PDA

View Full Version : Todays Star

biscuit
19/09/2007, 2:45 PM
Pat Scully claimed that Ger O'Brien is the best Right back in the country "by some distance".....cant agree with that, seamie coleman, mccallion,heary to name a few...personally, however slightly biased i think it has to be Seamus Coleman.

Dodge
19/09/2007, 2:55 PM
Anybody who thinks its anybody but Heary is being ridiculous.

Sniffer
19/09/2007, 2:55 PM
It's all about making the player believe in his own ability; O'Brien is certainly one of the most consistent number 2's around; don't know about the best. Coleman looks impressive and Owen Heary has proven pedigree. Not convinced about Eddie McCallion.

NY Hoop
19/09/2007, 2:58 PM
Would imagine Scully meant this season. Heary wasnt up to much monday while Ger was very solid as he has been over the season.

KOH

StephenMcG
*Wonders if anyone can name a time Ger O'Brien made a mistake*

biscuit
heary is a class act no doubt... its just i have rarely seen a right back get down the line on an overlap as much and as effective as coleman. It just marks him out as different class, and hes as solid as a rock on the back foot.

MariborKev
19/09/2007, 3:23 PM
Not convinced about Eddie McCallion.

Agreed

Maybe 2-3 years ago, but he is now on the wane.

bray boy
19/09/2007, 3:31 PM
colm tresson i think one of the most underrated players going i mean you just have to look at are form without him.
maybe not the best but hes certainly up there

adamcarr
19/09/2007, 4:53 PM
Neal Horgan is probably the most consistent player in the league, he would easily be up there with the best.

khoop
19/09/2007, 5:07 PM
Isn't it nice to know that you can always depend on this forum being an absolute bastion of objectivity?

Schumi
19/09/2007, 5:10 PM
Not like the completely objective Mr Scully. :)

pineapple stu
19/09/2007, 5:16 PM
He's right though. Big difference. ;)

khoop
19/09/2007, 5:21 PM
Not like the completely objective Mr Scully. :)

At least Rovers' defensive record offers some weight to his argument. Some of the other names coming up here are ridiculous.

Let's take Bray for example. 41 conceded! Who let those in? The left back maybe???

Celdrog
19/09/2007, 5:50 PM
Some good players there - wouldn't swap Brian Shelley for any of them all the same.
Actually I wouldn't swap Brian Shelley for all of them

Claret and blue glasses on

Hibs4Ever
19/09/2007, 5:51 PM
At least Rovers' defensive record offers some weight to his argument. Some of the other names coming up here are ridiculous.

Let's take Bray for example. 41 conceded! Who let those in? The left back maybe???

The keeper ;)

DmanDmythDledge
19/09/2007, 5:53 PM
Brian Shelly has been the best right full in the league this season but I'd still have Heary over him. Don't know how anyone can take Scully seriously.

HulaHoop
19/09/2007, 6:26 PM
Don't know how anyone can take Scully seriously.

This from the bloke who said Rovers "will clearly struggle this season."

Tis-smeee
19/09/2007, 6:36 PM
Shelley and pat flynn are by far the best

sligoman
19/09/2007, 6:48 PM
Does anyone care what Scully says? He's the most biased manager in the league, seriously, shams never deserve to lose apparently. It's always someone else's fault. Whatever he says, let it in one ear and out the other, it's the only way to bear the tripe he comes out with.

HulaHoop
19/09/2007, 6:57 PM
Does anyone care what Scully says? He's the most biased manager in the league, seriously, shams never deserve to lose apparently. It's always someone else's fault. Whatever he says, let it in one ear and out the other, it's the only way to bear the tripe he comes out with.

http://www.shamrockrovers.ie/pressrelease.php?subaction=showfull&id=1186670010&archive=&start_from=&ucat=10&

WHAT SCULLY SAYS ….
About last Tuesday's 0-1 League Cup defeat against Bohemians "That was probably the worst night of my managerial career. It was an appalling performance. We deserved to get beaten and have no complaints about the result.

sligoman
19/09/2007, 7:02 PM
He's learning a bit then. About time, still along way to go before he can be taken seriously again though.

onceahoop
19/09/2007, 7:18 PM
still along way to go before he can be taken seriously again though.

.........say's he, thinking about himself;)

Sniffer
19/09/2007, 7:29 PM
He's learning a bit then. About time, still along way to go before he can be taken seriously again though.

This (http://walkthechalk.blogspot.com/2007/09/follow-leader.html) may or may not alter your view

Kildare Lad
19/09/2007, 8:08 PM
Have to admit Ger O Brien is a quality player. Dont know about the best right back in the league though?

blackholesun
19/09/2007, 8:22 PM
heary my arse ... when Ive seen him this year, he only looks half arsed, hes there at the gypos to go thru the motions and collect his 1K+ a week for the next few years.

bhs

Erstwhile Bóz
19/09/2007, 8:28 PM
heary my arse ... when Ive seen him this year, he only looks half arsed, hes there at the gypos to go thru the motions and collect his 1K+ a week for the next few years.

bhs
Emmm ... long may it continue. He's been great. (Recent crap excluded.)

green-blood
20/09/2007, 9:20 AM
Leave Heary alone, ok Rovers got both our goals over his shoulder Monday night, but come on its gotta be difficult for the chap to motivate himself, like its not easy to go from winning titles to battling to stay in the top half of the league

BrayUnknowns
20/09/2007, 9:31 AM

In fairness he's had a bif fcuking halping had in a lot of them :mad:

When fit, Colm Tresson is by far our best player, and he's a right back. We are a completely different team with him playing there. It's just a shame his missed most of the season through injury.

but for me Shelly has een the best right full this season

btid1
20/09/2007, 9:55 AM

bhs

If that is Heary going through the motions then I hope he keeps just going through the motions because he has been fantastic this season.It was never going to be easy for Shelbourne's captain to win over Bohs fans but everyone who has watched Bohs this season is in agreement that he has been outstanding.

Sonic
20/09/2007, 10:10 AM
Some good players there - wouldn't swap Brian Shelley for any of them all the same.
Actually I wouldn't swap Brian Shelley for all of them

Claret and blue glasses on
The man you sold to us Pat Sullivan is better.

Schumi
20/09/2007, 11:34 AM
The man you sold to us Pat Sullivan is better.
Always thought he was better on the wing than at right back, quality player though.

hooper1524
20/09/2007, 1:18 PM
I would doubt there are many better defenders than Ger O'Brien in the league. He does need to improve his distribution which I'm sure he will over time. His defending is second to none. If there was another full back in the league I'd like to see at ROvers it would have to be Brian Shelley.

NY Hoop
20/09/2007, 1:22 PM
I would doubt there are many better defenders than Ger O'Brien in the league. He does need to improve his distribution which I'm sure he will over time. His defending is second to none. If there was another full back in the league I'd like to see at ROvers it would have to be Brian Shelley.

Well Brian was at Rovers not so long ago. Hard to separate the two of them to be honest.

KOH