PDA

View Full Version : UEFA action on diving for a Penalty

geysir
13/09/2007, 4:28 PM
Is this a first Uefa action? Sounds good to me

"UEFA has opened disciplinary proceedings against Lithuania midfielder Saulius Mikoliunas for deceiving the referee, following the incident which brought about a penalty for Lithuania in the UEFA EURO 2008™ qualifying Group B match against Scotland in Glasgow on Saturday."

http://www.uefa.com/uefa/keytopics/kind=512/newsid=586080.html

TheBoss
13/09/2007, 6:01 PM
Well, in that case, they should look at the Greek ref, he cheated us.

Risteard
13/09/2007, 10:01 PM
Without sounding too cynical, It's easy to do it to a Lithuanian player when they lost 3 or 4-1 anyway.

geysir
13/09/2007, 10:18 PM
Well it is a start and it is a good non controversial place to start.

I think when this particular pandoras box is opened then we could get to a situation (similar to Rugby) where Scotland could cite the diver.

DaveyCakes
13/09/2007, 11:22 PM
They've charge Scolari for throwing a dg at one of the Serbian players.

drinkfeckarse
14/09/2007, 12:27 PM
No doubt Gordon Smith had a word in David Taylor's ear. Good news really. It would be impossible to punish a player for over-reacting even for the slightest contact but when a player blatently dives with conclusive proof that there was no contact at all then I feel they should dish out 2 game bans. That will have a positive effect on diving.

OwlsFan
18/09/2007, 1:58 PM
It's time for video replays for crucial incidents like goals (the Chelsea one against Blackburn), penalties and sending offs (Hunt). Shouldn't slow the game much as everyone would prefer to see the correct decision as opposed to having to listen to managers (and Andy Gray) moaning about the ones that the refs get wrong.

inexile
18/09/2007, 2:06 PM
video replays why? things like this are great talking points, sure it would be frustrating if its happens against your team but the majority of these things balance themselves out over the course of a season or a qualification series, i.e. chelsea got a highly controversial penalty against liverpool and had a legit goal ruled out against blackburn. imo human error is what makes the game great, players make mistakes, managers make mistakes, so do officials, its a human sport.

Dodge
18/09/2007, 2:14 PM
It's time for video replays for crucial incidents like goals (the Chelsea one against Blackburn), penalties and sending offs (Hunt)
Only for goals IMO. Penalties are a maybe but a lot of sending offs are interpretations and arguements could go on forever. For instance I think hunt was rightfully sent off. The Video official's job should be to say yes or no, and nothing else

osarusan
18/09/2007, 2:21 PM
Only for goals IMO. Penalties are a maybe but a lot of sending offs are interpretations and arguements could go on forever. For instance I think hunt was rightfully sent off. The Video official's job should be to say yes or no, and nothing else

Agree with that. Fouls are interpretations, video should only be used for what is a simple yes or no decision.

"Did the ball cross the line?" even in rugby, a similar question to that has been controversial at times.

In fact, rather than using video, I'd prefer some kind of microchip (fantasy world, I know), which alerts the ref when the ball has crossed the goalline, or any line. Obviously that doesn't help with diving.

I think punishment for diving can only be handed out when the dive is obvious beyond any dispute. Otherwise it will create more controversy than it stops.

Schumi
18/09/2007, 2:24 PM
In fact, rather than using video, I'd prefer some kind of microchip (fantasy world, I know), which alerts the ref when the ball has crossed the goalline, or any line.Wasn't that being tested somewhere? It would be a much better way.

osarusan
18/09/2007, 2:27 PM
Wasn't that being tested somewhere? It would be a much better way.

really? Well, not fantasy world after all. Something like Hawkeye in tennis, which cant really be disputed with.

Dodge
18/09/2007, 2:43 PM
Something like Hawkeye in tennis, which cant really be disputed with.

Its the hawkeye company that is trialling this scheme too. I think it was done at Reading's academy. They reckon its about 8 months away from being perfect

Sheridan
18/09/2007, 2:52 PM
The microchip technology exists but hasn't reached a satisfactory stage of development (there were also conflicts with existing FIFA sponsorship deals.) And Hawkeye is by no means infallible.

It's a non-issue way down the list of priorities, in my view. 99% of the competitive games which take place worldwide aren't televised and the overwhelming majority of grounds don't possess the requisite facilities. The English media (and idiots who take their cue from them and listen to Andy Gray) bleat on about this every couple of years when one high-profile incident arises, irrespective of the fact that most are attributable to bad officiating rather than anything else. I've no problem with an official making an erroneous marginal call because he's not superhuman (linesmen do it 2-5 times per game at least) as long as he controls the game fairly and calmly.

OwlsFan
19/09/2007, 9:08 AM
It would obviously only be used in top leagues and games. England might not have won the World Cup in 1966 if that technology existed then ;)

Should be used for penalties and goals. I am surprised Andy Gray would be in favour of it. WOuld make him redundant because he spends 85% of his time bleating about refereeing decisions.

John83
19/09/2007, 9:26 AM
Wasn't that being tested somewhere? It would be a much better way.
Yeah, it's being worked on. The English FA are keeping an eye on that one, while there are Hawkeye-style camera-based systems in development too. I think the GAA is testing the latter at the moment too.