PDA

View Full Version : Saipan On Setanta!

Pages : [1] 2

SUB of the day
18/09/2007, 4:56 PM
Heard this documentary previewed on News Talk 106 this morning.Neither of the main protagonists were invited to contribute, the focus being the National reaction/over reaction to same.The clip they played really gave a good flavour of the passions aroused in 2002.Sunday September 30 on Setanta.....if we can't look forward, might as well look back.Stans " I never heard language like it" remains a classic.

NeilMcD
18/09/2007, 5:01 PM
So who really was at fault, Discuss!!!!!

SUB of the day
18/09/2007, 5:11 PM

You cannot be serious!...Seriously, the rights and wrongs aren't the issues explored, rather the civil war style brother against brother disputes it spawned.

NeilMcD
18/09/2007, 5:16 PM
Just messing thats all. Sorry about that.

SUB of the day
18/09/2007, 5:23 PM
Just messing thats all. Sorry about that.
No worries, last nights humbling by the Hoops must have you looking for distractions....:D

NeilMcD
18/09/2007, 5:45 PM
Yeah a bit of a disaster. Had a lot of the ball but did not create enough clear chances.

theworm2345
19/09/2007, 2:00 AM
I saw something like this about a year back, I think it was called The Saipan Saga.

CJTheGull
19/09/2007, 8:35 AM
Don't mention the war....etc etc :p

Stuttgart88
19/09/2007, 8:44 AM
I hope Eddie O'Sullivan has taken note of the lessons.

OwlsFan
19/09/2007, 8:47 AM
Don't mention the war....etc etc :p

Quite an appropriate statement:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Saipan

SunderlandBohs
19/09/2007, 10:05 AM
There was a programme on The History Channel about The Battle of Saipan the other week. Wasn't bad! A lot of innocent people died. Looks like a nice place now.

Calcio Jack
19/09/2007, 10:18 AM

Ray Treacy/McCarthy...remember his famous quip "... a guy at an airport gave me a slip of paper with the name Saipan written on it." then he and McCarthy went on a fact finding mission months in advance and decided that the facilities their were exactly what was required...

OwlsFan
19/09/2007, 10:25 AM
There was a programme on The History Channel about The Battle of Saipan the other week. Wasn't bad! A lot of innocent people died. Looks like a nice place now.

Most soldiers are innocent as well. Just conscripted in to an army to fight because their politicians have decided to make war. Defenceless might be a better word.

Saw the programme. Was good but then I'll watch anything about WW2. RTE are running an excellent programme on Stalingrad.

Puts the whole Irish Saipan thing in to perspective when one thinks of the blood that was spilled there 60 years previously.

NeilMcD
19/09/2007, 10:29 AM
[QUOTE=OwlsFan;774125]Most soldiers are innocent as well. Just conscripted in to an army to fight because their politicians have decided to make war. Defenceless might be a better word.

Saw the programme. Was good but then I'll watch anything about WW2. RTE are running an excellent programme on Stalingrad.

Puts the whole Irish Saipan thing in to perspective when one thinks of the blood that was spilled there 60 years previously.[

Yeah I headed up to Krackow after the Ireland games last week and went to Birkenau and Auchwitz. Certainly put into perspective the 2 results.

geysir
19/09/2007, 10:53 AM
I went to visit Dachau after the Stuttgart game. Found the town easy enough but we couldn't find where the Camp was. No street sign, not on the tourist trail. Got out of the car and started to ask people ´where is ze Concentration Camp?'. Nobody had a clue, total memory wipeout, we became more persistant and went into every shop, spoke loudly but politly´Íf you please, can you guide me in the direction of the Concentration Camp´
Finally someone told us that it was off such and such a road out of town, watch out for the sign with some name.
Finally, finally, we saw the sign (long name), a small little thing hidden in the overgrowth. Got to the front gate - Closed on Mondays.

Stuttgart88
19/09/2007, 11:03 AM
I was at Dachau in the 90s. "Arbeit Macht Frei". Eerie and heart breaking.

SunderlandBohs
19/09/2007, 12:16 PM
Auchwitz is one of those places that just turns your blood stone cold. Sickening to walk around and think of what went on in that place. I'd imagine Saipan has place like that. Like the cliffs people would jump off & throw there babies & young children into the sea rather than face the Japenese. But yet Saipan will be remember for two Irish men (one with a thick Yorkshire accent) having a tiff over a bumpy football pitch. The Irish Civil War crap gets to me as well. I was pro-McCarthy, but here I am five years wearing a t-shirt that says ' Keano Kicks Ass'.:rolleyes:

citizenerased
19/09/2007, 12:24 PM
the guy was on this forum about 4 or 5 months back asking for peoples tales and fueds during saipan, he wanted me to do an interview, but i declined as the material would be embarassing to the family and the auld one would go mad

Schumi
19/09/2007, 12:29 PM
I was at Dachau in the 90s. "Arbeit Macht Frei". Eerie and heart breaking.I was there in 2000, spooky place. I have a postcard of the gates with 'Arbeit Macht Frei' on them at home to keep things in perspective. I don't remember it being hard to find though.

gspain
19/09/2007, 12:45 PM
I went to visit Dachau after the Stuttgart game. Found the town easy enough but we couldn't find where the Camp was. No street sign, not on the tourist trail. Got out of the car and started to ask people ´where is ze Concentration Camp?'. Nobody had a clue, total memory wipeout, we became more persistant and went into every shop, spoke loudly but politly´Íf you please, can you guide me in the direction of the Concentration Camp´
Finally someone told us that it was off such and such a road out of town, watch out for the sign with some name.
Finally, finally, we saw the sign (long name), a small little thing hidden in the overgrowth. Got to the front gate - Closed on Mondays.

You were in Munich right?? You need to get a bus from the S Bahn. It is documented in the guides OK. Quite a few visitors when we were there. It is very chilling. Some of my mates went to Terazin near Prague on this trip and found it equally so. These were only holding camps. I can only imagine what Auschwitz is like.

NeilMcD
19/09/2007, 1:30 PM
Auschwitz is pretty tough but I found Dachau as bad. Maybe its because that was my first time to visit the site of a concentration camp. Auschwitz 1 was originally set up as a concentration camp but Auschwitz II or Birkenau as its also know was a death camp and nothing else. That is bleak and isolated and that got me too. The most chilling aspect of the whole experience for me was the amount of hair they still have. I think the tangiable evidence of human life really got to me there

Schumi
19/09/2007, 1:40 PM
The thing that always got to me looking at pictures of Auschwitz was the rail lines running into it. There's something especially horrific about that level of planning and mechanisation involved in killing people.

Torn-Ado
19/09/2007, 1:41 PM
Saipan? What happened there?

Schumi
19/09/2007, 1:43 PM
Keep up, there was a battle there in WW2.

NeilMcD
19/09/2007, 1:53 PM
The thing that always got to me looking at pictures of Auschwitz was the rail lines running into it. There's something especially horrific about that level of planning and mechanisation involved in killing people.

The Train lines were always there long before it was decided to be a death camp. A lot of the decisions made were were step by step rather than a grand plan from the start. Still totally disgusting and evil.

citizenerased
19/09/2007, 1:57 PM
Boys boys boys, slightly moving off the point methinks, the history threads are in the other Topics section

geysir
19/09/2007, 2:07 PM
Dachau gives you a chill even when observed from the air in the airplanes approach to Munich airport.

How did we shift from Saipan to Genocide. Do we have to make that extreme comparison to put Saipan in some perspective :)
Survivalist psychology, 'oh i'm lucky I only lost 2 fingers the guy next to me lost his arm'.
Now we know those were happy days, we were still in a World Cup.

Torn-Ado
19/09/2007, 2:56 PM
Keep up, there was a battle there in WW2.

Oh. Ok.

Donegalcelt
19/09/2007, 6:19 PM
there's youtube ad

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=oBZGZczhJNo

The Swordsman
20/09/2007, 4:08 AM
How did we shift from Saipan to Genocide. Do we have to make that extreme comparison to put Saipan in some perspective.

I blame Keane for the whole lot. And I reckon he had something to do with the Killing Fields in Cambodia;)

Mick is not blameless either. Allegedly, he told George Bush to invade Iraq.

OwlsFan
21/09/2007, 10:21 AM
Yep, and Big Jack told the Germans to put the Poles under pressure.

Drunkphy said it was a good war but not a great war.

Mourinho told Hitler he was the special one.

Roy Keane said that at the end of the day all credit to the atomic bomb.

Giles said it was a war of two halves.

Jammie Rednapp said the Italians were good shot stoppers.

George Hamilton said as the Germans reached Dunkirk that it looks as if the Axis have this sewn up.

Billsthoughts
21/09/2007, 2:08 PM
George Hamilton said as the Germans reached Dunkirk that it looks as if the Axis have this sewn up.

classic:D

Stuttgart88
21/09/2007, 2:19 PM
Ditto.

Tipp Townie
24/09/2007, 4:05 PM

:D yep, i just laughed out loud in the office and got a few looks!

citizenerased
25/09/2007, 12:29 PM
did anyone see it, i missed the programme!! will it be repeated?

Wolfie
25/09/2007, 12:36 PM
Sunday September 30 on Setanta......

Not been on yet.

Read an article previewing it in the Indo at the weekend.

The Manager of the hotel that the team were based at first figured out that there was trouble ahead when his son was out on the training pitch within ear shot of Roy Keane and Alan Kelly.

Apparently the young lad inquired of his dad "What's a feckin ******?" :D

The Swordsman
01/10/2007, 9:15 AM
Watched it last night.

Thought it was Ok. It was done with a fair amount of humour and it actually captured quite well the feeling that was around at the time.

However, there was nothing in it that hadn't come out before and i don't think it will change many views.

Billsthoughts
01/10/2007, 9:52 AM
I watched it myself as well. I thought it was quite good. funny as well. nothin new but sure what else was there to say? have to laugh. I thought I would be looking at it thinking " jaysus we were all a bit mad back then" while instead I was thinking when I saw that press conferance..."Macarthy you f*ckin moron!!!!!!" :D still...what we would give for a WC scandal now eh?

DaveyCakes
01/10/2007, 11:16 AM
It was awful. A couple of idiot fans spouting the same crap we've heard a million times. As soon as Marian Finnucane appeared on the screen I switched over.

To digress, that Stalingrad programme on RTE 2 was also ****e. Three programmes that jumped around all over the place and basically gave no logical information about the course of the battle. And Cathal O'Shannon is a tosser of the highest order.

Dr. Ogba
01/10/2007, 11:37 AM
what was the story with those animations? f**king annoying and absolutely pointless. Apart from that it was a decent enough watch.

Ireland4ever
01/10/2007, 12:40 PM
I thought the animations were good....the bit about the in-laws arguing and the father being on the verge of depression as a result of what happened...very true

Also, couldnt help thinking what could have been....We had a very strong team looking back.

Billsthoughts
01/10/2007, 12:47 PM
aw man I could have watched a whole series of the animations with the players heads on them....the eyes on animated Niall Quinn were classic....

Newryrep
01/10/2007, 12:53 PM
To digress, that Stalingrad programme on RTE 2 was also ****e. Three programmes that jumped around all over the place and basically gave no logical information about the course of the battle. And Cathal O'Shannon is a tosser of the highest order.

What happened programme 2 it wasnt on last Sunday due to football , so they just showed 3 this week ?. I was a bit disappointed in 1 but I thought 3 was alright. When did they show 2 ?

Reality Bites
01/10/2007, 1:20 PM
Good Programme, I liked the animation too thought it as quirky.. It was a time in my life I'll always remember, and people talk about perspective and worst things in the World, but for me the the sense of loss and desperate hope for some sort of resolution and eventually all hopes Dashed in that fateful week were all very real and personal, The rows with friends for months afterwards were memorable.. I suppose Sport matters

DaveyCakes
01/10/2007, 2:18 PM
What happened programme 2 it wasnt on last Sunday due to football , so they just showed 3 this week ?. I was a bit disappointed in 1 but I thought 3 was alright. When did they show 2 ?

Not sure. I'd seen it before on the History Channel or UKTV History or one of those, so I wasn't too bothered about seeing it again, but there definitely was a bit of messing baout with the schedule.

citizenerased
04/10/2007, 12:28 PM
Lads missed it...is it ebing repeated at all.. absolutely mad to see it!!

Ireland4ever
04/10/2007, 12:34 PM
I dont think so, i read somewhere its being released in DVD from 5th of october.

The Swordsman
04/10/2007, 12:45 PM
What's being released on DVD on 5th October??? The programme on Saipan or the Stalingrad job?

BTW, 'Jungle Book 40th Anniversary Edition' is being released in November if anyone's interested :D:D

Ireland4ever
05/10/2007, 1:29 PM
The Saipan Documentary is supposedly being released today.

OwlsFan
05/10/2007, 3:37 PM
The Saipan Documentary is supposedly being released today.

That's like wanting to buy a dvd of a funeral :rolleyes: