PDA

View Full Version : Dunphy - "We Have the Best GAA Players in the World"

Boh_So_Good
19/09/2007, 2:28 PM
OK, it's the truth. But Ireland also has the best me in the world too. As long as there are no other 'me's' in the world then my glorious status as me being 'the best me in the world' is safe.

Talk about the Big Fish/Little Pond concept taken to the extreme by this bitter hack.

But in terms of using it to classify the world class ability of the GAA "athletes" when benchmarked against international sports is moronic. Me thinks he has been watching too many Lucozade Sport ads on RTE.

I mean what next..."we have the best Showbands in the world"..."we have the best Marty Whelan in the world..."

Why is this person still on our screens. What does he have to offer? Why am I being taxed to pay his wages?

jebus
19/09/2007, 2:30 PM
Wouldn't it be funny if the GAA took off with the Irish-Americans over in America and they suddenly had better GAA players than us?

Risteard
19/09/2007, 2:35 PM
As long as there are no other 'me's' in the world then my glorious status as me being 'the best me in the world' is safe.

That could be one of those motivating mantras to boost self-esteem.
I think i'll use that.

In fairness, Setanta had a near flawless championship career.

Boh_So_Good
19/09/2007, 2:39 PM
Imagine naming your kid after a TV channel!

NeilMcD
19/09/2007, 2:41 PM
I think he was in full flight and was frothing at the mouth at this stage and therefore said this rubbish. I dont think he woudl defend it if challenged on it. A slip of the tongue while getting worked up during a debate is what I would put it down to.

Schumi
19/09/2007, 2:43 PM
I think he was in full flight and was frothing at the mouth at this stage and therefore said this rubbish. I dont think he woudl defend it if challenged on it. A slip of the tongue while getting worked up during a debate is what I would put it down to.That's what I thought too. I cracked up when I heard it though.

Jerry The Saint
19/09/2007, 2:45 PM
Imagine if a group of Australian athletes started training with a Gaelic ball and ended up being better at the basic Gaelic Football skills than the Irish :eek: Whatever would the GAA do then:confused:

Lionel Ritchie
19/09/2007, 3:05 PM
Imagine if a group of Australian athletes started training with a Gaelic ball and ended up being better at the basic Gaelic Football skills than the Irish :eek: Whatever would the GAA do then:confused:

The cricket crowd across the water (and here I suppose) just shrug and get on with it.:)

Jerry The Saint
19/09/2007, 3:09 PM
The cricket crowd across the water (and here I suppose) just shrug and get on with it.:)

Those Aussie cricketers are far too violent - scrap the entire sport I say.

(Of course in cricket, the violence was the other way around (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodyline))

pete
19/09/2007, 3:11 PM
Imagine naming your kid after a TV channel!

Imagine not even getting paid for it. :eek:

The best GAA players must be one of Dunphys best quotes. Up there with the "tired & emotional". Did he mention out world class rugby players?

We are minnows of world sport unless you count 4 legged animals.

Bluebeard
19/09/2007, 3:30 PM
Imagine not even getting paid for it. :eek:

The best GAA players must be one of Dunphys best quotes. Up there with the "tired & emotional". Did he mention out world class rugby players?

We are minnows of world sport unless you count 4 legged animals.

What, the drug-takers?

How many legs had Miche-

Never mind.

Thomo
19/09/2007, 3:43 PM
thats made my day. what a buffioon dunphy is!

dcfcsteve
26/09/2007, 12:11 AM

They did. And we lost 4 out of 5 times.......

pete
26/09/2007, 10:11 AM

Have a tantrum, take our ball & not play any more? Those big bad Australian bullies :D

Thomo
26/09/2007, 10:15 AM
Originally Posted by Jerry The Saint

Imagine if a group of Australian athletes started training with a Gaelic ball and ended up being better at the basic Gaelic Football skills than the Irish Whatever would the GAA do then

claim to be tired and emotional? or maybe call for the manager of every gaa team's head, because we don't have enough world class coaches? or maybe moan about... oops sorry, i must have been thinking of another governing body of another sport in ireland, or maybe the fans, i forget:D

smellyfeet
26/09/2007, 3:57 PM

Didn't know there was any skill in Gaelic Football:confused:

kingdom hoop
26/09/2007, 4:11 PM
I didn't know there were skills involved in making stupid posts. But if there are, the last post offers good opportunity for examination.

Accurately kicking a round object towards a target isn't a skill? Well I'll be damned. :p

SligoBrewer
26/09/2007, 9:43 PM
I didn't know there were skills involved in making stupid posts. But if there are, the last post offers good opportunity for examination.

Accurately kicking a round object towards a target isn't a skill? Well I'll be damned. :p

i call it a hoof tbh

the only game where you score by hoofing the ball

RĂ©iteoir
27/09/2007, 10:53 AM
i call it a hoof tbh

You've obviously forgotten about the eL First Division then...

kingdom hoop
27/09/2007, 3:39 PM
i call it a hoof tbh

Or you could call it a volley either.:)