PDA

View Full Version : Our best current XI (no injuries etc)?

Closed Account 2
12/09/2007, 12:21 PM
What would you pick as our best current 11 ?

Assuming:-

-No injuries (all players at 100% fitness)
-No squabbles (eg Garvan, Hunt etc)

I'd go with

GK-Given
--------
LB-Harte
CB-Dunne
CB-McShane
RB-Finnan
--------
LM-Duff
CM-Garvan
CM-Steven Reid*
RM-Andy Reid*
**Hunt - I'll explain this later
--------
ST-Keane
ST-Doyle

I think that is the best bet in terms of mixing ability/youth/experience. I don't think there can be too many doubts about Shay, he's a great keeper and even our subs and reserves (Colin Doyle, Stack, etc) are good young players.

I think central defence picks itself. Dunne is our best player IMO, and also a great center back. Since Gary Breen left the scene we've not really had a concrete center back. Andy O'Brien has been a bit dodgy, so I'd go for McShane who's looked assured at Sunderland and could become a good player for us.

Finnan aside, on the flanks is where we really struggle at the moment. I don't think we have good natural defenders there. We seem to have a lot of mediocre players who can play full back (St. Ledger, Kelly, Foley, Harte, Joey O'Brien etc). Carr hasn't really been the same for the last few years, he's good to have on the bench but I wouldnt start with him, and due to his age I'd be tempted to use younger players - he is no longer one for the future.

I would play Ian Harte, we are weak at left full back irrespective of who is picked. In international football set pieces are vital - being good at them can win you games and he is our best free kick and corner taker. Picking him leaves us open down that flank but I'd try to limit that using other players. I'd make sure Dunne and Garvan (or Carsley) took on the left-of-center central roles in defence and midfield, and would encourage Duff to track back regularly. Remember it's not really lack of pace that scuppers Harte, it's more innate lack of defending ability.

Central Midfield would be Garvan (just gets the nod ahead of Carsley) with Duff on the left wing. The next major problem is on the right flank and the second midfielder. In a tight match I'd have Steven Reid in the center (I've always thought he plays better in the center) and Andy Reid on the right. This would shut up shop in the center, but also keep Reid on the pitch allowing him to build attacks. Steven Reid is, IMO, versitile enough to be able to switch out with Andy Reid and play on the right if needed. In a more open game I would play Andy Reid in the middle and Steven Hunt on the right, I think Hunt is good down any wing and think Andy Reid would be more effective in the middle. Duff is best on left wing so should always play there. We do have solid options on the bench here, like McGeady, Carsley and Kilbane.

Upfront I'd pick Robbie Keane and Kevin Doyle, with Stokes and Long on the bench or maybe Alan Lee if we needed to mix things up with a big striker. As well as Stokes and Long being young we also have Billy Clarke of Ipswich as a good option in the near future.

In my opinion that is a fairly strong team, which should be in contention for 2nd place in most Euro2008 groups. Other teams of similar strength are in contention (Scotland, Bosnia, Finland, Russia, Romania all spring to mind although perhaps the latter are a degree stronger). Obviously it's a good distance behind the likes of France, Germany etc in terms of strength, but I don't think it's very far from the Czechs and it is stronger than the Slovaks or Welsh teams.

gustavo
12/09/2007, 12:25 PM
Given
Finnan McShane Dunne Harte

A. Reid S. Reid Carsley Duff

Keane Doyle

If Harte gets any kind of form going with Sunderland i'd have him in the team , same with Duff and S. Reid , mostly picks itself really

kingdomkerry
12/09/2007, 12:27 PM
Given

Finnan
Dunne
McShane
Carr

Hunt
A Reid
Kilbane
Duff

Keane
Doyle

rambler14
12/09/2007, 12:33 PM
Given
Finnan Dunne McShane O'Shea

A.Reid S.Reid McPhail Hunt

Doyle Keane

I had to be controversial. I'm thinking beyond Carsley who is 33, we need a quality holding midfielder and I believe that the answer to that problem is McPhail. A quality player being overlooked at every squad.
I just think Duff is crap now, thats why hes not in my team.

paul_oshea
12/09/2007, 12:34 PM
ed when you put the logic to your arguments re: harte and the interchanging of the two reids, it makes for good reading. However we have seen nothing of owen garvan to say anything.

Hibs4Ever
12/09/2007, 1:37 PM
Given

Finnan - Dunne - McShane - Harte

S Reid - A Reid - Carsley - Duff

Keane - Doyle

mackannovic
12/09/2007, 2:36 PM
Given
Finnan Dunne O'Dea O'Shea
S.Ireland S.Reid A.Reid D.Duff
K.Doyle R.Keane

shelbourne1904
12/09/2007, 2:59 PM
Given
Finnan Dunne McShane O'Shea
S.Ireland S.Reid A.Reid D.Duff
K.Doyle R.Keane

Not 100% happy with O Shea for obvious reasons might also try Kilbane

Adrianovic
12/09/2007, 3:43 PM
Rambler, I disagree with you over McPhail. He flatters to deceive, he plays a lot of sideways passes that don't go anywhere and is too soft to be a genuine holding midfielder. I think there's deserved 8 or 9 players ahead of him to play central midfield.

I would have:

GK Given

RB Finnan
LB O'Shea
CB Dunne
CB McShane

RM Ireland
LM Duff
CM Carsley
CM Reid

CF Keane (c)
CF Doyle

Given, as has been said, picks himself. Perhaps the only player we have that could get into most sides in the World on merit, and I don't remember the last time he has let us down.

Finnan, ideally, should play at right back - but his problem is that he's the best option at left back as well. I've gone for O'Shea there, as on form, he can be a good player, but we haven't seen his form in a green shirt, ever. I could live with Harte, if not Kilbane can cover there. If we can't defend anyway, sure we may as well be positive. Dunne is the heart and soul of the team and McShane is learning from him all the time.

I feel Duff keeps his place on the count he can be so good. Carsley is now an important player for us. I would play two from three of Ireland, Reid and Hunt, in that order probably. Obviously, because Duff is so frequently unavailable, I would expect to play all three. Steven Reid has not been forgotten, I think his job would be to dislodge Carsley. Gibson and Potter will probably be in this line up in two years time. I would like to find a place for Kilbane as well, because he's such a good servant, however if we are to progress then I feel his involvement will have to decrease.

Keane plays. Doyle is his most able partner, i.e. the only one who has scored goals in the Premiership. I'd hold fire on picking Murphy and Stokes as much as possible until they get more games under their belts. Whatever happened to Clinton? I thought he was OK. I'd have him on the bench.

Ade

The Legend
12/09/2007, 5:07 PM
HARTE? Have you all lost your f**king minds?

rambler14
12/09/2007, 10:32 PM
I may be wrong about McPhail but Stan hasn't given him a fair chance which i think he deserves.
Duff is crap why do ye keep picking him in yeer teams. Hes headin down the same road as Kilbane, left-back.

Closed Account 2
13/09/2007, 12:10 AM
HARTE? Have you all lost your f**king minds?

Aside from Finnan, which full backs have played better for us since the wrold cup ?? We've not got a full back who can defend, so we may as well play Harte who has a bit of top level experience (World Cup, Champs Lg Semis, Spanish League). How many games have we lost by one goal ? If we had someone like Harte who can lash the ball in from 30+ yards we might have converted some of those defeats into draws and some of the draws into wins.

I may be wrong about McPhail but Stan hasn't given him a fair chance which i think he deserves.
Duff is crap why do ye keep picking him in yeer teams. Hes headin down the same road as Kilbane, left-back.

I agree that Duff isn't the force he once was, the only thing is , on form he can still be great, the other thing is decent teams always put their best marker on him, often they double up on him, this frees up our other midfielders like thr 2 Reids, to be more creative.

soccerc
13/09/2007, 12:46 AM
Carsley can go fcuk off again as far as I am concerned. He only came out of retirement to prolong his club career.

When he ditched Ireland in April 2004 that should have been the end of him IMHO

ainsie
13/09/2007, 7:17 AM
Who cares about our best team now, all we have to look forward to is friendlies( thats what the next 3 are now) so lets mix it up and see what we have. The next meaningfull game will be Sept 2008. So when the FAI decide not to admit their mistake Stan will have loads of time to fool us into believing that things are getting better.

Retire Harte, Retire Carsley, drop O shea, retire Kilbane,then pick your "best" team from the rest.

The Ball Boy
13/09/2007, 8:25 AM
Andy Reid isn't up to it in a 2 man central midfield, he hasn't got the legs simple as that. Maybe in a 3 man with Ireland, Carsley or Potter and him with Hunt and McGeady wide of that. But who do drop up front in that case. Central midfield if massive problem for us going forward.

Hibs4Ever
13/09/2007, 8:31 AM
Andy Reid isn't up to it in a 2 man central midfield, he hasn't got the legs simple as that. Maybe in a 3 man with Ireland, Carsley or Potter and him with Hunt and McGeady wide of that. But who do drop up front in that case. Central midfield if massive problem for us going forward.

Give it up with McGeady. He should never play for us again. No where NEAR good enough for international football

robbie_B
13/09/2007, 10:40 AM
Given

Finnan McShane Dunne Gibson Hunt

Ireland Steven Reid Andy Reid

Keane

Doyle

Scruttox
13/09/2007, 11:18 AM
What would you pick as our best current 11 ?

Assuming:-

-No injuries (all players at 100% fitness)
-No squabbles (eg Garvan, Hunt etc)

I'd go with

GK-Given
--------
LB-Harte
CB-Dunne
CB-McShane
RB-Finnan
--------
LM-Duff
CM-Garvan
CM-Steven Reid*
RM-Andy Reid*
**Hunt - I'll explain this later
--------
ST-Keane
ST-Doyle

I think that is the best bet in terms of mixing ability/youth/experience. I don't think there can be too many doubts about Shay, he's a great keeper and even our subs and reserves (Colin Doyle, Stack, etc) are good young players.

I think central defence picks itself. Dunne is our best player IMO, and also a great center back. Since Gary Breen left the scene we've not really had a concrete center back. Andy O'Brien has been a bit dodgy, so I'd go for McShane who's looked assured at Sunderland and could become a good player for us.

Finnan aside, on the flanks is where we really struggle at the moment. I don't think we have good natural defenders there. We seem to have a lot of mediocre players who can play full back (St. Ledger, Kelly, Foley, Harte, Joey O'Brien etc). Carr hasn't really been the same for the last few years, he's good to have on the bench but I wouldnt start with him, and due to his age I'd be tempted to use younger players - he is no longer one for the future.

I would play Ian Harte, we are weak at left full back irrespective of who is picked. In international football set pieces are vital - being good at them can win you games and he is our best free kick and corner taker. Picking him leaves us open down that flank but I'd try to limit that using other players. I'd make sure Dunne and Garvan (or Carsley) took on the left-of-center central roles in defence and midfield, and would encourage Duff to track back regularly. Remember it's not really lack of pace that scuppers Harte, it's more innate lack of defending ability.

Central Midfield would be Garvan (just gets the nod ahead of Carsley) with Duff on the left wing. The next major problem is on the right flank and the second midfielder. In a tight match I'd have Steven Reid in the center (I've always thought he plays better in the center) and Andy Reid on the right. This would shut up shop in the center, but also keep Reid on the pitch allowing him to build attacks. Steven Reid is, IMO, versitile enough to be able to switch out with Andy Reid and play on the right if needed. In a more open game I would play Andy Reid in the middle and Steven Hunt on the right, I think Hunt is good down any wing and think Andy Reid would be more effective in the middle. Duff is best on left wing so should always play there. We do have solid options on the bench here, like McGeady, Carsley and Kilbane.

Upfront I'd pick Robbie Keane and Kevin Doyle, with Stokes and Long on the bench or maybe Alan Lee if we needed to mix things up with a big striker. As well as Stokes and Long being young we also have Billy Clarke of Ipswich as a good option in the near future.

In my opinion that is a fairly strong team, which should be in contention for 2nd place in most Euro2008 groups. Other teams of similar strength are in contention (Scotland, Bosnia, Finland, Russia, Romania all spring to mind although perhaps the latter are a degree stronger). Obviously it's a good distance behind the likes of France, Germany etc in terms of strength, but I don't think it's very far from the Czechs and it is stronger than the Slovaks or Welsh teams.

Cast of Fair City?:confused:

DmanDmythDledge
13/09/2007, 2:56 PM
Given

Finnan
Dunne
McShane
O'Shea

S. Reid
A. Reid
Garvan

Keane
Duff

Doyle

This is the team I think we should have for the next qualification campaign, with Doyle, O'Halloran, Hunt, Ireland, Long, Keogh providing cover.

rambler14
13/09/2007, 4:07 PM
Potter looks to be the best hope of the new generation. I heard of Owen Garvan but I didn't realise hes good enough to be picked in our best team.

Buller
13/09/2007, 4:13 PM
:confused:
Owen Garvan?!!!

McGeady10
13/09/2007, 5:59 PM
Give it up with McGeady. He should never play for us again. No where NEAR good enough for international football

What an idiot you are. McGeady is maybe the only Irishman playing in the Champoins League this year. He was Celtic's MOTM at home to Spartak Moscow and played well home and away to AC Milan only 6 months ago. The fact you judge him on two shockers playing in a position he's only played maybe 2 or 3 times in his club career sums you up.

Morbo
13/09/2007, 6:20 PM
I'd go with

GK-Given
--------
LB-Kilbane
CB-Dunne
CB-McShane
RB-Finnan
--------
LM-Hunt
CM-Andy Reid
CM-Steven Reid
RM-Duff
--------
ST-Keane
ST-Doyle

LB is a problem but I think Kilbane is the best of a poor bunch, I wouldn't play Harte, I don't think set-pieces are going to compensate enough for him being a very poor defender.

backstothewall
13/09/2007, 7:03 PM
-------------Given-------------

Finnan Dunne (C) O'Brien Harte

McGeady S Reid Carsley Hunt

------- Doyle Keane----------

This side in my opinion has natural balance. All are in their prefered positions. O' Brien i rate, he was fantastic for Newcastle, and i think he can get back to that, but this depends on him getting game time somewhere. McShane i think is just to short to play CB, its only a matter of time before this catches him out imo.

McGeady I would persist with. Its only a matter of time before his Celtic form translates to an irish shirt. Duff isn't doing it nearly regularly enough at the minute, whether through injury or loss of form, or both, thus Hunt's inclusion.

Carsley is getting on, but he is the only destructive midfielder we have, unless Douglas is included, and he just isn't up to it. League 1 is to low a level when there is a premiership alternative. I haven't really seen Potter play to be honest, but we need someone to break things up in there, and all we seem to produce are lightweight attack minded midfielders.

And at left back, its not that i think Harte won't make a mistake, just that he is no more likely to than Kilbane, but he can hit free kicks.

McGeady10
13/09/2007, 7:52 PM
-------------Given-------------

Finnan Dunne (C) O'Brien Harte

McGeady S Reid Carsley Hunt

------- Doyle Keane----------

This side in my opinion has natural balance. All are in their prefered positions. O' Brien i rate, he was fantastic for Newcastle, and i think he can get back to that, but this depends on him getting game time somewhere. McShane i think is just to short to play CB, its only a matter of time before this catches him out imo.

McGeady I would persist with. Its only a matter of time before his Celtic form translates to an irish shirt. Duff isn't doing it nearly regularly enough at the minute, whether through injury or loss of form, or both, thus Hunt's inclusion.

Carsley is getting on, but he is the only destructive midfielder we have, unless Douglas is included, and he just isn't up to it. League 1 is to low a level when there is a premiership alternative. I haven't really seen Potter play to be honest, but we need someone to break things up in there, and all we seem to produce are lightweight attack minded midfielders.

And at left back, its not that i think Harte won't make a mistake, just that he is no more likely to than Kilbane, but he can hit free kicks.

You have to remember. McGeady does NOT play right wing for Celtic. He doesn't even play left wing. He plays left midfield with a licence to come inside and try and influence the game. He is not a winger, has never been a winger and on the evidence of the last two games will never be a winger.

Give him more freedom though and he's proved he can trouble ANY team.

backstothewall
13/09/2007, 8:21 PM
i agree, he is not the classic british winger who get chalk on his boots, he has a much more continental game, something akin to Christiano Ronaldo, though not quite as good obviously.

I see him more in the role stephen gerrard was playing for liverpool on the right last season. A tough centre pairing of Reid and Carsley, and a solid Finnan at RB, would allow him that freedom.

He doesn't play on the right for Celtic, but it is his prefered position as i understand. Why he isn't on the right for Celtic is a question for a Celtic board. I was at the 0-0 Killie game, and it was crying out for him to swap wings. Everything went through the middle that day, and it was easy for the Kilmarnock back four to sit quite narrow and kick the ball away all afternoon. With no nakamura for most of the game, Celtic lacked a bit of cutting edge, which i thought McGeady running at a fullback and getting to the byline could have offered. On the left that day he seemed to keep cutting inside from the wing rather than starting off infield and at least having the option of going outside

And i think he could do that for us

McGeady10
13/09/2007, 9:10 PM
i agree, he is not the classic british winger who get chalk on his boots, he has a much more continental game, something akin to Christiano Ronaldo, though not quite as good obviously.

I see him more in the role stephen gerrard was playing for liverpool on the right last season. A tough centre pairing of Reid and Carsley, and a solid Finnan at RB, would allow him that freedom.

He doesn't play on the right for Celtic, but it is his prefered position as i understand. Why he isn't on the right for Celtic is a question for a Celtic board. I was at the 0-0 Killie game, and it was crying out for him to swap wings. Everything went through the middle that day, and it was easy for the Kilmarnock back four to sit quite narrow and kick the ball away all afternoon. With no nakamura for most of the game, Celtic lacked a bit of cutting edge, which i thought McGeady running at a fullback and getting to the byline could have offered. On the left that day he seemed to keep cutting inside from the wing rather than starting off infield and at least having the option of going outside

And i think he could do that for us

His preferred position is any attacking role that gives him the freedom to roam around looking to make things happen.

backstothewall
13/09/2007, 9:28 PM
His preferred position is any attacking role that gives him the freedom to roam around looking to make things happen.

Thats him and anyone who ever played the game then.

He has to have a few defensive responsibilities and a defined role, but i agree with your point, he has to have a bit of freedom to show what he can do. Ronaldo can impress so much for united because he knows that Carrick or Hargreaves and Neville can bail him out if he is caught to far up the pitch. Same with Liverpool last season with Xavi Alonso, Mascherano and Finnan, although Gerrard prefers to be through the middle

Reid Finnan and Carsley can do that for McGeady, and for us. Though he needs to track back better sometimes.

If he is is going to become a luxury player, Ireland can't afford him, and frankly, he hasn't shown he is good enough yet to wait about until someone gives him the ball. Figo got away with it for Portugal, but he was FIFA world player of the year at the time.

shaneker
14/09/2007, 12:01 AM
I'd have...

GK - Given

LB - Harte
CB - Dunne
CB - McShane
RB - Finnan

LM - Hunt
CM - A. Reid
CM - S. Reid
RM - Ireland

ST - Keane
ST - Doyle

The LB situation is a tough one, we are so short of genuine quality at that level but I think whoever it was who mentioned Harte's ability at set-pieces had it spot on. Harte is and will never be a top-quality defender, we know that, but then neither will O'Shea, Kilbane, Kelly etc so you look for the different kind of quality which places one above the rest. He has one vital ingredient the others don't have and that is sorely missing from our team (I'm struggling to remember us scoring a direct free kick for ages, maybe Andy Reid in the last campaign? Pat on the back to whoever remembers that one...)

The midfield, for me, is a simple choice - Damien Duff is now firmly out of the Irish team. For all his pace and creativity, he hasn't played well for us in a competetive game for years and before the inevitable few go 'well neither has Robbie so drop him too' there is no viable alternative to Robbie but with Hunt we have Duff's replacement, and one who I feel is more geared towards the style of play we need; high tempo and aggressive, despite not having Duff's technical ability. That said, should Duff ever rediscover his WC02 form for Newcastle, he should be right back in the team and Hunt moved to the right wing.

S. Reid and Ireland are in because I think Carsley is finished (however, I think we should remember the number of fans who were crying out for him to return after the Cyprus game and be grateful he has done his best; that said, the legs have gone) and Reid has shown great promise as a niggling and smart player in the middle of the park who has more skill than he is given credit for. Ireland quite simply scores goals for us, despite his slightness and tendancy to be invisible he has scored important goals for us in a group when we haven't scored many important goals (the first in Cyprus, the first in Slovakia, the goal at Croker against Slovakia), we need a player like that on the field.

McGeady has quality but will never fulfil it whilst he is playing 90% of his football every season against sh!te defenders who will let him run at them all day long - its making him naive and liable to lose possession against international quality opposition. Sadly for Celtic, for Ireland's sake I say he should go to England or preferably to the Continent. I'd stick with him on the bench.

Kilbane could be a decent option if we're stuck and need someone to be awkward in the air, provides emergency cover at LB and LM if needed.

Long, Stokes, Murphy are all top of the pile so far for cover up front but there is a serious streak of mediocrity in terms of their goalscoring records at the top level. These HAVE to improve if we are to have striking options when chasing games.

Err, sorry. Just meant to post my team and leave it there!

McGeady10
14/09/2007, 5:13 AM
McGeady has quality but will never fulfil it whilst he is playing 90% of his football every season against sh!te defenders who will let him run at them all day long - its making him naive and liable to lose possession against international quality opposition. Sadly for Celtic, for Ireland's sake I say he should go to England or preferably to the Continent. I'd stick with him on the bench.

Here's me thinking a team full of SPL players just beat France home and away...

Hibs4Ever
14/09/2007, 7:03 AM
What an idiot you are. McGeady is maybe the only Irishman playing in the Champoins League this year. He was Celtic's MOTM at home to Spartak Moscow and played well home and away to AC Milan only 6 months ago. The fact you judge him on two shockers playing in a position he's only played maybe 2 or 3 times in his club career sums you up.

I don't give a flying rats ass what he does for celtic. And its not just TWO bad games. EVERY game except denmark he's been sh!t. Your username and your previous posts on this and other threads says enough to me to end this arguement here. McGeady is NOT good enough for internationl football.

PS: "McGeady is only Irishman playing in Champions League this year" shows you know NOTHING

shaneker
14/09/2007, 9:46 AM
Here's me thinking a team full of SPL players just beat France home and away...

Thats why I said 90%. There are some good players in the SPL but they are a minority. Playing against teams such as St Mirren, Gretna, Dundee Utd and Motherwell in the majority of his games will not advance McGeady as a footballer, and 4 games with Rangers and possibly 6 or 8 in the Champions League per year(assuming he stays fit and in the team) aren't enough to compensate for that.

Ordinary Fan
14/09/2007, 10:31 AM
I'd pick...

GK - Given

LB - Harte
CB - Dunne
CB - O'Shea
RB - Finnan

LM - Duff
CM - A. Reid
CM - S. Reid
RM - O'Brien (joey)

ST - Keane
ST - Doyle

LB is hard to call as it it trying to find someone who can play there. Maybe someone will come true.
McShane has a lot to learn and lacks pace.
A fit and motivated Duff is the most creative player we have and scares defenders.
While Ireland has scored an amazing amoutn of goals, he has gone missing in all the matches and 2 shots against the Slovacs is not enough. O'brien is a natural on the right.
S Reid has yet to provide the goods but his performances before he got injured showed he was starting to deliver on his potential.