PDA

View Full Version : Doctor slams X Factor 'freak show' for 'abusing' contestants

Ringo
16/09/2007, 7:07 AM
A Clinical psychologist has lambasted the popular X Factor television show for publicly ridiculing people who he believes suffer from psychiatric illnesses and learning disabilities.

Speaking about an increasing level of bullying in a number of prime-time television shows, Dr Mark Harrold criticised the programme's format, which he says has been purposely designed to showcase people who have various mental deficiencies.

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/news-gossip/doctor-slams-x-factor-freak-show-for-abusing-contestants-1081453.html

Must admit ,i've felt uncomfortable , watching how some people have been treated, with obvious problems.

Jock MIB
16/09/2007, 7:17 AM
A Clinical psychologist has lambasted the popular X Factor television show for publicly ridiculing people who he believes suffer from psychiatric illnesses and learning disabilities.

Speaking about an increasing level of bullying in a number of prime-time television shows, Dr Mark Harrold criticised the programme's format, which he says has been purposely designed to showcase people who have various mental deficiencies.

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/news-gossip/doctor-slams-x-factor-freak-show-for-abusing-contestants-1081453.html

Must admit ,i've felt uncomfortable , watching how some people have been treated, with obvious problems.

Don't blame show, they are only judging what is in front of them.... what about the friends and family who let them go to auditions like this, they are not protecting them either?

Ringo
16/09/2007, 9:36 AM
Don't blame show, they are only judging what is in front of them.... what about the friends and family who let them go to auditions like this, they are not protecting them either?

Thats a very good point, but the judges take the pi$$ out of them. I suppose families don't want to hurt their children, by not letting the have a go, just like anyone else. Could be handled better by the judges.

Lionel Ritchie
16/09/2007, 10:58 AM

They're not. The doc makes the point that the judges themselves don't check out everyone coming to the auditions. There are pre-auditions where selection takes place of those who'll make it to the next level where they'll get a crit from the tv judging panel.

Individuals are deliberately chosen at that stage -not for their talent but their lack of it. This is done largely to give the show it's "comedy" :rolleyes: value which is built on shredding the possibly low self esteem of often vulnerable people who've signed a release (possibly under duress of being turned away) allowing whatever's said about them to be broadcast.

pete
16/09/2007, 11:45 AM
I have no interest in these shows but I do get the impression the producers manipulate people to make a TV show. If viewers did not watch it they would not show it so can't just blame the TV company.

A face
16/09/2007, 3:03 PM
Its a race to the bottom with some of these shows, they are complete tripe anyway. Dont understand how anyone looks at them to be honest.

Jock MIB
16/09/2007, 5:10 PM
I have no interest in these shows but I do get the impression the producers manipulate people to make a TV show. If viewers did not watch it they would not show it so can't just blame the TV company.

i think contestants manipulate these competitions to get there 10 mins of fame, here they worked hand in hand.... people who go on these programs who are really bad must know they are bad... so its there own fault that they get to made stupid on tv.. for the people with low esteem and other mental problems i believe they have been let down by alot of people and all should take equally responsibility for putting them in this vunrelable situation from the tv show to judges to family to friends to audience who all say the best part of show is the auditions..

Bluebeard
17/09/2007, 12:33 PM
It's a bit rich of the doctor to come out with that - as everyone knows these days, you have to have at least applied for one of those shows to qualify as having a psychiatric illnesses...