PDA

View Full Version : Mick's Reaction to Shelbourne Result

passinginterest
14/09/2007, 10:40 AM
I feel it would be a shame not to share this with everyone. Wexford Youths = Italy, the man has a dream and some serious passion (and may be a little delusional).
From the Wexford People
(http://www.wexfordpeople.ie/sport/other-sports/another-special-night-for-youths-1080120.html)

Friday night at home to Shelbourne was yet another special night in what has been an unforgettable season for the Wexford Youths, and for me, blended into it was a beautiful evening in the San Siro in Milan on Saturday where Italy played France in a European championship qualifier, writes Mick Wallace.

A drive back to Dublin on Friday after the game, a couple of hours sleep, the airport, in Milan before ten in the morning, nervous about Italy, and the Shelbourne game still racing through my head.

Trying to put shape on the game in general, making sense of our lapses of concentration at the back, our failure to add to Johnny Flynn-O'Connor's goal, all the wonderful things we did in between that were rewarded in themselves if not on the scoresheet.

Of course the result matters and I certainly don't like losing, but if that was all that mattered, not many aspects of life would be pursued to their conclusion. There's a line from a Bruce Springsteen song which goes; down here it's all winners and losers and don't get caught on the wrong side of that line'.

I don't see life in such sad black and white terms and believe in the human spirit's capacity to carry on relentlessly through adversity. No matter what, I believe in the essence of that never say die approach to all the challenges that life may offer, beautifully, captured by Shakespeare in Macbeth when the doubting and weakening Macbeth, is scolded by his indomitable wife - stick to your task and you'll not fail' .

The Wexford Youths are not for turning and as ever, we will build on the positives that we take from the game we've just lost.

Pa Doyle and Danny Furlong are still under-18 next season, Anthony Rossiter and Anthon Russell were immense at the back.

Liam O'Loughlin and Conor Sinnott would have looked good in any team, Darren Browne's sheer courage and spirit against the odds and the critics speaks volumes for the man, Eric Bradley is well off the pace but showed buckets of promise, and club captain, Johnny Flynn-O'Connor scored. And that is three in a row for Johnny, following the Lifford and Kerry under-21 games.

As manager of course I must deal with the disappointment of the result as well, I have to deal as well I can with the disappointment of all the players around the ground who didn't make the squad, the disappointment of Gareth Larkin and Richie Fitzgerald who did well in Dundalk but didn't get a run on Friday night.

But my God we were playing Shelbourne in Wexford. They qualified for the Champions League last season. And we lived with them all over the park. And the home crowd were magnificent . It was with such emotions that I entered the San Siro stadium on Saturday night to watch my beloved world champions play in the most beautiful football arena on the planet. And how beautiful it was. They didn't win either but served up a feast of football as they drew with the equally brilliant French side, probably the two best sides in the world today.

It was Italy's first big game at home since they won the World Cup last summer and what a reception from the passionate 82,900. Passion and strength of will were in abundance, with these players last summer, adding to their immense talent, as they overcame adversity by the bucketful - scandal, corruption, bribing, mafia - they rose through it all and in their semi-final with Germany, gave one of the greatest displays the game has ever seen.

With emotions in the stadium already running high, added to this before the game even started was the nerve tingling tribute to Pavarotti. The whole stadium stood and applauded as they played two of his songs and it was as if they had lost someone from their own family.

The beautiful game began as I let my imagination run wild and saw Rossi for Cannavaro, Russell for Barzagli and Lawlor for Oddo. Patsy was a ringer for Gattuso, Marty Kelly for De Rossi while Conor Sinnott sprayed the ball around in the persons of Pirlo, Locki was Zambrotta on the left, Gavin Doyle, Camoranesi on the right. Up front, Darren Browne was a slower version of Inzaghi and Johnny Flynn-O'Connor a younger version of Del Piero.

The Wexford Youths and Italy games brought me a lot of pleasure - my soul is entwined with theirs and long may it be so.

n Trials for the Wexford Football League U-18s will take place at 10.30 a.m. on Sunday, September 23. Names will be in next week's paper.

G-Man
14/09/2007, 11:20 AM
Wexford Youths, World Champions 2010! you heard it here first!:D

Red Youth
14/09/2007, 11:55 AM
Legendary stuff, to be able to directly compare the World Champions and Wexford Youths so eloquently!!

Sunny Jim
14/09/2007, 1:55 PM
Mick's definitely losing the plot. I'm all for bigging the lads up but that's ridiculous!

kopite
16/09/2007, 5:40 PM
if only we wore blue and took bungs!............maybe we are?

brokenstar
17/09/2007, 10:39 AM
the man's definitely a spacer.... instead of the daydreaming maybe he should start concentrating on getting some results on the board? just a thought

kopite
17/09/2007, 1:04 PM
remember,its this man's daydreaming that has us here on this site discussing league of ireland football.i don't often agree with his selections or tactics,but do have great respect for what hes done.i reckon this seson is and always was about finding our feet.if you look at the "individual" talent in the 18s and 21s,we'll be reaping the benefits in the next season or two.i know its not easy to watch some of the performances,but always try to look at the big picture.we were never going to win the league or even challenge for it this season,and with the exception of 2/3 players this is totally new expirence,not just the matches,the coaching,the time off work,the staying in/no having a few scoups,and you can't say its the money,don't see any of the players running off and buying jeeps/beamers.
and can't say i felt that way on friday night after the mons game,but surely if we all think back to the first few games and what we're watching now ,we can see improvement.and miles to go before we sleep!

NY Hoop
17/09/2007, 2:51 PM
Man is a legend. A real fan with passion. Shame there arent more Irish millionaires who care about Irish clubs instead of investing in british ones. He is spot on about the San Siro.

KOH

Sniffer
17/09/2007, 3:13 PM
Man is a legend. A real fan with passion. Shame there arent more Irish millionaires who care about Irish clubs instead of investing in british ones. He is spot on about the San Siro.

KOH

Spot on, never been to the San Siro though.:(

ForzaForth
17/09/2007, 9:19 PM
Agree with last few posts. Mick Wallace deserves every credit and he can compare the Youths to anyone he wants. I remember reading in the local papers a few years ago that Mick was aiming to have LOI football in Wexford and I thought to myself - in your dreams, mate. Despite the results, there is progress being made. Compare the defence in the 3-5-2 formation in the Monaghan and Limerick matches. Against Monaghan, we stood off and paid the penalty - three soft goals. Against Limerick, the three centre-halves tried to be tight to every Limerick attacker with the result that Limerick reckoned that they should have got five penalties (see their board!!) LOL !!! We are now looking like a reasonable attacking force. If all the players stay next season, we will be much further up the League next year.

NY Hoop
18/09/2007, 12:07 PM
Spot on, never been to the San Siro though.:(

Go you're in for a treat. The best football stadium in the world IMO.

BTW any pics of your ground? Has the man plans for it etc?

KOH

Lim till i die
18/09/2007, 1:15 PM
If all the players stay next season, we will be much further up the League next year.

Based on what??

Go you're in for a treat. The best football stadium in the world IMO.

Is the pitch still a disaster zone??

passinginterest
19/09/2007, 9:20 AM
Based on what??

Running most teams close this season with zero experience.
Having a full season of training and adjusting to the routine behind them.
Mick Wallace learning that his tactics have to be a bit more flexible.
The fact that Limerick are rubbish and in fourth this season...

kopite
19/09/2007, 9:40 AM
[quote=Lim till i die;773396]Based on what??

well lets see...you're not really a new club[this is the first lol team from wexford-all wexford players].you're cheques are supposedly bouncing again[we have a sugar daddy with a dream],you're team under magee are a sham[we're no brazil,but we'll improve],you're ground[not really yours is it?].after our last trip down there we were accused of graffiti in the toilets- i would still like to know which part? behind the goals,in the STAND,in the clubhouse,or maybe you're bar[do you have one?].you're forum is sad[some of ye think yer from green street or football factory].you wear rose tinted glasses and i think you should take them off!we have miles to go before we sleep-at least we know that.

gaffer33
19/09/2007, 9:34 PM
well said kopite,totally agree,was up in jackman park last friday night,pitch was never up to scratch,leo the lion taking the p**s,shambles of a manager,not my opinion,just look at limerick forum,fair play to mick aswell,many of ye travelling up to cobh sat night..??

onceahoop
19/09/2007, 10:35 PM

KOH

Nail on head NYH.

Keep on rockin Mick. A true football fan.

Red Youth
20/09/2007, 3:27 PM
Lim til I die, just don't know what your and a few of the Limerick fans problem is! I'm all up for a bit of banter and healthy rivalry but you just seem to have a chip on your shoulders. Every other set of supporters or club in general have been friendly and supportive. There seems to be an understanding in the EL that all clubs are up against it as we are in the minority, even though soccer is the most popular sport in the country, EL fans are a rare breed. You're a new club in as much as a name change and change in ownership: We are a NEW CLUB, all new players, new ground, fans, everything! Maybe you're just jealous of what we have and what we are going to have in the future. You've been better than us on the filed of play this season, but what we have, and envisage to develop even further, is an authentic community club - of the people, for the people!!

Judging by your forums you've got your own problems, so don't worry about the Youths - we'll be fine!

6yardpunisha
20/09/2007, 7:18 PM
Lim til I die, just don't know what your and a few of the Limerick fans problem is! I'm all up for a bit of banter and healthy rivalry but you just seem to have a chip on your shoulders. Every other set of supporters or club in general have been friendly and supportive. There seems to be an understanding in the EL that all clubs are up against it as we are in the minority, even though soccer is the most popular sport in the country, EL fans are a rare breed. You're a new club in as much as a name change and change in ownership: We are a NEW CLUB, all new players, new ground, fans, everything! Maybe you're just jealous of what we have and what we are going to have in the future. You've been better than us on the filed of play this season, but what we have, and envisage to develop even further, is an authentic community club - of the people, for the people!!

Judging by your forums you've got your own problems, so don't worry about the Youths - we'll be fine!

well said Red Youth, Limerick crowd are fairly well balanced i.e. they have a chip on each shoulder, best of luck for the rest of the season(not sat night though)

Lim till i die
20/09/2007, 9:28 PM
I asked what made ye think ye would be "Much further up in the League next year"

Here are some of the responses I got:

The fact that Limerick are rubbish and in fourth this season...

Judging by your forums you've got your own problems, so don't worry about the Youths - we'll be fine

well lets see...you're not really a new club[this is the first lol team from wexford-all wexford players].you're cheques are supposedly bouncing again[we have a sugar daddy with a dream],you're team under magee are a sham[we're no brazil,but we'll improve],you're ground[not really yours is it?].after our last trip down there we were accused of graffiti in the toilets- i would still like to know which part? behind the goals,in the STAND,in the clubhouse,or maybe you're bar[do you have one?].you're forum is sad[some of ye think yer from green street or football factory].you wear rose tinted glasses and i think you should take them off!we have miles to go before we sleep-at least we know that.

And I'm the one with the chip on my shoulders???? :D

Jaysus lads, have a good long look at yourselves. You know about as much about LoI football as your manager

As for the Queenstown fans wondering onto the Wexford forum to give out about Limerick fans chips on their shoulders :rolleyes: :D

passinginterest
21/09/2007, 11:13 AM
they only agreed with the TRUTHS and FACTS we replied with.now sod off back to yer puny little world.

Let's not get caught up in a pathetic slagging match lads. Lim til I die is generally good for a laugh on here, even if his views on Wexford Youths are certain to be proved wrong. He's entitled to his opinion and we don't need to start attacking Limerick 37, they need all the support they can get.

It's all a bit of harmless banter, we all like to get a bit of a reaction from someone, it's what makes these message boards entertaining. Makes my days in the civil service pass a bit quicker anyway :)

Red Youth
21/09/2007, 12:04 PM
Agree Passing Interest, but someone always playing the Devils Advocat does get annoying. Lim til I die came onto the board to to question why we think we'll finish much higher up the table next year: does he relly care though and what does he expect us to say?
I don't care where Limerick finish, and as for our manager knowing little or nothing abt LOI football, he might not know a lot about this level - you only learn through experience - but he knows how to transform Wexford into the most successful U18 side in the country, winning three All Ireland's at that level in seven years. He also produced and moulded a guy called Kevin Doyle.

You're fourth and unhappy; we're second from bottom and content, as we knew this year would be tough. Different mentalities; different people. We're realistic and optimistic, as for you....

Lim till i die
24/09/2007, 11:11 AM
You're fourth and unhappy; we're second from bottom and content

Which says alot tbh.........

Lads, I asked an honest question in the hope that someone could maybe give an appraisal of where they see Wexford this time next year, what plans they have, what they would like to see happen etc, etc

What I got, (passinginterest aside) was post after post of irredeemable garbage

Do none of ye have any idea what's going on at the club or have ye just decided you're going to be a rude little backwater club?? (Hi Cobh fans)

IMHO an all Wexford team, with Mick Wallace at the helm, will never be good enough for promotion.

The SIX (Jesus I'm practically a fan) times I've seen you this season the two lads who have stood out are Conor Sinnott (Who is absolutely key to ye) and mullet guy (Malone :confused:). Although solid first division players they really shouldn't be standing out in a team with ambition.

Granted this year, new to the league, blah di blah, but are their plans for major squad improvement? If not you can forget about anywhere above mid-table obscurity :ball:

dahamsta
24/09/2007, 11:30 AM
Lim till i die, your presence in here is disruptive. Knock it on the head, now.

passinginterest
24/09/2007, 11:46 AM
Which says alot tbh.........

Lads, I asked an honest question in the hope that someone could maybe give an appraisal of where they see Wexford this time next year, what plans they have, what they would like to see happen etc, etc

IMHO an all Wexford team, with Mick Wallace at the helm, will never be good enough for promotion.

The SIX (Jesus I'm practically a fan) times I've seen you this season the two lads who have stood out are Conor Sinnott (Who is absolutely key to ye) and mullet guy (Malone :confused:). Although solid first division players they really shouldn't be standing out in a team with ambition.

Granted this year, new to the league, blah di blah, but are their plans for major squad improvement? If not you can forget about anywhere above mid-table obscurity :ball:

I think a lot of the points you make are valid to an extent, but, I think your idea of ambition for your club is instant gratification, whereas the majority of Wexford Youths supporters idea of ambition is development and progress over 3-5 years.

This year was always going to be incredibly difficult, the team has been born prematurely. Wallace had intended on entering the 21s this year, followed by the A league, and eventually the League proper. Circumstances provided and opportunity to skip a few levels, but, left Wallace and his players very exposed. He could easily have thrown money at bringing in journey men from around the country, but chose to stick with his belief in developing local talent.

This meant trying to drag players up from an average junior league to League of Ireland standard in just a few weeks. In reality this was never the ambition, it should have been 21s, A League, 1st Division. If anything it's incredible that they have been so competitive this season. The next generation of players coming through will not suffer from years in junior obscurity, they will move from highly competitive U16s to 18s to 21s to Senior, this will improve the quality of the team gradually. Look at the highly respectable results of the 21s this season, a squad with something like 10 17 year olds.

IMO ambition for Wexford Youths is keeping these players involved in football, developing them, maybe sending some of them on to successful, full-time football overseas, challenging for promotion within 3 years and sticking with principals of community and education.

I'm not convinced about Wallace as a manager at this level, but, I think he is already showing a capacity to learn and develop along with his team. His tactics may be straight out of Italy, and not always the most attractive, but, as the players develop they become more effective and convincing (the Cobh game being a prime example).

Overall I see a great future for this club, a future in the premier division, occasionally challenging at the top, winning a cup or two, and developing the talented players of Wexford.

Lim till i die
24/09/2007, 12:02 PM
I think a lot of the points you make are valid to an extent, but, I think your idea of ambition for your club is instant gratification, whereas the majority of Wexford Youths supporters idea of ambition is development and progress over 3-5 years.

TBH, rightly or wrongly I just think a Limerick club should have much more prestige than we have held for the last 15 years so I set the bar that bit higher (foolish as it may seem at this stage)

Overall I see a great future for this club, a future in the premier division, occasionally challenging at the top, winning a cup or two, and developing the talented players of Wexford

Fair Enough.

Now, I'm off back to my own forum and I promise never to bother any of you again :)

Red Youth
25/09/2007, 12:17 PM
You're more than welcome on the forum Lim', but we have the right to express our opinions on our forum and at least try and be someway constructive with your criticism.

You're correct, as the third largest city in Ireland you should expect to have a strong soccer team. Wexford is hardly a soccer stronghold but we need to be judged in 3, 5, even 7 years time, as Wexford Youths is the first EVER LOI team from the county. Limerick LOI teams have been around for donkeys years; didn't Sam Allardyce even manage Limerick before!?

My point on us being realistic and optimistic is valid. We're second from bottom, and to be honest, I expected us to finish last and really struggle this year. What did you want from us; to be coming out stating how we should win the division and play in the Premier Division next year! Never going to happen in our first year with a young squad of junior league players. Come back on the forum in three or four years and if we're still second from bottom and spouting the same 'crap' about long-term plans then you'll be right and we'll swallow our pride and admit we were wrong.

L37Ultra
25/09/2007, 12:26 PM
I think Red Youth makes great points there. I have been down to Wexford three times this year for Limerick matches and I was very impressed with the set-up down there and the lads trying to create an atmosphere. Crowds are still very good down there even though ye are second from bottom. You can hardly say they are lacking ambition because they are happy to be second from bottom. They are just realistic and from what I have seen from the club this year is that they are making great progress and building for the future. There has been no history of League of Ireland soccer in Wexford so they are going in the right direction in my opinion.