PDA

View Full Version : Pat Jennings

pineapple stu
21/04/2003, 10:49 PM
Don't know quite what to make of Jennings yet. Apparently (couldn't make the game this evening) he pulled off another fantastic save to keep us in the match, along with several in Dalyer and a few good saves against Cork, but he looks even more nervy than me under the high ball (and that's saying something!)

Hopefully he'll grow in confidence now he's in the first team, but it's a little worrying how much he'll flap at times. Can't do the defence much good...

UCD_4_Life
21/04/2003, 10:53 PM
One thing that I've noticed about him is that he talks to the defence a lot more (not thats done much good!). This is something that I don't remember Judas Bazza doing.

I can't say that I've noticed him being nervous when it comes to crosses or anything and it hasn't cost us a goal yet. Wait and see I guess.

@ndy
22/04/2003, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by pineapple stu
Don't know quite what to make of Jennings yet.

Is he as good as his dad?

Schumi
22/04/2003, 1:26 PM
He made a damn good save in the second half but he dropped a few crosses. Luckily none of them cost us a goal but I hope he gets that sorted out soon because that's happened in the three games so far.

Aberdonian Stu
22/04/2003, 1:34 PM
Like his two predecessors Jennings has shown his raw talent in his opening games as first choice keeper. He needs a season as first choice to iron out the few creases in his game (cringe) which is exactly what happened with Shay and Bazza.

Don't forget that after his brief run two years ago, where he stood in for Bazza, the likes of Macker and co reckoned he'd take over early in the following season only Bazza decided to go and have two fantastic seasons leaving Pat on the sideline.

What a lot of out players need now is a confidence boost, of all the players on the pitch Jennings is the most confident.

A lot of the lads are trying but just not getting anywhere and this harms their game mentally. Seán Finn is a classic example, the lad has really given it a go in the early games but he just can't get it together and he needs a bit of luck to put him back on the right track.

@ndy
22/04/2003, 2:31 PM
Originally posted by Schumi
He made a damn good save in the second half but he dropped a few crosses. Luckily none of them cost us a goal but I hope he gets that sorted out soon because that's happened in the three games so far.

Yeah...Stephen Joyce made a good quip, the second time he did it yesterday with a shot or cross...he'd catch..drop and grab to his chest...the quip was

'Another great double save from Jennings from the one shot!'

pineapple stu
22/04/2003, 7:37 PM
I remember Bazza against Waterford a few years back dropping a cross under no pressure at all at a Waterford player's feet. Hopefully, Pat can make as much progress as Bazza did, and we'll be sorted at the back. Just hope he does it quickly! :(

By the way, anybody see Pat Jennings at the match last night? The Irish Times said he was in the stands.

John83
23/04/2003, 9:02 AM
By the way, anybody see Pat Jennings at the match last night? The Irish Times said he was in the stands.

And on the pitch? Hot dang! A keeper who can be in two places at once would be handy. ;)

@ndy
23/04/2003, 10:21 AM

Excellent...i hope he heard the song :)

John83
23/04/2003, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by @ndy
Excellent...i hope he heard the song :)

Yeah, but what would he think of it? :p

@ndy
23/04/2003, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by John83
Yeah, but what would he think of it? :p

A catchy tune perhaps???? :S

John83
23/04/2003, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by @ndy
A catchy tune perhaps???? :S

Perhaps. If we do see him at a match in the future, I think a rendition of "There's only two Pat Jennings" is in order.

pineapple stu
23/04/2003, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by John83
And on the pitch? Hot dang! A keeper who can be in two places at once would be handy. ;)

Not going to be too handy if one of those places is in the stands though!:D

Presume the song is the "Are you as good as yer da?" one?

@ndy
23/04/2003, 1:06 PM
Presume the song is the "Are you as good as yer da?" one?

Bohemian Rhapsody