PDA

View Full Version : Best manager in the Eircom League?

Pages : [1] 2

eamo1
21/09/2007, 1:40 PM
I was thinking about Pat Scully's achievement with Rovers and how good he's doing so it got me thinking is he the best manager in the whole league?
Other notable mentions might be Alan Matthews at Longford.Considering resources and points deductions hes had to deal with hes doing well,i know they are bottom but they still have a chance of surviving.
Harps are doing very well too.
Anyone else have other suggestions?

bellavistaman
21/09/2007, 1:41 PM
Why harps surely oput of first div hendo will get it, one of the lowest budgets, loads of off field toruble, and the smallest squad in EL.

passinginterest
21/09/2007, 1:44 PM
Given a choice I think I might take Paul Cooke from Sligo. His side seems to play good football and he's doing well with a squad that was stripped of it's best players by Sean Connor.

biscuit
21/09/2007, 1:47 PM
Given a choice I think I might take Paul Cooke from Sligo. His side seems to play good football and he's doing well with a squad that was stripped of it's best players by Sean Connor.

or so connor thought;)
cookey would be my pick, i dont think any of us rovers fans would swap him for anyone in the league

btid1
21/09/2007, 1:48 PM

Would tend to agree.

biscuit
21/09/2007, 1:51 PM
Would tend to agree.

STAY AWAYYYYY!! :D:D

Risteard
21/09/2007, 1:51 PM
Scully.
Although he's just starting out and time will tell, he's worked wonders in the past year and a half.

Raheny Red
21/09/2007, 1:59 PM
Scully.
Although he's just starting out and time will tell, he's worked wonders in the past year and a half.

Agreed. The cĂșnt is doing a fantastic job it has to be said

GuisaSaigon
21/09/2007, 2:50 PM
Does Roddy count?
Seriously though, Scully has done an amazing job, definitely my manager of the year.

feo123
21/09/2007, 2:56 PM
Scully has been fantastic, even when he was with kilkenny remember they had a great spell at one stage when we were in the 1st division! he's brought it into the preier with shams now and with a part time team and no home ground, theyve been magnificent.

Paul Cook im sure everyone would agree has been just as good really, you wont get a more honest man in ireland anyway, you'll do well to find a more honest and genuine manager anywhere. he has rovers playing some lovely football, has a small squad and limited resources but still has us challenging for europe. couldn't have asked for a better man to take the job

gilberto_eire
21/09/2007, 3:01 PM
has to be Scully no doubt.... to stop Sligo fans praising there oen manager...lets keep it to opposition;)

feo123
21/09/2007, 3:03 PM
has to be Scully no doubt.... to stop Sligo fans praising there oen manager...lets keep it to opposition;)

in fairness he does deserve praise, whether its from his own fans or not
at least we're not in the relegation dog-fight thank god :cool:

gilberto_eire
21/09/2007, 3:06 PM
in fairness he does deserve praise, whether its from his own fans or not
at least we're not in the relegation dog-fight thank god :cool:

i know thank god for that.... well then let other supporters say it, whether its been the songs,players etc.... ye always have to be the 1st set of supporters to start giving your own club as your pick!!. get's a bit boring!!:)

half_full
21/09/2007, 3:07 PM
Scully or Dolan

green-blood
21/09/2007, 3:08 PM
Scully

drogheda - full time, nutso budget
Pats - full time(ish) decent resources
Cork- full time, how much income form transfers and 35million of an investment onteh way (yeah right)
Derry - fulltime
Sligo - full time, hahahahaha
Bohs - fulltime wasters, 150 million in the bank

Scully is a miracle worker.

and whats this year and half stuff, he took KCFC from re-election to 4th, won div one with rovers and is 3/4 of season thru this term....he's lost less than a dozen games in 3 years

feo123
21/09/2007, 3:11 PM
whats so commical about sligo rovers being fulltime?

Drogman.
21/09/2007, 3:24 PM
Scully

drogheda - full time, nutso budget
Pats - full time(ish) decent resources
Cork- full time, how much income form transfers and 35million of an investment onteh way (yeah right)
Derry - fulltime
Sligo - full time, hahahahaha
Bohs - fulltime wasters, 150 million in the bank

Scully is a miracle worker.

and whats this year and half stuff, he took KCFC from re-election to 4th, won div one with rovers and is 3/4 of season thru this term....he's lost less than a dozen games in 3 years

To be fair to Scully, his first stint in the managerial world was when he was caretaker boss of us after Harry McCue got sacked and before Doolo joined.

We had just lost 3-2 to Rovers in Inchicore and were heading towards relegation with the team in tatters, then Scully's first game in charge was home to Waterford and we hammered them 3-0!!

So yeah, he's a good manager alright.

biscuit
21/09/2007, 3:26 PM
i know thank god for that.... well then let other supporters say it, whether its been the songs,players etc.... ye always have to be the 1st set of supporters to start giving your own club as your pick!!. get's a bit boring!!:)

no, credit where credit's due. the thread isnt titled, "best opposition manager". It aint our problem galway have nothing to shout about. If the tables were turned you'd be shouting from the rooftops saying cousins is the best thing since sliced pan.
and as SUPPORTERS we are meant to give our own club our pick...this shows SUPPORT:rolleyes:;)

feo123
21/09/2007, 3:29 PM
dont heed him biscuit, he's just raging galway will be in division one next season while we'll be sunning ourselves in some european country followin the bit o'red!

biscuit
21/09/2007, 3:31 PM
dont heed him biscuit, he's just raging galway will be in division one next season while we'll be sunning ourselves in some european country followin the bit o'red!

mallorca anyone :D:D

feo123
21/09/2007, 3:33 PM
hard for us to understand tony cousins when he's talking normally, the poor players wouldnt have a clue what he's saying when he's shouting at them in the dressing room, no wonder there on their way back down again.

Olander
21/09/2007, 3:40 PM
Has grammar reached Shhhhhligo yet?

gilberto_eire
21/09/2007, 3:44 PM

no just self-praise if the opportunity arises!!:D

feo123
21/09/2007, 3:52 PM

yes but maybe it hasnt found galway you can't even spell Sligo :rolleyes:

Saint MacDara
21/09/2007, 4:14 PM
I've always admired Pete Mahon's managerial skills with UCD.Rarely gets his tactics wrong,keen eye for talent and gets the best from his player most times.

It would be interesting to see him take the helm at a title challenging team.
I'd welcome him back to Pats (permanent) with open arms.

Sonic
21/09/2007, 5:35 PM
And as usual these thread turn into a sligo galway bitchfest! It was kind of amusing to start with but its ambushing every opinion based thread at this stage. Is anyone else running tired of it.

jamie m
21/09/2007, 5:46 PM
for me best manager this season has to be pat scully, whether its self-praise or not paul cook has done a fantastic job in difficult circumstances, alan matthews for giving longford a chance of survival when a lot of people had them as certs for relegation also deserves a mention,

Mental Man
21/09/2007, 7:54 PM
I dunno lads, honestly i think the best manager in the EL has to be Pete Mahon, say what you want, but he has a hell of a knack of finding good players and getting them to play well, they stay well within their resources and he works to that so he gets the nod from me !

s-side hoop
21/09/2007, 8:02 PM
it has to be sean connors! best manager by a mile! does a great interview! he should get the Ireland Job!

jebus
21/09/2007, 8:02 PM
Scully in the Premier, Hendo in the 1st this season anyway, overall I'd give it to Hendo this year. Although his dress sense is still appalling

SligoBrewer
21/09/2007, 8:09 PM
it has to be sean connors! best manager by a mile! does a great interview! he should get the Ireland Job!

surely its a sin he wasnt considered in the runnng for the chelsea job:rolleyes:

FarmHoop
21/09/2007, 8:25 PM
Being rovers id have to say scully, but i agree with mahon being a choice, does everything right with the squad he has

feo123
21/09/2007, 8:39 PM
surely its a sin he wasnt considered in the runnng for the chelsea job:rolleyes:

he's a personal friend with mr.mourinho because he saw him in the flesh once so he wouldnt want to take that job after the way he was treated

sligo23
21/09/2007, 8:40 PM
scully and cookie:cool:

Vitruvian Man
21/09/2007, 9:39 PM
I'd have to say Scully is the stand out manager of the year so far. He has proven he has the magic when managing minnows but I'd like to see him take the step up to a big club to really show what he's got.

FarmHoop
21/09/2007, 9:44 PM
I'd have to say Scully is the stand out manager of the year so far. He has proven he has the magic when managing minnows but I'd like to see him take the step up to a big club to really show what he's got.

A Big Club? :D

s-side hoop
21/09/2007, 9:56 PM

you mean to see how much abuse he can get off the fans, board & video interview guy before he quits?

youse have a great manager in connors hes bohemians through and through just like the shodster a match made in heaven!

Paddyfield
21/09/2007, 10:20 PM
1, Pat Sculy for making a bunch of homeless part-timers into European contenders. Rovers players are very fit and focused and Scully deserves all of the credit.

2, Alan Mathews for his loyalty and achievments with limited resources. Despite getting deducted points, Da Town are a good bet to stay up.

3, Dermot Keely for inheriting a club without any players, signing lots of unknowns and then competing admirably in the First Divison.

4, Paul Cook for moving to a club in crisis, in a league which he knew nothing about and upsetting the odds. Sure Bohs might nab him after they sack Connor.

5, Paul Hegarthy for proving the Derry let a quality manager out of their grasp. Harps are sneaking up the First Divison and are playing Cobh soon,

6, Sean Connor for proving that money can't buy you love. Had Bohs retained the services of Kenny, they'd be 10 points clear at the top by now.

7, Tony Cousins for getting Galway United promoted without kicking a ball :D

Billy Lord
22/09/2007, 12:18 AM
I walk quietly and proudly across this quite barren pool of bitterness. Pat Scully is a genius and Rovers are back - making the big spenders look really, really, no REALLY stupid.

BohsPartisan
22/09/2007, 12:24 AM
Has to be Scully. He's a pr1ck and I hate him but with a part time team and a minimal budget he's doing a fantastic job.

eamo1
22/09/2007, 12:45 AM
im a galway utd fan myself and just wanted a general discussion.i had forgotten about the sligo manager who is doing well and keely deserves a mention too but you really cant look past scully as i said.some english club will be in for him soon enough id say.

Billy Lord
22/09/2007, 12:54 AM
Has to be Scully. He's a pr1ck and I hate him but with a part time team and a minimal budget he's doing a fantastic job.
Respect. You buried that hatchet very well. My opinion of Bohs is irrelevant because if you're smart you already know what I think of your situation. And long may it continue.

Mental Man
22/09/2007, 7:02 AM
I dunno lads, honestly i think the best manager in the EL has to be Pete Mahon, say what you want, but he has a hell of a knack of finding good players and getting them to play well, they stay well within their resources and he works to that so he gets the nod from me !

Looks like i got it right after last nights result against Derry, well done UCD, more so well done Pete Mahon, he is often on our local radio here with Matt Keane (hardcore blues supporter) Matt has his own radio show called Terrace Talk, and a lot of LOI stuff on it and Pete is a pleasure to listen to on it, the LOI needs more people like Pete in it .

CollegeTillIDie
22/09/2007, 9:12 PM
Well done Mental Man. And Matt Keane's show on WLRFM rocks to :D

Ceirtlis
22/09/2007, 10:30 PM
I've always admired Pete Mahon's managerial skills with UCD.Rarely gets his tactics wrong,keen eye for talent and gets the best from his player most times.

It would be interesting to see him take the helm at a title challenging team.
I'd welcome him back to Pats (permanent) with open arms.

Bohs were a title chasing team the time he was there. He has done a good job at ucd in fairness too him even though he comes across as a miserable ****.

Poor Student
23/09/2007, 9:27 AM
It's worth remembering Pete also brought non-league St. Francis to the cup final. Things went pear shaped for him at Bohs alright. When considering the job he's doing for UCD it's not just that he has us a competing outfit that can produce good players on a small budget, he reversed the destruction of our club by Paul Doolin who had decimated our conveyor belt system and left us totally adrift at the foot of the table relegating to be out of the Premier for the first time in a decade.

Personally I'd go for Pat Scully. Did a good job at Kilkenny and has performed wonders for Shamrock Rovers. He's the type of manager any club would want, one who can extract the maximum from his set of players no matter their level of talent. The only thing I find odd about him is his huge turnover of players, but who am I to argue with his methods? Would be intrigued to see him with a bigger budget a la Shels of old or Drogs. When you see what even Fenlon and Doolin can achieve you wonder what a manager who can cut the mustard without the cash to splash could.

Anto McC
23/09/2007, 9:37 AM
I'd go for Pete Mahon.

Sam_Heggy
23/09/2007, 9:44 AM
Paul Hegarty is a legend. 18 points behind at one stage in the league, now second and 2 points adrift. Working wonders.
We had a discussion at one of our games about, filming just him on the side-lines, top quality viewing imo :p
The muckers must be sickened he didnt take over from Kenny, ah well, what a pity, never mind :cool:

chippie0001
23/09/2007, 10:06 AM
The best manager in the league is Sean Connor, have you not heard his interviews they almost match Rico's. :(

Joking aside I reckon Scully is the best manager based on this season. He has taken a team from Division 1 and only added a few players. It is a bad league this year but you can only beat what is in front of you and they have done that. To come straight up and be 5 points off the top says it all really. Hopefully its a bubble that will burst, and soon :rolleyes:

Other mentions must go to Pete Mahon and Alan Matthews. I would not class them as good as Scully but both have done a great job. That's two cup semi's UCD are in and are doing well in the league. Matthews has taken a shambles of a club and might just keep them up.

bohs til i die
23/09/2007, 10:25 AM
Scully by far is the best manager this season anyway. And as Chippie has said, Mahon and Matthews are doing some really good work on limited resources.