PDA

View Full Version : World Cup 2010

A face
27/09/2007, 6:13 PM
Durban gears up for 2010 draw
24 August 2007

South Africa's "Surf City" hosts the first official event leading up to the 2010 Fifa World Cup, the preliminary draw for the qualifying tournament, on 25 November. The draw, which determines the qualifying groups for soccer's showpiece competition, will be a sizeable event in its own right.

The entire Durban International Convention Centre has been booked out to accommodate the large number of Fifa officials, representatives of countries taking part in the draw, and more than 300 journalists from around the world who will be covering the event.

Read more at www.southafrica.info (http://www.southafrica.info/2010/draw-230807.htm)

jebus
03/10/2007, 8:19 PM
I predict that the 2010 World Cup will be the biggest farce since the word farce was included in the Oxford Dictionary. You read it hear first!

eamo1
05/10/2007, 12:06 AM
just because the stadiums wont be ready and we wont be there that doesnt make it the biggest farce:D.

endabob1
09/10/2007, 8:31 AM
I predict that the 2010 World Cup will be the biggest farce since the word farce was included in the Oxford Dictionary. You read it hear first!

On what basis?

SA hosted the RWC in 95 & Cricket WC a couple of years ago which although much smaller were both very well run & organised.

pete
09/10/2007, 10:17 AM
Was in Johannesburg recently for the first time & lets just say the airport makes Dublin look efficient. A lot of building & renovation work but the main problems seemed to be organisation.

I believe the stadium will be ready basically as I heard they only building one new stadium in Cape Town. They have also scaled back the capacity to keep costs down.

They could have problems with communications although I am sure they will install dedicated lines & such. The broadband infrastructure again makes Ireland look Developed.

I don't see why it should be a farce. Is it because it is in Africa? :confused:

World Cup could be a bug success for them as I am sure they will use to advertise their tourist industry like we do at Eurovision, Ryder Cup etc...

endabob1
09/10/2007, 10:28 AM
There is a few new stadiums and to be fair there was a large amount of politics being played. The Cape Town one was supposed to be a renovation of Newlands but the WPRU who own the grounds refused to let them make the amount of changes they were proposing so they have had to build a new one. Initially the local council refues to fund it as they said it wasn't needed so the National Govt had to intervene.
The Jo'Burg Airport renovation has been badly needed and is being done in preparation for the World Cup, the country as a whole seem to be getting their act together for it. I'm hoping to be living over there in time for it.

jebus
20/10/2007, 8:52 PM
Reports I've read have suggested that the country's infrastructure won't be able to handle the World Cup, couple that with the problems with the stadia and I come to my farce conclusion

Claret Murph
21/10/2007, 6:16 AM
They put on a good face on football foucs yesterday and seemed to be ahead on their build plan .
I was happy to hear that they would offer "cheap tickets" so even the locals could go along and see a game as not all are rich by a very long way . All that is a long way off yet but it holds promise I must say .

CollegeTillIDie
26/10/2007, 3:26 PM
Sure you wouldn't want to be at a World Cup in South Africa anyway. You'd probably be shot when being carjacked.... :D

endabob1
01/11/2007, 12:51 PM
Sure you wouldn't want to be at a World Cup in South Africa anyway. You'd probably be shot when being carjacked.... :D

Or get eaten alive by Lions....
Or catch HIV wandering about the shops...

Why stop there with the stereotyping :(

pete
01/11/2007, 1:28 PM

Keep your window closed & don't drive slowly. ;)

osarusan
01/11/2007, 2:45 PM
Seth Efrica.

Kingdom
01/11/2007, 2:54 PM
...is that once Blatter got his chance to "bring" the World Cup to Japan/Korea, South Africa and back to Brazil, he quits on the rotation policy. He's a fcuking shammer, and I hope he rots. I couldn't care less whether Africa has had 20 world cups or none, they deserve it on merit or they don't. It remains to be seen whether it does deserve to host it or not.

pete
01/11/2007, 5:20 PM
Football is supposed to be a world game so they need to make an effort to spread it across the continents. There are a limited number of countries that can hold the tournament & I do think FIFA are correct to assist less developed countries in getting the tournament otherwise will just have the largest countries buying votes.

South Africa would possibly have better infrastructure than Brazil but I have never been to Brazil.

A face
03/11/2007, 10:26 PM
I think its brilliant, the whole world will be looking at it and the more glaring it is the better. That's exactly whats needed imo, paper over the cracks fair enough, it'll probably happen in Europe as well but nothing wrong with a dose of reality.

OwlsFan
16/11/2007, 3:06 PM
Don't bring a gun along either. It'll be taken off you at the door of the bars as you are searched. The police stations have Armed Response Phone Numbers emblazoned on their roofs. Some areas are pretty dodgy it has to be said but you could say that about Limerick as well I suppose.

KR's Post
16/11/2007, 9:09 PM
Provisional Seeding groups

Italy
France
Germany
Spain
Netherlands
Portugal
Czech Republic
Croatia
England

Romania
Scotland
Greece
Russia
Poland
Norway
Ukraine
Sweden
Serbia

Turkey
Denmark
Republic of Ireland
Bulgaria
Northern Ireland
Israel
Switzerland
Finland
Hungary

Bosnia-Herzegovina
Slovakia
Belgium
Cyprus
Wales
Moldova
Albania
Georgia
FYR Macedonia

Slovenia
Iceland
Armenia
Latvia
Austria
Lithuania
Belarus
Azerbaijan
Liechtenstein

Kazakhstan
Estonia
Malta
Luxembourg
Montenegro
Andorra
Faroe Islands
San Marino

KR's Post
16/11/2007, 9:22 PM
Is this what we would love?

Irish qualifying group 2010 Qualifying South Africa.

1.Czech's
2.Norway
3.Rep of Ireland
4.Wales
5.Liechstenstein
6.Andorra

The group for the sun lovers!

1.Spain
2.Greece
3.Rep of Ireland
4.Cyprus
5.Austria
6.Malta

Group to avoid!
1.France
2.Romania
3.Rep of Ireland
4.Macedonia
5.Latvia
6.Kazakhstan

Hibs4Ever
18/11/2007, 4:03 AM
Would like:

Czech Rep
Scotland
Wales
Leichtenstein
Andorra

Jock MIB
19/11/2007, 10:00 AM
Would like:

Czech Rep
Scotland
Wales
Leichtenstein
Andorra

yeah me too would be easy 6 points for the mighty scots :D

deadman
20/11/2007, 11:46 AM
anyone know what time the draw is on ????

i presume it will be televised ... but can't find much info about it. fifa site is useless as usual

Superhoops
21/11/2007, 4:49 PM
anyone know what time the draw is on ????

i presume it will be televised ... but can't find much info about it. fifa site is useless as usual

You only have to look here (http://fifa.com/worldcup/organisation/media/newsid=637089.html#south+africa+world+football+spo tlight+from+november).

Green Tribe
22/11/2007, 11:05 AM
wherever i was looking on fifa i couldn't see it either :o

paulocon
25/11/2007, 12:26 PM
Think BBC have the draw (or at least the European section) - 4.15 or something like that..

Seagull
25/11/2007, 3:23 PM
Group 1 Portugal, Sweden, Denmark, Hungary, Albania, Malta

Group 2 Greece, Israel, Switzerland, Moldova, Latvia, Luxembourg

Group 3 Czech Republic, Poland, NORTHERN IRELAND, Slovakia, Slovenia, San Marino

Group 4 Germany, Russia, Finland, WALES, Azerbaijan, Liechtenstein

Group 5 Spain, Turkey, Belgium, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Armenia, Estonia

Group 6 Croatia, ENGLAND, Ukraine, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Andorra

Group 7 France, Romania, Serbia, Lithuania, Austria, Faroe Islands

Group 8 Italy, Bulgaria, REPUBLIC OF IRELAND, Cyprus, Georgia, Montenegro

Group 9 Holland, SCOTLAND, Norway, FYR Macedonia, Iceland

Lionel Ritchie
25/11/2007, 4:35 PM
Initial impression is that it's a stinker. Bulgaria are handy. Montenegro will quite possibly turn out to be some way better than a 6th seed. Would've rathered we avoided them.

It's a good thing I like hill walking because the wilderness beckons.

scottish_bohs
25/11/2007, 8:07 PM
I think that's a fairly handy group for Ireland and fancy them to get through.

Steve Bruce
26/11/2007, 8:22 AM
I think ROI has got a bad group. I would be suprised if ROI got through.

I think the NI group is a lot more managable and thankfully I've got my hands on 2 block bookings(one for me and one for my grandfather)

eamo1
26/11/2007, 12:25 PM
its definatly not the hardest qualifying group weve ever got because weve had a few bad ones before.if we got this group a few years ago under mc.carthy id be pretty confident of us sailing through to take second at least.obviously it will depend on what the new manager is like but if hes half decent at least we will have a good shot at 2nd place and the playoffs.

Jayk69
01/12/2007, 12:04 AM
i agree this group is a stinker!!! we got Italy, not great at all. Bulgaria as always will be dark horses, sure they're in the top 15 in the rankings, Cyprus,, we've tried twice already to beat them and that hasn't happened, let me guess, the talk will be all about revenage, fat chance, least we've pretty much 3 pts from Georgia but lets hope they don't play football like they do rugby or we're fluttered. Jury is out on Montenegro, these could be a handful. Best team we have at the mo is the under 23's and they're all league of Ireland and althoughthey get decent wages, they play for the love of the game and not their over swelling bank balances!

Thunderblaster
02/12/2007, 12:48 PM
Watch out for Roma's Mirko Vucinic who plays for Roma. Would be quite a handful.

willk1977
05/12/2007, 10:18 AM
Hi Guys,

Does anyone know when the fixtures meeting is going to be held for our group ?
thanks

Superhoops
05/12/2007, 4:46 PM
Hi Guys,

Does anyone know when the fixtures meeting is going to be held for our group ?
thanks

According to RTE it is 16th January in Sofia.

eamo1
15/01/2008, 12:42 PM
draw was made this morning,here it is.taken from FAI's site.
The Republic of Ireland will start the FIFA World Cup 2010, Group 8 qualifying campaign away to Georgia on the 6th September 2008 followed by a trip to Montenegro on 10th September.
FIFA World Cup 2010 - Group 8 Qualifying Fixtures

6th September 2008: Georgia v Republic of Ireland

10th September 2008: Montenegro v Republic of Ireland

15th October 2008: Republic of Ireland v Cyprus

11th February 2009: Republic of Ireland v Georgia

28th March 2009: Republic of Ireland v Bulgaria

1st April 2009: Italy v Republic of Ireland

6th June 2009: Bulgaria v Republic of Ireland

5th September 2009: Cyprus v Republic of Ireland

10th October 2009: Republic of Ireland v Italy

14th October 2009: Republic of Ireland v Montenegro

eamo1
15/01/2008, 12:44 PM
Of course it wasnt a "draw",dont know why i said that."talks" is a more apt word.

pete
15/01/2008, 1:37 PM
Due to Croke Park availability a lot of home games bunched together. Two difficult games to start with a need wins to have chance at qualifying.

bennocelt
25/11/2009, 7:28 PM
Just curious as too what teams would be seeded?
I guess its the top in the rankings and South Africa

so............South Africa
Spain
Brazil
Holland
Italy
Portugal
Germany
France.......................

..............so Argentina, England and Serbia will be in some 'toughiish' group
and whats the bet SA will get New Zealand and North Korea?

endabob1
26/11/2009, 7:38 AM
England & Argentina are seeded Portugal & Holland are not

bennocelt
26/11/2009, 8:00 AM
England & Argentina are seeded Portugal & Holland are not

Ok thats interesting, so how do they do the seeds then?

Might be also interesting if France got Algeria

endabob1
26/11/2009, 9:07 AM
Not sure I thought it was World Ranking but that would have it as
1 Spain
2 Brazil
3 Netherlands
4 Italy
5 Portugal
6 Germany
7 France
Plus SA as hosts.
I read somewhere earlier in the week that England were to be seeded along but Portugal & Holland were not seeds. Makes no sense with the Dutch ranked 3rd in the world.

Apparently it's being announced on the 2nd.....

http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/ranking/news/newsid=1137443.html#spain+regain+leadership+from+b razil

Everything else you read is just guff, appologies if I was misleading earlier