PDA

View Full Version : The Big One: Longford V Limerick37 FC

Pages : [1] 2

L37Ultra
17/09/2007, 1:50 PM
This is what we have been waiting for:)... The 1/4 final of the FAI Cup. Whos going? and what do you think the result will be? I think L37 will get a draw and then win the replay next tuesday :D!! Does anyone have any information on injures etc...?

see's it
17/09/2007, 2:11 PM
3 nil to limerick tierney with a perfect hat trick,left right and a diving header

L37Ultra
18/09/2007, 9:53 AM
3 nil to limerick tierney with a perfect hat trick,left right and a diving header

I like your optimisim!! :D

Lim till i die
18/09/2007, 11:54 AM
2-0 snoozefest I'm afraid

Longfird is feckin cold too boys and girls so don't say you weren't warned :)

L37Ultra
18/09/2007, 11:59 AM
Are there many going on Saturday?

Lim till i die
18/09/2007, 12:13 PM
Are there many going on Saturday?

300 ;)

the hoops
18/09/2007, 12:25 PM
hope we get a draw and a replay cant see us winning up there longford are finding form at the moment

Monkfish
18/09/2007, 3:23 PM
Longfird is feckin cold too boys and girls so don't say you weren't warned :)

Yes and anyone who says plastic is not biodegradable should have a look at the end of the ground we're probably going to be put....:)
Anyway, this makes for interesting reading:

Longford 1/2.
Draw 5/2.
Limerick 5/1.
Not that im confident of us winning at all, but might stick a tenner on, ya never know!!!

Martinho II
18/09/2007, 8:20 PM
are ye guys bringin much of a crowd down for sat nite?

gael353
18/09/2007, 9:24 PM
are ye guys bringin much of a crowd down for sat nite?

The SC are running a bus so hopefully that will fill, plus more fans from Dublin so id say about 60/75

sligoman
18/09/2007, 9:29 PM
I'll be at this with a couple of other Rovers fans[The Stars & deecay]. We can act as peacemaker between the 2 sets of fans;). Think Longford will win it tbh but hope ye put up a good fight...don't forget to bring Leo:p.

gaffer33
18/09/2007, 9:35 PM
Think myself longford will sneak a win,experience at this stage will tell a lot,limerick have a very good right back, blonde fella,2 dodgy centre backs,need to talk to each other,centre mids are strong,fyffe will have a big part to play,was at match friday night against rams..leo the lion might pull ye through..good luck..

Monkfish
19/09/2007, 12:37 AM
I'll be at this with a couple of other Rovers fans[The Stars & deecay]. We can act as peacemaker between the 2 sets of fans;). Think Longford will win it tbh but hope ye put up a good fight...don't forget to bring Leo:p.

Any chance of bringing a Sligo pin badge to add to my collection? il swap ya or give ya the cold hard cash.

see's it
19/09/2007, 6:52 AM
Think myself longford will sneak a win,experience at this stage will tell a lot,limerick have a very good right back, blonde fella,2 dodgy centre backs,need to talk to each other,centre mids are strong,fyffe will have a big part to play,was at match friday night against rams..leo the lion might pull ye through..good luck..

centre mids are strong,what game were you watching on friday? hayes wouldnt get a game on most junior teams in the premier

see's it
19/09/2007, 6:53 AM

centre mids are strong,what game were you watching on friday? hayes wouldnt get a game on most junior teams in the premier

the dazzler
19/09/2007, 6:58 AM

he would get on balla surely

see's it
19/09/2007, 8:06 AM
no he wouldnt

Jofspring
19/09/2007, 10:58 AM
a draw 1-1..........Limerick scoring in the dying minutes to equalise. beat them in jackman. Don't think Longford have much interest in the cup as their main concern is the league at the moment.

joeSoap
19/09/2007, 11:13 AM
a draw 1-1..........Limerick scoring in the dying minutes to equalise. beat them in jackman. Don't think Longford have much interest in the cup as their main concern is the league at the moment.The FAI Cup is a competition that Longford have always taken seriously under Matthews. It represents their only chance of some silverware, and more importantly, a place in the Setanta Cup (ching ching) for the winners.

sligoman
19/09/2007, 11:51 AM
Any chance of bringing a Sligo pin badge to add to my collection? il swap ya or give ya the cold hard cash.Not sure if they sell them in club shop but I'll have a look I suppose if I can.

Lim till i die
19/09/2007, 11:56 AM

Tony Cascarino was at the game Friday night :eek: :eek: :eek:

Sonic
19/09/2007, 12:08 PM
a draw 1-1..........Limerick scoring in the dying minutes to equalise. beat them in jackman. Don't think Longford have much interest in the cup as their main concern is the league at the moment.

Ah dont let it fool you lad. Sure priority is the league but I can definetly say we will put out a team to win!!:D

Monkfish
19/09/2007, 2:58 PM
Not sure if they sell them in club shop but I'll have a look I suppose if I can.

Thanks no panic, only thing is if you dont you'll join Monaghan as the only supporters to let me down this season regarding badges:) good luck!
What about Longford badges? anyone?

Jofspring
19/09/2007, 3:53 PM
Ah dont let it fool you lad. Sure priority is the league but I can definetly say we will put out a team to win!!:D

until limerick win then ye'll be saying ye weren't pushed for the cup any way :p ;)

KevB76
19/09/2007, 5:21 PM
Rossi to miss Longford game + Athlone :

"Ross Cosgrave (Limerick 37) suspended for TWO (2) competitive matches and fined €50 as a result of being sent off v Douglas Hall (22.08.07).

Automatic suspension in next FAI Ford Cup match to be served and ONE (1) competitive match as and from Wednesday, 19th September "

I thought he already served a suspension for the Shels game - can anyone confirm :confused:

(Correction - The Athlone game is postponed so he'll miss Kildare)

Lim till i die
19/09/2007, 7:51 PM
Rossi to miss Longford game + Athlone :

"Ross Cosgrave (Limerick 37) suspended for TWO (2) competitive matches and fined €50 as a result of being sent off v Douglas Hall (22.08.07).

Automatic suspension in next FAI Ford Cup match to be served and ONE (1) competitive match as and from Wednesday, 19th September "

I thought he already served a suspension for the Shels game - can anyone confirm :confused:

No but I can confirm he's a lucky, lucky boy

Two games :eek:

shelbourne1904
20/09/2007, 8:49 AM

Are you sure it wasnt Limerick City or one of the many other Limericks you saw??The strongest part of L37 is the 2 centrebacks and the weakest is the central midfield who lack the slightest hint of creativity and neither can be accused of being tough and uncompromising defensively??????Fyffe can save some good one on ones though.Didnt Lonford loose their last two games despite a good run before that??However the home advantage will be a huge bebefit.A draw at best for L37.

L37Ultra
20/09/2007, 9:04 AM
,limerick have a very good right back, blonde fella

I never thought id see the day!! I always knew Peter White was on foot:p

gael353
20/09/2007, 7:28 PM
Are you sure it wasnt Limerick City or one of the many other Limericks you saw??The strongest part of L37 is the 2 centrebacks and the weakest is the central midfield who lack the slightest hint of creativity and neither can be accused of being tough and uncompromising defensively??????Fyffe can save some good one on ones though.Didnt Lonford loose their last two games despite a good run before that??However the home advantage will be a huge bebefit.A draw at best for L37.

you are a limerick fan right?

shelbourne1904
20/09/2007, 8:22 PM
you are a limerick fan right?

I would like to see Limerick 37 be in the top 3 clubs in the country where they should always have been but I personally dont do enough to earn the title "fan".

Monkfish
21/09/2007, 7:31 AM
I personally dont do enough to earn the title "fan".

Come with me my young apprentice:)

sligoman
22/09/2007, 1:39 PM
Thanks no panic, only thing is if you dont you'll join Monaghan as the only supporters to let me down this season regarding badges:) good luck!Never let it be said we're as bad as Monaghan...we've got you a badge;)

clubman
22/09/2007, 11:08 PM
Never let it be said we're as bad as Monaghan...we've got you a badge;)

Ha Ha:D

sligoman
23/09/2007, 1:28 AM
5-xqH6u8btA

RonnieB
23/09/2007, 9:31 AM
Looks like we avoided a potential banana skin! <I'll get me coat!>s

Magicme
23/09/2007, 12:16 PM
Thanks no panic, only thing is if you dont you'll join Monaghan as the only supporters to let me down this season regarding badges:) good luck!

Feck off ya chancer! I got you a jubilee badge and a Show Racism the Red Card one. Thats gratitude for ya.

Oh and hard luck last nite.

L37Ultra
23/09/2007, 10:03 PM
Well done to all the Limerick fans who travelled up to Longford on Saturday. It was a proud day to see so many fans there and the Atmosphere was excellent. I felt the result was an unfair reflection on Limericks performance and I would love to see Longfords first goal again as I was pretty sure it was offside. Despite the result the team played played well in my opinion and I thought Wayne Colbert was class last night. Also good to see a bench full of U-21 players. They are the future of this club and are a talented bunch. Even though we lost I took a lot of positives from last night in Longford. The future looks bright :cool:

gael353
23/09/2007, 11:25 PM
Looks like we avoided a potential banana skin! <I'll get me coat!>s

speaking of a coat, if ye find mine up where the limerick fans were id appriciate it :cool:

redron
23/09/2007, 11:47 PM
I thought we played quite well overall.
Although Longford were slightly the better team most of the way through, and had the clearest of the chances, I thought we defended well and put some nice moves together and generally held them well until they scored their first (which was slightly against the run of play at that time). Once they scored however, they upped their game and dominated most of the rest of the match.

The biggest difference between the two teams was experience.
Longford are playing Premier Division teams week-in-week-out. Even if they were (until a month ago) losing most of those matches, the experience of playing at that level is something that our lads simply don't have.

Still, a good performance from our lads in their shiny white jerseys.
(As an aside, how many times have we played in white this season?)

feo123
24/09/2007, 12:00 AM
thought the no.14 was decent when he came on, took the penalty well too.

Lim till i die
24/09/2007, 7:52 AM
I felt the result was an unfair reflection on Limericks performance and I would love to see Longfords first goal again as I was pretty sure it was offside.

1000% onside in fairness, I was more or less level with it

Despite the result the team played played well in my opinion and I thought Wayne Colbert was class last night

Indeed he was, Carthy was bloody decent aswell

The biggest difference between the two teams was experience.

Agreed to an extent

Longfords goals were superbly taken

Even Jamie fcukin Duffys one ;)

(As an aside, how many times have we played in white this season?)

Once :)

gspain
24/09/2007, 9:31 AM
I was pretty much in line with the first goal and thought Baker was offside when the ball was played through..

The 3rd goal scored by number 11 was clearly miles offside and a shocking decision.

The linesman looked way overweight and in each case was in a terrible position to judge. For the quarter final of the cup you'd expect proper officials.

I thought we played very well and were worth a draw

Lim till i die
24/09/2007, 9:58 AM
I was pretty much in line with the first goal and thought Baker was offside when the ball was played through..

We'll have to agree to differ :)

The 3rd goal scored by number 11 was clearly miles offside and a shocking decision.

Thought the fella the ball was played to in the build up was on by a couple of yards tbh. After that it's a question of whether the guy in the middle was interfering.

As SLK pointed out to me at the time if it was down the other end and was given offside we would have been raving.

The flip side of all this of course is that our penalty was dubious to say the least :)

sligoman
24/09/2007, 10:32 AM
The flip side of all this of course is that our penalty was dubious to say the least :)Yeah but ye should have had one in the first half too;)

Lim till i die
24/09/2007, 10:42 AM
Yeah but ye should have had one in the first half too;)

Aye but on the balance Longford probably deserved it :)

sligoman
24/09/2007, 10:59 AM
Aye but on the balance Longford probably deserved it :)I'd have to agree with that. Although it was one of the worst games I've seen in ages, really no incidents or clear cut chances for the most part. Thought it was gonna head to a replay and then it bursted into life in last 20 mins. Turned it into a good game in the end but really, the Apache pizza slices was the highlight for me:D.

Lim till i die
24/09/2007, 11:11 AM
Turned it into a good game in the end but really, the Apache pizza slices was the highlight for me:D.

Especially considering Monkfish hadn't the decency to bring you a Limerick badge ;) :p

KevB76
24/09/2007, 12:27 PM

The linesman looked way overweight and in each case was in a terrible position to judge. For the quarter final of the cup you'd expect proper officials.

I thought we played very well and were worth a draw

There was a guy offside in the build up to the first goal but another player ran onto the ball from an onside position and caught us out cos we were expecting the offside to be called, but he wasn't interfering with play at that point. The annoying thing was we had done the same to them only minutes before so maybe our guys should have been more alert to it.

Their second goal was class.

Their third goal I thought was offiside - again not the player running through and getting the cross in, but the the two waiting in the box for the tap-in were both ahead of our last defender I thought.

Our penalty was very soft, but we should have blatantly had one earlier so I've no guilt about it.

Overall I was very pleased with the way we played, 4-5-1 was negative but appropriate and we were by no means pinned back in defence, I thought we looked comfortable for most of the match.

The final scoreline was disappointing, I thought 2-1 would have been fair and more palletable.

One worrying stat is that in the last five games now we've only scored from penalties. Why do we always have to walk it in ? - more shots please :ball:

see's it
24/09/2007, 4:11 PM
anybody know who the subs were the other night?

gspain
24/09/2007, 4:14 PM
Number 11 was offside when the ball was played over the top. The guy on the right wing was onside. When he crossed the ball number 11 was even still ahead of him and offside again but also would have become active from the first ball. Therefore he was offside on 2 counts.

Have to disagree on Baker's goal. He was offside when the ball was played IMO. Appreciate we have differen topinions but the linesman's poor position made the decision a lottery anyway,