PDA

View Full Version : Ireland Germany Fans Fest

Pages : [1] 2

soccerc
16/09/2007, 8:30 PM
Last Year in Stuttgart German Fans arranged a Fan Fest before the game.

They invited Ireland supporters along and provided cheapish beer, hot food and music and it was not a bad day.

At the time they asked could we arrange something similar and plans are in train.

So far it looks like we will have subsidised bar with pints of a certain brewery running at around the €3 to €3.50 mark.

Hot food such as Hotdogs, Burgers, Pizza etc at very reasonable cost

Live Music/ DJ

Transport to and from Croker and a bar extension that night.

The Germans are up for it and expect to bring a minimum of 500 to the event

The question is Would many of you be interested in coming along on the day of the game against Germany at Croker?

Schumi
16/09/2007, 8:33 PM
Great idea, I'd definitely go to that. The one in Stuttgart was great.

Transport to and from Croker and a bar extension that night.How far from Croker is it likely to be?

soccerc
16/09/2007, 8:35 PM
Great idea, I'd definitely go to that. The one in Stuttgart was great.

How far from Croker is it likely to be?

Not more than 15 minutes on a Saturday evening

soccerc
17/09/2007, 3:07 PM
Bump

MODS

Can this be made a sticky?

AidoM
17/09/2007, 3:26 PM
................. and plans are in train.

Who's organising it and for where? :confused: Is there official FAI or Dublin City Council involvement :eek:

soccerc
17/09/2007, 3:33 PM
Who's organising it and for where? :confused: Is there official FAI or Dublin City Council involvement :eek:

I am organising it with help and assistance from one other to date and a very willing host/partner.

No, the FAI are not involved. The relationship arose from contacts I had with German Fans from 2004. They, the Germans, contacted the FAI last year about the Stuttgart event but never even received a reply.

It was then they asked me to get involved in bringing Ireland fans to their pre-match party.

Just to add, there will be a charity aspect to the event with one former Ireland international to date volunteering his legs for a shave/wax and if you saw his legs you'd understand his trepidation

pineapple stu
17/09/2007, 5:44 PM
Was there in Stuttgart; definitely interested again.

Will bring my replacement Christy Moore CD that I gave away in Stuttgart if you want! :)

soccerc
17/09/2007, 5:48 PM
Will bring my replacement Christy Moore CD that I gave away in Stuttgart if you want! :)

No need Stu, venue has plenty of music available:cool:

soccerc
17/09/2007, 10:25 PM
Just to answer a few questions.

1. The event in Stuttgart was fully funded and supported by DFB through their German Fans initiative.

2. They tried to get co-operation from the FAi but the emails were never answered.

3. German Fans derived from both the el fans on the north terrace at Lansdowne and also the ill fated but not ill conceived Ireland fans club.

4. Some of us agreed last year to reciprocate. I've contacted those who intimated they would help to no avial so I've gone out on my own with the help and encouragement of one other.

5. Two venues were approached, both EL Club connected. Only one bothered to follow up while the other wa sin contact promising full co-operation but nothing materialised.

6. I was recently contacted by my German Fans source asking me what if any arrangements were in play as they were anxious to have a meet on the afternoon of the game to have a few beers, some food, swap merchandise etc so Ia grred to try and put it together.

7. A former international has agreed to participate in a leg shave/wax as I hope to generate funds for a little known but very effective charity - Headway who I am intimately aware of.

8. If anyone would like to come on board please PM me or respond to this post.

One final but unrelated point is that it could act as a forum meeting place for those concerned about recent events and possible future actions.

dublinwanderer
21/09/2007, 2:40 PM
any venue decided yet???

soccerc
21/09/2007, 2:43 PM
any venue decided yet???

Provisionally McDowell's/Richmond Park with transport from city centre and back to Croker on the day

Saint Tom
23/09/2007, 12:34 PM
good man soccerc count me in

Hibs4Ever
26/09/2007, 2:58 PM
Provisionally McDowell's/Richmond Park with transport from city centre and back to Croker on the day

Sounds interesting alright, I'd say me + 3 more would be interested

green army
26/09/2007, 4:30 PM
would be interested

soccerc
26/09/2007, 6:08 PM
The event will be in McDowell's beside Richmond Park, Inchicore home of St Patrick's Athletic from 1pm til late. I was unable to source any other suitable venue, but this venue is appropriate, as it is an eircom League of Ireland ground

To facilitate supporters of both country’s coaches will collect fans in Dublin City centre starting at 1pm and then from 6pm over to Croke Park, and if they want back to McDowell’s post game.

Hot food such as Hotdogs, Burgers, Pizza will be provided/available at reasonable cost together with beer promotions while there will also be Live Music/ DJ for entertainment.

The Germans expect to bring a minimum of 500 to the event and I expect similar numbers of Ireland fans to attend. I have a commitment from the Midlands Supporters Club to bring 80-100 of their members along.

There will be a charity aspect to the day raising much needed funding for Headway Ireland with former Ireland international Richard Sadlier agreeing to have his legs shaved in public. I also hope to have a current player partake in some manner.

Additionally, Stephen Quinn' donated his No 8 shirt from the recent U21 game against Portugal for auction. It will be verified as match worn by Stephen himself along with an A4 sized photo of him wearing the shirt during that game. There will be a signed Ireland shirt for auction also.

Cosmo
26/09/2007, 7:42 PM
If I can persuade a couple of mates that i go with to the matches to go up, I'll be up! Stuck a link on the drogs forum too for ye too ;)

Schumi
27/09/2007, 11:06 AM
Sounds great. I'll definitely go, should be able to bring a few more too. How are you going to fit 1,000 in McDowell's though? Are you going to open a back door into Richmond? It might allow a repeat of the football match from Stuttgart. :D

Desyf
27/09/2007, 1:23 PM
Sounds great. I'll definitely go, should be able to bring a few more too. How are you going to fit 1,000 in McDowell's though? Are you going to open a back door into Richmond? It might allow a repeat of the football match from Stuttgart. :D

Good question :)

soccerc
27/09/2007, 7:27 PM
Richie Sadlier has had to withdraw his services so we now have no one for the celebrity leg shave:(

NeilMcD
28/09/2007, 1:12 PM
How about Steve Staunton and keep him there until after the game.

soccerc
28/09/2007, 1:35 PM
How about Steve Staunton and keep him there until after the game.

Very helpful and intuitive suggestion there

Kingdom
28/09/2007, 1:42 PM
Curtis fleming? Former Pats man and surely a bit grizzly? You could try someone like Dolan into a charity hotdog eating contest>

soccerc
28/09/2007, 1:45 PM
Curtis fleming? Former Pats man and surely a bit grizzly? You could try someone like Dolan into a charity hotdog eating contest>

Just as inane as the previous post.

If you have nothing constructive to say, why bother replying?

Kingdom
28/09/2007, 1:53 PM
Just as inane as the previous post.

If you have nothing constructive to say, why bother replying?

I was serious about the Curtis Fleming bit! Does there have to be a former international doing a charity bit? Why not get a presenter (Trevor Welch?) or maybe try one of the apres match dudes (seem to remember them doing a sketch in richmond before?).

Seems like a good idea soccerc and if our group of 4 would be up for it, I wouldn't mind going along.

soccerc
28/09/2007, 1:58 PM
I was serious about the Curtis Fleming bit! Does there have to be a former international doing a charity bit? Why not get a presenter (Trevor Welch?) or maybe try one of the apres match dudes (seem to remember them doing a sketch in richmond before?).

Seems like a good idea soccerc and if our group of 4 would be up for it, I wouldn't mind going along.

The charity aspect is important to me for very personal reasons and was instrumental in me organising the event.

It doesn't have to be a former international but it would help in terms of pre event media publicity.

Added to that, a bit of diversion on the day could result in attendees dropping a few coins into a bucket for Headway.

Kingdom
28/09/2007, 2:01 PM
The charity aspect is important to me for very personal reasons and was instrumental in me organising the event.

It doesn't have to be a former international but it would help in terms of pre event media publicity.

Added to that, a bit of diversion on the day could result in attendees dropping a few coins into a bucket for Headway.

fair enough. There are plenty of former southside internationals. Would Paul McGrath be too obvious a choice - bearing in mind it would be in McDowells? What about Aldrige. Not short of a few quid, comes across as a decent skin.

soccerc
28/09/2007, 2:05 PM
fair enough. There are plenty of former southside internationals. Would Paul McGrath be too obvious a choice - bearing in mind it would be in McDowells? What about Aldrige. Not short of a few quid, comes across as a decent skin.

You'd be surprised at some who were contacted through third parties who agreed subject to a fee! not Aldo or McGrath who I understand may have other commitments that day.

Cosmo
29/09/2007, 9:58 AM
You'd be surprised at some who were contacted through third parties who agreed subject to a fee!

W@nkers :mad:

Btw I agree with the steve staunton suggestion :D

Schumi
29/09/2007, 5:53 PM
Tbh soccerc, I'd say most people wouldn't mind paying a couple of quid into the event if it's going to charity.

sylvo
30/09/2007, 2:50 PM
What about maybe a match v the German fans before the event takes place, maybe that saturday morning, I'm sure some of them would be up for it.

I'm going to get in touch with the RISSC, i'm sure they have read the thread by now, but i'm sure they will put the event in the next newsletter.

soccerc
02/10/2007, 12:31 PM
Got this email from DFB today.

We are the the "Fan Club Nationalmannschaft", the official supporters club of our national football-team.

It is great what you are planning in Dublin as a sign of "Fan-Friendship". We will put an advice about the Fan Fest on our website, so that all members of the german fan club are informed. And by the end of this week we will send a newsletter to all fans about your activity.

I hope that therefore many away-fans will join the Fan Fest in Dublin.

Let me you know if we can do something to promote your fan-friendly activity."

Sligo Hornet
02/10/2007, 1:07 PM
Got this email from DFB today.

We are the the "Fan Club Nationalmannschaft", the official supporters club of our national football-team.

It is great what you are planning in Dublin as a sign of "Fan-Friendship". We will put an advice about the Fan Fest on our website, so that all members of the german fan club are informed. And by the end of this week we will send a newsletter to all fans about your activity.

I hope that therefore many away-fans will join the Fan Fest in Dublin.

Let me you know if we can do something to promote your fan-friendly activity."

Let us win the Game, and arrange for Stan to be arrested for loitering with No intent!;)

soccerc
03/10/2007, 8:53 PM
Both these shirts will be auctioned in aid of Headway as part of the Ireland German Fan Meet in McDowells on 13 October

The first is a 2007 home replica shirt signed by the squad.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1001/1479237592_84fbb5a922.jpg

The second is Stephen Quinn's match worn No 8 shirt from the u21 game V Portugal in Cork

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1002/1478378373_1e9ff20a81.jpg

There are reserves on both.

citizenerased
05/10/2007, 12:43 PM
fair play to ya soccerc!! ya try brian kerr, he would do it..or try keith o'Neill

soccerc
05/10/2007, 12:54 PM
fair play to ya soccerc!! ya try brian kerr,

No, he wouldn't :D

Last Year in Stuttgart German Fans arranged a Fan Fest before the game.

They invited Ireland supporters along and provided cheapish beer, hot food and music and it was not a bad day.

A number of Ireland football fans have organised a return leg in Dublin ahead of the Ireland V Germany game in Croke Park on Saturday 13 October in McDowell's Inchicore, beside Richmond Park, home of St Patrick's Athletic from 1pm 'til late.

To facilitate supporters of both country's coaches will collect fans in Dublin City centre starting at 1pm and then from 6pm over to Croke Park for the game, and if they want back to McDowell's aprés match. (Small charge of €5 applies unless I can secure some sponsorship)

Hot food such as Hotdogs, Burgers, Pizza will be provided/available at reasonable cost together with beer promotion, Guinness and Carlsberg, with the first 100 arriving being offered their first pint free.

There will be a charity aspect to the day raising much needed funding for Headway Ireland with, former St Pat's player, Clondalkin's Stephen Quinn donating his No 8 shirt from the recent U21 game against Portugal for auction.

There will be a signed Ireland shirt for auction too. YOu may bid confidentially by either PM'ing or emailing me and your bid will be placed on the table on the day.

I also gave a set of Canal End tickets for both the Germany and Cyprus games, face value €100 the pair and they will be inclused in the raffle.

All those attending will be encouraged to make a small donation towards Headway who provide services to people with Acquired Brain Injury..

The German FA have endorsed the event emailing all their fans who bought tickets for the game with the details.

This initiative offers a unique match day experience for both sets of fans and there will be badges, t-shirts and caps distributed free.

Dodge
05/10/2007, 1:13 PM
Great initiative soccerc. I'd say there'd be no problem with bucket collections for headway on the day. Maybe not the formal fundraising you were looking for but 2/3 a head is nothing when they're saving that each round....

soccerc
05/10/2007, 1:18 PM
Great initiative soccerc. I'd say there'd be no problem with bucket collections for headway on the day. Maybe not the formal fundraising you were looking for but 2/3 a head is nothing when they're saving that each round....

Formal?

Not a chance, it's up to each individual and while I would encourage it I am certainly not going to be in peoples faces in what afterall is a fun project with a slightly serious angle.

Dodge
05/10/2007, 1:39 PM
Sorry, assumed that the headshave was to be sponsored. Either way, excellent initiative and excellent charity. I hope its suitably supported

scousedub
06/10/2007, 12:38 PM
small write up in the Star this morning, should hopefully increase the numbers.

pineapple stu
06/10/2007, 12:46 PM
Just remembered I'm up in Derry on the Friday, so whether I make it out now depends on what bus back I get.

Convenient given I still owe soccerc a pint! :p

Cosmo
06/10/2007, 7:57 PM
small write up in the Star this morning, should hopefully increase the numbers.

I wouldve thought something like this deserves more coverage than what was in todays star ffs

Anyway a few of us from drogheda defo heading up, so see youse up there :)!!

eirebhoy
07/10/2007, 10:37 AM
Anyway a few of us from drogheda defo heading up, so see youse up there :)!!
You'll be heading in the wrong direction. ;)

John2626
08/10/2007, 11:53 AM
Absolute great idea and ill be there for sure. Heading along with six mates, including a very good German pal (whos a VFB Stuttgart fan).

At least we can repay the German fans for the amazing welcome we received over there. Will also spread the word to anyone I know thats around town on saturday and going to the game.

Been out to Richmond alot be dont remember the bar, will it be big enough to accommodate everyone. Just worried that this thing takes off and its swamped come Saturday.

Absolute disgrace that the FAI are AGAIN doing nothing that looks like hard work!!!!!

Ireland4ever
08/10/2007, 12:54 PM
No, he wouldn't :D

The German FA have endorsed the event emailing all their fans who bought tickets for the game with the details.

See this is what a proper FA does, not just happy with raking in the money, they actually try and help out the ordinary fan.

co. down green
10/10/2007, 12:38 PM
bandwagon jumpers !!

http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2492

No mention of a contribution to the event or charity.

soccerc for the FAI chief exec. job !!

DmanDmythDledge
10/10/2007, 12:43 PM
No mention of a contribution to the event or charity.

A number of novelty events for charity are planned. The organisation Headway Ireland has been nominated as the principal beneficiary of any funds raised. The organisation serves those whose lives have been affected by such as brain haemorrhages and strokes.

Richard Sadlier, the former Irish international, has agreed to take part in the money-raising events and Stephen Quinn's No 8 shirt from the recent U21 game against Portugal will be offered for auction.

Paul McGrath has also presented the organisers with a signed shirt and a signed copy of his book for the event.

co. down green
10/10/2007, 12:47 PM

Are the FAI organising or contributing to the charity events?

Sligo Hornet
10/10/2007, 12:55 PM
Are the FAI organising or contributing to the charity events?

Yes.....they're sending Stephen Ireland to do a Q & A session, with all proceeds going to Help the Aged!:D

soccerc
10/10/2007, 1:03 PM
Yes.....they're sending Stephen Ireland to do a Q & A session, with all proceeds going to Help the Aged!:D

Highly unwelcome and unnecessary comment

soccerc
10/10/2007, 1:25 PM
Just an update to confirm the pick up point in Dublin City centre for those wishing to attend the Ireland Germany Fan Fest in McDowell's Inchicore.

The coaches will depart from the Clifton Court Hotel on Eden Quay ( location just off O'Connell Bridge heading east along the river Liffey) starting at 1pm Irish time