PDA

View Full Version : UCD 2-1 Waterford United

U-C-D
28/09/2007, 9:29 PM
same starting team as derry except for timmy in for finn!!

great first half and 2-0 up through sammon peno and conan byrne! second half was much poorer with some serious pressure from waterford! cleared of the line by mahon, possibly penalty shout and some scary corners. 2-1 in the end!

ah well 3 points in the bag and steered clear of relegation at this stage

pineapple stu
29/09/2007, 1:03 AM
Yeah, definitely out of the relegation fight now. Didn't really see Waterford's penalty, but everyone says it was blatant (even Alan Mahon). However, was talking to some lads at half time behind the goal we were attacking who said Conor Sammon was bundled over for a penalty for us in the first half, which wasn't awarded either. Swings and roundabouts?

Very enjoyable game, now that it's over. Some excellent saves, Conan's goal was very nice, Waterford's set piece deliveries were very good - inswinging right on top of Quigley, which caused the goal.

And, of course, another injury for the list - Biran Shortall with what looked like a foot injury in the first half.

pineapple stu
29/09/2007, 1:49 AM
Goals from Conor Sammon and Conan Byrne sealed a vital three points for UCD against Waterford United in Belfield tonight, but they were left hanging on towards then end as a spirited Blues comeback fell just short. Indeed, in the final analysis, it was difficult to tell whether or not the Students deserved the three points, but ultimately such talk is academic as the points have been sealed regardless.

Although Tony McDonnell, Alan McNally and Ian Bermingham joined in the pre-match warm-up, and Paul Byrne was fit enough to make the bench, there was only one change from team which beat Derry 1-0 in the Cup quarter-final, with Timmy Purcell coming in for Ronan Finn in a slightly more attacking formation.

The game started at a good pace, with Waterford just failing to capitalise on a slack Darren Quigley punch after only five minutes, rifling in a shot just wide with the UCD keeper well out of position. At the other end on the quarter hour, a weak header clear from the visitors was returned with interest by Conor Kenna, but the defender's shot went similarly wide.

The game then turned in the space of ten minutes. First, after a scramble in the box, a Waterford defender was adjudged to have handballed, and a penalty was awarded. It was a curious penalty award, with no protestations or appeals at all from either the pitch or the stand, and indeed no audible whistle; however, when the dust had settled, a penalty it was, and Conor Sammon duly dispatched his kick into the bottom left corner.

Four minutes later, it was 2-0 - a through ball from Shane McFaul finding Conan Byrne in acres of space, and he ran onto the pass to slot home first time from the edge of the area past the advancing Waterford keeper - his third goal in three games against Waterford this season.

It could easily have been three shortly afterwards, but no penalty was forthcoming after Conor Sammon was bundled over in the area.

The game started to open up towards the end of the first half - as half time approached, Conan Byrne was denied at one end before Waterford passed their way upfield, and Darren Quigley had to parry away an excellent drive from 25 yards out. UCD clared the corner, and Brian King's long cross field pass was only just mis-controlled by Pat McWalter with only one defender to beat.

The second half continued in the same end to end vein - Conor Sammon produced a great stop from Waterford keeper Dean Delaney after a low cross from McWalter before Quigley outdid his opposite number with a stunning one handed save after a slip on the edge of the box allowed Vinny Sullivan to rifle in a shot. The visitors went close again two minutes later when Willy John Kiely fired inches wide from distance, while at the other end, Delaney tipped over from McWalter after the winger got on the end of a deep cross. From the corner, Conor Kenna nearly forced the ball over the line, but Waterford countered and suddenly Kenna was at the other end, putting in a last ditch tackle to deny the visitors. From the resulting corner, an almighty scramble resulted on the line, as the Students failed to adequately clear their lines.

A goal was imminent in a hugely entertaining encounter, and it was the visitors who nabbed it when another inswinging free kick into a crowded area was flicked home by Paul McCarthy.

Curiously, the goal was to result in a much quieter spell for the next 15 minutes, before the game's main talking point arrived ten mintues from time. Again having breached the UCD defence, a shot from Waterford was blocked and ultimately cleared off the line by Evan McMillan, but Waterford's players were incensed that a penalty wasn't awarded for the despairing challenge of UCD keeper Quigley.

From then on, it was a case of backs to the wall for UCD as Waterford pressed for an equaliser. Their own player was to hinder their cause three minutes later when twice blocking teammates' shots - once being winded, and taking a shot to the back seconds later. The linesman then called a very tight offside from a position Waterford were sure to score, while the Blues' inswinging free kicks continued to cause havoc in a UCD team which by this stage had resorted to hoofing clear to ease the pressure, just seven days since they composedly played out time away to Derry in the Cup.

Desperate though it was, the tactic succeeded, and after four minutes of injury time - largely due to a foot injury to Brian Shortall, which necessitated his early departure - the final whistle went to clinch three very important and very hard earned league points.

UCD - Quigley, Mahon, McMillan, Shortall (Gallagher 59), Kenna, C Byrne, McFaul, King, McWalter, Purcell (Finn 74), Sammon. Subs not used - Bolger, Gregg, P Byrne.

kingdom hoop
29/09/2007, 2:01 AM
Nice.

Poor Student
29/09/2007, 8:47 AM
cleared of the line by mahon, possibly penalty shout and some scary corners. 2-1 in the end!

Definite penalty for Waterford. Quigley creamed a Waterford player out of it, though not on purpose. I happened to be behind the goal at the time. I hear Sammon's second penalty shout was a definite too though. What looked like a promising game and possibly a hammering turned into a scrap for our dear lives, at least we got the three points.

CollegeTillIDie
29/09/2007, 10:36 AM
Definite penalty for Waterford. Quigley creamed a Waterford player out of it, though not on purpose. I happened to be behind the goal at the time. I hear Sammon's second penalty shout was a definite too though. What looked like a promising game and possibly a hammering turned into a scrap for our dear lives, at least we got the three points.

Well I was standing in line with the edge of the Waterford penalty area in the first half and Conor Sammon was bundled over by David Breen in their box in the first half and nothing was awarded.

Schumi
29/09/2007, 10:39 AM
was talking to some lads at half time behind the goal we were attacking who said Conor Sammon was bundled over for a penalty for us in the first half, which wasn't awarded either. Swings and roundabouts?That was clear as day from the other end of the ground, where we were. I couldn't believe the ref gave a free out.

trevy
29/09/2007, 1:00 PM
That was clear as day from the other end of the ground, where we were. I couldn't believe the ref gave a free out.

Fair enough,I'd agree with that.Our penalty shout when your keeper took down Scully near the end was a blatant penalty and we had another shout earlier in the half when Vinny Sullivan went down.Who was the ref?Decent game all right,terrible crowd at it.It was my first ever vist to Belfield.

Poor Student
29/09/2007, 3:17 PM
Decent game all right,terrible crowd at it.It was my first ever vist to Belfield.

One of the worst crowds I've ever seen. A bit over 250 there. What was there, 15-20 Waterford fans?

DmanDmythDledge
29/09/2007, 7:54 PM
Who was the ref?
Derek Tomney was the ref.

Very frustrating game I felt as we should have put the game beyond any doubt in the second half but sat back and let Waterford into the game. Once they had a chance or two they got the confidence to put us under serious pressure and probably deserved a second goal. Also Waterford simply wanted it more than us in the second half, or at least comparing how committed each team were they did. We always seem to switch off and take the foot of the pedal once we have a lead against the weaker teams, in contrast to the game against Derry where we played for 90 minutes.

Colie
30/09/2007, 8:08 PM
A bit over 250 there.And most of them were on the pitch at half time....

John83
30/09/2007, 9:20 PM
And most of them were on the pitch at half time....
Shh, you'll get us fined!

DmanDmythDledge
03/10/2007, 2:50 PM
Darren Quigley and Conan Byrne named in eleven-a-side team of the week (http://www.eleven-a-side.com/blogs/viewblog.asp?bid=94).

Darren Quigley (UCD) - The Republic of Ireland under-21 international was seen at his best as College held on against Waterford United on Friday.

Conan Byrne (UCD) - Another goal for the lively College winger as the Students took three points against battling Waterford.