PDA

View Full Version : Do the FAI do anything right?

tetsujin1979
17/09/2007, 4:27 PM
Serious question, and I'm looking for serious answers, do the FAI do anything right, or is anything under the FAI's jurisdiction being run correctly?

carloz
17/09/2007, 4:29 PM
Well the head of it was given the job because of who his daddy was. If they can do that to the head god knows how the rest got their jobs. Muppets who know nothing about football

OwlsFan
17/09/2007, 4:35 PM
Muppets who know nothing about football

Oh how I love comments like this based upon total ignorance of the set up of the FAI. The vast majority of people in that organisation are made up of "football people" from all levels of the game. See their current proposals for the amateur game in Ireland. See what they have been trying to achieve elsewhere in the game. Don't base your comments on Delaney's poor appointment of Stan etc. Here's the set up in the FAI from their website:
-------------------------

The FAI Council is made up of 60 members, four more than in previous years, and will elect the FAI's President, a number of committee members and will also pass major decisions.

The Board of Management will comprise of ten members, down from 23, and will be made up of the Honorary Secretary, President, Honorary Treasurer, Chief Executive, and the six chairpersons of the Development, International, Domestic, eircom League, Legal/Corporate and Underage committees. The Finance committee will be represented by the Honorary Treasurer rather than selecting a chairperson.

Each chairperson will bring the expertise of their committee to the board meaning the board will hear from all relevant angles before making any decisions.

The seven committees will comprise of 12 members and each will be made up of people with knowledge that will be beneficial to the committee.

Committees will be balanced and represent all stakeholders interests, with a number of committee members elected by council and a further number selected by the CEO, President and Council Representative (other than an officer).

For balance within the committees, the person selected will not be from the same affiliate as the person elected by council, while no one person can sit on more than two committees.

The Chief Executive will also sit as a voting member on the Finance and Legal and Corporate Affairs Committees.

Stuttgart88
17/09/2007, 4:37 PM
I'd also like to ask where Genesis 1 implementation stands, especially given Delaney's assertion that he'd leave if it wasn't effected promptly.

A further slant on Tets' question (a good one if addressed seriously) is whether the technical development plan is a (a) in line with best practice on the continent and (b) being implemented properly. There's no hidden angle here, just curious.

John83
17/09/2007, 4:42 PM
I'd also like to ask where Genesis 1 implementation stands, especially given Delaney's assertion that he'd leave if it wasn't effected promptly.
I'd like to ask that too. Anyone have a copy?

carloz
17/09/2007, 4:43 PM
Oh how I love comments like this based upon total ignorance of the set up of the FAI. The vast majority of people in that organisation are made up of "football people" from all levels of the game. See their current proposals for the amateur game in Ireland. See what they have been trying to achieve elsewhere in the game. Don't base your comments on Delaney's poor appointment of Stan etc. Here's the set up in the FAI from their website:

Im basing my comments on the fact that delaney simply got the job because of who his father was and that is an absolute disgrace. this was Nepotism of the highest order. ****ing disgraceful. And yes i will base my comments a lot on Delaneys appointment of stan. A main aim of his job is to look after international team afairs. promising a World Class manager a delievering the man who put out the training cones for walsall reserves should be a sackable offence. then again he did give himself a 6 year contract:rolleyes:. i realsie Owls Fan that i am being completly unfair on the other institutions in the FAI but i will start my attack at the man at the top.

Bungle
17/09/2007, 6:07 PM
From what I've heard, the FAI have turned themselves into a profit making organisation. This is something to congratulate them on.

However, the profit that they make is off the backs of the ordinary fan who travels the world with the team, buys the merchandise and 10 year block tickets (where they are charged far more than the cost of going to see teams like Germany, Italy or Spain) and support grassroots football the length and breadth of the country.

Those fans (i.e me) deserve better than that. We deserve a top quality manager and coaching team. A good manager would have I believe gotten us out of this group and the FAI would have made even greater profits. As well as that, how can somebody like Stan (albeit a nice man and a great servant) motivate the likes of Givens, Duff Keane and Finnan who are used to top class coaches, let alone the young lads like Gibson, Ireland and Garvan who are breaking through.

If the FAI had any foresight, they would realise that what success you have now, will generally affect your team in 10-15 years. Our underage success in the late 90s was a product of the Charlton era.

These idiots will take the easy option, before being forced into sacking Stan and turning a legend into an even greater laughing stock than he is now. They will then replace him with the "world class" Jayo McCateer.

ofjames
17/09/2007, 6:25 PM
-------------------------

The FAI Council is made up of 60 members, four more than in previous years, and will elect the FAI's President, a number of committee members and will also pass major decisions.

The Board of Management will comprise of ten members, down from 23, and will be made up of the Honorary Secretary, President, Honorary Treasurer, Chief Executive, and the six chairpersons of the Development, International, Domestic, eircom League, Legal/Corporate and Underage committees. The Finance committee will be represented by the Honorary Treasurer rather than selecting a chairperson.

Each chairperson will bring the expertise of their committee to the board meaning the board will hear from all relevant angles before making any decisions.

The seven committees will comprise of 12 members and each will be made up of people with knowledge that will be beneficial to the committee.

Committees will be balanced and represent all stakeholders interests, with a number of committee members elected by council and a further number selected by the CEO, President and Council Representative (other than an officer).

For balance within the committees, the person selected will not be from the same affiliate as the person elected by council, while no one person can sit on more than two committees.

The Chief Executive will also sit as a voting member on the Finance and Legal and Corporate Affairs Committees.

Note the future tense. These are all the recommendations of the genisis report arent they? Why 4 years after the report was published are these stuctures still not in place??

The FAI are a shower of cunnts.

They are a mixture of self-serving wannkstains and incompetent, amateur, bar-stool administrators

John83
17/09/2007, 6:43 PM
Note the future tense.
That's a common way to phrase constitutions and such documents. That's how they work now, I think.

Henry14
17/09/2007, 8:44 PM
You havent a clue- all those WILLs are in place right now. That piece was obviously never changed from proposals

olegunnar
17/09/2007, 9:35 PM
anyone have a relative on the Football For All programme? I do. FAI push this programme that takes into account all kinds of differntly abled players CP, Blind, Deaf, MS, Special Olympics. Almost 3,000 players involved. Thanks to Phelim Macken in FAI.

My younger brother is on Emerging Talent at a league centre; FAI really investing in developing players COUNTRYWIDE. No-one can say international underage players are all Dubs!!

They also had all coaches on summer camps garda vetted and all head coaches had CPR & first aid training.

Yes we all would love to see the Senior team doing well, but that'd be like GAA being judged on quality of All-Ireland Finals? Not so impressive there were they??

Yes, FAI do plenty right; if we see past the Senior team

blackholesun
17/09/2007, 9:50 PM
In fairness the Futsal was well run this year ... even they were forced to run it by UEFA after apparently putting if off for a while ...

koh

bhs

Superhoops
17/09/2007, 11:59 PM
Im basing my comments on the fact that delaney simply got the job because of who his father was and that is an absolute disgrace. this was Nepotism of the highest order. ****ing disgraceful. And yes i will base my comments a lot on Delaneys appointment of stan. A main aim of his job is to look after international team afairs. promising a World Class manager a delievering the man who put out the training cones for walsall reserves should be a sackable offence. then again he did give himself a 6 year contract:rolleyes:. i realsie Owls Fan that i am being completly unfair on the other institutions in the FAI but i will start my attack at the man at the top.

Absolute bullsh*t.

John Delaney took on the job of CEO temporarily after Fran Rooney resigned in 2003. In 2005 he was appointed permanently to the position which was advertised openly. The selection process was administered by an external recrutiment consultantcy and was overseen by the Irish Sports Council. John Treacy, Chief Executive of that council chaired the interviewing panel. Delaney's appointment was approved by the Minister of Arts, Sports and Tourism, John O'Donoghue as the Government would only agree to continue funding for soccer in Ireland, if it was satisfied that the orgainisational structures (which included the appointment of the Executive) being put in place were in line with the recommendations of the Genesis Report.

He did not award himself an 6 year contract. I think you will find it was recommended by the Board of Management (of which Delaney is a member) and approved by the FAI Council.

soccerc
18/09/2007, 12:02 AM
Absolute bullsh*t.

John Delaney took on the job of CEO temporarily after Fran Rooney resigned in 2003. In 2005 he was appointed permanently to the position which was advertised openly. The selection process was administered by an external recrutiment consultantcy and was overseen by the Irish Sports Council. John Treacy, Chief Executive of that council chaired the interviewing panel. Delaney's appointment was approved by the Minister of Arts, Sports and Tourism, John O'Donoghue as the Government would only agree to continue funding for soccer in Ireland, if it was satisfied that the orgainisational structures (which included the appointment of the Executive) being put in place were in line with the recommendations of the Genesis Report.

He did not award himself an 6 year contract. I think you will find it was recommended by the Board of Management (of which Delaney is a member) and approved by the FAI Council.

I know before I even post what your retort Superhoops will be.

However, your post contains a number of significant but fundamental errors.

Superhoops
18/09/2007, 7:35 AM
I know before I even post what your retort Superhoops will be.

However, your post contains a number of significant but fundamental errors.

Always happy to be corrected, so tell us more.

Macy
18/09/2007, 9:18 AM
whether the technical development plan is a (a) in line with best practice on the continent and (b) being implemented properly. There's no hidden angle here, just curious.
How many times has the development plan been launched now, and how many of the regional centres are operational?

Bluebeard
18/09/2007, 12:28 PM
But apart from Development plans, the regional centres, the implementation of aspects of the genesis report, the coaching schemes, keeping Stan out of professional management, the introduction of a proper Under 21 league, sanitation and the road, what have the FAI ever done for us!?

citizenerased
18/09/2007, 12:30 PM
Selling the rights to Sky after the 2002 world Cup?!? shower of c**ts

Macy
18/09/2007, 12:34 PM
Selling the rights to Sky after the 2002 world Cup?!? shower of c**ts
That was one of the few good things they've attempted to do - maximise their revenues to invest in the game after derisory money from RTE. Of course that didn't suit people who watch their football on tele, so their cheerleader corrected matters...

citizenerased
18/09/2007, 12:38 PM
After over 10000 heading to the world cup to support the team, the FAI sell all the games to SKY, not even an irish company...not everyone are fortunate enough to get tickets/afford tickets for the ireland matches like me and you macy and it should be their basic right to watch their national team on terrestorial TV.

shanman2
18/09/2007, 12:47 PM
After over 10000 heading to the world cup to support the team, the FAI sell all the games to SKY, not even an irish company...not everyone are fortunate enough to get tickets/afford tickets for the ireland matches like me and you macy and it should be their basic right to watch their national team on terrestorial TV.

Ya that was shocking and skys coverage is brutal. Them stupid tv3 had it and they murdered the games altogether. One question how is the money allocated and how is it used that FAI make during the year. Grants? those proposed training camps for the underage lads around the country??

Beavis
18/09/2007, 12:48 PM
I thought they did took the fans into consideration by getting the Slovakia and Czech away games together. Also as has been mentioned before the ticket office are usually very accommodating and generally sound.

citizenerased
18/09/2007, 12:52 PM
In fairness I doubt that had anything to do with the fans...it was just how stan agreed the fixtures, at no point was the irish fans travelling itinery considered...ticket office arnt too bad though

Macy
18/09/2007, 1:23 PM
Pay TV doesn't seem to bother the same numpties that were calling Joe Duffy when it comes to "their" club team. The hypocricy of many arguing against that deal was laughable.

BradyIsMyHero
18/09/2007, 2:16 PM
Can the FAI do anything right ?

Yes....they can

- make lots of money from fans through advanced ticket sales, block booking, spurious friendlies "that you must attend or lose your privileges"
- give lots of expenses, free travel and tickets to the blazers
- reduce costs by appointing cheapo cheapo managers (fans will turn up anyway);

These people are geniuses

Ireland4ever
18/09/2007, 3:59 PM
Can the FAI do anything right ?

Yes....they can

- make lots of money from fans through advanced ticket sales, block booking, spurious friendlies "that you must attend or lose your privileges"
- give lots of expenses, free travel and tickets to the blazers
- reduce costs by appointing cheapo cheapo managers (fans will turn up anyway);

These people are geniuses

Too right, one thing that still manages to gall me is the price of tickets....Take for example the Germany V Ireland match.... I was in the german end and the face value price of the ticket was €20!! €20 For a good seat in a world cup stadium... Compare that to €50/70 for a ticket in a stadium where you need binoculars to see the players...disgraceful! Taking advantage at every opportunity.

Dodge
18/09/2007, 4:03 PM
not everyone are fortunate enough to get tickets/afford tickets for the ireland matches like me and you macy and it should be their basic right to watch their national team on terrestorial TV.
Thhink the average viewing figures are about 300,000. Hardly all of Ireland is it. Disgraceful they weren't allowed sell the rights to the highest bidder IMO

And as for the ticket prices :rolleyes: FFS lads get a grip

You can't say the FAI do nothing, and then try and take away their only income...

Bungle
18/09/2007, 6:04 PM
If the FAI were capable of doing anything right, they would take a look at the likes of Poland who hire top class coaches, despite being a far poorer country than Ireland.

When a legend like Trappatoni agrees to manage an Austrian club (can't remember what they're called) - the old argument of "He's such a big name, why would he manage Ireland?" doesn't carry much weight.

Dodge
18/09/2007, 6:43 PM
When a legend like Trappatoni agrees to manage an Austrian club (can't remember what they're called) - the old argument of "He's such a big name, why would he manage Ireland?" doesn't carry much weight.
Thats Red Bull Salzburg and they pay him an absolute fortune. way more than any Irish coach could hpoe for

Bluebeard
19/09/2007, 6:50 AM
Thats Red Bull Salzburg and they pay him an absolute fortune. way more than any Irish coach could hpoe for

Ultimately, you do get what you pay for.