PDA

View Full Version : IL football on sky!

Pages : [1] 2

SolitudeRed
24/09/2007, 12:43 PM
Just to let you all know that Cliftonville v Linfield is on live tonight on Sky 1 if anyones interested! kick off is at 7.45pm. should be a good match, no doubt the blues will be looking for revenge after we beat them at windsor park last week.

Now all it remains for me to do is find a bar in Galway that is showing this match!:confused:

feo123
24/09/2007, 9:13 PM
was it called off?

waide
24/09/2007, 9:16 PM
Watched the match on sky sport thought it was a superb ad for il football2-2fair result good turn out of cliftonville fans atmosphere was good.

Stevo Da Gull
24/09/2007, 11:00 PM
Watched the match on sky sport thought it was a superb ad for il football2-2fair result good turn out of cliftonville fans atmosphere was good.

Yip it was great stuff alright. Really enjoyable game, atmosphere and coverage. Good ad for the game of football in general

dcfcsteve
24/09/2007, 11:22 PM
Good coverage from Sky, a good crowd and not a bad game. A good advert for the IL overall - better than most EL games I've seen televised this season.

Solitude made me realise what it is that makes even our better grounds look poor on TV. That big steep stand they have at Solitude looks great on TV - particularly when it's draped in banners. Makes it look like a proper big stadium, which EL grounds almost nerver do.

What was the crowd anyways ?

BTW - I loved the way the Sky build-up showed the sign on the stadium wall saying 'no flags that aren't in club colours'. Followed shortly by a view full of tricolours and Union flags. Pointless having such a policy if you don't have the intention of enforcing it....

Graemerz
25/09/2007, 8:18 AM
Good coverage from Sky, a good crowd and not a bad game. A good advert for the IL overall - better than most EL games I've seen televised this season.

Solitude made me realise what it is that makes even our better grounds look poor on TV. That big steep stand they have at Solitude looks great on TV - particularly when it's draped in banners. Makes it look like a proper big stadium, which EL grounds almost nerver do.

BTW - I loved the way the Sky build-up showed the sign on the stadium wall saying 'no flags that aren't in club colours'. Followed shortly by a view full of tricolours and Union flags. Pointless having such a policy if you don't have the intention of enforcing it....

Its the colours of Linfield. :rolleyes:

Steve Bruce
25/09/2007, 8:35 AM

Steve do you think on last nights showing that Cliftonville could maybe shock a few teams in the Setanta?

They play like that in most games they play against Linfield and in recent times they have had the more favourable results.

Sniffer
25/09/2007, 10:03 AM
I thought it was enjoyable game standard may not have been the best but it was exciting stuff. What i liked about Sky is the way they presented the coverage i got the feeling that it was a big game and they were happy to broadcast it. Not like some of the coverage you get here where the TV companies give the impression they are do the league a favour by being there.

It's called hype and Sky are the Emperors; not that our leagues couldn't do with a bit of it.

dcfcsteve
25/09/2007, 10:05 AM
Its the colours of Linfield. :rolleyes:

I thought from the Ulster flags that they played in the same colours as Derry City....... :rolleyes:

(doubtless you'll aim to justify it by claiming that red and white is 2/3rds of their colours...:o)

I'm sure if Linfield hypothetically changed kit colour overnight, all the political emblems would disappear....

dcfcsteve
25/09/2007, 10:08 AM
Steve do you think on last nights showing that Cliftonville could maybe shock a few teams in the Setanta?

I can't say to be honest Steve.

I was playing Extreme Multi-tasking last night - channel-hopping between that and the Bohs-Pats game, whilst also hosting a meeting at my house in the room next door (in-view of the television).......! :D

I therefore didn't get more than an overview of the game.

pete
25/09/2007, 10:12 AM
Did watch much of it to be honest as Pats v Bohs on TG4 was a better game.

OwlsFan
25/09/2007, 10:27 AM

With half one side all parked cars on display :eek:. Thought it looked amateurish. Also the name Solitude: depressing name if there ever was one.

Steve Bruce
25/09/2007, 11:18 AM
Cliftonville where know as the amatuars because up until a couple of decades ago they where amataur

JC_GUFC
25/09/2007, 11:50 AM
I thought Sky presented it very well and the game did nothing to harm the image of the Irish League.

The preview with the history of the league was very well put together. They said the next live game is the Boxing Day derby - I'm looking forward to it.

OwlsFan
25/09/2007, 12:13 PM
Cliftonville where know as the amatuars because up until a couple of decades ago they where amataur

Indeed they were along with Bohs down south.

Graemerz
25/09/2007, 12:34 PM
I thought Sky presented it very well and the game did nothing to harm the image of the Irish League.

The preview with the history of the league was very well put together. They said the next live game is the Boxing Day derby - I'm looking forward to it.

Theyll probably move the Boxing day derby to a 12 noon kick off, which will probably ruin the occasion a bit. :(

dcfcsteve
25/09/2007, 3:51 PM
With half one side all parked cars on display :eek:. Thought it looked amateurish. Also the name Solitude: depressing name if there ever was one.

I was only talking about the big stand though. It looked really good on TV with all the flags draped over it. We don't have anything of a similar 'double-deck' nature in the EL (bar the tiny Glentoran stand at the Brandywell that never has any banners on it anyway).

EalingGreen
25/09/2007, 6:03 PM
I thought from the Ulster flags that they played in the same colours as Derry City.......

(doubtless you'll aim to justify it by claiming that red and white is 2/3rds of their colours...:o)

I'm sure if Linfield hypothetically changed kit colour overnight, all the political emblems would disappear....

I'm certainly no Linfield fan (perish the thought) and I don't approve of unnecessary political references in football, but without carrying out some sort of geometric study, the overwhelming impression of the Linfield support was that they were wearing their club colours - convenient, or otherwise - as this photo demonstrates:

http://www.southstandsays.co.uk/gallery/albums/userpics/10002/q51.jpg

There is hardly an NI flag to be seen. Whereas, a significant number of the Cliftonville banners were Irish Tricolours - a stark contrast to their club colours. Still, it made me laugh when they were singing about "hating the Orange *******s" etc, when theirs was the only orange on display anywhere! :)

Still, overall a good evening for both teams and the Carnegie Irish League. :ball:

Stevo Da Gull
25/09/2007, 7:27 PM
Did watch much of it to be honest as Pats v Bohs on TG4 was a better game.

Well I did'nt watch much of Pats v Bohs because I thought the Cliftonville v Linfield game was better.
We'll have to gree to disagree on this one me thinks:D

SolitudeRed
25/09/2007, 8:08 PM
Well hope you enjoyed the show thought it was a good advert for the IL and I'm happy that our good record against the Blues remains intacct! Thought that Solitude looked well attendance was roughly 2500-3000 and while there was some idiotic chanting from a minority in both sets of supporters the majority of them were well behaved.

This bodes well for the coming season and hopefully we can make an impact in the setanta cup as well!

As for the flags issue don't really like to see any political flags at a match myself but at the end of the day its part of society up North and I can't see that changing for a while yet and as dcfcsteve says it wouldn't matter what colour Linfield played in you would no doubt still see Union flags at there matches! Ps I noticed two NI flags in the Linfield end anyways.

SolitudeRed
25/09/2007, 8:19 PM

Aye you forgot to mention the meatwagons parked there too! well thought Solitude looked well and I'm sure it is better than some grounds in the EL and we're supposed to be building a new stand behind one of the Goals sometime soon.

dcfcsteve
26/09/2007, 12:04 AM
I'm certainly no Linfield fan (perish the thought) and I don't approve of unnecessary political references in football, but without carrying out some sort of geometric study, the overwhelming impression of the Linfield support was that they were wearing their club colours - convenient, or otherwise - as this photo demonstrates:

http://www.southstandsays.co.uk/gallery/albums/userpics/10002/q51.jpg

There is hardly an NI flag to be seen. Whereas, a significant number of the Cliftonville banners were Irish Tricolours - a stark contrast to their club colours. Still, it made me laugh when they were singing about "hating the Orange *******s" etc, when theirs was the only orange on display anywhere! :)

Still, overall a good evening for both teams and the Carnegie Irish League. :ball:

Neither side should use political flags/emblems - I don't draw distinction between either team.

What is the point in having signs at Solitude expressing a policy that is clearly not enforced ? :confused: Farcical.....

BleusAvantTout
26/09/2007, 6:34 AM
while there was some idiotic chanting from a minority in both sets of supporters the majority of them were well behaved.

I'm afraid you must have selected deafness. :( Linfield fans sung/chanted nothing of a sectarian nature, unless "Rule Britannia" is classed as "dodgy"! I'm glad a section of your fans really hate "orange *******s", feel that David Jeffrey is a sad "orange *******" and Amhrán na bhFiann is appropriate to be introduced for the Sky audience. When our fans misbehave, I will be very critical, but when they are well behaved, I will not tolerate a tissue of lies!!! :mad:

pete
26/09/2007, 10:13 AM
Linfield fans sung/chanted nothing of a sectarian nature, unless "Rule Britannia" is classed as "dodgy"!

Apparently that is a sectarian song.

When Linfield sang that in the Setanta Cup I was not offended though as I found it funny as in - where is your Empire now? :o

OneRedArmy
26/09/2007, 11:22 AM
I'm afraid you must have selected deafness. :( Linfield fans sung/chanted nothing of a sectarian nature, unless "Rule Britannia" is classed as "dodgy"! I'm glad a section of your fans really hate "orange *******s", feel that David Jeffrey is a sad "orange *******" and Amhrán na bhFiann is appropriate to be introduced for the Sky audience. When our fans misbehave, I will be very critical, but when they are well behaved, I will not tolerate a tissue of lies!!! :mad:So Rule Britannia is okay and Amhrán na bhFiann isn't............sweet jesus.

Both have nothing to do with either club and should be banned. Suggest everyone joins in in a hearty rendition of Irelands Call, followed by Van the Man singing Days like This......

NY Hoop
26/09/2007, 11:22 AM
Neither side should use political flags/emblems - I don't draw distinction between either team.

What is the point in having signs at Solitude expressing a policy that is clearly not enforced ? :confused: Farcical.....

I wouldnt lose sleep over it. Had to smile when I saw the sign but didnt have any problems hanging a tricolour in the cage!

Flags add much needed colour to grounds and no flag should be banned IMO. Dont know why people are getting worked up over singing. Who cares what fans sing? In any derby the world over there are going to be songs sung that will annoy the opposition. That is the idea.

Very enjoyable occasion monday night.

KOH

Schumi
26/09/2007, 12:03 PM
Linfield fans sung/chanted nothing of a sectarian nature, unless "Rule Britannia" is classed as "dodgy"! I'm glad a section of your fans... feel that... Amhrán na bhFiann is appropriate to be introduced for the Sky audience. This makes no sense at all. If you feel that Rule Britannia is OK to sing (and I'd agree), how can you think that Amhrán na bhFiann isn't?

Graemerz
26/09/2007, 12:26 PM
I wouldnt lose sleep over it. Had to smile when I saw the sign but didnt have any problems hanging a tricolour in the cage!

Flags add much needed colour to grounds and no flag should be banned IMO. Dont know why people are getting worked up over singing. Who cares what fans sing? In any derby the world over there are going to be songs sung that will annoy the opposition. That is the idea.

KOH

I would agree with you, this once. However the UEFA 10 Point Plan certainly wouldn't.

gspain
26/09/2007, 12:45 PM

KOH

So would you approve of a Swastika?

NY Hoop
26/09/2007, 1:27 PM
So would you approve of a Swastika?

Obviously. Havent you heard all Rovers fans are nazis?!!

BTW would anyone have a spare programme? Couldnt get any monday.

KOH

Steve Bruce
26/09/2007, 2:16 PM
This makes no sense at all. If you feel that Rule Britannia is OK to sing (and I'd agree), how can you think that Amhrán na bhFiann isn't?

What is that amhran song ?

Schumi
26/09/2007, 2:20 PM
What is that amhran song ?That song they used to sing before the rugby matches.

SolitudeRed
26/09/2007, 3:07 PM
I'm afraid you must have selected deafness. :( Linfield fans sung/chanted nothing of a sectarian nature, unless "Rule Britannia" is classed as "dodgy"! I'm glad a section of your fans really hate "orange *******s", feel that David Jeffrey is a sad "orange *******" and Amhrán na bhFiann is appropriate to be introduced for the Sky audience. When our fans misbehave, I will be very critical, but when they are well behaved, I will not tolerate a tissue of lies!!! :mad:

Well I wasn't at the match myself but my brother and his mate were and they told me that some of the Blues fans were singing about the Glentoran being Fenian Bs at one stage. But at the end of the day yes there was probably more of such chanting from the Reds end and considering that this was a big home game for us you would have to expect that a lot of blow in so called 'fans' would turn up and sing these sort of tunes! While the Linfield fans who go to Solitude are heavily vetted to prevent most of these type muppets getting to the game!

As for the flags thing The Assembly should bring in legislation banning political flags from games although this has been done in Scotland but doesn't really seem to have eradicated sectarianism in football over there!

SolitudeRed
26/09/2007, 3:10 PM
Obviously. Havent you heard all Rovers fans are nazis?!!

BTW would anyone have a spare programme? Couldnt get any monday.

KOH

Told my Brother to get me one but he forgot and I'm pretty sure that they are all sold out now:mad:

Were there many Rovers fans up at Solitude for the game then?

NY Hoop
26/09/2007, 3:58 PM
Told my Brother to get me one but he forgot and I'm pretty sure that they are all sold out now:mad:

Were there many Rovers fans up at Solitude for the game then?

About 6 with 3 flags.

KOH

BleusAvantTout
26/09/2007, 4:47 PM
So Rule Britannia is okay and Amhrán na bhFiann isn't............sweet jesus.

Both have nothing to do with either club and should be banned. Suggest everyone joins in in a hearty rendition of Irelands Call, followed by Van the Man singing Days like This......

You may not be aware but throughout the not so recent history of this fixture both GSTQ & Amhrán na bhFiann have been used by each side to wind up the other. This, in my opinion, degrades both anthems. I don't think the singing of "Rule Britannia" is appropriate at a football match. It is more suited to the jingoistic "last night at the proms"!

Ireland's Call is not, AFAIK, popular at present within the unionist population. A fact that stems to GSTQ not been played at the recent Ireland game at Ravenhill. I am not authority on egg chasing and I have no interest in it whatsoever. I'm just going by what I heard on phone-ins up here!!

The behaviour of both sets of fans on Monday night was light years ahead of what this fixture would have attracted in the late 70s/early 80s. For that both clubs and their fans should be commended.

OneRedArmy
26/09/2007, 5:23 PM
Ireland's Call is not, AFAIK, popular at present within the unionist population.
That makes it in a small minority of things the whole island can agree on.

I think you missed the point though, Rule Britannia and Amhrán na bhFiann are both sung to reinforce the nationality of each clubs fans.

Personally, I'd prefer not to have to ban any of this kind of stuff. The only true solution will be when the meatheads that follow every club (some more than others) feel they don't have to ram their nationality down everyone elses throat at a football match.

Point taken though that huge progress has been made from 20-30 years ago.

Graemerz
26/09/2007, 6:08 PM
People here are asking for the Union Jack to be banned from Irish League matches... Why should the national flag be banned in its country?

Sniffer
26/09/2007, 6:20 PM
The whole night seemed to be a resounding success in relative terms for IPL football - there will always be mavericks at a game, if there weren't we wouldn't need security. While I don't doubt that there were negative aspects, the important thing is that the whole occasion was well received. BTW, a few words on it here (http://walkthechalk.blogspot.com/).

OneRedArmy
26/09/2007, 6:21 PM
People here are asking for the Union Jack to be banned from Irish League matches... Why should the national flag be banned in its country?Whats your nationality got to do with a domestic football match?

PS If you are going to retort with something along the lines of "its a free world....you should be able to do whatever you want" that doesn't answer my question.

dancinpants
26/09/2007, 7:10 PM
People here are asking for the Union Jack to be banned from Irish League matches... Why should the national flag be banned in its country?

But is the butchers apron a national flag? :confused: The Scottish don't use it as a national flag, nor do the Welsh....don't even think the English use it as a national flag? If its a national flag, what do you call that other flag with the red hand on it? Are you saying that the 6 counties, Scotland, Wales and England are one nation? Bizarre. :confused:

Poor Student
26/09/2007, 7:17 PM
Stick to the football or it's getting locked, simple as.

waide
26/09/2007, 9:16 PM
Stick to the football or it's getting locked, simple as.

Good man.

dcfcsteve
26/09/2007, 9:36 PM
But is the butchers apron a national flag? :confused: The Scottish don't use it as a national flag, nor do the Welsh....don't even think the English use it as a national flag? If its a national flag, what do you call that other flag with the red hand on it? Are you saying that the 6 counties, Scotland, Wales and England are one nation? Bizarre. :confused:

Poor attempt at WUMming DP...

My big bug-bear here is that Cliftonville have a rule clearly on display in their ground regarding flags and emblems, that they seem to have zero real interest in enforcing. :confused:

That's their choice to make - but just take the sign down and stop living a lie if it isn't going to be enforced.

NY Hoop
27/09/2007, 9:36 AM
Poor attempt at WUMming DP...

My big bug-bear here is that Cliftonville have a rule clearly on display in their ground regarding flags and emblems, that they seem to have zero real interest in enforcing. :confused:

That's their choice to make - but just take the sign down and stop living a lie if it isn't going to be enforced.

Your whole life is a bug-bear. Get over it. There are plenty of no litter signs down here. Do you honestly think they are enforced?

Sniffer I dont know why anyone would want to listen to an IL/EL game with an english commentator.

KOH

Graemerz
27/09/2007, 11:42 AM
Whats your nationality got to do with a domestic football match?

PS If you are going to retort with something along the lines of "its a free world....you should be able to do whatever you want" that doesn't answer my question.

No matter how much the English, Welsh or Scottish use the Union flag there is no escaping they are part of the United Kingdom as much as we are. I know lots of clubs in England have the St Georges cross on their banners and I know Scottish clubs use the Scottish flag on their banners, what has their nationality got to do with their club? Very little really but its still there and no one should have a problem with it. Hell, both Shelbourne and Drogheda brought tri-colours to Windsor, are we bothered by it? Going back to the colours thing, it so happens the Union flag contains the same colours Linfield play in, there is also Dutch, French, Serbian and Luxembourg flags on display. Coleraine have an Israeli flag, why aren’t these deemed wrong?

OneRedArmy
27/09/2007, 12:52 PM
No matter how much the English, Welsh or Scottish use the Union flag there is no escaping they are part of the United Kingdom as much as we are. I know lots of clubs in England have the St Georges cross on their banners and I know Scottish clubs use the Scottish flag on their banners, what has their nationality got to do with their club? Very little really but its still there and no one should have a problem with it. Hell, both Shelbourne and Drogheda brought tri-colours to Windsor, are we bothered by it? Going back to the colours thing, it so happens the Union flag contains the same colours Linfield play in, there is also Dutch, French, Serbian and Luxembourg flags on display. Coleraine have an Israeli flag, why aren’t these deemed wrong?You really don't get it.

They all have no place at a domestic football match.

By all means disagree, but the fact that you can't even understand my point of view is telling.

Graemerz
27/09/2007, 1:13 PM
Why when the colours on display are the same colours as Linfield?

Graemerz
27/09/2007, 2:27 PM
Good thing we don't have a murdering commie f**kbag on our banners, eh.... ;)

Steve Bruce
27/09/2007, 3:28 PM
On a better note about this match.

Apparently their was in excess of half a million watching at home. A great result and apparently sky are very happy with this number.

Onwards and upwards.