S. sorry for going slightly off topic.

micls
30/09/2007, 1:43 PM
Typical of RTE TV Sport's lack of real interest in the domestic game

Hamilton had plenty of interest in the domestic game when he was advising the Cypriots as to how ****e we and our league were last year.

Idiot

Ash
01/10/2007, 8:18 AM
He had a chance to make up for the mistake but proceeded to Call him Ian 5/6times after.

Chipmunk:D

Heard that myself, when he said it first Ithought he'd surely get it right
the next time but no, he stuck to his guns.

Then I thought he was gonna do a Michael Ó Muircheartaigh and go on with
a big story about how he was named Kevin but his middle name was Ian and
he preferred to be called that in memory of a relation or something!

Turns out Gerogie boy just didnt know his name and said the 1st one that
came in to his head!

Stato
01/10/2007, 8:35 AM
Poor old Georgie boy doesn't have a clue beyond his beloved ManUre. He spent most of last year's FAI Cup semi-final calling Trevor Molloy "Morley". There's a noticable 20 second pause in the commentary when, I'm guessing, his co-commentator Pat Morley finally has enough and sticks one on him. After that he didn't make the mistake again. :)

Ash
01/10/2007, 8:39 AM
Poor old Georgie boy doesn't have a clue beyond his beloved ManUre.

He's an Arsenal fan?

Stato
01/10/2007, 8:51 AM
My bad. Maybe it's just the way he is about the premiership in general.

Sonic
01/10/2007, 8:52 AM
At halftime he goes Its Longford UNITED 0 Drogheda United 2. See you after the break!!

dcfc_1928
01/10/2007, 9:00 AM
He has also claimed to be a Glentoran fan.

Poor old Georgie boy doesn't have a clue beyond his beloved ManUre.

pete
01/10/2007, 10:36 AM
Some people think RTE sports coverage is great because the star pundits have the same argument over & over. Shoddy work like that from "star" commentator show up RTE for the incompetents they really are.

Heard Ger Canning at the weekend & I think he would use the same terminology if he was commentating on football or water polo. :eek:

stann
01/10/2007, 10:51 AM
Heard Ger Canning at the weekend & I think he would use the same terminology if he was commentating on football or water polo. :eek:

Years ago I read a comment about Ger Canning that still makes me laugh, along the lines of 'if Ger Canning had written the bible, instead of "Jesus wept" he'd have put "Jesus started crying"'! :D :D
It is a mystery why we can't produce a decent commentator though.

BrayUnknowns
01/10/2007, 11:05 AM
It is a mystery why we can't produce a decent commentator though.

Talking about shi*e commentator's, did anyone else notice the TV3 commentator at yesterday's rugby game kept calling Geordan Murphy, Dempsey?

Dodge
01/10/2007, 11:18 AM
Presume thats Conor McNamara, shining light of BBC sports radio?

Anyway, as a rule all commentators suck. Hamilton more than all others. My favourite lazy RTE line at a LOI game was a few years ago when Paul keegan was on loan to Pats from New England Revolution. Johnny Giles do the co-commentator bit called him the "American lad"

Raheny Red
01/10/2007, 11:47 AM
Hamilton had plenty of interest in the domestic game when he was advising the Cypriots as to how ****e we and our league were last year.

Idiot

What's wrong with that? The league is ****e!

Sheridan
01/10/2007, 12:15 PM
Presume thats Conor McNamara, shining light of BBC sports radio?
He used to be Irish, didn't he?

Anyway, as a rule all commentators suck. Hamilton more than all others. My favourite lazy RTE line at a LOI game was a few years ago when Paul keegan was on loan to Pats from New England Revolution. Johnny Giles do the co-commentator bit called him the "American lad"
I remember that well, he actually referred to him as "the Yank." :o

That was after his legendary opening gambit, "It's been a long time since I saw any Irish football, George."

pete
01/10/2007, 1:48 PM
He used to be Irish, didn't he?

Like Craig Doyle. I wonder do they BBC give them t-shirts like these (http://www.planearium2.de/bilder/charaktere-token.jpg) ? :D

micls
01/10/2007, 6:07 PM
What's wrong with that? The league is ****e!

Obviously not as ****e as they are and he obviously hadnt a clue as to what he was talking about.

he was advising them as to how easily they should beat us

Aldini98
02/10/2007, 4:23 PM
Canning is the worst commentator on the box, absolute ****e, keeps reffering to half backs whilst on the Premiership - *******. When commentating on the GAA and someone has a nickname he'll try and use the nickname as much asx he can, see The Gouch, The Sparrow, etc.

Hamilton is also ****e, he tries to ad lib and generally f**ks in up - a clown of the highest order, has cost Ireland matches in the past, Im convinced of it.