PDA

View Full Version : Retiring players?

Colbert Report
13/09/2007, 4:38 AM
Does anyone reckon that players like Carsley, Kilbane, and Carr are close to being done at the international level? Difficult to see a 36 year old Lee Carsley anchoring the midfield in the summer of 2010. Is it better to drop our older players who won't likely take part in the next qualifying campaign and start blooding the young players now?

theworm2345
13/09/2007, 5:36 AM
I think Carr retired before, didn't he (and then came out of retirement)?

jbyrne
13/09/2007, 7:33 AM
Does anyone reckon that players like Carsley, Kilbane, and Carr are close to being done at the international level? Difficult to see a 36 year old Lee Carsley anchoring the midfield in the summer of 2010. Is it better to drop our older players who won't likely take part in the next qualifying campaign and start blooding the young players now?

carsley - yes
kilbane - no
carr - probably

DeNiro
13/09/2007, 7:39 AM
Well if we are building for the future as we are constantly being told, he'll have to phase out Carsley. I'd say Carsley is fazed out himself:rolleyes:. Bloody hell, another campaign down the tubes.

shakermaker1982
13/09/2007, 7:44 AM
Carsley has to go. Killer can stay in the squad as back up for LB.

Bluebeard
13/09/2007, 8:37 AM
Carsley walked before. I was happy to see him gone. All of a sudden people clamoured for his return, and since coming back, he has failed to make me think any different. Looked like he'd retired from all football during the Slovakia game.

Aside him, I have a fair idea of a few players I would like to invite to retire.

And a manager.

drinkfeckarse
13/09/2007, 10:13 AM
Yeah I was just going to say there was an unbelievable OTT clamour for his return. It was required at the time but he has always been a limited player. Funny how short people's memory's are....

ofjames
13/09/2007, 12:51 PM
Regardless of his retirement plans, last night should be the end of Carsley's Ireland career.

It is quite clear that this season will be his last at Everton. He has a Down's Syndrome child and he wishes to return to live in the midlands for reasons related to his care. Due to this concern, he was only just persuaded to sign a new contract for this year by David Moyes. I'd expect to see him at a Championship club come next season. In light of this, and his age, I would think most appropriate action would be to give the younger lads (gibson/potter/garvan..etc) game time in the remaining competitive games in this campaign.

Although I think Carsley did a good job since his return. He should have played in Germany and Cyprus

Shelsman
13/09/2007, 1:06 PM
I'd expect to see him at a Championship club come next season. In light of this, and his age, I would think most appropriate action would be to give the younger lads (gibson/potter/garvan..etc) game time in the remaining competitive games in this campaign.

I agree, but if we are stuck for the a defensive midfielder in the qualifiers next year I'd draft him in. But do we really want to be stuffed by Germany if he's not playing?

pete
13/09/2007, 1:43 PM
Carsley will retire again.

I don't see any value in dropping old players as its not as if too many young players queuing up get into the squad or the team. Always pick the best team & let the clubs develop players.

I must say I thought Kilbane was done for but he proven himself again this week especially last Saturday.

Stuttgart88
13/09/2007, 2:08 PM
Carsley said in the press that he won't retire again. When he no longer gets picked is when he'll stop playing.

I hope Finnan stays on. Very fit & athletic still.

antrimgreen
13/09/2007, 3:19 PM
Finnan was badly missed for both games, really hope he doesn't jack it in.

geysir
13/09/2007, 3:21 PM
Carsley cleared up any residue over his past retirement and made sure it was know he was available for the qualifiers. He was dignified in his behaviour before he was recalled. Like wise he deserves plaudits for the way he 100% applied himself to the CM role. Personally I am glad he came back and got a decent runout in the team.
Even with hindsight and considering all the injuries, his selection was justified for all the games.

Do we hang on to him as first choice even for the next 3 games or blood someone else.?

DmanDmythDledge
13/09/2007, 3:27 PM
I doubt Carsley will be around for the next campaign, likewise with Carr. Players like Garvan, O'Brien, Potter, O'Halloran will take their places. Kilbane will be around, hopefully as a left back, not a midfielder.

shakermaker1982
13/09/2007, 3:31 PM
Carsley cleared up any residue over his past retirement and made sure it was know he was available for the qualifiers. He was dignified in his behaviour before he was recalled. Like wise he deserves plaudits for the way he 100% applied himself to the CM role. Personally I am glad he came back and got a decent runout in the team.
Even with hindsight and considering all the injuries, his selection was justified for all the games.

Do we hang on to him as first choice even for the next 3 games or blood someone else.?

blood in Garvan/Potter/Gibson. Waste of time Carsley playing in any of them games IMO. We aren't going to qualify so lets build for the future and give them game time.

Morbo
14/09/2007, 11:36 AM
We aren't going to qualify but the games are still a lot more important than a friendly since a 3rd place finish should give us a slightly easier World Cup qualifying group and we should field our strongest availble team for the remaining games.
I'd wait until a friendly before playing Gibson but I'd consider giving Garven or Potter a run out before then, at least as a substitute.

Maroon 7
14/09/2007, 12:02 PM
Think Carsley will defo pack it in.
Maybe Carr as well.
Think Kilbane will stick around.
Hope Finnan doesn't go.

Stuttgart88
14/09/2007, 12:42 PM
We're almost certain to be a 3rd seed. It doesn't depend on our final placing in this group. There's a thread running on the topic of our seeding coefficient.

Stuttgart88
14/09/2007, 12:47 PM
Maybe a bit of both. Would it be fair to blood a young player without an experienced partner, especially against Frings & Ballack?

We have no Duff or Hunt for remaining games in all likelihood so I think it may make sense for Reid to move wide.

shakermaker1982
14/09/2007, 12:51 PM
Maybe a bit of both. Would it be fair to blood a young player without an experienced partner, especially against Frings & Ballack?

sink or swim time. Carsley isn't going to make a bit of difference anyway going by Wednesday's performance!!!

Morbo
14/09/2007, 3:31 PM
I don't think Reid plays that well out wide though, doesn't have a lot of pace, I guess if you have Finnan overlapping then Reid could cut inside and that might work.
Anyway what age is Finnan, around 31? still a bit young for a defender to retire isn't it.
I doubt Carsley will stick around, I think his age was showing in the last 2 games but I'm glad he came back and had one last run in the team

Closed Account 2
14/09/2007, 5:15 PM
John O'Shea hopefully...!

RiffRaff
10/10/2007, 1:47 PM
says on eleven-a-side that Kilbane will consider his future at the end of the campaign. I hope he continues, if one of our most committed players steps aside, it will be easier for others to do it. Besides if he continues to play left back for Wigan, he could be the best short term soloution for that position. I get a nasty feeling we may be approaching a John Toshack situation where a lot of players dont want to play for the manager and we get premature retirements.