PDA

View Full Version : John O'Flynn #1

Pablo Escobar
24/04/2003, 9:44 PM
I cannot see how Byrne is better than him and I now know that Crowe isn't better than him!
Mainly Longford fans, you will see at the week-end exactly what I'm talking about! It's hard to write about it, but the guy is a genious!
O'Callaghan's 1st goal against Bohs was all O'Flynn! He beat DEREK COUGHLAN in the air with a cushioned header just outside the six yard box and then found time to spin and flick the ball over the keeper into Georgie's path and the rest was a formality!

UCD_4_Life
24/04/2003, 10:27 PM
And you're not biased. :rolleyes:

UCD_4_Life
24/04/2003, 10:29 PM
How, exactly, do you "know" that he's better than Crowe?

joe
25/04/2003, 9:48 AM
Originally posted by UCD_4_Life
How, exactly, do you "know" that he's better than Crowe?

it says it in the song :rolleyes:

:p

fonzi
25/04/2003, 10:33 AM
creow is deffo a bit better. more experiance.
o'flynn a deffo second

foureyes
25/04/2003, 11:21 AM
O'Flynn is improving all the while though. Crowe misses a lot of chances but is always in the right place so gets his share. John doesnt miss too many... positional sense can be developed, the champions league can be ours!!!

Real ale Madrid
25/04/2003, 11:29 AM
I think Flynn is possibly a better all round player, but Crowe is the better goalscorer . His header for de Boez first goal was absolute class, he out-jumped his man and still directed a great header away from Mickey D. I think Crowe has more of an aerial threat which makes him a better all round striker imo. They are both in the top 5/6 players in the league and are definitly the two best strikers. Jason Byrne will do well with Shels this season so he could be considered as good at the end of this season. The jury is still out on him imo.

pete
25/04/2003, 1:10 PM
Only the most biased could say O'Flynn better than Crowe.

Crowe is better in the air & better positional sense. Thena again he plays for Bohs so will get more chances.

O'Flynn is still only 20 & had one of the most impressive 1st seasons seen for many years. Crowe tokk a couple of years to get settled at Bohs.

If O'Flynn continues this season like last year it may be hard for city to hold onto him.

Peadar
25/04/2003, 5:42 PM
Originally posted by Pablo Escobar
I cannot see how Byrne is better than him

I hope you wont have to eat those words.
Byrne is something special.
He has the skill to match his confidence.
Crowe is a hard worker and is strong so he's not pushed off the ball easily.

Pablo Escobar
25/04/2003, 7:06 PM
I'm not biased!
I just can't see how people are saying that Byrne is better than O'Flynn based on expectation! He's never had as good a season as O'Flynn had last year!
Crowe, I feel, is good but over-rated! He's not as quick as O'Flynn, he's not as good a finisher and he plays with better players!

A face
25/04/2003, 7:21 PM
He's not as quick as O'Flynn, he's not as good a finisher and he plays with better players!

I like your reasoning Pablo, cant disagree with any of that.

UCD_4_Life
25/04/2003, 8:19 PM
I'm not biased!
I just can't see how people are saying that Byrne is better than O'Flynn based on expectation! He's never had as good a season as O'Flynn had last year!
Crowe, I feel, is good but over-rated! He's not as quick as O'Flynn, he's not as good a finisher and he plays with better players!

In fairness though Byrne missed at least ten games and still got 12 goals with a team that was far, far worse that Cork City. He would've had to make an awful lot of chances for himself. John O'Flynn only got 14. Even if they had of played say 25 each it would still be a better achievement for Byrne on 12 considering who he played for.

I won't get into the Crowe argument but how anyone can question that he's the best striker in the league is beyond me. Remember that last season he scored 18 goals from roughly 22 or 23 starts (in the league).

Pablo Escobar
26/04/2003, 11:55 PM
O'Flynn got 20 or 21 goals last season! 15 or 16 in the league and 5 in the cup!

Counting Crow
27/04/2003, 11:15 AM
6 goals in 4 games ..... so far.

JO'F is class. This is not taking anything away from the other two however. I think anyone in their right mind would have Crowe and/or Byrne in their side.

But, hey, we're top of the League with the top scorer in the country leading the side.
Even our second striker has more goals than Crowe and Byrne at the moment ( g'wan Georgie boy ).

9 goals from our front two speaks fro itself. The Dubs can argue all they want but the stats don't lie.

COME ON CITY.

UCD_4_Life
27/04/2003, 4:26 PM
Originally posted by Counting Crow
6 goals in 4 games ..... so far.

JO'F is class. This is not taking anything away from the other two however. I think anyone in their right mind would have Crowe and/or Byrne in their side.

But, hey, we're top of the League with the top scorer in the country leading the side.
Even our second striker has more goals than Crowe and Byrne at the moment ( g'wan Georgie boy ).

9 goals from our front two speaks fro itself. The Dubs can argue all they want but the stats don't lie.

COME ON CITY.

At this stage of the season the stats do lie.

If Cork are still doing it after 20 or 25 games then you can say things like this.

Remember 2001/02 in England? Newly promoted Bolton got 10 points from their first three games and fell away, Aston Villa are also notorious for starting well and fading.

There hasn't been a game this season that Jason Byrne hasn't scored in. While Crowe hasn't started brilliantly you should remember that form is only temporary.

At the end of the day it's like comparing Henry and van Nistelrooy or Raul and Tristan etc. It's all really a matter of opinion. Just because one has a great season one year and one has average doesn't make one better than the other. Crowe is certainly the most complete forward in the league (I was about to say that even the most biased Cork fan couldn't argue that although I'm sure you will) but Byrne and O'Flynn may have more potential. Remember the age difference between the three.

For all we know O'Flynn mightn't score for 10 or 11 games while Crowe scores 8 in 10 or something like that. All strikers have bad patches in a season and O'Flynn and Byrne will have theirs eventually.

Colm
27/04/2003, 5:01 PM
Originally posted by UCD_4_Life
Newly promoted Bolton got 10 points from their first three games and fell away

Jeez getting 10 points from a possible 9 is very good going!;)

UCD_4_Life
27/04/2003, 5:49 PM
Originally posted by Colm
Jeez getting 10 points from a possible 9 is very good going!;)

I mean four of course. :D

Pablo Escobar
27/04/2003, 6:50 PM
Oh yeah! I get it now!
When you say 3, you actually mean 4!

UCD_4_Life
27/04/2003, 7:00 PM
Oh yeah! I get it now!
When you say 3, you actually mean 4!

Exactly. And vice versa.

I'm actually UCD_3_Life...

cfcgirl
27/04/2003, 10:54 PM
trust me headed off on holidays came home well ago id say i missed a cracker.

Xlex
28/04/2003, 9:54 AM
John O had a great night in Longford... he was excently complimented by O'Callaghan... a great partnership...

Have a look at Flansiro.net...

Shed End John
28/04/2003, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by pete
Only the most biased could say O'Flynn better than Crowe.

Let's wait 'til the end of the season on that one. Currently, though, JOF is 6-2 up on Crowe in terms of League goals scored after 4 games. Nothing major to start Crowe-ing (:D :D ) about, but, a good start nonetheless. One which if he builds on it WILL see him top the scoring charts at the end of the season.

UCD_4_Life
28/04/2003, 6:31 PM
Originally posted by Conor74
4 points from the first three games was hardly a great start, surely...

Er, I said they got ten from three originally...

thecorner
28/04/2003, 8:52 PM
altogethor now
:D :D :D :D :D at u.c.d 4 life for being so thick

UCD_4_Life
28/04/2003, 8:57 PM
Originally posted by thecorner
altogethor now
:D :D :D :D :D at u.c.d 4 life for being so thick

Not really, I've been on a diet lately.