PDA

View Full Version : Czech Republic 1-0 Ireland post match discussion thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8

Maroon 7
17/09/2007, 6:04 PM
It seems that Irish fans like mindless running around the pitch rather than actual skill to be honest. Hunt is a decent player no more and no less but he is seen as the saviour by many of the Irish fans. I find this baffling.

Well given a lack of skill in the team we'll settle for energy and honesty of effort as Johnny Giles might say.

tricky_colour
17/09/2007, 6:07 PM
I think he did. It was a stupid and dirty tackle to make He got the ball first but it was a an overly agressive and high tackle that could have done real damage to the Czech player. I thought that at the time when I was at the game and having seen the footage from a few angles I dont think the tackle can be defended. Ok he made a good cameo appearance and it gave the Irish team better balance. But that was all thrown away but his lack of experience and stupidity in my view.

Of course he was the hero to the mob for some bizarre reason.

No he was not even on the pitch when we failed.

ofjames
17/09/2007, 6:08 PM
I think he did. It was a stupid and dirty tackle to make He got the ball first but it was a an overly agressive and high tackle that could have done real damage to the Czech player. I thought that at the time when I was at the game and having seen the footage from a few angles I dont think the tackle can be defended. Ok he made a good cameo appearance and it gave the Irish team better balance. But that was all thrown away but his lack of experience and stupidity in my view.

Of course he was the hero to the mob for some bizarre reason.

I think you're being very unfair. Even Petr Cech (hardly Hunt's greatest admirer) spoke publicly about how he felt Hunt had been hard done by getting a red card. It was a heavy tackle but it wasnt dangerous. He didnt come over the ball, nor did he come two footed showing studs. He got the ball with his outsretched leg, then tripped the Czech lad with his shin while following through. It warranted a booking and a severe warning, but not more.

We shouldnt muddy the waters regarding our failure in the recent games by looking to make a scapegoat of Hunt, or any other player for that matter. The blame is solely attributable to Staunton, and the FAI muppet(s) who hired him. They are the individuals who have let all of us down

tricky_colour
17/09/2007, 6:08 PM
It seems that Irish fans like mindless running around the pitch rather than actual skill to be honest. Hunt is a decent player no more and no less but he is seen as the saviour by many of the Irish fans. I find this baffling.

You don't win games by standing still and waiting for someone to give you the ball.

Armando
17/09/2007, 6:14 PM
I don't see him as our saviour...I'm just baffled that he doesn't get into the starting 11. He does more than 'just mindless running around'. Have you even seen him play for Reading? He is the best crosser in the Premiership, yet even when he's on the pitch for Ireland he doesn't take the corners etc,:confused:

...oh and it wasn't even close to being a red card. It was the first hard tackle of the game - because our midfield had inexplicably stood off the Czechs before that. The crowd went bananas and the ref couldn't wait to appease them. It was a shocking decision. And then you had some nobody in a suit charging from the Czech bench confronting him as he left the pitch. I was at the game behind the dugouts and it still leaves a bitter taste in the mouth what happened.:mad:

ofjames
17/09/2007, 6:16 PM

Thats bulls-hit as far as im concerned.

Mindless running around = McGeady, Robbie Keane

On the other hand, Hunt is a class act. He is hungry, aggressive and direct. Exactly what you need in a winger. He is a handful for any defender to deal with. Should have started both games. He's the hero of the mob (as you put it) because he showed, during his 30 cameo, everything the Irish team lacked in the rest of the two games.

Morbo
17/09/2007, 6:30 PM
Hunt is one of the last people I'd blame for our failure, yes he was a bit too enthusiastic with that tackle but it was never a red, if every player had his energy and attitude we would be a very tough team to beat, when you see players pull out of international duty because of a little gash and play 2 & half days later for their club, then its refreshing to see that there are still some players who play with passion for their country

SUB of the day
17/09/2007, 6:44 PM
Hunts connection with the Irish fans, reminds me of the buzz between the support and Dave Langan.Both players giving 110% for the cause, creating an audible sense of expectation with the ball at their feet.Neither player could claim the skill of Duff or Keane, but raw passion and effort goes a long way

tricky_colour
17/09/2007, 6:54 PM
Lets face it, before Hunt came on nobody thought we had a hope in hell of
getting anything out of the match, we were hopeless. he lifted the whole moribund team, and that endured even after he was taken off.

viagogo
17/09/2007, 7:02 PM
It wasnt a red but in fairness in an European away match and with a dopey ref and a hostile crowd you cant jump into tackles like that. The crowd and the Czech bench didnt help either.

Bottle of Tonic
17/09/2007, 8:49 PM
I thought it was a shocking challenge at the time.He went right through their player and under the circumstances wasn't all that surprised he got red. But thats under the circumstances - normally I think a yellow would have been shown but its not unusual for the circumstances of a game to affect a ref's judgement.
I think if he had kept the head (it was a needless challenge he'd won the ball)we might have got something from the game as he lifted it when so many around him were inept. So yes, he did let us down.

StephenMcG
17/09/2007, 8:53 PM
It was never a red and he was a hero to the "mob" because he came on and gave everything he had, changed the game around and was getting booed everytime he touched the ball.
Of course we chanted his name, just a pity that it seemingly couldn't be heard on the tv, as it was loud enough there!

pineapple stu
17/09/2007, 9:17 PM
The crowd and the Czech bench didnt help either.
As has been noted elsewhere, the Czech bench did nothing - didn't even call for a free. Their manager has said he was as surprised as anyone to see the red.

Noelys Guitar
17/09/2007, 9:19 PM
Long live the "mob" then! Never a red card. No mention of the antics of some of the Czech players who hounded the ref into sending Hunt off. Now thats a mob.

geysir
17/09/2007, 9:34 PM
All 3 protaginists have their blame.
I´d agree with Stan that he is an impact player:)
It´s just that we needed to be impacted after 2 minutes.
And there are times when we can´t afford to have such an impact "weapon" on the bench.

I would love to take all these refs who get fooled by a player's antics onto a practical demonstration of what happens to a player when he well and truly clobbered. I´d have the refs play a football game and have a few notorious tacklers inflict studs up from behind tackles on each and every one of them just to impress that the last thing you do, or even want to do, is leap in the air or roll around the floor.

onenilgameover
17/09/2007, 9:37 PM
I didn't think it was a red. It probably deserved a yellow as he followed through with agression without need. No way did he let the country down. Don't agree with the mob attitude but he looked like he cared...

tricky_colour
18/09/2007, 5:20 AM
Leader of the Khmer Rouge????

If I spent the rest of my life trying to figure out how your comment related in any way to my post I don't I would have anymore idea then than I do now.

Please enlighten me.

You must have an IQ several thousand times greater then mine, which is technically, impossilbe :D:p;)

SkStu
18/09/2007, 5:32 AM
:D :D :D

hes better known by his first name as gaeilge, Pol.

Thomo
18/09/2007, 7:58 AM
let his country down? no way. he did us proud if you ask me. Thats like saying did david beckham let down england in 98 when he got sent off. evidently not, as he eventually became their captain. i don't think hunt deserved a red, but unfortunately, these things hapen sometimes, hes young and hes brash, and maybe alittle rash, but he didnt let his country down at all. he played with passion and heart, as did the majority of the lads i think, skill limitations aside. As usual its easy to find a scapegoat, but the bigger picture is there is no one person to blame. we're a comparatively small country, and we have a limited talent pool to choose from by international standards, a talent pool marginalised further by the lack of a credible domestic league, or an organised effecient governing body for teh sport in the country, a sport might i add which is far from the national sport in ireland. when coupled with having a young team, and a relatively inexperienced manager, and some bad luck with the health of one of the original members of the managerial team, in Bobby Robson, we're doing better than expected.

beautifulrock
18/09/2007, 8:06 AM
Studs showing and he went through the Czech player, as soon as I seen it I though it would be red. Possibly would have got away with it in the premiership it Mike Riley was not the ref. I agree he is a Dave Langan type character and I certainly would like him in the team for his energy alone.

Stuttgart88
18/09/2007, 8:32 AM
I honestly think that Hunt did more in the 30 mins he was on the pitch than if another player had come on and stayed on for 60. The shot in the arm it gave the team actually stayed until the end. Prior to his introduction they were limp & lifeless.

I think it was stupid of him not to know the risks of that type of tackle on the continent. He'd have got away with it in England.

OwlsFan
18/09/2007, 9:24 AM
What happens if we go one down? Well what do you think?

We lose :rolleyes:

dr_peepee
18/09/2007, 9:31 AM
Didn't think it warranted even a yellow card!

ifk101
18/09/2007, 9:45 AM
Two-footed, airbourne tackles are sending off offences.

Thomo
18/09/2007, 10:05 AM
i dunno if i would call it two footed or airbourne.especailly as he attempted to tuck his trailing leg. not that it matters, the card had its effects on the night, deserved or not.

dr_peepee
18/09/2007, 10:25 AM
Two-footed, airbourne tackles are sending off offences.

One footed tackle, the leading foot, studs up, no contact with the player, plenty of the ball. The trailing leg was bent back, caught the Czech player and "crippled" him. Centre halves do it all the time.

Would have been considered a good tackle in some quarters.

Port Saint
18/09/2007, 11:32 AM
Wasn't a red card, yellow card or even a foul. Ref bottled it and if his name ever appears on a Irish fixture again we should object.
After watching John O'Shea flute around for a game and a quarter the sight of someone who cares coming on to the pitch is what has most people excited.

joeSoap
18/09/2007, 11:40 AM
Wasn't a red card, yellow card or even a foul. Ref bottled it and if his name ever appears on a Irish fixture again we should object. Thats got to be one of the most idiotic posts I've read here in over 4 years. To say it wasn't even a foul demonstrates to me that you know absolutely nothing about the game of football. Clown!!

Billsthoughts
18/09/2007, 12:14 PM
The whole thread is ridiculous - did Hunt let the country down?? What a load of ******!!!
NmcD - if you are trying to get a discussion going try and come up with something decent!

Agreed. Worse than the Ireland v Scotland thread.;)
just trying to be different for the sake of it.
Irish fans always want effort. Mageady has ability but his performances over two games were devoid of any effort.
Mob???? your transition from shamrock waver to purist must be complete now...:D

shanman2
18/09/2007, 12:19 PM
Thats got to be one of the most idiotic posts I've read here in over 4 years. To say it wasn't even a foul demonstrates to me that you know absolutely nothing about the game of football. Clown!!

It was a red card simple as that. Hunt is a filthy player who cannot tackle! I think he is a great player but I think he has a bit of a nasty side to his game and every now and again it raises its head. He went to win the ball but the tackle was so bad I dont think the ref could look past a red... However if any of us had the chance to batter one of those diving fecks think we would have done the same and for that he is a HERO. He could have pulled out of the challenge on Cech is choose not to you dont fall to the ground trying to run after a ball. Hew didn mean to hurt him but to "let him know he was there"

citizenerased
18/09/2007, 12:27 PM

Your hardly playing a bit of Devils advocate there Neil are ya...:confused:

Desyf
18/09/2007, 12:28 PM
He's a hero - a fucikin hero!!!

No he isn't.

In the big scheme of things he has done very little for Ireland.....yet.

Getting sent off for what was an exceedingly stupid and overly aggressive tackle, in a game like that and with a referee like that, was very disappointing.
Heroic :rolleyes:

He really livened Ireland up on the night with his positive and energetic performance and he was exactly what we needed at the time. We did not need him having an early bath.

Hopefully, as someone has mentioned, he will learn from it. He can be a great player for us if he does.

NeilMcD
18/09/2007, 1:41 PM
Agreed. Worse than the Ireland v Scotland thread.;)
just trying to be different for the sake of it.
Irish fans always want effort. Mageady has ability but his performances over two games were devoid of any effort.
Mob???? your transition from shamrock waver to purist must be complete now...:D

Again trying to **** stirr. You dont know me or know anything about me so you should keep your **** stirring personal comments to yourself please. I have spent hard earned cash going to games for years so how dare you suggest I am some sort of shamrock waving ole oler.

You dont know the motivation for why I started the thread. If the only time you reply on this forum is to stir me up that says more about you than it ever will about me.

NeilMcD
18/09/2007, 1:47 PM
The whole thread is ridiculous - did Hunt let the country down?? What a load of ******!!!
NmcD - if you are trying to get a discussion going try and come up with something decent!
FFS - Stevie Wonder could see that Hunt is one of only a couple that give a sh!te! He's a hero - a fucikin hero!!!

Hunt did not give a ****e anymore than any of the guys out there. His style of play is to run around like that and it has done him well in his career. I like him as a player and his introduction gave us better balance. But just when we were coming back into the game, he basically through that away with a stupid and reckless challenge. To me getting send off for a stupid tackle is just as damaging as not tracking back.

BradyIsMyHero
18/09/2007, 2:11 PM
Referee was to blame.

No previous yellow card, no persistent fouling, Hunt won the ball (admittedly with studs up, but in the Premiership that's a straightforward yellow only)

The role of the referee should be to ensure that there is a good, fair game between two teams - not to decide the game. That's what that tw*t did

carloz
18/09/2007, 2:12 PM
Hunt did not give a ****e anymore than any of the guys out there. His style of play is to run around like that and it has done him well in his career. I like him as a player and his introduction gave us better balance. But just when we were coming back into the game, he basically through that away with a stupid and reckless challenge. To me getting send off for a stupid tackle is just as damaging as not tracking back.
It was hardly a stupid and reckless challenge. He was too committed and followed through with his trailing leg. never a sending off and Andy reid done a much worse tackle a minute later. The referree stupidly gave into the crowd and the czech player that was harrassing him. Alos maybe im alone on this but i think starting hunt would have had a major psycological effect on Cech. if i was the manager i would pbviously have started Hunt, and told him that whenever there was a set piece to stand right under cech's nose and look him in the eys, but say nothing. im actually serious about this, i think that would have been a very good ploy on our part. Simply put to say he let down the country is absurd. If thats the case Mcgeady let down the whole country in the two matches for playing like a Suunday League footballer

NeilMcD
18/09/2007, 2:25 PM
I agree McGeady was terrible and should not have started either of the matches to be honest. Hunt gives far more going back and forward than Mc Geady does at this moment in time.

OwlsFan
18/09/2007, 2:30 PM
You fell for his wind up :rolleyes:

As for Hunt's tackle, the referee doesn't get to see slow motions. When I first saw it I thought it would be red. The slow motion shows he got the ball so no, he didn't let his country down as he shouldn't have been given a red. No harm in letting the opposition know they can't dally on the ball. If it had been a two footed jump and he got sent off, yes it would have been stupid and he would have let the country down by being sent off.

Hunt is pretty much a hit and miss player in his dribbles but is certainly more effective than McGeady. Incidentally, I don't agree that the latter doesn't try. He's just not very good at what he tries. When we needed to keep the ball in the first 30 minutes, instead of a simple pass he'd either fall over trying something or fail to beat two players and lose possession.

NeilMcD
18/09/2007, 2:33 PM
[QUOTE=OwlsFan;773532]You fell for his wind up :rolleyes:

Well if that is all he has to offer this forum.

citizenerased
18/09/2007, 2:47 PM
bin this thread its a disgrace.......

NeilMcD
18/09/2007, 2:50 PM
Why bin it, cause you dont agree with it.

citizenerased
18/09/2007, 2:55 PM
no because it wasnt a red card offense, so he wasnt in the wrong so if he wasnt in the wrong how was he a disgrace? its like saying the guildford 4 were a disgrace to the country for being wrongly imprisoned for a crime they didnt commit...!!!

Dodge
18/09/2007, 3:12 PM
no because it wasnt a red card offense, so he wasnt in the wrong so if he wasnt in the wrong how was he a disgrace? its like saying the guildford 4 were a disgrace to the country for being wrongly imprisoned for a crime they didnt commit...!!!

Worst enalogy ever on this forum?

FWIW I thought he deserved to go and I think he's a dirty scummy little player. Constantly winding up opposition, leaving the boot in, throwing elbows and pulling jersies etc etc. He's also a damn fine player and way ahead of any other Irish midfielder in performance terms in England. (I think one or two may be more talented)

Did he let his country down? No, but he was still stupid for deliberately following through with his non tackling foot. And make no mistake, it was very deliberate

NeilMcD
18/09/2007, 3:37 PM
Of course it was deliberate as he has done it a number of times in the Premiership. Citizen it is a matter of opinion whether it was a red card or not. I respect your opinion that you thought it was not. I think it was so does the ref and so does Dodge and a few others. Probably more think it was not a red but it is not fact it is opinion for us all.

Stuttgart88
18/09/2007, 3:50 PM
I'd dispute the "deliberate" contention. I actually thought he withdrew his trailing leg.

I haven't seen it since it happened but that was the impression I had at the time.

zinedineontour
18/09/2007, 4:12 PM
It wasnt even a foul in my book just a good hard first time challenge which he clearly got the ball with his left foot and he actually held back his right foot but obviously momentum brought him through. Petr Cech even said it was not even a foul. How can the lad have let the country down when it was the czech players and weak refereeing that got him sent off ? If the players on pitch had shown the desire in the 20 or so mins hunt was on for the first 2 games we would not have had any problems . Yes the game is not all about commitment and passion but it makes a hell of a difference if you give 100% and make things happen like Hunt does. Hunt would have made a huge difference in Bratislava and Prague and how some on here can blame him shows the idiots we have supporting Ireland. Not the most talented footballer in the squad but if the other 10 on the field showed his character and determination we would be sitting pretty behind Germany in the group now.

Billsthoughts
18/09/2007, 4:16 PM
I'd dispute the "deliberate" contention. I actually thought he withdrew his trailing leg.

Thats what I thought as well. He pulled back his foot.

NeilMcD
18/09/2007, 4:20 PM
It wasnt even a foul in my book just a good hard first time challenge which he clearly got the ball with his left foot and he actually held back his right foot but obviously momentum brought him through. Petr Cech even said it was not even a foul. How can the lad have let the country down when it was the czech players and weak refereeing that got him sent off ? If the players on pitch had shown the desire in the 20 or so mins hunt was on for the first 2 games we would not have had any problems . Yes the game is not all about commitment and passion but it makes a hell of a difference if you give 100% and make things happen like Hunt does. Hunt would have made a huge difference in Bratislava and Prague and how some on here can blame him shows the idiots we have supporting Ireland. Not the most talented footballer in the squad but if the other 10 on the field showed his character and determination we would be sitting pretty behind Germany in the group now.

I would reckon that it shows the idiots we have supporting Ireland when he is a hero after less than 90 mins for Competitive football for Ireland whereas our top goalscorer of all time is abused from a height. However I am not prepared to go down the road of calling anybody on here an idiot on here as I believe its beneath both me the forum and the person that I abuse. Form is temporary and class is permanent in my book.

billybunter
18/09/2007, 9:54 PM
no, i do not feel he let his country down. The facts of the matter are this. He has been having an exceptional season in england, and is one of the few reading players performing over the first series of games. He deserved a run out against slovakia, didn't get it. He deserved to start agains the czechs based on the poor performance of Mcgeady against slovakia a few days earlier. He was only given a shot when Stan had no other choice. I have watched the tackle at least 15 times since it occured, and I can tell you there was far worse in the first 20 minutes of blackburn / chelsea on saturday. It was disgraceful to send him off, but the ref got the itch from the crowd, and played to the czech mob. mc'shane's tackle on baros was more deserving of a straight red if you think about it. Hunt gave us life in croker against slovakia, and also when he came on agains wales, anyone can see the impact he had on the crowd, and the team when he was introduced in those games. People are slamming him for inadequate performance in meaningless friendlies. Give the guy a chance. You cant have all his hunger and desire and passion on an "as needed basis" - the guy is 110% effort, and no one can argue with that. He most certainly did not let his country down. I dont think any of the players let their country down, as i think they all meant well as far as effort was concerned. O'shea and McGeady let themselves down with poor performances own over the course of the 2 games.

Billsthoughts
19/09/2007, 8:26 AM
I would reckon that it shows the idiots we have supporting Ireland when he is a hero after less than 90 mins for Competitive football for Ireland whereas our top goalscorer of all time is abused from a height. However I am not prepared to go down the road of calling anybody on here an idiot on here as I believe its beneath both me the forum and the person that I abuse. Form is temporary and class is permanent in my book.

well if you are such a rabid Ireland supporter surely that makes you an idiot no?
as has been pointed out a million times already on this thread...people admire the effort he puts in. nobody thinks he is the most skillful player ever but at a time when so many players commitment is in question(none more so than our "record goalscorer") its nice for the fans to see players who obviously want to play. You might think that going to all the matches lends your opinions weight but if you dont know anything bout football to begin with going to a million ireland matches wont help ya!