PDA

View Full Version : U.C.D. Game

sligoman
11/09/2007, 1:01 PM
We should win I think, although Peers is out through suspension:(. Really need to start getting back to 3 points per games now or else Europe is definitely out of the question. When was the last time(if ever) we managed to get 9 points off UCD in a season? I certaintly don't remember it anyway.

If everyone else is fit to play, prediction 2-1 Rovers.

Rovers1
11/09/2007, 8:23 PM
When was the last time(if ever) we managed to get 9 points off UCD in a season? I certaintly don't remember it

would have been at least a good 25 years ago, because weve only beten UCD once in Belfield since 1975 afaik.

Rovers fan
11/09/2007, 8:24 PM
cant see us getting into eurpope if we fail to win this. its a must win game. dont think there will be much in it. Either a draw or rovers to just shade it. I can see foyser scoring a free kick!

pineapple stu
11/09/2007, 9:56 PM
When was the last time(if ever) we managed to get 9 points off UCD in a season?
It's never happened. You did get 6 out of 6 in 1980/81 (and beat us in the Cup that year) and '81/82.

John83
12/09/2007, 6:37 PM
would have been at least a good 25 years ago, because weve only beten UCD once in Belfield since 1975 afaik.
We've only been in the league since 79.

Hard to call this one - you folks should be favourites, but we're very unpredictable recently, so a surprise isn't out of the question.

feo123
13/09/2007, 9:20 PM
its a must win really, we have to be beating teams like this at home (no disrespect). think we'll have a full squad apart from peers, raff had a knock but should be ok....
hope judgy gets back on the score sheet anyway, give him a wee boost maybe if he needs one
i think 2-0 to rovers, both goals in the 2nd half

Poor Student
14/09/2007, 12:44 PM
Sligo should be favourites for this one. We've got the capability to beat you but we've been blowing hot and cold (cold more often sadly) and have injury trouble. Sligo are in good form this year and have the edge on us in terms of encounters this season.

sligoman
15/09/2007, 10:50 PM
****e game, but deserved the win. Not much else to say apart from the ref was a joke at the best of times.

red arrow
16/09/2007, 10:52 AM
missed game tonite. what was crowd like. who played well ? who played
poorly? i see hughes scored again. from what im hearing drogheda are really out to sign him and have offered 2g per week. we all know rovers cant match that but they should be making some overtures toward him as i believe he is very fond of sligo and is well settled here. so money may not be everything. next up bohs? is this correct. if so hopefully we will have a big crowd travelling. if we could sneek a win up there it would be fantastic. and i think we can. but we need as much support as possible so let everybody get the word out to all their friends in dublin. this is now our cup final

jamie m
16/09/2007, 11:41 AM
3 points were vital last night if we want to be serious contenders fro a top 4 finish, the game might not have been the best but we got the win,sets us up nicely for bohs especially with us not having a game next week, it should give guys like judge and faz a chance to have a much needed rest,fair play to all in the jinks ave stand for the non-stop signing, was a bit disapointed with the crowd, i know u.c.d might not be the most attractive fixture on paper but defo think the lads deserve a better turnout considering how well we are doing compared to the doom and gloom at the start of the season,

kkontour
16/09/2007, 11:50 AM
Thought the football wasnt that bad, some good passing. Ventre doesnt take any prisoners, does he? Still, a ref who was giving frees for nothing didnt see anything wrong with his tackle, hope the UCD guys injury isnt too bad. Id say the RWC took some of the fair weathers away. The blue stand choir did make is sound fuller than it was. Bit of a nervous end but we got the result we deserved.

Rovers fan
16/09/2007, 2:18 PM
good result. a very dissapointing crowd but the rugby match definitely was a big reason for that. Great atmosphere in the blue stand. One thing i did notice was that fax was raging when foy wanted to take the penalty. he didnt celebrate the gol, he went straight to the half way line and waited for kick off. he didnt seem to put in the same effort afterwards. judge got a vital rest and hopefully he will be fresh for bohs. Very sloppy defending for their goal

Shiba
16/09/2007, 4:28 PM
missed game tonite. what was crowd like. who played well ? who played
poorly? i see hughes scored again. from what im hearing drogheda are really out to sign him and have offered 2g per week. we all know rovers cant match that but they should be making some overtures toward him as i believe he is very fond of sligo and is well settled here. so money may not be everything. next up bohs? is this correct. if so hopefully we will have a big crowd travelling. if we could sneek a win up there it would be fantastic. and i think we can. but we need as much support as possible so let everybody get the word out to all their friends in dublin. this is now our cup final

I love this part of the above statement "Who played poorly?".who said any of them did. Any word on the Ucd lad.Hard but fair tackle, heard thee crack from where me sitting.Thought the incident knocked us off our stride!

DmanDmythDledge
16/09/2007, 4:35 PM
Any word on the Ucd lad.Hard but fair tackle, heard thee crack from where me sitting.
I think he's broken his leg in two places. He pulled his leg back to shoot but the defender got a last ditch tackle in. Doyle ended up kicking the defender' leg full force, his ankle making contact. I was right infront of it- horrific thing to happen.

As for the match we deserved nothing, not even a goal.

Shedzer
16/09/2007, 6:15 PM
the UCD lads leg is broke afaik

Rovers fan
16/09/2007, 6:40 PM
just wondering, how many ucd fans were there apart from yourself DDD?

Rory H
16/09/2007, 7:01 PM
injuries to judge and hughes. hughes and o grady suspended for the bohs game

DmanDmythDledge
16/09/2007, 7:47 PM
just wondering, how many ucd fans were there apart from yourself DDD?
There was 10 of us there. I was on my own to the left of your fans in the Blue Stand for the first half and joined the rest of us in the Railway End for the second half.

avvenalaf
16/09/2007, 11:44 PM
Dman, sorry to say it but that is the worst UCD team I've seen in years.

DmanDmythDledge
17/09/2007, 12:04 AM
While that is a fair comment based on last night's game (we had a few injuries though) that isn't the case at all. We probably have the strongest team we've had since around 2000/01. We'd be higher up the table if we had been able to get our best XI on the pitch consistently.

rusheenrover
17/09/2007, 11:52 AM
good result. a very dissapointing crowd but the rugby match definitely was a big reason for that. Great atmosphere in the blue stand. One thing i did notice was that fax was raging when foy wanted to take the penalty. he didnt celebrate the gol, he went straight to the half way line and waited for kick off. he didnt seem to put in the same effort afterwards. judge got a vital rest and hopefully he will be fresh for bohs. Very sloppy defending for their goal

Good point re penalty RF. It reminded me of the Conor O'Grady/Marcus Hallows incident in Cork a number of years back. It was a crazy situation and should not happen at this level of football.

As I saw it Foy and Faz tussled for the ball with Foy getting it. Hughes then took it from Foy and gave it to Faz who then gave it back to Foy. As you said Faz did not celebrate the goal and did not go near Foy after he scored. I would also agree with you that Faz's performance deteriorated after this

On a positive note I felt it was a very good display with most playing well and all giving 100%. We could have won more easily with plenty of chances created.

sligoman
17/09/2007, 11:56 AM
Foy is our main(and best imo) penalty taker. He was right to take it. Faz had only been taking them because Foy had been dropped.

Red4Eva
17/09/2007, 2:50 PM
Faz has never let us down bar the penalty shoot out this year. Am i right Foy missed a couple last year ? One against UCD and one agianst somebody else i think but not sure.

missed v dublin city in 2005, awful penalty. got lucky v bray
. faz tries to be smart by havin a quick glance to the wrong side when he's taking it. i prefer foyzer's method but letting faz take em is good for his confidence although faz should grow up and stop whinging.

feo123
17/09/2007, 3:16 PM
another week, another player...judge last week, faz now. stop complaining. if ye know what its like to be a striker wanting to score, then say what you want. otherwise dont bother saying faz should 'grow up'.

Red4Eva
17/09/2007, 4:00 PM
another week, another player...judge last week, faz now. stop complaining. if ye know what its like to be a striker wanting to score, then say what you want. otherwise dont bother saying faz should 'grow up'.

wtf feo?! it's great that faz's hungry for goals and wants to take penalties but do you think it's good that faz won't celebrate with his TEAMmates when the TEAM takes a 2 goal lead?

feo123
17/09/2007, 4:03 PM
wtf feo?! it's great that faz's hungry for goals and wants to take penalties but do you think it's good that faz won't celebrate with his TEAMmates when the TEAM takes a 2 goal lead?

sure he was in a huff over it. i know how it would have felt. he played well on saturday. i couldnt give a **** whether he celebrated or not.

jamie m
17/09/2007, 4:12 PM
in a way its good that both players are eager to take penos, faz wants to carry on what has been a great season with another goal while foyzer is eager to make his mark after getting into the team for the last few games, easy way to solve the schoolyard arguments- decide before game who is on penos!

pineapple stu
17/09/2007, 5:29 PM
We've more injuries at the moment than I remember in recent times. Tony Mac, Ian Bermingham, Alan McNally, Paul Byrne, Paul Crowley and Shane Fitzgerald - all would have been in the squad, and the first four would have been in the team. Derek Doyle as well now. 2-1's not a bad result under those circumstances.

roversman
17/09/2007, 8:52 PM
injuries to judge and hughes. hughes and o grady suspended for the bohs game

well if ogrady dint wave his hand and mouth at the ref he would
be playing against bohs. not the first time he has done this this season

Rovers fan
17/09/2007, 9:35 PM

wtf are you on about feo. im not complaining about faz, i thought he played well but i just pointed out what i noticed what i saw, and i wasnt the only one either. now feo this is a public forum and we should be allowed to post our views without you running down our throats saying we are criticising the team.

Red&White Rover
17/09/2007, 9:43 PM
feo, i think your slightly over defensive of players...

feo123
17/09/2007, 10:20 PM
wtf are you on about feo. im not complaining about faz, i thought he played well but i just pointed out what i noticed what i saw, and i wasnt the only one either. now feo this is a public forum and we should be allowed to post our views without you running down our throats saying we are criticising the team.

didnt say you said anything, didnt even read what you said, never do :p

feo, i think your slightly over defensive of players...

nah, not really. just know what its like to be a footballer at a way lower quality level than the rovers players, its much harder and more pressure on them. just dont like when people give out about them. every player goes out and does their best. no one goes out to give anything less than that, thats a fact!!
just think some people are too easily annoyed when it comes to player performances

Rovers fan
18/09/2007, 8:26 PM
didnt say you said anything, didnt even read what you said, never do :p

clearly you do if your replying to what i said.

Darco Ooragnak
18/09/2007, 8:27 PM
Highlights (http://foot.ie/showthread.php?p=773773#post773773)

feo123
18/09/2007, 9:09 PM
clearly you do if your replying to what i said.

clearly i was replying to what red 4 eva said

Rovers fan
18/09/2007, 9:23 PM
clearly i was replying to what red 4 eva said

why did you quote me so?!!

feo123
18/09/2007, 9:25 PM
i didn't quote you once in the whole thread......

sligoman
18/09/2007, 9:25 PM
i didn't quote you once in the whole thread......Check again feo;)

feo123
18/09/2007, 9:28 PM
maybe i did after i posted the comment about Faz, but not before it

avvenalaf
18/09/2007, 9:32 PM
Now. ladies, behave.

Bunny Kelly
18/09/2007, 9:33 PM
Who went up front with Faz after Judge went off?

feo123
18/09/2007, 9:34 PM
Who went up front with Faz after Judge went off?

hughes