PDA

View Full Version : 20 Moments that shook Irish Sport

Pages : [1] 2

Scram
27/09/2007, 10:20 PM
Some real rubbish in here ! but you can e-mail your suggestions. Should you rate Saipan as 1 or 5? the question may be "how much bigger do you want to make the traitor's ego?"

http://www.rte.ie/tv/20moments/

20 Moments That Shook Irish Sport is a two-hour countdown show which airs on the October Bank Holiday weekend. From Saipan to Cian O'Connor, Rule 42 to the Brian O'Driscoll spear tackle, the programme will feature interviews with some of Irish sport's key players and we want your help to rate our stories...

We love our sport and see the players as our heroes.

We celebrate, analyse and scrutinise our heroes, match after match, race after race, game after game.

NeilMcD
27/09/2007, 10:31 PM
Yeah I can just imagine the Keane family gathering around the TV hoping they are number 1 here.

stojkovic
27/09/2007, 10:54 PM
Some real rubbish in here ! but you can e-mail your suggestions. Should you rate Saipan as 1 or 5? the question may be "how much bigger do you want to make the traitor's ego?"[/I]

Jesus wept !

geysir
28/09/2007, 12:37 AM
Feck Saipan, I'm going for the George the Greek moment
Anything for a good dig at a Delaney.

old git
28/09/2007, 10:01 AM
[QUOTE=Scram;779527]Some real rubbish in here ! but you can e-mail your suggestions. Should you rate Saipan as 1 or 5? the question may be "how much bigger do you want to make the traitor's ego?"

get over it > you bitter little man .. :eek:

brine3
28/09/2007, 10:07 AM
"how much bigger do you want to make the traitor's ego?"

Perhaps his ego could do with a bit of a help at the moment, considering he's stuck in mid table in the Championship with Wolves.

jebus
28/09/2007, 11:01 AM
Perhaps his ego could do with a bit of a help at the moment, considering he's stuck in mid table in the Championship with Wolves.

Saucer of milk for table 6

Scram
28/09/2007, 11:55 AM
Yeah I can just imagine the Keane family gathering around the TV hoping they are number 1 here.

Joined by the rest of halting site. ;)

But anyway! What events are missing from the 20 RTE picked? What would anyone add? Not soccer but...Seamus Darby's goal v Kerry should definitely be in there. As should O'Leary's penalty v Romania.

pineapple stu
28/09/2007, 12:17 PM
This thread was done ages ago.

Scram
28/09/2007, 12:24 PM

A similar thread may have been, but this is re. an RTE programme and you can rate or email suggestions, so highly unlikely to have been done before coach.

pineapple stu
28/09/2007, 12:27 PM
No, the RTÉ thread was done before. Can't find it at the moment, but it has been done.

Edit - here (http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=70786&highlight=moments) it is, in the eL section.

lionelhutz
28/09/2007, 12:30 PM
Some real rubbish in here ! but you can e-mail your suggestions. Should you rate Saipan as 1 or 5? the question may be "how much bigger do you want to make the traitor's ego?"

20 Moments That Shook Irish Sport is a two-hour countdown show which airs on the October Bank Holiday weekend. From Saipan to Cian O'Connor, Rule 42 to the Brian O'Driscoll spear tackle, the programme will feature interviews with some of Irish sport's key players and we want your help to rate our stories...

We love our sport and see the players as our heroes.

We celebrate, analyse and scrutinise our heroes, match after match, race after race, game after game.

Will you get over it?? You mustn't have much of a life if you're still fretting over something that happened over 5 years ago.

And you just lost any credibility you ever had with your stupid halting site comment

Wolfie
28/09/2007, 1:09 PM
Do they have the internet on halting sites?

I think they do - its called the Ward Wide Web.

Colbert Report
28/09/2007, 5:01 PM
Houghton's goal vs. England 1988
O'Leary's penalty vs. Romania 1990
McLoughlin's goal vs. Northern Ireland 1994
Houghton's goal vs. Italy 1994
McAteer's goal vs. Holland 2001

where are these?

Morbo
28/09/2007, 6:06 PM
Ye can say "get over it" all ye want but the truth is that Keane will always be remembered as the only Irish player to ever walk out on his country before a world cup, even if he goes onto have a good management career he will always be remember for Saipan, I'm not being bitter but Keane betraying his country is relevant in a thread about the "20 most disappointing Irish moments" or whatever the name of the poll is

backstothewall
28/09/2007, 6:52 PM
Glad to see RTE acting as the "national" broadcaster as usual

23/06/86: Barry McGuigan drops his title in searing Nevada summer heat, never regains it, is hospitalised, later falls out with Barney Eastwood and ends up facing him in court?

15/05/1993 - 21/05/1994: Ray Close twice batters Chris Eubank, is rewarded with a draw and split decision loss, only to see Steve Collins pick up the title months later?

18/11/1993: ROI qualify for the 1994 world cup courtesy of a score draw in a sectatian cauldron??

Boxing Day 1948: Irelands finest ever domestic team run from the pitch for their lives when Linfield fans poured over the terrace barriers at the end of a 1 - 1 draw. Centre forward Jimmy Jones is thrown over a parapet, kicked unconcious and left with a broken leg. Defender Robin Lawler and goalkeeper Kevin McAlinden are seriously hurt. Later the same night Celtic's directors decide to withdraw from football once the season' commitments had been fulfilled, and never return.

1/06/21: Munster, Leinster & Connaght association meet in Molesworth Hall, Dublin, the FAI is formed, and football becomes the only major sport on the island to be partitioned

17/03/07 - 18/03/07: Ireland cricketers achieve their best ever result, beating Pakistan in the world cup. the following morning the Pakistan coach is found dead, rumours of a corruption speards and doubt is cast over the performance.

I would consider these to be of far greater signifigance than Clare v Offaly, Martin Johnson standing on the grass, or Gaelic footballers to scared to punch the australians back in a game people only watch for the fights. Unfortunately they either happened north of the border, or were in sports not popular south of the border.

old git
28/09/2007, 8:18 PM
Ye can say "get over it" all ye want but the truth is that Keane will always be remembered as the only Irish player to ever walk out on his country before a world cup, even if he goes onto have a good management career he will always be remember for Saipan, I'm not being bitter but Keane betraying his country is relevant in a thread about the "20 most disappointing Irish moments" or whatever the name of the poll is

and fair play to him for having the b**ls to walk out .. even if wrong decision ... lets just move on... stephen ireland did he not walk out also recently / steve finnann unavailable due to injury miracle cure on saturday after both match to play for liverpool :mad:

pineapple stu
29/09/2007, 1:09 AM
Again, if any of you had bothered to read the original, linked, thread, you'd know it's not about good moments in Irish sport, but scandal in Irish sport.

Morbo
29/09/2007, 1:03 PM
and fair play to him for having the b**ls to walk out .. even if wrong decision ... lets just move on... stephen ireland did he not walk out also recently / steve finnann unavailable due to injury miracle cure on saturday after both match to play for liverpool :mad:

It takes BALLS to walk out on your country? you got a strange notion of what balls means, I'll admit Keane had a point but he handled it in completely the wrong way, anyway you won't hear me defending Finnan either, he clearly choose club over country, as for Ireland, he is a dope but at least he had a legitimate reason if the story about his gf's miscarriage is true

Scram
29/09/2007, 5:37 PM
I think they do - its called the Ward Wide Web.
:D

As to the other comments on Saipan, in the famous words of Eric Cantona "as long as the dumb trout bite, I will continue to bait my hook".....well, he didn't really say that :p

Anyway! Saipan probably would be the most contentious moment in Irish sport so probably will make the #1 spot. Pity it couldn't be something like Ireland winning something.

I guess they are not looking for best moments but most newsworthy, otherwise Eamonn Coughlan, Ronnie Delaney etc. would be in there.

tricky_colour
30/09/2007, 2:29 AM

Yes but some new people may have been born since then ;)

CollegeTillIDie
30/09/2007, 11:41 AM
Eamonn Coughlan coming 4th twice was a scandal particularly as on one occasion one of the three blokes ahead of him much later on failed a dope test.

pineapple stu
30/09/2007, 4:35 PM
Shock horror as athletics person fails dope test. :rolleyes:

stojkovic
30/09/2007, 6:07 PM
Ye can say "get over it" all ye want but the truth is that Keane will always be remembered as the only Irish player to ever walk out on his country before a world cup,

Johan Cruijff
Ruud Gullit
Stefan Effenberg
Bernd Schuster
Edgar Davids
Zlatko Zahovic

All the above walked out, refused to go or were sent home from major tournaments.

John83
30/09/2007, 9:28 PM
Johan Cruijff
Ruud Gullit
Stefan Effenberg
Bernd Schuster
Edgar Davids
Zlatko Zahovic

All the above walked out, refused to go or were sent home from major tournaments.
Zahovic's comments to his manager were very funny (from a neutral's point of view). "I can buy you, I can buy your house, your family, and I can buy that mountain we were running on during our preparations. You were a crap player, and you’re the same as a coach."

I can't (and couldn't at the time) help but think of
"...You were a crap player and you are a crap manager..." which Keane is supposed to have yelled at McCarthy around the same time. Kindred spirits?

Morbo
01/10/2007, 1:27 AM
Johan Cruijff
Ruud Gullit
Stefan Effenberg
Bernd Schuster
Edgar Davids
Zlatko Zahovic

I'm aware of that, thats why I used the qualifier "only IRISH player":rolleyes:

stojkovic
01/10/2007, 8:48 PM
I'm aware of that, thats why I used the qualifier "only IRISH player":rolleyes:

I never said that you didnt.

I was merely trying to point out the fact that it happens in other countries as well, especially Holland (van Basten wanted to go home before he scored the hat-trick against England in 88 but Cruijff persauded him to stay).

If Ireland had qualified for more tournaments there would have been more rows (like the farce in Orlando in 94 with Setters)

Morbo
02/10/2007, 9:08 AM
I never said that you didnt.

I was merely trying to point out the fact that it happens in other countries as well, especially Holland (van Basten wanted to go home before he scored the hat-trick against England in 88 but Cruijff persauded him to stay).

If Ireland had qualified for more tournaments there would have been more rows (like the farce in Orlando in 94 with Setters)

Ok fair enough, I thought you were being a smart arse, my mistake.

Well anyway I'm just saying that Keane will always be remember for that even if other Irish players do something similar in the future, the fact that Ireland don't qualify for as many tournaments makes it a much bigger deal when someone pulls out, van Basten was a great player but he is as stubburn as Keane as he proved in last years World Cup when he refused to bring on Horseface when they badly needed a goal

Ireland4ever
02/10/2007, 12:29 PM
Just after hearing Mario Rosenstock on Today FM going on about the show....it sounded very good, well up until they played a clip of that muppet Ryle Nugent wettng himself when they played God Save the Queen at Croker!

OwlsFan
30/10/2007, 10:34 AM
I enjoyed the programme except there was too much of my hero :rolleyes: Dunphy and Laughing Bill.

Most emotive (still): Saipan.

Saddest: Sale of Milltown (Dunphy was silent on the fact that he supported the sale) and seeing those old clips of the ground made me very nostalgic.

Heart breaker: Sonja O'Sullivan in Atlanta where for whatever reason she had to drop out when trailing behind the field in the final. It was the one of the few not teinted by controversy: just disappointment.

Much ado about nothing: Cascarino being adopted and not therefore having Irish genes.

Well worth watching.

citizenerased
30/10/2007, 10:38 AM
michelle smyth is innocent!!

OwlsFan
30/10/2007, 10:52 AM

She still has her medals unlike Cian O'Connor :eek:. Interesting story about the tester calling at her home late one evening and the sample she gave having a huge whiskey content with the inference being she contaminated it.

cheifo
30/10/2007, 11:12 AM
Most embaressing= Saipan Our collective reaction(including me) lost all perspective.Bill with his "I am very much in the Keane camp" was a good indicator of the fact that we still have a childish and polarised attitude to the whole thing.On mature reflection Its obvious both men could have handled things better and would proably do so given the chance.

Most Heartbreaking=Sonia, that image of her trailing behind covered in sweat
with a bewildered expression on her face.

After the horse has bolted=Kilcoynes should never have sold Milltown but why didnt those thousands of protestors turn up to the matches?

Most intriguing=Cian O Conner and the related break ins.Who would have both the motivation and the expertise to do this?Somebody please pm me if they have heard what the general conclusion is.What a mystery?Why has there not being more press investigation into such an intriguing chain of events?

mypost
30/10/2007, 11:16 AM

True.

why didnt those thousands of protestors turn up to the matches?

They did. Quoting thousands is OTT as well. The fans who protested, were the ones who went every fortnight.

Every club had poor attendances in those days, for mainly economic reasons, bar Derry. How many of them left their home ground because of it?

cheifo
30/10/2007, 11:45 AM
Fair enough My Post.I was nt having a go at Rovers supporters but the maybe the wider football community could have done more to prevent Miltown being lost to Rovers and Irish football.For the record as a kid I use to love watching that Rovers team of the mid eighties.Off the top of my head

Jody Byrne,Kenny,McDonagh,Neville,Brady,Liam O Brien,Pat Byrne,Coady,Steedman(??) Campbell,Buckley sub Eccles Larkin, Byrne,King

I know I might be out by a couple of years with some of the players but they were def the best LOI side I have seen.Recall the beating Man Ure and Arsenal in friendlies and feeling very proud.

lionelhutz
30/10/2007, 11:54 AM
Most embaressing= Saipan Our collective reaction(including me) lost all perspective.Bill with his "I am very much in the Keane camp" was a good indicator of the fact that we still have a childish and polarised attitude to the whole thing.On mature reflection Its obvious both men could have handled things better and would proably do so given the chance.
Most Heartbreaking=Sonia, that image of her trailing behind covered in sweat
with a bewildered expression on her face.

After the horse has bolted=Kilcoynes should never have sold Milltown but why didnt those thousands of protestors turn up to the matches?

Most intriguing=Cian O Conner and the related break ins.Who would have both the motivation and the expertise to do this?Somebody please pm me if they have heard what the general conclusion is.What a mystery?Why has there not being more press investigation into such an intriguing chain of events?

This is what i've been thinking all along. 2 grown men too stubborn to admit their mistakes for the sake of the world cup

pete
30/10/2007, 12:01 PM
Fairly good show overall. Better than I expected. Does any one have the final list 1-20?

Some interesting extra information provided on the drug cheats. Not sure how some of the GAA ones included & that "whistle blown too early" was far too high up the list.

Macy
30/10/2007, 12:07 PM
Much ado about nothing: Cascarino being adopted and not therefore having Irish genes.
I didn't watch the programme, but that non-story made the list?

Dodge
30/10/2007, 12:13 PM
Jody Byrne,Kenny,McDonagh,Neville,Brady,Liam O Brien,Pat Byrne,Coady,Steedman(??) Campbell,Buckley sub Eccles Larkin, Byrne,King

I know I might be out by a couple of years with some of the players but they were def the best LOI side I have seen.Recall the beating Man Ure and Arsenal in friendlies and feeling very proud.
You remember them never progressing once in europe despite playing the Linfield and the champions of Cyprus (then much worse than us in terms f european results)?

Ceirtlis
30/10/2007, 12:16 PM
Fairly good show overall. Better than I expected. Does any one have the final list 1-20?

Some interesting extra information provided on the drug cheats. Not sure how some of the GAA ones included & that "whistle blown too early" was far too high up the list.

The two games of GAA have the highest attendance figures in Ireland, of course they are going to shoehorn some of them into the list. The whistle blown up early was a very big story at the time as well, it changed the winners of the all-ireland that year and it was seen by many as part of a plot by the GAA to do Clare out of the All-Ireland that year.

chuckie
30/10/2007, 12:29 PM
The biggest non-story had to be the English rugby players lining up on the wrong side of the red carpet.

mypost
30/10/2007, 12:31 PM
You remember them never progressing once in europe despite playing the Linfield and the champions of Cyprus (then much worse than us in terms f european results)?

Linfield won a "derby" on away goals, and we lost narrowly to Nicosia, who would have been a better side at the time. It's not like we lost home and away to teams from the Swiss second division, or lost 0-10 to Moldovan teams, after all.

Nobody else won in Europe in those days either, so can't understand how it's relevant to this.

Stuttgart88
30/10/2007, 12:51 PM
And didn't Irish teams all have to play early European rounds virtually pre-season? No disgrace going out early to Celtic or Honved (with the superb Lajos Detari playing) either. A bit unfair I'd say Dodge, that really was a great Rovers side with some super players.

gspain
30/10/2007, 12:57 PM

Twice actually.

78/9 ECWC

Shamrock Rovers - APOEL Nicosia 2:0 (1:0)
(Giles 44, Lynnex 67)
APOEL Nicosia - SHAMROCK ROVERS 0:1 (0:0)
(Lynnex 88)

Banik Ostrava - Shamrock Rovers 3:0 (2:0)
(Knapp 5, Radimec 30, Rygi 50)
Shamrock Rovers - BANIK Ostrava 1:3 (0:1)
(Giles 59 - Lička 37, 66, Albrecht 46)

82/3 UEFA Cup

Fram Reykjavik - Shamrock Rovers 0:3 (0:2)
(Murphy 30, Campbell 43, Gaynor 89)
SHAMROCK Rovers - Fram Reykjavik 4:0 (1:0)
(O'Corroll 16, Buckley 54, Beglin 72, Gaynor 77)

Shamrock Rovers - Un. Craiova 0:2 (0:1)
(Irimescu 3, Balaci 58)
UN. Craiova - Shamrock Rovers 3:0 (1:0)
((Campbell 30 o), Cirtu 54, 69)

They should have beaten Linfield. Drew 0-0 up in belfast. Dominated in Dublin but Linfield defended superbly and hung on to go through on away goals.

Omonia game in 87 was in Tolka. Poor performance I agree.

Note I know rovers beat Spora in 66 as well.

OwlsFan
30/10/2007, 1:05 PM
I didn't watch the programme, but that non-story made the list?

No. 20 if memory serves me correctly.

Another interesting one was Alex Higgins from the Shankhill threatening to have Denis Taylor from the nationalist side shot next time he was in Norn Iron because he didn't share the highest break prize with him when the two were playing for Northern Ireland. They then shortly after came face to face in Goffs for the Irish Championship.

The riot at the Ireland vs England soccer game was also well up the list. I was in the East Stand for that and thus out of harms way :D.

Dodge
30/10/2007, 1:14 PM
Nobody else won in Europe in those days either, so can't understand how it's relevant to this.
just countering the "best LOI side" argument

Twice actually.
was speaking about the 4 in a row team

And didn't Irish teams all have to play early European rounds virtually pre-season?
Nope, end of September, 1st week in October usually

Don't want this to distract from the main arguement (of how the Kilcoyne family ruined Rovers, and set irish football back years). Just hate the rose tinted view of that side. The LOI was at an all time low in the mid to late 80s IMO.

As for the programme, did it mention anything about Kilcoyne's involvement with Cork City a few years after the Rovers thing? Or anything about him sellling tickets on the black market in Italy in 1990? Did it mention that he still hadn't fully paid for Milltown when he sold it? DId he mention they played Celtic in 1986 in front of a packed house or the fees they received for beglin and O'Brien (which almost certainly would've paid Rovers bills for the year)?

The amount of schysters involved in our league is unbelievable

Macy
30/10/2007, 1:21 PM

Obviously more quality programming from RTE, given this and the England Rugby team standing in the wrong place being on the list, and the apparent easy ride for the Kilcoynes. Bank Holiday programming by Bank Holiday cover?

lionelhutz
30/10/2007, 1:36 PM

No. 20 was actually Paidi O'Se calling Kerry people a bunch of F***ING animals. How this was considered a major moment in Irish sporting history I'll never know.

Most people from the kingdom would admit that they are animals when it comes to demanding success from their footballers

noby
30/10/2007, 2:13 PM

Am I the only one who read that as "No; 20 non-stories made the list"?

OwlsFan
30/10/2007, 2:29 PM
http://www.rte.ie/tv/20moments/moment_00s_paidi_o_se.html

Here they are. Yes, Cascarino was No. 19.