18/04/2003, 7:19 PM
UCD 0 - 1 City
J O'F on 32 minutes.
Scored from a corner won by George.

He and we are off the mark !:D

Ruairi
18/04/2003, 7:28 PM
Nice one.

So it's safe to assume that it's backs to the wall and hoof it up to O'flynn for the next hour yeah?:D

patsh
18/04/2003, 7:31 PM
Originally posted by Ruairi
Nice one.

So it's safe to assume that it's backs to the wall and hoof it up to O'flynn for the next hour yeah?:D
No, City playing very well. Have had a few more chances. Playing very positively.

patsh
18/04/2003, 7:57 PM
UCD 0 - 2 City

after 5 mins of the 2nd half.
That boy Flynn again!:D :D

patsh
18/04/2003, 7:59 PM
UCD 0 - 3 City
Another hatrick
for John O':D

$hels 1 - 0 Derry at half time.

I just thought....
If Derry can score 2 and beat $hels, we'd be top of the league.;):D

thecorner
18/04/2003, 8:55 PM
an away win. :eek: :eek: :eek:
praise the lord and praise pat dolan

Counting Crow
18/04/2003, 9:36 PM
We now have the top scorer in the League - with 3 goals.

100% away from home!!!!!!!!!!!

No one has managed to score against us!!!!!!!!!

What a season - hey don't shoot me for being optimistic.

COME ON CITY and Bohs on Tuesday night.

A face
18/04/2003, 10:31 PM
Anyone know how the first 11 ended up ??

UCD_4_Life
18/04/2003, 11:25 PM
Fair play to yis anyway. Cork murdered us tonight.

The passing and movement was excellent and we always looked second best.

O'Callaghan showed some great skill but tell me, is he always such a pr!ck? He spent to whole game moaning and shouting at people.

O'Flynn was real quality and took his second and third goals brilliantly. In his second O'Callaghan played a lovely crossfield pass that split our defence and O'Flynn finished it brilliantly. He went way up in my estimation tonight.

Cobh Ramblers
19/04/2003, 12:24 AM
nice result,pitty cobh were robbed against ye!

Neil
19/04/2003, 1:15 AM
Originally posted by UCD_4_Life
O'Callaghan showed some great skill but tell me, is he always such a pr!ck? He spent to whole game moaning and shouting at people.

All the legends are.
Maradona...
Gullit...
Mattheus...
Zico...

And all wear number 10.

To the tune of Donna E Mobile...
Goergie O'Callaghan
He wears the number 10
He came from Port Vale
he is not for sale

bert
19/04/2003, 1:43 AM
Neil boy, go to bed. The barbie's over!

SSS
19/04/2003, 7:44 AM
Great result , but let's not get carried away.
UCD have lost the two players most likely to frustrate City - Barry Ryan and Clive Delaney - one or other was always turning in MOTM performances against City. They also lost Mahon during the week.

I reckon UCD must be significantly weaker than last season and may be the ones to go down this time.

Interesting to see Doyle on the right - was he better there than he was up front? Surely he will be a better attacking threat than Carey?

Neil
19/04/2003, 8:52 AM
citynet (http://www.eirways.com/citynet/index.php?p=376&more=1)

Result: UCD 0 - 3 Cork City

O'Flynn hat-trick wins it for City

Cork City, without an away goal since November, beat UCD 3-0 tonight at Belfield, thanks to a wonderful John O'Flynn hat-trick. The three goals, a left-foot shot, a right-foot shot and a header came in just 27 minutes of playing time. The hat-trick was his third in just over a season at Cork City.

Brian Kerr, who has included Bohs striker Glen Crowe in his Ireland squad, was at the game and will no doubt have been impressed by the young striker's performance.

Cork City: Michael Devine; Neal Horgan, Alan Bennett, Dan Murray, Gareth Cronin (Alan Carey); George O'Callaghan, Greg O'Halloran (capt), Conor O'Grady, Billy Woods (Colin T O'Brien); John O'Flynn (Colin P O'Brien), Kevin Doyle.

Goals: John O'Flynn 32, 52, 59.

Good to see Woods being substituted. I can't remember that happening before! How did the lineup end up (with Carey and Colin T coming on for two left siders)?

Gary
19/04/2003, 9:17 AM
Originally posted by SSS
Great result , but let's not get carried away.

Why not?

Originally posted by SSS

UCD have lost the two players most likely to frustrate City - Barry Ryan and Clive Delaney - one or other was always turning in MOTM performances against City.

Yes, that is because Gunther loved playing High Long balls up to smaller players like Flynn and Mulligan, players who will never beat a player like Delaney in the air.

Great result. It proves we can play ball, that Flynn was never going to be the one season wonder some people accused him of being and, last but not least, we beat the Students away.

Hopefully now they will go back to where they belong, playing Collingwood cup and stop irritating the rest of the league.

SSS
19/04/2003, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by GWA

Great result. It proves we can play ball, .

The nine nil win against Glenmore proved we can play ball..:rolleyes:

I'll get carried away, happily, when we get through the next three difficult games against good opposition.

I am as delighted as everyone else that a few jinxes were laid to rest last night.

patsh
19/04/2003, 10:32 AM
I reckon if we can not be beaten in the next 2 games and thus have 6 or more points after the Longford game, we will be doing quite OK.
Lets be a little patient and take things a step at a time.

J O'F comes in for a lot of praise from different media outlets today. Most people have commented on the "perfect" hat-trick, a header, left foot shot and right foot shot.
"John O'Flynn scored a sublime hat-trick "....
"the virtuoso O'Flynn, who scored with a header, a left-foot volley and a right-foot drive - the perfect hat-trick"..........
"O'Flynn ended the match as a contest within seven minutes early in the second half with a couple of superb strikes to complete a wonderful hat-trick".......
"City passed the ball well and attacked at will on the immaculate Belfield surface....... City got in behind the UCD defence time after time.......But for Patrick Jennings in the home goal Pat Dolan's side would have been further than 1-0 up at the interval.."

This is a really good sign, and really shows that the Pats game was to tense and nervy an affair. I know UCD are the not the best, but this is a major "psychological" boost for us. An really impressive away victory, beating a "bogey" team and doing it by passing the ball and no hoof.
Onwards and upwards, biys !!:D

Gary
19/04/2003, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by SSS
The nine nil win against Glenmore proved we can play ball..:rolleyes:

I'll get carried away, happily, when we get through the next three difficult games against good opposition.

I am as delighted as everyone else that a few jinxes were laid to rest last night.

Just so ive got the right person, but are you not the same bloke who was getting carried away after we beat Shels 2-1 last time?

Are you not the same bloke who complained an awful lot about people being negative towards Gunther the whole time?

Its a good win, yes. However, itll count for little more than nada if we losethe next two games, Which we wont. I thjknk we will end our Flansiro jinx as well next week.

SSS
19/04/2003, 3:05 PM
Originally posted by GWA
Just so ive got the right person, but are you not the same bloke who was getting carried away after we beat Shels 2-1 last time?

Are you not the same bloke who complained an awful lot about people being negative towards Gunther the whole time?

Its a good win, yes. However, itll count for little more than nada if we losethe next two games, Which we wont. I thjknk we will end our Flansiro jinx as well next week.

Don't remember much about the 2-1 win against Shels. I'm sure I would have been happy about it though. Much better result than a win against a weakened UCD. I may have been getting carried away after we beat Shels 3-0 last season - different story. Shels were expected to beat City senseless, we had a new team. No one had seen O'Flynn and he scored a goal that Ronaldo would have been proud of. Warren and George played well and it was heaven that day, after the disaster the previous year. We now have pretty much the same team ( less Reynolds) so I don't think the win last night was anywhere near as momentous as the Shels one.

Not sure what the Gunther comment has to do with anything, but I'm sure you'll explain that in your reply.

Of course it's a good win, didn't say it wasn't. All I said was there was no point getting carried away. I didn't even direct it at anyone, it was more a comment on my own gut feel on things.

Colm
19/04/2003, 4:15 PM
I don't think anyone who was not at the game can fully comprehend how supurbly well City played. We played really attractive, passing, attacking football throughout, I don't think I have seen City play so well for quite some time.

George was absolutly outstanding, Doyle had a good game on the right and as for O'Flynn well hopefully Brian Kerr was impressed with what he saw.

It was our first win in Belfield for over four years and winning 3-0 away from home is something we have not done in a long time.

Nice to see Dolan gather up all the players and bring them over to applaude the fans after, although in fairness most of them had already come over of their own accord.

All in all, it was a very positive night imo.

Bring on the Bohs!!!

eoinh
19/04/2003, 5:57 PM
i can see it this year. we lose all our games at home except one and are brilliant away......... lol
:) :D ;)

SSS
20/04/2003, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by eoinh
i can see it this year. we lose all our games at home except one and are brilliant away......... lol

Same thing had occurred to me in passing. Flynn = the new Ollie, as in "give it to Flynn" away from home and he'll win a few games on his own. ...but I don't really expect that. The current squad can't be as bad as that at home.

Looking forward to seeing the highlights, good to hear that George had a good game. The rumour mill on his future has hopefully ground to a halt.

A face
20/04/2003, 4:15 PM
O’Flynn does the trick

UCD 0-3 Cork City
Cork City’s star striker John O’Flynn netted a brilliant hat-trick to drive his side to a rare away victory in Pat Dolan’s first game in charge outside Turners Cross.

Twenty-year-old O’Flynn, who grabbed 20 goals in all competitions in his first season back in Ireland last term, opened his account for the new campaign in superb style, offering plentiful evidence against the doubters who insisted he could not reproduce his debut season form.

Cork, who won just once in 14 away games last season, move into second place in the table behind pace-setting Shelbourne, and have yet to concede a goal in 180 minutes of action thus far.

Pat Jennings Jnr, UCD’s first-choice keeper, was again a star for his side, but could do nothing to stop O’Flynn’s one-man assault on his goal.

After an early save from Conor O’Grady, Jennings was again called into action on 24 minutes to save from O’Flynn.

Alan Cawley could even have put UCD ahead on the 25-minute mark, but his header was directed straight at the grateful Michael Devine in the visitors’ goal.

Jennings saved again from a George O’Callaghan free kick, but in the 33rd minute, O’Flynn opened the scoring, heading Billy Woods near-post corner to the net.

He got on the end of an O’Callaghan pass to net number two seven minutes after the break, and completed the hat-trick with a low right-foot drive after Kevin Doyle had set him up.

UCD: Jennings, Sullivan, Ryan, McDonnell, McAuley (Donnelly, 45), McNally, Whelan, Cawley (Davey, 45), J. Martin, Gallen (Finn, 71), Griffin.

Cork City: Devine, Horgan, Cronin (Carey, 81), Murray, Bennett, O’Grady, O’Halloran, O’Callaghan, Woods (C.T. O’Brien, 86), Doyle, O’Flynn (C.P. O’Brien, 86).

Referee: J. McDermott (Dublin)

www.eleven-a-side.com (http://www.eleven-a-side.com/premier/story.asp?newsid=5062)

James
20/04/2003, 9:56 PM
City were MAGIC
:)

o'flynn , o'callaghan and esp imo kev doyler were outstanding
a joy to watch. plenty oof noise out of the travelling rebel army too :D

so called big-club Beware... like

Éanna
20/04/2003, 11:27 PM
city were outstanding. I think it was probably the best away performance I've ever seen from them, and probably the best overall footballing display Ive seen from a city side in at least 3 years. Doyle had a great game on he right, good touch, always aware and always looking for the ball. O'Flynn got a hat trick and might have had one or two more. George was the best player on the park for me, he ran the length of the pitch looking for the ball and was always looking dangerous- one of the best displays i've seen from a city player. The guy is a class above most players in this league. Not one player had a bad game. Billy was a bit quiet, but busier than usual; Grady looked suspect again but got away with it and showed some good touches.

I reckon we need another central midfielder to replace reynolds- what would people think of moving benno into the centre beside greg and bringing napier back in to defence?

SSS
21/04/2003, 3:28 PM
Originally posted by Éanna
I think it was probably the best away performance I've ever seen from them, and probably the best overall footballing display Ive seen from a city side in at least 3 years.

what would people think of moving benno into the centre beside greg and bringing napier back in to defence?

Given how well City played at times at home last season, that sounds very encouraging.

I think the Napier idea is good, but in a radio interview, it sounded very much like Dolan wasn't considering Napier as an option in the next few months. Hopefully Naps will prove him wrong.

Muppet
22/04/2003, 8:15 AM
Thought Greg O'Halloran played very well, particularly in the 1st half, George showed some lovely touches and we really made UCD have to work hard for the ball. O'Flynn was brilliant but if there's one small criticism it would be that the ball bypassed midfield too often. I wouldn't miss UCD if they go down (far too early to say) as it's like going to a schools amtch or something. My attention was distracted by tasty beors pulling a scanty one and watching the game from their apartment! Wonder if they'd let us in next time, I'd bring a few beers!

James
22/04/2003, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Éanna
Grady looked suspect again but got away with it
think i heard somewhere that conor had a dead leg for the game
:D

@ndy
22/04/2003, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by eoinh

As long as we aren't the only team to be beaten at the cross i'll be happy ;)