PDA

View Full Version : German Ambassador's speech.

Noelys Guitar
18/09/2007, 1:12 AM
Should he apologise? Was he right in what he said? And where did he get that suit?

Aberdonian Stu
18/09/2007, 8:46 AM
For those unaware of what NG is talking about see here (http://www.independent.ie/national-news/lost-in-translation----envoy-refuses-to-back-down-over-remarks-1082350.html)

Lionel Ritchie
18/09/2007, 9:45 AM
ah when the lamp is turned inwards.

I'll give whoever took offence he was probably a bit snide though I get the impression he was fairly tongue in cheek as well -that said there's little I've heard/read of what he said that was factually inaccurate.

That he chose to shatter a few preconceptions and dillusions his countrymen may have had about life and culture here can hardly be a hanging offence.

Besides most non-Germans don't get German humour. Me? I love it...

Heinz comes comes home from work and as he's getting out of his car his neighbour Ralf comes up to him and says " Heh Heinz-there's been a long line of men going in and out of your house all day. I thought it was kind of suspicious and thought you might want to know", and Heinz replies "oh that's okay ...my wife's become a crack addict and she's taken up prostitution to support her habit".

:eek:

:D

OneRedArmy
18/09/2007, 10:34 AM
For years we had no money but people round the world loved us for our humour, friendliness and unspoilt country.

Now we are obssessed with money, status and worship the God of property and are facing up to the problems that go along with this.

Sweeping generalisation, but the truth hurts sometimes.

dahamsta
18/09/2007, 10:34 AM
I'm not seeing anything in the comments published in the Indo that aren't actually true. Are we "reprimanding" people for telling the truth now? Oh, I forgot, it's a Fianna Failure Government, of course we are...

adam

Macy
18/09/2007, 10:40 AM
Oh, I forgot, it's a Fianna Failure Government, of course we are...
Yeah, and don't be talking the truth about the economy either!

dahamsta
18/09/2007, 10:46 AM
Shhh, don't mention the war.

jebus
18/09/2007, 11:07 AM
Even if his comments were in jest he was speaking the truth about this country and hence should congratulated

pete
18/09/2007, 11:09 AM
He is entitled to this opinion & I don't see anything particularly offensive or incorrect.

Dodge
18/09/2007, 11:37 AM
Oh, I forgot, it's a Fianna Failure Government, of course we are...

Slightly off topic but did anybody watch the after match stuff on TV3's coverage of Ireland v Georgia at the weekend? Matt Cooper was presenting and interviewed Eddie O'Sullivan who, predictably enough, didn't really want to be there. When he finished, rugby analyst and former TD, Jim Glennon said something like "Thats rubbish, he hasn't one question", to which Cooper replied; "Well you'd know all about that being a Fianna Fail member"

I nearly wet myself...

Paddyfield
19/09/2007, 7:13 PM
He is entitled to this opinion & I don't see anything particularly offensive or incorrect.

I agree with you Pete. He just made a few observations.

onceahoop
19/09/2007, 7:37 PM
I agree with you Pete. He just made a few observations.

People don't like hearing the truth about themselves. We've become slaves to the Euro and Mammon is our new God.

As for Jim Glennon. I've met him a few times and he comes across as a sound fella, I can see why he left politics.

dahamsta
19/09/2007, 8:11 PM
I think this thread is funny in light of the complaints about McWilliams only the other day. It's a disgrace for a young, successful broadcaster to run down our country, but it's ok for a german ambassador. :)

adam

pete
20/09/2007, 10:14 AM
I think this thread is funny in light of the complaints about McWilliams only the other day. It's a disgrace for a young, successful broadcaster to run down our country, but it's ok for a german ambassador.

I never said anyone was not entitled to to their opinion. The German Ambassador made a few small comments, he doesn't earn a living on TV through it ;)

And to cherry pick...

n his speech, Mr Pauls pointed out that junior ministers here earn more than the German Chancellor and that 20pc of the Irish population are public servants.

100% Agree. :p

I would guess his comments could also be politically motivated. If I was German I might be a bit annoyed giving hand outs to Ireland while they don't seem to have any shortage of cash. Have we become a Net contributer to the EU yet?

Lionel Ritchie
20/09/2007, 10:43 AM
Have we become a Net contributer to the EU yet?

quite some time ago I thought.

pete
20/09/2007, 11:48 AM
quite some time ago I thought.

Are you sure. I know it was on the cards if we are hasn't been for long...?

OneRedArmy
20/09/2007, 12:36 PM
Maybe the ambassador was simply annoyed at the lack of Ferrero Rocher at the reception?

beautifulrock
20/09/2007, 1:20 PM
The man should be applauded for what he said. From how we manage the flow of imigrants to our worship of the Holy Euro is spot on.

CollegeTillIDie
22/09/2007, 10:09 AM
I didn't think anything the German Ambassador said could in any way be described as inaccurate. So he may not have been diplomatic in his way of expressing things but as anyone with a rudimentary knowledge of the German Language knows, subtlety is not one of it's stronger suits :D

Another German joke for you: Small town in Germany has a citizen whose name is Wolfgang Von Stinkenhosen( Smelly trousers). So the Burgermeister( Town Mayor) was not surprised when one day he turns up with a deed poll form to change his name. Wolfgang says '' Herr Burgermeister I am applying to change my name .''
So the Burgermeister says '' Wolfgang I have been expecting you . What would you like to change your name to?'' And Wolfgang says '' I wish to be known henceforth as Hermann Von Stinkenhosen :D''