PDA

View Full Version : Website - all posters please read!!!

deise deserter
23/04/2003, 10:26 AM
Am starting a new website and was hoping to use quotes from foot.ie to give fans views on games. The site will mostly be pictures so it'll just be pices here and there. I assume most people would have no problem with this, but if you would prefer if I didn't use your posts could you please PM me and let me know.
Thanks.

dahamsta
23/04/2003, 10:43 AM
I'm not going to stick my nose too heavily into this, since it's really between you and the posters, but what you're doing here is like opt-out spamming, i.e. it's like shouting out to a crowded room: everyone tell me to stop or I'll blow your heads off. And some of the people are deaf, and some of them are asleep, and some of them are in the jacks...

The responsible way to do this is to ask for volunteers who /do/ want to be quoted. The easy way to do this is to PM someone when you see something you want to repost and ask them if you can quote them. You can also ask them at the time if they mind being reposted in future, and let them know that if that's ok, they only have to PM you to get you to stop.

You can quote me on that. :)

adam

deise deserter
23/04/2003, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Vetinari
I'm not going to stick my nose too heavily into this, since it's really between you and the posters, but what you're doing here is like opt-out spamming, i.e. it's like shouting out to a crowded room: everyone tell me to stop or I'll blow your heads off. And some of the people are deaf, and some of them are asleep, and some of them are in the jacks...

The responsible way to do this is to ask for volunteers who /do/ want to be quoted. The easy way to do this is to PM someone when you see something you want to repost and ask them if you can quote them. You can also ask them at the time if they mind being reposted in future, and let them know that if that's ok, they only have to PM you to get you to stop.

You can quote me on that. :)

adam

Hey I wish there were enough of us to be able to spam!!!
If you re-read the post I ask anyone with probs to PM me, so I really don't get the problem. The posts that will be "re-posted" for lack of a better term will not be on this site so it will not be jamming up your boards.

And stop jamming up the Limerick board, Cork boy!!!! ;)

dahamsta
23/04/2003, 11:56 AM
Hey I wish there were enough of us to be able to spam!!!

If you build it, they will come. :)

If you re-read the post I ask anyone with probs to PM me, so I really don't get the problem.

I read the post, I get what you're trying to do, and I'm not going to do anything if you go ahead with what you propose, since it's none of my business. I'm just trying to explain that you're going the wrong way about it, that you should be asking people if you can quote them, not telling you to stop if you don't want them to. If you ran servers and had to deal with spam, you'd know the difference between opt-in and opt-out. :)

The posts that will be "re-posted" for lack of a better term will not be on this site so it will not be jamming up your boards.

I never said anything about jamming up the boards, and it'd be pretty silly to repost post from here anyway.

And stop jamming up the Limerick board, Cork boy!!!!

Never forget that a Cork boy owns the Limerick board. The takeover bid on the club starts next week. :)

adam

deise deserter
23/04/2003, 12:00 PM
Hey, once I leak the news of your secret Cobh Ramblers/Dave Hill fetish it'll all be over for you .... ;)

dahamsta
23/04/2003, 12:03 PM
Nah, that's Joe deise, I'm the secret heathen. :)

adam

sadloserkid
23/04/2003, 12:26 PM
He's even gonna pass up on the football this season to go to Glastonbury!!! :p