PDA

View Full Version : The GAA Mentality - It's Not Just "Evil Soccer"

Boh_So_Good
26/09/2007, 10:34 PM
This is probably end up in Rubbish, but here goes anyways...a true story which needs to be told, even though we heard it a million times before.

Person I know, lives in the West of Ireland. The town she lives in rural Sligo a modern secondary school opens up about 4 years ago. 800 pupils. Many from diverse and immigrant backgrounds. Built by the taxpayers, no matter, the priests and nuns still run in and put Sacred Heart and Jesus icons on the wall.

Some of the kids in the school interested in Rugby. PE teacher says OK. Rugby teams starts up. Massive sign up and participation by young lads in school. They start playing. They start winning matches. They win a regional tournament.

Last year, Rugby team discontinued by school headmaster because "he's a real GAA man through and through" and was annoyed at the poor result of the school's GAA teams. Claimed rugby team was damaging the gaelic football team. Parents protests on behalf of their kids, ignored - headmaster a real GAA man through and through... GAA team's results still rubbish.

True story.

SligoBrewer
26/09/2007, 10:43 PM
thats why i hate some parts of sligo

jebus
26/09/2007, 10:52 PM
Swap Iran President for Sligo Principal, hetrosexuality for GAA and Homosexuality for Rugby and you've got one of todays top world news stories

Sheridan
26/09/2007, 11:05 PM
Swap Iran President for Sligo Principal, hetrosexuality for GAA and Homosexuality for Rugby and you've got one of todays top world news stories
Isn't that last switch somewhat redundant?

jebus
26/09/2007, 11:12 PM
Isn't that last switch somewhat redundant?

I didn't want to be the one to say so :)

Poor Student
27/09/2007, 7:55 AM
My principal always quashed soccer in Terenure College in case it got in the way of rugby, it's not just a rural GAA thing.

anto1208
27/09/2007, 8:29 AM
Yea we couldnt have a soccer team or a Football or Hurling team because it was a rugby school :(

But if they really wanted it they could organise the team themselves like we did.

jebus
27/09/2007, 9:54 AM
Nothing was squashed totally in our school, but everyone knew what the pecking order was, hurling, rugby, long drop down, football/soccer, basketball. I only include basketball because in my 6 years there the team got to the Irish Final twice, memorably being a sidenote one year in the Principals address about how the brave hurlers got spanked by CBS in the quarters of the Harty Cup :rolleyes:

Not to mention the time a hurler in 4th year kicked the snot out of a 2nd/1st year for no apparant reason and got away scot free because he lived beside the principal and was a hurler :rolleyes::rolleyes:

galwayhoop
27/09/2007, 10:48 AM

but what do you swap Regional Tournament with????

jebus
27/09/2007, 10:53 AM
but what do you swap Regional Tournament with????

swap a few orgasms with a regional tournament so, thought that was obvious :p

monutdfc
27/09/2007, 10:53 AM
Same in my school - the football team got the gaa team's cast-off jerseys.

bennocelt
27/09/2007, 1:09 PM
and i was a member of the cross country team in my old skool, which was hard in a GAA loved skool:(