PDA

View Full Version : Durban Delay ensures Cup Deferral

A face
27/09/2007, 6:22 PM
Durban Delay (http://www.southafrica.info/2010/draw-230807.htm) ensures Cup Deferral (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junket) as domestic football takes a backseat (http://www.agemed.org/images/files/rrs_logo.jpg) !! :eek::mad::(

A face
28/09/2007, 12:19 AM
Two steps forward, eight steps back

Whats the weather (http://www.windfinder.com/forecast/durban) like in Durban in November?

Sam_Heggy
28/09/2007, 8:53 AM
Feckin shocking, putting a holiday ahead of one of the biggest dates in LOI's season :mad: Typical FAI how do they expect to drag this league forward when they dont give a rats arse themselves.
Maxi have you still got that petrol can?

JC_GUFC
28/09/2007, 9:28 AM
It's a faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarce

pete
28/09/2007, 10:26 AM
Hmmmm FAI Cup Final or week in Durban. November is summer there & even the waves look good. An easy choice really, its not as if Delaney is paid to attend the FAI Cup final... :eek:

mrtndvn
28/09/2007, 2:14 PM
wise up lads. Now that derry's out no one gives a crap

CollegeTillIDie
29/09/2007, 9:51 AM
mrtndvn

Oooooooooooooooooh sour grapes! :D

superfrank
29/09/2007, 3:25 PM
Do yez no think it might have something to do with the World Cup draw????

Yes, our cup final shouldn't moved around but it's a whole lot easier to move our final then asking Sepp Blatter to move the World Cup draw. At least this way Delaney will be at the cup final as well as the WC draw instead of only going to the WC draw instead.

Why don't yez think about things first before getting on your high horse?

Poor Student
29/09/2007, 3:28 PM
Frank, that is exactly most people's point. It's an irrelevance if one or several blazers aren't at the FAI Cup final compared to the impact of moving it to a further week after the last game of the league season. The added wages part time clubs may pay, the momentum lost in terms of interest in the final due to its isolation from the rest of the season and the possible impact on the quality of the match by two participants who haven't played a competitive game for nearly a month. All that incurred so a few people may attend a game?

superfrank
29/09/2007, 3:34 PM
All that incurred so a few people may attend a game?
I can see it both ways. We all know the great foot.ie cynics wuld be out in their droves if the FAI uppers weren't there.

I understand the financial side of it but surely the clubs can let the part-time staff off for two of the weeks and get them back a week before the final for preparation and only pay them for the one week. It's not going to affect full-timers, they'll be paid anyway.

As for fitness, well the match is being played at the end of a long season anyway. The players will be knackered as it is. What harm would one weeks more rest do?

I don't agree with moving it but I can see why they did it. Although they shouldn't have lied about it at the time. They should've come out and said it straight away.

CollegeTillIDie
30/09/2007, 8:06 AM
Well I suppose they have to have someone at the WC 2010 group draw to work on sorting out the fixtures. So we can say'' please sir can we use your ground ?'' to our sporting rivals the GAA on certain dates for the home games.

Stato
01/10/2007, 8:26 AM
Will the FAI compensate the two cup finalists for having to pay an extra week's wages? Under footballing rules you can't "let the part-time staff off for two of the weeks and get them back a week before the final for preparation and only pay them for the one week". A contract is a contract and whether you're full time or part time you get paid based on that contract.

On the basis that the cup final clubs only get 30% of the gate after all expenses are paid out it's not exactly a money spinner for them to be there.

SunderlandBohs
01/10/2007, 11:54 AM
It's a disgrace!Just because the World Cup draw falls in or around the time of the FAI Cup doesn't mean the Final should be postponed!Surely not everyone from the FAI has to attended the draw? Imagine if this happened in England? There would be up roar!

Mr A
01/10/2007, 12:29 PM
Would anyone give one monkey's f**k if the FAI bigwigs were not at the final anyway? I think they hugely over-estimate their importance to the event- because I do not for one moment believe that they are actually all that bothered about being there.

Sonic
01/10/2007, 3:43 PM
Do yez no think it might have something to do with the World Cup draw????

Yes, our cup final shouldn't moved around but it's a whole lot easier to move our final then asking Sepp Blatter to move the World Cup draw. At least this way Delaney will be at the cup final as well as the WC draw instead of only going to the WC draw instead.

Why don't yez think about things first before getting on your high horse?

So your saying that should any of the part time teams left in d fai cup come the final i.e us and UCD should delay our season a couple in doing so have to pay our players while no money comes in in return. Its a joke. The Fai are just clueless I am so sick of this and anyone making excuses for them are just either in denial or have some connection with the fai.

A face
01/10/2007, 5:41 PM
So your saying that should any of the part time teams left in d fai cup come the final i.e us and UCD should delay our season a couple in doing so have to pay our players while no money comes in in return. Its a joke. The Fai are just clueless I am so sick of this and anyone making excuses for them are just either in denial or have some connection with the fai.

I think its in defensible to be honest. There is NO logic to it.

The FAI bigwigs can still go to Durban, its not like half them were at previous cup finals. The Finals can still go ahead without them with no need for delay. Cups wouldn't be out of pocket.

What if clubs cant pay them? Seriously, with NO income coming in, what happens then. Will the PFAI be coming around early next year enabling other clubs to poach those players (again) because of this crazy situation that the FAI have put clubs in. Will the FAI do anything to prevent any of this stuff happening? Will they heck.

Brand new spanking league, yeah right !! :mad::(

superfrank
01/10/2007, 7:06 PM
I understand the financial side of it but surely the clubs can let the part-time staff off for two of the weeks and get them back a week before the final for preparation and only pay them for the one week. It's not going to affect full-timers, they'll be paid anyway.

So your saying that should any of the part time teams left in d fai cup come the final i.e us and UCD should delay our season a couple in doing so have to pay our players while no money comes in in return.

Sonic
01/10/2007, 8:30 PM
so whats ..... supposed to mean! On that basis alone maybe the fai will cop up the money that may be lost should either one of us gets to the finally. I doubt that will happen!

superfrank
02/10/2007, 10:11 AM
so whats ..... supposed to mean!
It means I already covered the point and if you had read my post you would've noticed my suggestion on the financial side.

Schumi
02/10/2007, 11:14 AM
That's unworkable. Would players be expected to train, eat properly, etc. on their two weeks off? If not, they won't be properly prepared for the final. If so, it's grossly unfair to expect them to carry on as players for two weeks without pay. I doubt any player would agree to that, and quite correctly too.

Sonic
02/10/2007, 11:35 AM
It means I already covered the point and if you had read my post you would've noticed my suggestion on the financial side.
And as schumi quite rightly put it things dont work like that. A contract is a contract and while the season is still going on the players have to be paid each week simple as that.

Student Mullet
02/10/2007, 12:38 PM
I think the issue of pay is a distraction. The bigger issue is that 10 or 20 thousand people are being inconvenienced and the two teams competing are having their schedules interrupted for the sake of a small number of officials. It puts the FAI's priorities into perspective.

superfrank
02/10/2007, 11:06 PM
TWould players be expected to train, eat properly, etc. on their two weeks off?
I think it should be at the player's own discretion. But if they knew they'd be playing again in two weeks they're hardly going to go on a mad one in Amsterdam for the weekend. Players are people too. You'd expect them to have a bit of cop on and take their job seriously. I don't see how two weeks off would really induce a malaise in their exercise. They are, after all, athletes.

On the financial side, aren't all clubs that remain going to be budgeting with the FAI Cup final in mind. i.e. they know they have an extra week to pay the players for so it's not as if they can't readjust their financial projections. Maybe they pull the plug on a proposed PR stunt or wait til after the Semis to look at transfers. Surely all of this falls into competent accounting?

pineapple stu
03/10/2007, 12:53 PM
Your point simply isn't valid, I'm afraid, superfrank. schumi's reasons are correct - you can't tell the players to go away and keep fit for a week any more than you can tell them to go away during the week, keep fit and only pay them for 90 minutes' work. It's utterly unfair to even suggest they go off and train for the biggest game of the season for nothing because the club wasn't expecting it to be put back another week.

You can readjust financial projections all you want; that doesn't necessarily change reality. It's very short notice to be asking for an extra week's wages (on top of the two extra which were already needed), which is the biggest single expense a club has. By definition, it's very hard to cut that much money out of your budget at short notice. One promo does not equate to one week's wages.

Obviously, though, a sensible club wouldn't have budgeted to get to the Cup Final in the first place, so by virtue of reaching it, they'd have exceeded their budget enough to cover the extra three weeks' wages. That said, I know it's a major concern for us if we reach it.

btid1
03/10/2007, 1:54 PM
On the financial side, aren't all clubs that remain going to be budgeting with the FAI Cup final in mind. i.e. they know they have an extra week to pay the players for so it's not as if they can't readjust their financial projections. Maybe they pull the plug on a proposed PR stunt or wait til after the Semis to look at transfers. Surely all of this falls into competent accounting?

Why should they have to?

Because of FAI incompetence!!I think I would be sending the bill to Merrion Square if I was the Treasurer of any of these clubs!!

A face
03/10/2007, 2:28 PM
I think it should be at the player's own discretion. But if they knew they'd be playing again in two weeks they're hardly going to go on a mad one in Amsterdam for the weekend. Players are people too. You'd expect them to have a bit of cop on and take their job seriously. I don't see how two weeks off would really induce a malaise in their exercise. They are, after all, athletes.

Thats all great ..... if you pay players €20 a week.

All the same Frank, you should write a book on economics, i'd wager it would be very enlightening