PDA

View Full Version : Lims 1 - 2 Bray

BlueisBeautiful
18/04/2003, 8:54 PM
What ye reckon lads?

I was encouraged by the performance, great finish by McCarthy (Good to have you back Derek), O'Flynn showed good control and tricks and set up the goal too (An excellent shielder of the ball also) and generally pleased with the effort of the lads. Good to see Cooney in action, looks a good recruit.

Shame about the result, didnt deserve to lose but a couple more players in certain postions, bit of creativity and we could do quite well this season.

maineman
19/04/2003, 12:20 AM
Disappointing result,should have at least got a point.At long last stephen o flynn has got a strike partner something he missed all last season,great finish by derek mc carthy aswell.But like many occasions last season played well enough but ended up with nothing,when your chances come you have to take them something they failed to do too many times last season.Bray overall did'nt play well but still came away with 3 points.Pike rovers ground has a lovely pitch but not all limericks home match are going to be played in glorious sunshine like friday and lack of cover is going to be a serious problem that needs to be addressed quickly.Could'nt believe how easy it is to access pike's ground with the road down to the golf course an easy way of getting in with out paying,the'll have to get that sorted or the amount of money to be lost by this could be huge.

Cobh Ramblers
19/04/2003, 12:29 AM
lost again! unlucky lads!

deise deserter
19/04/2003, 1:59 PM
Thought we deserved a draw at the least. That said the first Bray goal was very good. The second goal followed two incidents that should have resulted in frees for Limerick. First one around the half-way line and the second when the attacking player pulled one of our defenders to the ground. But you know those are the breaks - bad referreeing but what can be done about it, might go our way next time.

Derek McCarthy got a good goal but still looks a bit rusty - hopefully a few matches will sort this out and get his fitness up again. I am usually a fan of Ciaran Foley (hey, I know I'm in the minority here!!) but I thought he had a bad game yesterday. He was up against a player that was well above his class, and was a bit off the pace of the game. Paddy Purcell was good - back on form after his nightmare in Sligo, and Eoin Keating was excellent. Steve O also had a good game.

Apparently rumour has it that our Italian "Ricky" is gone back to Itlay because his parents have been sick. Good news is that he should be back in a couple of weeks. I saw him in the pre-season game in Galway and he was very impressive.

It was great to see that Derek Whyte is back as assistant manager. I know I posted that Kerly's stint last year with the under-21s had me a little concerned but after hearing the problems he had and listening to him talking to the players during the match I think he should acquit himself well. Despite losing it seems to be boding well for the future.

PS: Cobh Ramblers: Don't worry our winning streak will start on Tuesday!!;)

sadloserkid
22/04/2003, 8:56 AM
Healy was alright I suppose, difficult to judge him on either of the goals and he hadn't much else to do anyway. - 7/10

Eoin Keating was Limerick's best player again, class throughout. - 8/10

Conor Molan (at left-back) took a while to settle but in the second half in particular he was impressive and got forward well. - 7/10

Purcell and Finucane did well most of the time in the centre but didn't link up togther as well as they might and their distribution was unsatisfactory at times as well. Both 7-10

Colm Heffernan caught the eye again but tended to overdo it at times with the ball when a pass might have been a better option. - 6/10

Brendan Sweeney was excellent too after a shaky few minutes. Not the most adventurous of passers but a fine holding midfielder in his own right. - 8/10

Gareth Cooney showed a lot of ability too and more vision than your average first division player. Cooney and Sweeney though were too light and inexperienced to dominate the middle between them. - 7/10

Derek McCarthy and Stephen O'Flynn both had good games though O'Flynn in particular sometimes overdid things. Showed what he can do too though! - 7/10

McCarthy took his goal well and was unlucky not to score a second late on. - 8/10

As for subs John Whyte made a huge difference, giving the midfield a shape and bite. Here's hoping he against Bray and Cooney is pushed wider. - 8/10

Good performance, bad result...