PDA

View Full Version : UCD 5-4 Cork City

pineapple stu
19/04/2003, 6:57 AM
UCD opened their defence of the Fans' Assoication of Ireland - Supporters Have It Too, Even! league title with a hard-fought win over Cork City on the UCD astroturf on Friday afternoon. Just like in UCD's game in Longford last season, where De Town hit the post around 5 times, just like De Real Town were doing around the same time, so this match also saw the supporters' teams parody the form of the real teams - Cork hoofing theball aimlessly far too often, UCD playing skillful, attacking football, tearing the opposition apart at will. :D

In roasting conditions, it was Cork who took the lead after Aberdonian Stu picked up a goal-kick and waited as Éanna tackled him and went on to drive past Pineapple Stu in nets. Not long later, Cork were looking comfortable as a goal I can't remember at all saw it 2-0 with about 15 minutes gone.

But College fought back and @ndy, who scored 5 of UCD's 9 goals in Longford, gave them a life-line with a stunning shot on the turn which smacked in off the stanchion, with UCD waving aside Cork's protests that the goal shouldn't stand because their keeper was talking to someone at the time. And five minutes later, it was all square as about the 173rd John to be associated with UCD fans disposessed the Cork keeper on the half-way line and scored into an empty net.

With College having the momentum, it came as no surprise when they took the lead just before half-time, John cutting in from the wing and blasting past the City keeper. But the lead wasn't to last as City equalised on the stroke of half-time. There was more than a hint of handball in the build-up, but in fairness, the finish was clinical.

Not long into the second half and Pineapple Stu's traditional one howler per match saw Cork take the lead. A seriously long hoof from the City goalkeeper reached the UCD goal-line before bouncing, where Pineapple Stu for some reason kicked the ball straight to Colm, who finished with ease.

And a couple of minutes later, it was 4-4. Pineapple Stu played a goal-kick straight up to John, who turned his man, advanced on the keeper and slotted home with ease.

With the game being played in such hot conditions (and as Cork had insisted on 6-a-side, there were no subs :mad: :mad: ), and the Astroturf cutting feet to ribbons, it looked like the game would peter out into a draw. Éanna saw his long ranger batted away by Pineapple Stu, while @ndy got a couple of good openings for College, but his finishing left him down. There was a bit of controversy too - first up was a blatant obstruction from Bald Student for which Cork claimed a penalty (they spend all their time whingeing about the referees, and then show that they don't even know the rules themselves ;) - obstruction is an indirect free-kick, and so no penalty can be awarded for it, only an indirect free-kick inside the area), while at the other end, @ndy was pushed when clean through on goal and later obstructed as well to even things out. That said, it was never a dirty game, just one which both teams wanted to win.

And it was College who snatched the victory in the dying minutes - John again was instrumental, cutting in from the wing and unleashing a shot which the keeper could only parry. @ndy was on hand to head the rebound, but the keeper pulled off another fine save, before John (or @ndy, depending on who you talk to. @ndy is insistant that he didn't score it:confused: )poked him the rebound.

And that was how it finished, despite late Cork pressure as they wasted a decent free-kick with the last kick of the match. And so it was the College who carried off the UCD-Cork "Foot.ie" challenge Cup, filling it with beer and drinking from it as is traditional. Unfortunately, it only contained about a shot measure...

Thieving b@st@rds that they are, City wanted their trophy back, and so a penalty shoot-out was arranged, which they duly won 2-1, with keeper Pineapple Stu being the only one to score for College, while Éanna scored for City as well as somebody I can't remember...

City take on Longford in a couple of weeks, while we travel to the Mucky Midlands ourselves at the end of May to gain revenge for the 6 goals they scored on us. If any other fans would be interested in participating in this league, which ultimately we would like to see being played alongside the real league, post here or PM Pineapple Stu or Colm.

Pictures will be available when I load them up!!!

Teams - UCD: Pineapple Stu, Aberdonian Stu, Bald Student, Schumi, @ndy, John.

Cork - Colm, Éanna, Troy McClure and three others.

And City players, feel free to supply your player names and who did what which I can't remember.

So all together now -

5-4 to the boys in blue!

SÓC
20/04/2003, 3:04 PM
And it was College who snatched the victory in the dying minutes - John again was instrumental, cutting in from the wing and unleashing a shot which the keeper could only parry. @ndy was on hand to head the rebound, but the keeper pulled off another fine save, before John (or @ndy, depending on who you talk to. @ndy is insistant that he didn't score it )poked him the rebound.

Not fully correct, the saved header went out for a corner, the winner was scored by @ndy after a cross from John much later in the game.

Same on yer dirty dealings having UCD students distract me for the first goal!!!:D

Kickeroo
21/04/2003, 1:52 PM
I love it!!! I knew I was picking a winner when I said I was coming to UCD.

Aberdonian Stu
22/04/2003, 9:00 AM
5-4 to the boys in blue

@ndy
22/04/2003, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by SÓCcfc
Not fully correct, the saved header went out for a corner, the winner was scored by @ndy after a cross from John much later in the game.

Same on yer dirty dealings having UCD students distract me for the first goal!!!:D

If ye all say i scored the winner i'll take it :) Seriously though...i was just so tired at the end of the game...my mind was purely on not conceding...it had been such an intense affair i really didnt want to lose it. Well played to all involved, it was a really good game. SÓCcfc is right tho...the header...altho i could hardly believe it after managing to steer it down into the bottom corner was saved...and went for a corner. All i remember after that is turning to John with a big smile of relief on my face and thanking our lord and saviour derek swan that the torment was ended!!!

Pity about the result later. We really need a finisher. Anyway..i'll not drag that topic into this thread of blue glory

5-4 to the boys in blue....our 100% record remains in tact....

kickaroo...by any chance do you know of 4 americans in dub who u could round up for a once off UCD vs Richmond Kickers friendly, or even covince em to come over?

@ndy
22/04/2003, 10:30 AM
I just want to stress that that was a great save from the header! Gordon banks...i was at the other side of the goal...johns shot went to the right..the ball was saved and fell perfectly for me to tap it in with my head...down low into the bottom left...i had my hands in the air...and somehow it was pushed for the corner!!!

Good review aswell btw kev...:)

Kickeroo
22/04/2003, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by @ndy

kickEroo...by any chance do you know of 4 americans in dub who u could round up for a once off UCD vs Richmond Kickers friendly, or even covince em to come over?

No, not really, and not withing the time between now and then. I could cruise the U.S. embassy, but I doubt any of the Jarheads guarding the place know much about the beautiful game.

It's definitely something to consider for later challenges. Tottenham is coming over in May to play D.C. United, and I already know that there will be a Tottenham vs. Fan Rats game in the parking lot before hand. I, of course, will be over on your side of the pond, so somebody else will have to mind the pipes.

@ndy
22/04/2003, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Kickeroo
I could cruise the U.S. embassy, but I doubt any of the Jarheads guarding the place know much about the beautiful game.

LOL

@ndy
22/04/2003, 12:32 PM
I actually know one american staying on campus who loves soccer...he's a keeper aswell...it must be a trans atlantic throwing the ball thing! He might be still around and i'm sure he can both play outfield and round up a couple more heads...

SÓC
24/04/2003, 2:24 PM
Originally posted by @ndy
I just want to stress that that was a great save from the header! Gordon banks...i was at the other side of the goal...johns shot went to the right..the ball was saved and fell perfectly for me to tap it in with my head...down low into the bottom left...i had my hands in the air...and somehow it was pushed for the corner!!!

Good review aswell btw kev...:)

Cheers and all @ndy but I think my first half performence will have me dropped for the next match!

Any pictures from the wonderful event about?

James
24/04/2003, 3:57 PM
pics online in about 20min/30mins

once i edit myself out of them :D

James
24/04/2003, 4:28 PM
pics pics and foot.ie match pics (http://ccfcpics.net/admin/view_album.php?set_albumName=album13&page=1)

@ndy
25/04/2003, 2:49 PM
John happens to be a first year engineering student in UCD. Thats where i met him.

sadloserkid
25/04/2003, 3:37 PM
Pineapple Stu!

Get a haircut ya hippy! :p

pineapple stu
25/04/2003, 3:54 PM
You think that's long? You should have seen it in my College days! There's actually a picture of me in the Evening Herald a couple of years back...

sadloserkid
25/04/2003, 3:55 PM
I'm kidding, I'm kidding. I'm also a long-hair and my ribbing was purely good-natured! :D

pineapple stu
25/04/2003, 3:58 PM
I know that! Just saying that that's very refined now - I'm an accountant after all...