PDA

View Full Version : Stephen Reid Injury Update?

as_i_say
11/09/2007, 12:35 PM
Since theres a lot of talk and wishing about this lad coming back-anyone in the know? The 2 reids as a center partnership would be finely balanced IMO.

mackannovic
11/09/2007, 12:55 PM
He's back in full training for Blackburn this week. His knee is fine, he was due back earlier but a hamstring injury caused supposedly by his hard work(the clubs official line) had set him back.

elroy
11/09/2007, 1:40 PM
Ya I think there is an outside chance of him been available for the German and Czech games - may be too late by then though.

mackannovic
11/09/2007, 2:02 PM
Ya I think there is an outside chance of him been available for the German and Czech games - may be too late by then though.

I'd safely say he'd be there fit and ready. Hughes expects him to be fully fit and ready in 2-3 weeks.

carloz
11/09/2007, 4:25 PM
I really doubt Blackburn would want to release him for those games. In fact id go as far as saying they will hold back his first team comeback till after the Germany game. Remember his long injury started away to Germnay last September

Irish_Praha
11/09/2007, 4:30 PM
I really doubt Blackburn would want to release him for those games. In fact id go as far as saying they will hold back his first team comeback till after the Germany game. Remember his long injury started away to Germnay last September

Or maybe they will want him to get some match practice.

Ordinary Fan
11/09/2007, 4:31 PM
He might be physicaly fit but never match-fit in that time. He will have a hard job getting a game for Blackburn anyway.

carloz
11/09/2007, 4:37 PM
He will have a hard job getting a game for Blackburn anyway.

Ah he should walk in i would think. Beside Savage is a dodgy spot for Blackburn. Tugay is past it and Mokoena hasnt really proven himself.
It pains me to look at this website http://www.football.co.uk/blackburn/players/steven_reid_24821.shtml and see the stories that were linking him to Man Utd. He has had a terrible time with injuries

DmanDmythDledge
11/09/2007, 4:46 PM
Hopefully he will be fit for the final few games. I'd much prefer to see him ahead of Carsely.

If he plays for their first team they have no choice but to release him.

mackannovic
12/09/2007, 8:45 AM

Holland friendly first half when he was creamed by Denny Landzaat. It's only a hamstring injury holding him back and Rovers will be eager to get him involved with UEFA Cup ties coming up and David Dunn/Tugay not being the fittest players in the world.

paul_oshea
12/09/2007, 8:52 AM
tbh lads, reid has never been brilliant for us, he has been average and thats about it, I dont really know what all the fuss is about.

mackannovic
12/09/2007, 9:05 AM
tbh lads, reid has never been brilliant for us, he has been average and thats about it, I dont really know what all the fuss is about.

TBH he's only played about 20 games and most of them were out wide because people generally saw him as a natural winger due to his pace, where he never really got a decent run in the team mainly due to his own injuries. He seems to have found his position in the centre for Blackburn and was looking promising for Ireland when he was butchered by Denny Landzaat in the first half of his first game as captain. I can see him returning back to the form he was showing before his injury pretty quickly as he's been in this situation before, also Hughes holds a lot of faith in Reids ability. Fair enough he might not be a classy midfielder but he's more imposing than Carsley, more attacking than Carsley without sacrificing his defensive duties and has a great engine.

Stuttgart88
12/09/2007, 9:07 AM
Steven Reid is a tall, physically imposing, athletic, defensively solid, ball carrying box to box central midfielder with a thunderbolt shot.

Since Mick first picked him he has played on the RHS on numerous occasions and even RB (under Kerr in a testimonial). Personally I can only recall 2 occasions where he has actually played CM for us, his preferred position though I'm sure there must have been more.

The first was alongside O'Shea against Sweden where he did reasonably well and the other was as captain at home to Holland where he was anonymous, but at the same time he had, as far as I can remember, two lightweights in McGeady & Miller alongside him in a 3 man midfield in a botched attempt at 4-3-3.

I think this tainted Stan's opinion of him, despite his international consultant going on the record as saying that we'd be building the team around him in central midfield . That's why he was played RHM in Stuttgart ahead of Carr at RB, a player he has previously shown absolutely no understanding with at all, most notably in the 1-1 draw with Russia at home.

I'd have loved to have seen him play CM in Stuttgart as he'd have been capable of sustaining a battle against Frings & Ballack (I actually thought JOS did well in the first half of that game).

I've been advocating Reid for years, preferably alongside Andy Reid, but feel that in all likelihood it's too late for him and that at best he can fill a role until O'Brien or Garvan make the breakthrough.

mackannovic
12/09/2007, 9:34 AM
The first was alongside O'Shea against Sweden where he did reasonably well and the other was as captain at home to Holland where he was anonymous, but at the same time he had, as far as I can remember, two lightweights in McGeady & Miller alongside him in a 3 man midfield in a botched attempt at 4-3-3.

He went off injured at half time against Holland after going down under a pretty heavy challenge, midway through the first half. So in fairness I think that performance can be scratched off the record. I honestly think people who judge him, unfairly refer to this game and the Germany game where he was struggling with a stress fracture in his back.

I've been advocating Reid for years, preferably alongside Andy Reid, but feel that in all likelihood it's too late for him and that at best he can fill a role until O'Brien or Garvan make the breakthrough.

He's 26 and playing consistantly, when fit, at a higher level than any other midfielder in the squad. When he comes back he must be the first name in the middle.

Stuttgart88
12/09/2007, 9:48 AM
Sure, but he has shown a frustrating inability to stay fit for long periods. Ideally he'd be the lynchpin of our midfield for 5 years from now but I'm fed up waiting for him to establish himself for us.

Unless he gets in the Blackburn first team in the next couple of weeks he won't figure against Germany or Cyprus, and as I exopect we won't qualify it'll be September 2008 before we have another important game. Another full season gone by...

mackannovic
12/09/2007, 10:02 AM
Sure, but he has shown a frustrating inability to stay fit for long periods. Ideally he'd be the lynchpin of our midfield for 5 years from now but I'm fed up waiting for him to establish himself for us.

Unless he gets in the Blackburn first team in the next couple of weeks he won't figure against Germany or Cyprus, and as I exopect we won't qualify it'll be September 2008 before we have another important game. Another full season gone by...

I know yeah but sounds coming from Blackburn are good, even if he's only back on the bench for the club at the time I'd reckon he'd be worth a call up to the squad as backup.