PDA

View Full Version : FAO Galway fans at Tolka on Friday

GreenStar
18/09/2007, 11:47 PM
Last week a terrible tragedy befell Shamrock Rovers FC where a 28 year old fan tragically lost his life. He was a most popular lad among everyone who knew him. His passing hit the club hard.

Last Friday morning he was buried and it was a difficult day to say the least. On Friday night we played Galway United in Tolka Park. The game was preceded by a minute's applause, during which our fans chanted his nickname. It was emotional to say the very least.

During the chant I thought I heard the Galway fans chant and it was confirmed afterwards that you joined with us in saying goodbye to a true Hoop. You guys wouldn't know him but you joined in the applause(expected) and the chant(obviously unexpected).

I just want to say this to all the Galway fans who were present: Thank you so much. You don't know what it meant to all Rovers supporters. Much respect to you all for your gesture. The family are aware of your comradery and Galway United FC and Galway United fans went up even higher in the estimation of all Rovers fans last Friday.

Conor H
19/09/2007, 8:59 AM
Very nice of you,Thanks.

Theskinloyal
19/09/2007, 9:41 AM
Great to see a club celebrating the life of a fan...doesn't happen enough

pateen
19/09/2007, 3:17 PM
Yeah fair play galway boys. Some of us could take example from this

Patrick Dunne
19/09/2007, 9:40 PM
On a related note, the use of the minutes silence has been totally devalued in Terryland. Practically anyone who has passed away in the town is now accorded this honour.

There have been silences in Terryland this season for people who have no connection, or extremely tenous ones, with GUFC.

Outside of the bereavement of former players, administrators/volunteers or
current season ticket holders, this practice should cease.

corbyeire
20/09/2007, 9:47 AM
yea it was a good gesture on friday and you could tell it meant something to the local fans - there was an atmosphere about it

probably why we joined in the clapping

but would agree with PD there - every match now - minutes silence - its becoming very vacant

Patrick Dunne
20/09/2007, 12:18 PM
I am a supporter of the hurlers and footballers, I just don't go to their matches.

Similarly, there are thousands of people in Galway city and county who support GUFC and wish them well.

There has to be some way of quantifying whether or not you are actual matchday supporter of GUFC. Whether it is for the purpose of allocating you tickets for certain matches, or giving you a minutes silence.

Your next of kin should have to produce a season ticket to gain a minutes silence. Failing that, some ticket stubs, a replica jersey or some old programmes.

inthestand99
20/09/2007, 1:00 PM
:ball:You are right BB.This is not the place. Open another thread. I was there last weekend and it was emotional. Alan Nolan was a member of their 400 club. R.I.P. ALAN.

NY Hoop
20/09/2007, 1:24 PM
Didnt hear them myself but fair play to the Galway fans. BTW the 400 club is gone its now the SRFC Members Club.

KOH

Tir Oilean
20/09/2007, 1:58 PM
Didnt know the guy but we still had a shared interest at heart in Irish soccer so R.I.P. Alan.

Patrick Dunne
20/09/2007, 7:22 PM
I was being facetious about the ticket stubs, programmes, BB.