PDA

View Full Version : Sad Sobering Fact I Fear

Pages : [1] 2 3

Reality Bites
12/09/2007, 9:16 PM
Dunphy hit the High notes tonight, I think he spoke for the fans with absolute clarity and no hidden agendas, Brady usually far more sober and it broke his heart to say it but admitted Stan must go!, why oh why does Football not work in a democratic fashion, the people will vent their rage on this forum, in the pubs around the country and among the travelling support, yet the autocrats in the FAI will ultimaltely decide the fate of this manager and sadly this batch of players, Its a sad fact but Stans tenure will be retained for next campaign and all the huffing puffing on this forum and the media will amount to nothing, oh yeah and Finally JOHN DELANEY IS A ****!!!

soccerc
12/09/2007, 9:19 PM
the autocrats in the FAI will ultimaltely decide the fate of this managerFinally JOHN DELANEY IS A ****!!!

I had a call just after the final whistle and these are the exact words:

"If Steve decides to go, we [the FAI] will not stand in his way."

The source is very reliable though he could also just be putting it out there to see what the temperature is.

Reality Bites
12/09/2007, 9:21 PM
Temperature - CLOSE TO BOILING!!

soccerc
12/09/2007, 9:23 PM
Temperature - CLOSE TO BOILING!!

...yes, but they are in Prague and would need to work out the PR angles before they arrive home. Like for instance who to put out to hang on tlak radio tomorrow;)

DeNiro
12/09/2007, 9:24 PM

The source is very reliable though he could also just be putting it out there to see what the temperature is.

We'll I reckon he knows that if he puts it out he knows what the reaction will be. 100% agreement with the FAI not standing in his way. I expect Staunton to go now.

shakermaker1982
12/09/2007, 9:25 PM
who in their right mind would wanna manage us? Brian Kerr, John Aldridge and.... ok I'd have a go. I'm not too bad on football manager 2007. On a more serious note for 400,000 euro's who'd wanna come to Dublin?

IsMiseSean
12/09/2007, 9:26 PM
Its not often I agree with Dunphy but he hit the nail on the head tonight, Staunton must go! I dont think he has what it takes to be a manager at any level, the team have looked unorganised and when you think about we have had maybe only one good performance under his command, we might have gone 8 games unbeaten or whatever it was but we struggled in some of them victories and got lucky alot. But I think Delaney will back the Staunton and we will be stuck with this fool for the World Cup Qualifiers. If there is anything WE as fans and lovers of Irish soccer can do, we gotta do it!!!

Réiteoir
12/09/2007, 9:26 PM
...yes, but they are in Prague and would need to work out the PR angles before they arrive home. Like for instance who to put out to hang on tlak radio tomorrow;)

Where is Sir Bobby at the moment?

soccerc
12/09/2007, 9:28 PM
I think Delaney will back the Staunton

That's not the impression I got during my telephone conversation with my source. He rang me too!

shakermaker1982
12/09/2007, 9:28 PM
if he had any sense Bobby would be tucked up in bed and well away from sky sports 2!!! Watching us is not good for your health.

Reality Bites
12/09/2007, 9:30 PM
Open season now for the wish list manager forum!

IsMiseSean
12/09/2007, 9:31 PM
That's not the impression I got during my telephone conversation with my source. He rang me too!

I hope your right and Staunton is gone by the German game :)

greendeiseboy
12/09/2007, 9:36 PM
We can all speculate........ but in all fairness staunton has no intention of leaving and oscar wilde has no intention of sacking him

Reality Bites
12/09/2007, 9:38 PM
Oscar Wilde - Brillant!

Aaron
12/09/2007, 9:42 PM
who in their right mind would wanna manage us? Brian Kerr, John Aldridge and.... ok I'd have a go. I'm not too bad on football manager 2007. On a more serious note for 400,000 euro's who'd wanna come to Dublin?

Yea I agree, who would want to manage us, that could be the fear in the FAI if they got rid of Staunton. I personally would like to see either Stephen Kenny or David O'Leary get a crack of the whip. Any other suggestions

Reality Bites
12/09/2007, 9:45 PM
David O'Leary don't really like him but probably the best option for now!

IsMiseSean
12/09/2007, 9:46 PM
Does anyone think we should think about going down the foreign manager route?

Maroon 7
12/09/2007, 9:46 PM
Everyone in the country knows Staunton should go but Stan has no intention of going anywhere and we all know the FAI aren't going to give him the bullet.

brine3
12/09/2007, 9:50 PM
I don't blame Stan so much for what has happened. He wasn't up to scratch, but that was to be expected, he didn't have the experience. He was asked to manage his country and he grabbed it with both hands. I'd have done the same, and I'd have been **** too, as I have no experience in football management.

It's the FAI's fault for appointing him in the first place. Everybody knew it was the wrong decision but them.

Big countries can get away with appointing unexperienced former players as manager. They have the players for it. We don't. We need to get every single last drop out of the few decent players we have, and for that we need a good manager.

Aaron
12/09/2007, 9:51 PM
Does anyone think we should think about going down the foreign manager route?

Absolutely not!! I'd prefer an Irishman, someone who knows what the fans want and what it takes, not many out there but IMO we should not go down the route of appointing foreigners

brine3
12/09/2007, 9:52 PM
I really don't care as long as we get somebody who can manage a football team.

Reality Bites
12/09/2007, 9:53 PM
Everyone in the country knows Staunton should go but Stan has no intention of going anywhere and we all know the FAI aren't going to give him the bullet.

As per point in starting thread -thought Tony O'Donoghue post match interview as very telling indeed, 'Finally Steve is it now time to Reflect' Stan "No I am staying on building team for WC qualifiers blah blah blah etc" Stan will have to be pushed and Oscar Wilde ain't the man to do it, can't show up his poor choice!!

IsMiseSean
12/09/2007, 9:56 PM
Absolutely not!! I'd prefer an Irishman, someone who knows what the fans want and what it takes, not many out there but IMO we should not go down the route of appointing foreigners

But is there a top quality Irish manager out there???

Stuttgart88
12/09/2007, 9:59 PM
David O'Leary is a self serving snake, but I'd hire him in an instant at this stage.

In an odd way, watching RTE was a privilege tonight. Sorry Owls Fan but dunphy was faultless. Bill " I learnt TV presenting on the job". Eamon: " Would you let hin [ a rookie] drive the train to Cork?". Don't shed any tears for a well piad man losing his job. Sorry Stan, you meant well but it just ain't gonna happen. Get a job in club football, learn your trade and if in 5-10 years time you're a proven success apply again. Dunphy was right, WE deserve better. I maintain as a mantra that you only need 5 or 6 really good players and the rest need only be good enough. We have at least that situation now.

Once O'shea's injury forced his hand into playing what almost all of us here wanted, the team received a shot in the arm that if we'd had from the start it may well have been different.

Stan doesn't deserve any of the more vitriolic attacks on him that have been made here but at the same time I hope he's big enough to admit he just isn't good enough. I know he cares but then again we all do. At least the players showed THEY care tonight I thought.

Good news soccerc if you're right.

can anyone post tonight's panel on youtube? Sheer quality broadcasting.

Aaron
12/09/2007, 10:00 PM
But is there a top quality Irish manager out there???

I dont know, its just my opinion that an Irishman should be in charge, who has managed at a high enough level. O'Leary is one, OK Kenny hasnt managed at a high enough level but is worth a try, Aldo is another i'd consider, but an Irishman it should be IMO.

drummerboy
12/09/2007, 10:12 PM
I think O'Leary would be a good choice. I know he is hard to take at times but at least he would be able to organise the team. Thats basically all we need. Hopefully the likes of Finnan and Carsley decide to soldier on and hopefully we will have Stephen Reid, Joey O'Brien, Duffer and Potter back soon. Staunton was always a bad choice. I feel sorry for a man who served his country well, but he has been put in this situation by Delaney. Delaney shoudl go.

billybunter
12/09/2007, 10:13 PM
Yea I agree, who would want to manage us, that could be the fear in the FAI if they got rid of Staunton. I personally would like to see either Stephen Kenny or David O'Leary get a crack of the whip. Any other suggestions

john sheridan, jose pekerman, john aldridge, roy keane (part time)

soccerc
12/09/2007, 10:15 PM
Its just my opinion that an Irishman should be in charge, who has managed at a high enough level. but an Irishman it should be IMO.

Paddy Walker is available ;)

Closed Account 2
12/09/2007, 10:15 PM
F**k it I'd take anyone else as manager now... Berti Vogts, Roy Hodgson, Gay Byrne even.

Seriously though, get shot of Stan asap, appoint someone with a short term contract thru to the end of the Euro 2008 qualifiers with a view to assuring 3rd place and getting decent performances. And if that happens make them permanent.

We risk falling off the radar unless the FAI act now.

Réiteoir
12/09/2007, 10:17 PM
Bring Roddy in

Aaron
12/09/2007, 10:22 PM
Bring Roddy in

Unfortunately for Ireland Jim wants to stay with Dery City:D

Closed Account 2
12/09/2007, 10:28 PM
Bring Roddy in

F**k it - Roddy Doyle probably knows more about football than Stan

Soko
12/09/2007, 10:31 PM
He doesn't have to Irish, it doesn't even need to be a he - just get that plonker out of here

Naitch
12/09/2007, 10:46 PM
I really believe we should look at a non Irish/British manager. We need to change our style of play do adapt to the international scene.

Risteard
12/09/2007, 10:47 PM
Whats with the over-reaction lads?
We lost the qualifying race in Cyprus and Slovakia.

I don't blame Stan so much for what has happened. He wasn't up to scratch, but that was to be expected, he didn't have the experience. He was asked to manage his country and he grabbed it with both hands. I'd have done the same, and I'd have been **** too, as I have no experience in football management.

It's the FAI's fault for appointing him in the first place. Everybody knew it was the wrong decision but them.

Big countries can get away with appointing unexperienced former players as manager. They have the players for it. We don't. We need to get every single last drop out of the few decent players we have, and for that we need a good manager.
Agree completely.
Delaney is not fit to choose a successor.
As regards falling off the radar, were Slovakia not seeded above us?
We're third seeds apparently for the World cup groups.

The Legend
12/09/2007, 10:57 PM
He doesn't have to Irish, it doesn't even need to be a he - just get that plonker out of here

Hilary Clinton?

but on a serious note, im f**king sick of this sh*t... this sh*t being the FAI.

Good f**king luck against Germany!

danonion
12/09/2007, 11:00 PM
Mick McCarthy

sonofstan
12/09/2007, 11:03 PM

I don't know who your call was from, but basically what you're saying is that the FAI - which means JD - are now spinning against Staunton; which is pretty disgusting.

Closed Account 2
12/09/2007, 11:11 PM
Yeah but they wont sack him, they're too tight-fisted to do that! I know Aldo would take the job and take it on half what Stan is being paid.

DaveyCakes
12/09/2007, 11:14 PM
How long is his contract? Don't tell me is to the end of the next qualifying campaign...:eek:

onenilgameover
12/09/2007, 11:18 PM
NO way stan will walk and Delaney aint gonna push him either..if he makes it to the end of the qualifiers in 3rd place he will be kept on and we will continue to go backwards...

Closed Account 2
12/09/2007, 11:19 PM
not 100% sure but I think so... pretty criminal to give a complete novice that sort of contract length.

onenilgameover
12/09/2007, 11:23 PM
contarct is till 2010 afaik and he will have to be paid out

kev107
13/09/2007, 7:59 AM
Anyone able to post a video of dunphy's etc comments after? :D

geysir
13/09/2007, 8:17 AM
Giles and Brady talked sense but another
Dunphy, the parish pump "champion of the common man" rant. Give me a break.
After the farcical train jibe?
Dunphy "do you think you can go straight into managing without experience"?
He didn´t say much after Brady said "well John did"
Giles replied "yes I did".
According to Dunphy We have great players eg.Doyle Hunt, even Long and Potter coming through, Given, Dunne, O´Shea Duff - not 'Andy Reid, he is just a championship player'.
Why? because Dunphy doesn't rate Reid, he wouldn´t admit that the championship player held his own out there.

Compare
Dunphy "a terrific squad of gifted and confident players"

Brady "no world class or extremly talented but about 6 very good players
as a nucleus and a fair share of good players"

Giles " not looking at whether they are world class but what I look at is are you getting the best of what is available, I don't think we are"

antrimgreen
13/09/2007, 8:17 AM
Lets do a whip round and give him his pay day, get O'Leary in and give him a shot at the WC quailfications.

irishbaz
13/09/2007, 8:18 AM
I dont know or cant speak for anyone on this forum but I am ****ing heartbroken during the match i was gutted that we didnt turn up, the same team selection as saturday was nuts and the introduction of Hunt (forced) was what we needed. Another shagging summer of watching the Euro finals with no Ireland breaks my heart. Truely im devestated.

The Ball Boy
13/09/2007, 8:19 AM
I think Dave O'Leary is the man for the job, hard and all as he is to take! He was fairly successful at Leeds, 5 top 5 finishes. Although he spent alot of money he did bring through some good young players like Woodgate, Smith etc. He had 1 very good season at Villa and 2 not so great. He is the best man for the job. At least we'd have a bit of structure and organisation.

Stan must go, but he won't and Delaney will not sack him as he'd be admitting to making a mistake.

Dunphy was spot on last night, broke Brady's heart but at least he was man enough to admit it amd Giles as ever was right on the money.

Dotsy
13/09/2007, 8:21 AM
Stan has to go. We saw last night for 30 minutes the team that most supporters and pundits would have picked for the last two matches and the improvement was huge. It only came about because Stephen Ireland left and JOS got injured.

As much as I like Stan the player it has shown he is either clueless or plain pigheaded as a manager. The players and the fans deserve better.

I thought the RTE lads were good last night (even if Dunphy was a little over the top). You have to admire Brady for his frankness. You wouldn't get that on Sky or the BBC.

dr_peepee
13/09/2007, 8:25 AM
I'd have no problems with a foreign coach. We need someone with a relatively successful record of working with a limited budget in club football, or previous experience on the international stage. That's the criteria for an international manager for a country like ours.