PDA

View Full Version : Fai cup final moved

Pages : [1] 2

Tis-smeee
22/09/2007, 1:34 PM
To the 2nd of December which means that there will be 22 days between the end of the season Cup final, should be confirmed next week according to the star today pg74

All i can say is what a fuc king disgrace

Philly
22/09/2007, 2:02 PM
That really is nuts. I'm guessing it's something to do with RDS availability?

They should have just had the thing in Dalymount or Tolka or something. Turners Cross is probably a better ground than the RDS. A bit of a joke...

harpstilidie
22/09/2007, 3:02 PM
Even if they had it on the saturday. Like does it have to be a sunday??

Kildare Lad
23/09/2007, 9:58 PM
Where did you hear this?

sligoman
23/09/2007, 10:01 PM
Where did you hear this?
To the 2nd of December which means that there will be 22 days between the end of the season Cup final, should be confirmed next week according to the star today pg74

All i can say is what a fuc king disgrace.....

A face
23/09/2007, 11:04 PM
This crowd are a joke. What in gods name are they doing? 22 days gap between the end of the league and their Cup Final? Will they be paying the players during this 22 day void? Will they be providing financial assistance to clubs during this period for off the pitch staff?

Have they honestly looked at other venues to avoid this happening?

- Dalymount
- Tolka
- Turners Cross
- Richmond

What couldn't they pick one of those venues instead?

They saw fit to leave a Quarter Final game in their own FAI Cup competition go ahead in RSC in Waterford with a capacity of 1200 which turned out to be a disaster. And then they go and do this? We seriously are dealing with a bunch of muppets of the highest order here.

They seriously couldn't organise a píss in a brewery .... Have things really gotten any better?

Jerry The Saint
23/09/2007, 11:20 PM
They seriously couldn't organise a píss in a brewery ....

It's not as easy as you might think. I tried this myself and the Guinness people were not at all helpful.

Mr A
24/09/2007, 11:01 AM
Could the reason for this be that it is possible that Bohs could be in both the cup final and the Setanta Cup playoffs against the D1 winners if they win the league cup?

Partizan
24/09/2007, 11:03 AM
They saw fit to leave a Quarter Final game in their own FAI Cup competition go ahead in RSC in Waterford with a capacity of 1200 which turned out to be a disaster.

It nearly did turn out to be a disaster for ye. Good job the linesman saved your bacon and you live to fight another day.

dcfcsteve
24/09/2007, 11:11 AM
Could the reason for this be that it is possible that Bohs could be in both the cup final and the Setanta Cup playoffs against the D1 winners if they win the league cup?

:confused:

What difference would that make ?

Mr A
24/09/2007, 11:26 AM
Maybe if they were putting those matches a week apart then that would explain the big gap. Probably not mind you.

stann
24/09/2007, 12:55 PM
They saw fit to leave a Quarter Final game in their own FAI Cup competition go ahead in RSC in Waterford with a capacity of 1200 which turned out to be a disaster.

How was it a disaster?? That'd be considered WUMming from other quarters.
Your recent bout of anti-Waterford whingeing is really getting tiresome now. Get a grip, you're a mod FFS.

pete
24/09/2007, 1:25 PM
It was bad enough having the FAI Cup 2 weeks after the league ends but 3 is ridiculous.

The FAI Cup Final should be held the weekend after the League season end. Hold the Setanta Playoff the following Wednesday.

superfrank
24/09/2007, 1:28 PM
And even with the reduced capacity the stadium wasn't full. :rolleyes:

micls
24/09/2007, 3:18 PM
And even with the reduced capacity the stadium wasn't full. :rolleyes:

That was the problem...but thats for another thread.

It's a joke really. Depending on the semi draw- it could be a very small crowd at the final e.g. if we manage to make it through and draw winner of Bohs/Pats so why not just play it at one of the grounds mentioned above.

I'd have it at the cross if we're not involved-unless clubs dont wanna travel that far, or in Tolka/Dalymount otherwise

superfrank
24/09/2007, 3:25 PM
Moving it to Cork, although a better stadium, will severely impact the attendance. Dublin is a nodal city, all routes go there.

It'd be very hard for, say, Longford fans to get down there by public transport as compared to Dublin.

And if the final were Bohs/Pats vs. UCD, it'd be pointless to have it outside Dublin without severely damaging the attendance.

Imo, Dalymount, Tolka or Richmond are viable. Though they may want to avoid any home advantage as such.

micls
24/09/2007, 3:30 PM
Moving it to Cork, although a better stadium, will severely impact the attendance. Dublin is a nodal city, all routes go there.

It'd be very hard for, say, Longford fans to get down there by public transport as compared to Dublin.

And if the final were Bohs/Pats vs. UCD, it'd be pointless to have it outside Dublin without severely damaging the attendance.

Imo, Dalymount, Tolka or Richmond are viable. Though they may want to avoid any home advantage as such.

If it kept the game a week after the end of the season as opposed to three I think it would even out. Once the league stops people tend to go into offseason mode, they have other things they do etc.

it'l be hard to get the more casual supporters back out 3 weeks later.

but either of the 3 you named would do too. I cant see it being a bumper attendance. Only chance is maybe if its us v Bohs/Pats

superfrank
24/09/2007, 3:35 PM
Well c. 15k for Waterford and Longford a few years ago is not bad considering the distances and that they are traditionally "smaller" clubs. 15k is five times the highest attendance any of those clubs might have in a season. That's not too bad.

You never know how many would turn up for any given pairing. Sure there was 30k, iirc, at our final against St. Francis in 1990!!

micls
24/09/2007, 3:39 PM
Well c. 15k for Waterford and Longford a few years ago is not bad considering the distances and that they are traditionally "smaller" clubs. 15k is five times the highest attendance any of those clubs might have in a season. That's not too bad.

You never know how many would turn up for any given pairing. Sure there was 30k, iirc, at our final against St. Francis in 1990!!

I suppose. How many went to Derry vs Pats last year?

superfrank
24/09/2007, 3:40 PM
I can't remember the exact figure but I was there and there were certainly more Derry fans then Pats ones.

DmanDmythDledge
24/09/2007, 3:42 PM

Schumi
24/09/2007, 3:45 PM
c. 15k for Waterford and Longford a few years ago Really? I was there and I'd be surprised if there was 10k at it.

superfrank
24/09/2007, 3:46 PM
Really? I was there and I'd be surprised if there was 10k at it.
The Irish Times gave the figure at 14,???. I remember the 14k anyway.

Kildare Lad
24/09/2007, 3:48 PM
And how much does the RDS hold?

pete
24/09/2007, 3:50 PM
And how much does the RDS hold?

Maybe 12-15k although not sure what the capacity after redevelopment work. 15k would be plenty for any of the teams left. Tolka is a dump but probably best option if the RDS not available as most combinations of teams would struggle to fill it.

dcfcsteve
24/09/2007, 4:19 PM
Really? I was there and I'd be surprised if there was 10k at it.

Official attendnace was listed as 10,000. But those were the days before the FAI started going 'oh alright then...' and giving proper and accurate attendance figures.

Was a very poor crowd though. Not only were the upper tiers of Lansdowne closed off, but they also sectioned off the back of the the lower tiers to make the crowd sit to the front and have the place look busier.....! :eek:

That crowd nearly killed the concept of finals at Lansdowne. Luckily Cork-Drogs made up for it the following year.

kdjaC
24/09/2007, 4:28 PM
RDS is looking good, will post up a pic in a few of how it looks now.

kdjac

stann
24/09/2007, 5:13 PM
Was a very poor crowd though. Not only were the upper tiers of Lansdowne closed off, but they also sectioned off the back of the the lower tiers to make the crowd sit to the front and have the place look busier.....! :eek:

That crowd nearly killed the concept of finals at Lansdowne. Luckily Cork-Drogs made up for it the following year.

We had an appalling turnout up at it, 3000 tops. Not our finest hour as a county. :o
Still in fairness there was an Arsenal-Man U game on the box the same day. :mad:
(sarcastic rage there, a difficult one to pull off)

pineapple stu
24/09/2007, 5:30 PM
I thought I heard a figure of about 7500 for that Longford-Waterford game?

There's other points about the Cup Final though. Like did the FAI not have the RDS booked? Why have they now been turfed out? Leinster (http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/members/index.asp?locID=771&docID=-1) aren't playing. There's nothing in particular on the RDS website (http://www.rds.ie/home/eventfinder.aspx#current).

Also, what if players have booked holidays? Are we going to have an FAI Cup Final where one team is missing their best player because of a holiday booked before this (relatively short notice) change?

DmanDmythDledge
24/09/2007, 5:36 PM
Also, what if players have booked holidays? Are we going to have an FAI Cup Final where one team is missing their best player because of a holiday booked before this (relatively short notice) change?
Like a certain UCD player (http://foot.ie/showpost.php?p=773059&postcount=8)...

kdjaC
24/09/2007, 5:39 PM
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1231/1433391821_7d05d95a3a.jpg
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1213/1433391593_a18aee6f85.jpg
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1235/1434265712_ef3691ae10.jpg

from pats forum.

kdjac

Aaron
24/09/2007, 6:03 PM
I just hope the weather isnt the same as last year for thos attending. Also AFAIK there was around 12,000 down from Derry for the final

kdjaC
24/09/2007, 6:09 PM
The stand along the pitch will have a roof.

kdjac

joeSoap
24/09/2007, 6:45 PM
If Cork City and Bohemians are kept apart and make the final then there is no option but to play it in the RDS as there would be a crowd of around 15-20,000 attending. Tolka, Dalymount, Richmond, anywhere else wouldn't simply do. I don't see what the big deal is.

A face
24/09/2007, 7:49 PM
How was it a disaster?? That'd be considered WUMming from other quarters.
Your recent bout of anti-Waterford whingeing is really getting tiresome now. Get a grip, you're a mod FFS.

Stann, come off it man. Its not Anti-Waterford. Would you have singled me of as being Anti Waterford before that post? I'm serious, the organisation going into that game was brutal, it was a quarter final and if it were possible you would have had 2000 at that game. It was a disaster and i'm not having a dig at you lot here.

Schumi
24/09/2007, 7:53 PM
But what did you expect to be done? And by whom?

Kildare Lad
24/09/2007, 8:06 PM
Croke Park anyone?:p

michaelguineys
24/09/2007, 8:24 PM
Official attendnace was listed as 10,000. But those were the days before the FAI started going 'oh alright then...' and giving proper and accurate attendance figures.

Ya great attendance that year. 25,000 apparently
Heard it was 17,000 city supporters and 8000 drogs.
Not sure how accurate that was but there was a great crowd for city considering the distance.
Just a pity about the result!!

Schumi
24/09/2007, 8:38 PM
Heard it was 17,000 city supporters and 8000 drogs.
I thought it was about even myself, can't imagine it was close to 2:1 Cork fans.

michaelguineys
24/09/2007, 8:48 PM
No there was definitely more city fans there alright, id say maybe more 15,000 / 10,000 though really.

DmanDmythDledge
24/09/2007, 8:51 PM
For what it's worth the 18th November is mentioned here (http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/features/elfshane6.html)...

michaelguineys
24/09/2007, 8:53 PM
For what it's worth the 18th November is mentioned here (http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/features/elfshane6.html)...

Is that not the final weekend of the league?

DmanDmythDledge
24/09/2007, 8:56 PM
Is that not the final weekend of the league?
No, that's the week before. Nevertheless I'd say your man is just foolishly presuming that things would be done right.

pineapple stu
24/09/2007, 8:56 PM
No, that's the 11th

stann
24/09/2007, 9:31 PM
Stann, come off it man. Its not Anti-Waterford. Would you have singled me of as being Anti Waterford before that post? I'm serious, the organisation going into that game was brutal, it was a quarter final and if it were possible you would have had 2000 at that game. It was a disaster and i'm not having a dig at you lot here.

No I wouldn't, that's why I said recent, and probably why it stood out for me more. You did have a dig on the Bohs shirts issue too though remember.
'Disaster' is a way over the top word and what other way could we look at it only having a dig?
We would never have had 2000 at the match.
Building works, the timing of which was beyond the club's control bear in mind, and the H&S guy, put a cap of 1240 on proceedings. That put everyone into a panic about getting tickets, an unnecessary panic as it turned out, but not without just cause. We had 3000 against ye first match of the season, and 1500-odd more recently.
Waterford were forced to make a best guess at home attendance, gave ye what seemed to be a generous allocation based on percentages, more when the local take-up started to look slow, and more again when it became apparent that it was pathetic. What more did you want the club to do?
This last tranche was largely returned, fair enough for some it might have been too late, but not for the vast numbers of Cork fans you seem to be suggesting would have attended with more notice. For the attendance to have been anywhere near 2000 at least half the crowd would have had to be Cork fans (being generous to our sunshiners) and are you really telling me that over 600 of them said, 'nah, it's too late now, I'm not going'?
The home support was p!ss-poor, but that's not a 'disaster', it's just sad, and it's indicative of the way the last couple of seasons have gone. It's got nothing got to do with the organisation for this match.

A face
24/09/2007, 10:08 PM
For the attendance to have been anywhere near 2000 at least half the crowd would have had to be Cork fans (being generous to our sunshiners) and are you really telling me that over 600 of them said, 'nah, it's too late now, I'm not going'?

Thats what i am saying, if there was more notice then there would have been more Cork fans. Stann, there would easily have been more Cork fan there. I was speaking to guys on Friday would i know for definite would have travelled but the conversation ended with them saying theres no point if you're not even in with a chance of getting a ticket and its on telly anyway.

If City fans knew they would get tickets throughout the week then you would have moved the rest of them. Surely someone could have seen that.

stann
24/09/2007, 10:28 PM
If City fans knew they would get tickets throughout the week then you would have moved the rest of them. Surely someone could have seen that.

And if I knew Saturday's Lotto numbers last week I'd be a millionaire.
I know there would have been more Cork fans there had they had more notice, but not nearly enough to make the attendance 2000, and I'm maintaining not even enough to have brought it up to the 1240 that was in reality all it could have been no matter who wanted to go.
But hindsight is 20:20. Hanging on to some tickets in the week of the game to see if the home fans would take them up is hardly a 'disaster', or 'brutal organisation', is my point.

A face
24/09/2007, 11:03 PM
And if I knew Saturday's Lotto numbers last week I'd be a millionaire.
I know there would have been more Cork fans there had they had more notice, but not nearly enough to make the attendance 2000, and I'm maintaining not even enough to have brought it up to the 1240 that was in reality all it could have been no matter who wanted to go.
But hindsight is 20:20. Hanging on to some tickets in the week of the game to see if the home fans would take them up is hardly a 'disaster', or 'brutal organisation', is my point.

Alright, we'll agree to disagree.

michaelguineys
25/09/2007, 9:01 AM
Over on ccfcforum.com, one of the lads said he rang the FAI yesterday regarding the date of the final and nobody could give him an answer.
However the secretary told him that she thought it was (and i quote)
"sometime next May"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great to see incompetency runs right throughout the FAI

Danny
27/09/2007, 9:05 AM
from todays indo

WITH no final venue and no confirmed date, the FAI Ford Cup is in chaos.

FAI chiefs are hastily trying to defuse the extraordinary crisis which is threatening to hold the Blue Riband event of domestic soccer up for ridicule.

The FAI had targeted the RDS on November 25 for the final but no contracts have been signed with the Royal Dublin Society -- eight weeks before the due date.

When asked if the RDS was still available on November 25, a spokesperson said: "We are in negotiations with the FAI and cannot make any further comment."

Closed ranks

Likewise, the FAI has hastily closed its ranks on the final impasse.

"There is a bit of work to be done before we can confirm Cup final arrangements," said a spokesperson.

It's understood the FAI are stymied by the UB40 concert at the RDS on Monday, November 26.

They are now looking at staging the final a week later, on Sunday, December 2 with the RDS still the preferred choice of venue.

The use of Dalymount Park, or even Turner's Cross -- strong Ford connections there -- as alternative final venues is complicated as both Bohemians and Cork City are in the semi-finals.

Ironically, switching the final from November 25 could appease the sponsors, Ford, as it would mean avoiding a direct clash with the World Cup qualifying draw in Durban that day. But a week's delay would force the two finalists to stump up an extra week's wages for players and staff -- an issue which would not be taken lightly.

Possibility

Cork City joined Bohs, UCD and Longford Town in the last four of the competition after their replay defeat of Waterford United on Tuesday night, thus fuelling the mouth-watering possibility of a repeat of the 1992 final between City and Bohs, or Bohs v Longford in 2001.

While the draw for semi-finals has to be finalised both ties will take place on Friday, October 26 and Sunday, October 28, respectively. Both will be televised live on RTE.