PDA

View Full Version : Super Stan takes on Brazil

zenokelly
17/09/2007, 5:27 PM
No problem to Stan. Great to see the FAI being so optimistic in their friendly arrangements! ( I know they're only doing it for the money) but what the hell. It'll be a great night out lads, and we'll probably beat them!

From today's Indo:

IRISH fans will have a little bit of "samba" to look forward to when their Euro 2008 Qualifying campaign comes to an end after the FAI wrapped up a February friendly with Brazil.

The Boys in Green will take on the world soccer giants at Croke Park on February 6 2008 after FAI Chief Executive John Delaney presented the proposal to the GAA last week.

Brazil visited Lansdowne Road in February 2004 for a high-profile friendly and the GAA, FAI and Irish fans alike will be hoping they will showcase a strong squad.

The FAI are reported to have paid in and around €500,000 for a date with the Brazilians, on top of the €1 million rental fee for Croke Park but will be expecting a €4 million payback from gate reciepts on top of TV rights payments.

At least we have someting to look forward to........ sort of

pineapple stu
17/09/2007, 5:30 PM
Thought we couldn't host friendlies in Croker?

Are we just getting charged extortionate fees for this?

soccerc
17/09/2007, 5:34 PM
Thought we couldn't host friendlies in Croker?

Are we just getting charged extortionate fees for this?

Posted this 24 hrs ago. Delaney spoke with the GAA last week about this friendly that the GAA will allow under some amended rule.
http://foot.ie/showpost.php?p=772267&postcount=86

Ireland4ever
18/09/2007, 1:02 PM
At least we have someting to look forward to........ sort of

Whos cares about this meaningless match, just another chance for FAI to rip off the fans.

youngirish
18/09/2007, 1:32 PM
Boycott this farce.

gilberto_eire
18/09/2007, 1:39 PM
sure does nobody remember a mth or two ago when the GAA gave the Rugby/Football crowd the option of something like 2 friendlies for next year to help preparations further???. i remember reading it a while back anyway!

Dodge
18/09/2007, 1:41 PM
sure does nobody remember a mth or two ago when the GAA gave the Rugby/Football crowd the option of something like 2 friendlies for next year to help preparations further???. i remember reading it a while back anyway!

LOL. Its a money thing. Plain and simple. if you don't want to go to the game, don't.

reder
18/09/2007, 1:44 PM
And if you dont go you will lose your place on the BB scheme, which can be filled by umpteen other people.

dynamo kerry
18/09/2007, 3:20 PM
And if you dont go you will lose your place on the BB scheme, which can be filled by umpteen other people.

untrue - I've turned down friendlies several times and have always been re-invited to purchase tickets for the next gamE

geysir
18/09/2007, 4:48 PM
Posted this 24 hrs ago. Delaney spoke with the GAA last week about this friendly that the GAA will allow under some amended rule.
http://foot.ie/showpost.php?p=772267&postcount=86
No amended rule. The GAA Congress vote allowed for the temporary relaxation of rule 42 but the Central Committee decides on the usage.
The CC met months ago and agreed to allow a limited nr of friendlies, 2 for soccer and 2 for Rugby.

When is the next FAI congress? :)

soccerc
18/09/2007, 5:39 PM
No amended rule. The GAA Congress vote allowed for the temporary relaxation of rule 42 but the Central Committee decides on the usage.
The CC met months ago and agreed to allow a limited nr of friendlies, 2 for soccer and 2 for Rugby.

When is the next FAI congress? :)

I was being tongue in cheek but the FAI only approached the GAA last week with the request for the Brazil game on 6 Feb 2008:cool:

Amended rule, temporary relaxation of rule, same difference I think:D

However the last FAI AGM was in Killarney Co Kerry last July and next one is set for July 2008.

Reality Bites
18/09/2007, 6:53 PM
Boycott this farce.

Personally I will but you got to expect the majority of people that go to these are not real fans and don't have the savvy that most people have on this forum! it just a money spinner and we'll feed the usual dosh about Building a new team.. So fed up of FAI It's a Farce I tell you:mad:

gilberto_eire
18/09/2007, 6:55 PM
well ill be looking for tickets to go SUPPORT my country anyway!!

geysir
18/09/2007, 11:30 PM
I was being tongue in cheek but the FAI only approached the GAA last week with the request for the Brazil game on 6 Feb 2008:cool:
Amended rule, temporary relaxation of rule, same difference I think:D

Another smiley freak. :eek:
It´s just that
your post read 100% (cast iron), that you thought the GAA had to amend something in order to allow friendlies.
That's all, now I see that you just failed to express yourself properly and that you intended to refer to the general Croke Park opening.
I am not that pedandic to be pulling you up over the use of 'amend'.

soccerc
18/09/2007, 11:39 PM
Another smiley freak. :eek:
It´s just that
your post read 100% (cast iron), that you thought the GAA had to amend something in order to allow friendlies.
That's all, now I see that you just failed to express yourself properly and that you intended to refer to the general Croke Park opening.
I am not that pedandic to be pulling you up over the use of 'amend'.

Don't you mean pedantic? ;)

onenilgameover
19/09/2007, 10:52 AM
untrue - I've turned down friendlies several times and have always been re-invited to purchase tickets for the next gamE

In 2004 you lost you place if you didnt take tickets for the brazil game..The fai's way of selling tickets is clever enough..they almost guarantee raking it in....

geysir
19/09/2007, 11:47 AM
Don't you mean pedantic? ;)
See, I wouldn't even know how to speel the word.

On All Ireland day I heard an interview with Peter Quinn (Croke Park in charge) saying that he has over 2,000 people working in all areas under his supervision on Match Day.
Do the FAI have to arrange and pay for their own security/staff etc under the supervision of the Croke Park Management or is it all included in the rental fee?

citizenerased
19/09/2007, 12:11 PM
they have to get their own people, and good enough for them...how much do they expect to rent croke park out for in fairness, its pretty reasonable considering the FAI will make a 3.5 mill profit..

shaneker
20/09/2007, 4:01 AM
I bought tickets to the last Brazil game (although I couldn't attend due to an emergency). I won't be buying tickets to this one, due to my dissatisfaction with the FAI.

The Swordsman
20/09/2007, 8:52 AM
Don't get it.

People are complaining about a friendly against Brazil:confused:. There will be a friendly on that night anyway - perhaps the FAI should look at teams we can beat like Denmark and Sweden. That way they can lose money when the ground is half empty.

If you don't want to go, dont. If you're worried about losing your block booking, take the tickets and sell them - there will be plenty of takers.

Superhoops
20/09/2007, 10:07 AM
I have no problems with the FAI linking these games to the Block Booking scheme.

However, for friendlies, they should offer a loyalty scheme to Block Bookers by discounting tickets by say 20%, i.e a 50 euro costing 40 euro. Then, if a Block Booker did not want to take the discounted ticket, they would lose their block booking.

This would gives a happy balance between the FAI keeping a reasonable level of revenue and Block Bookers would get benefit and recognition for continued support for every game.

jmurphyc
25/09/2007, 3:31 PM
Hopefully they'll just use the extra revenue gained from this type of game to pay stan off ;) Somehow I doubt it though...

RogerMilla
26/09/2007, 1:26 PM
Hopefully they'll just use the extra revenue gained from this type of game to pay stan off ;) Somehow I doubt it though...

i'd pay a premium on the ticket if that was the case !

Colbert Report
26/09/2007, 5:39 PM
The only way you get better is by playing teams better than you. Who's better than the Brazilians?

pineapple stu
26/09/2007, 5:44 PM
Italy and Argentina (http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/ranking/lastranking/gender=m/fullranking.html).

Also, in chess anyway, you're often advised against playing opponents too much better than you - they'll just hammer you and you'll learn nothing. Like the Holland game.

eirebhoy
26/09/2007, 9:19 PM
I don't know why they didn't go for Argentina. What a team and surely cheaper than Brazil.

gspain
27/09/2007, 8:27 AM
I don't know why they didn't go for Argentina. What a team and surely cheaper than Brazil.

Preobably not the same draw though.

SUB of the day
27/09/2007, 9:46 AM
Couldn't agree more, Argentina are the new Brazil.In the recent Copa, they were sensational( till the final ) playing all the attractive football.

Stuttgart88
27/09/2007, 10:03 AM
and they were beaten 3-0 by Brazil!

Jerry The Saint
28/09/2007, 3:35 PM
they'll just hammer you and you'll learn nothing. Like the Holland game.

Or Cyprus.

osarusan
30/09/2007, 3:56 PM
they'll just hammer you and you'll learn nothing.

Stan's not a chess player I take it.