PDA

View Full Version : 20 moments that shook irish sport

Dodge
12/09/2007, 10:55 AM
http://www.rte.ie/tv/20moments/index.html

The sale of Glenmalure is included, along with a fair amount of FAI debacles.

Wouldn't agree with all of them being included (but then I'd have Ollie v Marney/Mbabazi in there) but still think everyone should vote

dcfcsteve
12/09/2007, 11:26 AM
Interesting enough wee poll there, though a few relative non-events included.

Milltown closure is putting in a decent show at around about mid-ranking out of the 20. Would be good to push it further up the pack.

Schumi
12/09/2007, 11:29 AM
Can't believe that Martin Johnson nonsense is so high. Saipan will obviously come top, Michelle Smith probably second.

finnpark
12/09/2007, 11:45 AM
Where is the Shelbourne liquidation trouble? :confused:

dcfcsteve
12/09/2007, 11:59 AM
Where is the Shelbourne liquidation trouble? :confused:

In fairness, not a huge moment for Irish sport. It hasn't even changed anything within the EL - if it had lead to wholesale change of the rules etc then I'd have agreed.

Dodge
12/09/2007, 12:07 PM
In fairness, not a huge moment for Irish sport. It hasn't even changed anything within the EL - if it had lead to wholesale change of the rules etc then I'd have agreed.

Its easily as big a moment as somebody calling Kerry fans animals. And it remains to be seen how big the Shels thing is. I honestly think it'll be bigger than Kilcoyne selling Milltown

dcfcsteve
12/09/2007, 12:13 PM
Its easily as big a moment as somebody calling Kerry fans animals. And it remains to be seen how big the Shels thing is. I honestly think it'll be bigger than Kilcoyne selling Milltown

Agree on the Kerry thing - that was just a filler in there.

But what remains to be seen re the Shels case ? I didn't think there was anything on-going from it ? :confused:

Even if Shels went out of existence now - and there's no suggestion that they are in danger of doing so - they're no longer a premier club, and won't be officially champions any longer in a few months, so them going bust would be less newsworthy or surprising now than it would've been even only 6 months ago. Them possibly going bust is a big 'if', but it's the only ongoing thing form their shenanigans that I can think of.

Dodge
12/09/2007, 12:23 PM
Even if Shels went out of existence now - and there's no suggestion that they are in danger of doing so - they're no longer a premier club, and won't be officially champions any longer in a few months, so them going bust would be less newsworthy or surprising now than it would've been even only 6 months ago. Them possibly going bust is a big 'if', but it's the only ongoing thing form their shenanigans that I can think of.

Well the sale of TOlka still has to be resolved, the pressures obviously contributed to Ollie's illnesses, there are investigations by the revenue still ongoing, and the fact that one of the most successful sides in recent years is very much in danger of going bust IS particularly newsworthy to me, and other LOI fans. As one of the few teams that broke out of the LOI and into the public's consciousness, Shels folding would be big news (witness the Prime Time special a couple of months ago)

osarusan
12/09/2007, 12:51 PM
interesting that Roche's drug scandal is there, but his actually doing the cycling treble itself isn't.

Where's Michael Kiernan's drop goal?

Where's the penalty shootout against Romania?

Boxing in Barcelona in 92?

Dodge
12/09/2007, 12:57 PM
its moments that shook sport. None of them relate to any actual achievements

osarusan
12/09/2007, 1:04 PM

Very true, very true.

Risteard
12/09/2007, 1:58 PM
A fight in Compromise Rules?
:eek::eek::eek:

Torn-Ado
12/09/2007, 4:05 PM
All that makes for very depressing reading.

FarmHoop
12/09/2007, 4:09 PM
Interesting enough wee poll there, though a few relative non-events included.

Milltown closure is putting in a decent show at around about mid-ranking out of the 20. Would be good to push it further up the pack.

I reckon people should

superfrank
12/09/2007, 4:17 PM
Rule 42, Cian O'Connor's horse, England '95 and Glenamlure are the ones that stand out imo.

CuanaD
12/09/2007, 7:04 PM
Negative attitude that is typical of RTE.
I only gave 1 star to DeBruin, Sipan, cr4p like that.
but 5 to Glenmalure

Billy Lord
12/09/2007, 11:49 PM
Rule 42, Cian O'Connor's horse, England '95 and Glenamlure are the ones that stand out imo.

Rule 42 still stands. The GAA merely lifted it temporarily and quite specifically to cater for certain games in Croke Park. Big deal.

dcfcsteve
12/09/2007, 11:56 PM
Rule 42 still stands. The GAA merely lifted it temporarily and quite specifically to cater for certain games in Croke Park. Big deal.

It is the thin-edge of the wedge though BL. The hoodoo has been broken, the genie is out of the bottle/the cat's out of the bag. And I'm running low on cliches.....

crc
13/09/2007, 12:17 AM
What about the Rugby team losing to Argentina in the 1999 World Cup QF play-off? surely that 'shook Irish sport'(?).

Or closer to home, what about Derry City being forced to resign from the Irish League, surely that was a more serious event than (for example) Martin Johnson standing on the wrong side of the carpet!

pineapple stu
13/09/2007, 12:20 AM
Negative attitude that is typical of RTE.
I only gave 1 star to DeBruin, Sipan, cr4p like that.
but 5 to Glenmalure
De Bruin was a fairly major revelation at the time. Most of us, at best, didn't want to believe it. Deserves to be in there.

Some of them are nonsense, but that's always going to be the way. I'd have the eL Genesis Report in there if it were my list!

Billy Lord
13/09/2007, 12:47 AM
It is the thin-edge of the wedge though BL. The hoodoo has been broken, the genie is out of the bottle/the cat's out of the bag. And I'm running low on cliches.....

And if you believe that you know nothing about the Rovers/Tallaght saga.

soccerc
13/09/2007, 12:49 AM

Indeed Billy, but maybe SRFC need to be more proactive in getting the facts across to the grat unwashed ;)

Billy Lord
13/09/2007, 1:12 AM
Indeed Billy, but maybe SRFC need to be more proactive in getting the facts across to the grat unwashed ;)

Unfortunately, the great unwashed couldn't give a monkey's. They just want the odd day out. Ole.

Tenderloins
13/09/2007, 10:11 AM
Showed the poll to someone yesterday. He couldn't understand why 'Bloody Sunday' in Croke Park wasn't included.
Other ones such as the Child abuse scandal in Irish Swimming a few years back I would rate higher than the likes of Paudie calling the Kerry fans animals.
Of the ones in the poll
Saipan, Shergar, Landsdowne riot in 1985 and rule 42 and of course the sale of Milltown, all stand out

dcfcsteve
13/09/2007, 10:12 AM

The Rovers Tallaght saga is a petty little club skirmish in south-west Dublin. Whilst they do appear to have the blessing of Jones Rd in their efforts to surpress soccer in that area, I don't think it would stop Donegal letting a one-off game of football happen in Ballybofey, for example.

All change has to start somewhere....

dcfcsteve
13/09/2007, 10:14 AM
He couldn't understand why 'Bloody Sunday' in Croke Park wasn't included.

That's a good point actually. The split of association football into 2 separate entities in 1921 should also be in there as well.

But i suspect they didn't think any earlier than the 60's.