PDA

View Full Version : Why support ireland

Pages : [1] 2

don ramo
09/09/2007, 9:57 PM
why do these overpaid players deserve us as supporters, the people clapping them after the game should be disgraced, they dont derserve it, robbie keane is a total waste of space, kevin kilbane is a joke (next time, watch him, every time he runs he falls), others to dont pull there weight, is it stan or what, they arent performing and need a good boot up the ass, i dont care if they play bad if there bad, but its a team of premership players, supposedly the best league in the world, we should be hammering teams like slovakia, im sure there is a mental block in irish heads that you cant embarres a team, if you can score 7-8 goals agianst a team you should, never take you foot off the pedal,

if these so called world class players cant perform, just get LOI players at least theyll play with pride, thats whats missing

eekers
09/09/2007, 10:31 PM
robbie keane is a total waste of space

31 goals, 74 games :rolleyes:

kingdomkerry
09/09/2007, 10:33 PM
Dont know about you but I support Ireland because I love soccer and Ireland, so Ireland playing soccer...........................

Mayo_Bhoy
09/09/2007, 10:52 PM
why do these overpaid players deserve us as supporters

Well dont bother then. You dont seem like much a\of supporter anyway and we have enough moaning ***** in our support as it is so goodbye, we will manage without you.

Saint MacDara
09/09/2007, 10:56 PM
Dont know about you but I support Ireland because I love soccer and Ireland, so Ireland playing soccer...........................

You mentioned "Ireland" three times and "soccer" twice,it's funny because these players play football in Britain and they put a damn sight more effort into their clubs rather than their country.

Keane doesnt have what it takes to be a team captain,he's captain basically by default (no-one else wants the job).We need a natural leader,maybe someone from the English Championship or god forbid the LOI,you know - the players journalists never rant and rave on about but they're hard working,determined and will not let a below par preformance by their team mates go un-noticed and unpunished.In essense not to be afraid of their fellow professionals egos,pay cheques or status'.

Wait,I'm describing another Keane....Roy Keane

Let's bring in players who give 100% and make no excuses and turf out the deadwood in the squad....you know in your heart which players im talking about.

craig7042
09/09/2007, 11:33 PM
Well dont bother then. You dont seem like much a\of supporter anyway and we have enough moaning ***** in our support as it is so goodbye, we will manage without you.

Fair play to you! Glad some people are reacting to the abuse this team gets. Not everyone is a sheep !

Stuttgart88
10/09/2007, 7:32 AM
just get LOI players at least theyll play with pride, thats whats missingAh, that old chestnut.

billydoneit
10/09/2007, 7:42 AM
why do these overpaid players deserve us as supporters, the people clapping them after the game should be disgraced, they dont derserve it, robbie keane is a total waste of space, kevin kilbane is a joke (next time, watch him, every time he runs he falls), others to dont pull there weight, is it stan or what, they arent performing and need a good boot up the ass, i dont care if they play bad if there bad, but its a team of premership players, supposedly the best league in the world, we should be hammering teams like slovakia, im sure there is a mental block in irish heads that you cant embarres a team, if you can score 7-8 goals agianst a team you should, never take you foot off the pedal,

if these so called world class players cant perform, just get LOI players at least theyll play with pride, thats whats missing

Are you mad?:confused:

RedMick
10/09/2007, 7:44 AM
why do these overpaid players deserve us as supporters

I hope thats a heat of the moment knee jerk reaction to a lastminute equalizer and losing 2 points, however if thats the level of your support I dont think the players will miss you much either. I suppose they will still all be overpaid prima donnas when youre cheering the next time they score or would that be a bit hypocritical:rolleyes:

antrimgreen
10/09/2007, 7:46 AM
Lets all blame Robbie and the fact the players get paid too much money and the fact that we need to play with all LOI players, give my head peace don ramo, Robbie Keane is a class player. 3 points on Wednesday or goodnight Euro 2008, come on the boys in green, the most important game of the campaign to date......

Paddy Garcia
10/09/2007, 7:57 AM
Lets all blame Robbie and the fact the players get paid too much money and the fact that we need to play with all LOI players, give my head peace don ramo, Robbie Keane is a class player. 3 points on Wednesday or goodnight Euro 2008, come on the boys in green, the most important game of the campaign to date......

Sure he has no place in our team earning what he does. Bloody cheek, going over to England and making money & shoving it down our throats. We need honest players earning much less then we would be flying.:;)

Saint MacDara - I don't recall Roy playing in the Championship or LOI - I do recall journos raving on about him (& rightly so). Seems to me you have everything exactly wrong.

reder
10/09/2007, 8:52 AM

Oh, its at times like these you find out who the real fans are!

With all due respect I thought the support on sat night was shocking. As each away game passes, I see more and more soccer am morons in our support. The most embarrassing thing on sat was our fans singing, "you're no singing anymore" and at a few hundred Slovaks.

Don Ramo, you say you are looking for players who play with pride. Surely Kilbane is the best example of this in the current squad. He always makes himself available, gives 100% on the pitch and after the embarrassement that was San Marino was the first player to have the balls to come out and face the media when all the rest hid in the dressing room.

I think you are being a little harsh on the Slovaks. The are not some bunch of hoofball merchants and putting 7 or 8 past them was never on the cards. Those days are gone in international football and being honest, hammering teams no matter how small was never our strong point.

Now that Ireland is out for Wed, I have a feeling that Reid might play by default and Stan could actually stumble accross the best midfield we have available at this moment in time. I would love to see Hunt playing on the left and even though he was pathetic on sat, I think McGeady should play. In the event that he does not play Reid, I fear a loss and even though I was brought up to always support my team, I think it is time for a change of management.

drummerboy
10/09/2007, 9:03 AM
I blame Staunton for the stupid substitutions he made. Darren Gibson has never played first team football in a decent league. Douglas hasn't been playing regularly and when he does its in the third tier of the English game. Yet he had players like Andy Reid, and Stephen Hunt on the bench. Staunton is a clown.

paul_oshea
10/09/2007, 9:39 AM
but they're hard working,determined and will not let a below par preformance by their team mates go un-noticed and unpunished.In essense not to be afraid of their fellow professionals egos,pay cheques or status'.

Wait,I'm describing another Keane....Roy Keane

Let's bring in players who give 100% and make no excuses and turf out the deadwood in the squad....you know in your heart which players im talking about.

Ya the ones that lose 5 - 0 to danish teams, and oh wait, dont beat danish teams 4 - 0.

Dodge
10/09/2007, 9:43 AM
Ya the ones that lose 5 - 0 to danish teams, and oh wait, dont beat danish teams 4 - 0.

Sparse logic. If you seen the game you'd know that all 5 goals were down to mistakes by an Englishman, a Scotsman and an American ;)

Nearly as bad as saying LOI players would be better.

OwlsFan
10/09/2007, 10:05 AM

I think the last time a near all LOI team represented the national side, we conceded 7. It was the 1970s I think or late 1960s.

Close the door behind you. To attack Kevin Kilbane who gave 100% throughout is mind boggling.

I will support Ireland through thick and thin, even if we have Coco the Clown as our manager (some might say we do already) and no matter who plays for us.

Try also following Sheffield Wednesday. Then you'll think following Ireland is a stroll in the grass.

Higgo
10/09/2007, 10:49 AM
I have mixed feelings on supporting the national team I must say. Two things put me off -

1) I find it difficult to feel a strong affinity with a team packed solid with players from foreign leagues. I am not suggesting that EL players are good enough, I just feel that the situation is a farce. In my opinion, the fact that not one home-based player can make the squad is a very sad indictment of the state of football in this country.

2) Some people who attend International games are an embarrassment to us in the way they carry on...and in the type of things they wear at the games. My mate was at a game recently wearing a Shels shirt. Some idiot shouts 'what the **** are you wearing that for?' Mate turns around and guess what...the fool is wearing a Chelsea jersey:rolleyes: I find it impossible to associate with people who view the national team as an extension of their 'affinity' with some English club.

On the whole, I like to see Ireland win as, whatever way we look at it, they are representing our country. However, my interest in the national team will always be secondary to my passion for Shels. I think my above points illustrate the reasons for this.

don ramo
10/09/2007, 11:00 AM

history, hes simply not performing when it comes to quaifiers, this time around he is captain and to be quiet honest he doesnt seem like one,

don ramo
10/09/2007, 11:02 AM

ok so they can just play s***e and will still be supported, i asked why do they deseves the loyalty they get when they perform like they did last night, and slovakia were not that great,

Stuttgart88
10/09/2007, 11:02 AM
And if he had a functional midfield to supply him? The guy's a very good player but he's not superman.

don ramo
10/09/2007, 11:04 AM
Ah, that old chestnut.

not sayin do it, but some players are not performiong, go back watch the game and tell me all these players deserve to be playing for ireland, i think you may find 4-6 players last night shouldnt be near a national team

Stuttgart88
10/09/2007, 11:06 AM
ISome people who attend International games are an embarrassment to us in the way they carry onAnd hundreds if not thousands aren't. Don't tell me you're proud to be associated with each and every Shels fan.

Personally, I'm taking the old fart stance of thinking that a good number of the younger fans have no appreciateion of what they're inheriting, but by and large I think Irish fans put on a decent show abroad.

Stuttgart88
10/09/2007, 11:10 AM
not sayin do it, but some players are not performiong, go back watch the game and tell me all these players deserve to be playing for ireland, i think you may find 4-6 players last night shouldnt be near a national teamMy mantra like assertion on this issue is that there's not much wrong that a proper central midfield wouldn't improve drastically. We were spoilt to have RMK but this current side with almost any midfield pairing we've been able to put out since the early 80s would be a dramatically better team.

O'Shea annoys me though.

don ramo
10/09/2007, 11:14 AM
irish fams are great for travelling, but lets face it, there are cracks in the team and they must be fixed, you cant ignore them, just beating san marino, then a few days later put in a perfromance that would have demolished a team like san marino, that performance saturday night and watch now they do a great job against the czechs,

and dont question my loyalty i support them, im just dont see the point in clapping the team on when they underperform which seem to be becoming acceptable in this and the last quaifiing campaign,

Stuttgart88
10/09/2007, 11:20 AM
I didn't question your loyalty, but since you ask, you kind of invite the query by starting a thread "Why Support Ireland?".

don ramo
10/09/2007, 11:21 AM
McGeady, Ireland, Carsley, Kilbane, thats what we have, all big players according to the tabloids, there suppose to be well able to give a good performance for ireland, sure i thought theyd never shut up about why lee carsley isnt in the team, so he must be good, stephen ireland is id say the only one who should be there , his record speaks for itself, mcgeady isnt all that to be quiet honest, and kilbane keeps falling down when he runs with the ball, hes like clinton morrison lots and lots of runing, might pop up every so often with something 1 in 5, im looking more to 5 in 5, am i wrong to expect this from players playing in THE best league in the world,

Dublin12
10/09/2007, 11:32 AM
kilbane keeps falling down when he runs with the ball, hes like clinton morrison lots and lots of runing,

He must have been one of those kids that ran to the shops all the time when he got his pocket money with his ball under his arm.

Higgo
10/09/2007, 11:37 AM
And hundreds if not thousands aren't. Don't tell me you're proud to be associated with each and every Shels fan.

Personally, I'm taking the old fart stance of thinking that a good number of the younger fans have no appreciateion of what they're inheriting, but by and large I think Irish fans put on a decent show abroad.

No I think it's fair to say that I don't get on with a lot of Shels supporters. The difference is...I respect them for supporting a local club. I have no respect whatsoever for an Irish person who wears an English jersey at an international. There are far too many of them and you know it. Furthermore, any person who plasters CHELSEA across a tri-colour should be ejected from a home game. Many Irish people are too fickle and quite frankly are an embarrassment. Do you not agree?

NY Hoop
10/09/2007, 11:53 AM
No I think it's fair to say that I don't get on with a lot of Shels supporters. The difference is...I respect them for supporting a local club. I have no respect whatsoever for an Irish person who wears an English jersey at an international. There are far too many of them and you know it. Furthermore, any person who plasters CHELSEA across a tri-colour should be ejected from a home game. Many Irish people are too fickle and quite frankly are an embarrassment. Do you not agree?

Spot on. That clown with his name on the flag sums up the Irish football "fans" for me.

Anyway slagging Kilbane is way off. Always turns up and gives a 100% which cant be said for a lot of others.

KOH

jbyrne
10/09/2007, 12:05 PM
Oh, its at times like these you find out who the real fans are!

With all due respect I thought the support on sat night was shocking. As each away game passes, I see more and more soccer am morons in our support. The most embarrassing thing on sat was our fans singing, "you're no singing anymore" and at a few hundred Slovaks.

were you even at the match? i was and i didn’t hear anyone singing “youre not singing anymore”. to have a pop at our fans is ridiculous beyond words, we had more fans in the stadium than they had!! what other country would have 6,000 travel to such a game? i thought the support was excellent throughout although a roof over our heads would’ve kept the noise in better. granted there are always a few day trippers but i keep seeing the same fans turn up game after game in the hope that we might actually have a win to celebrate. despite our poor away competitive record we continually travel in large numbers with great nature and not even a whiff of trouble. without doubt the best fans around

cobra
10/09/2007, 12:05 PM
and dont question my loyalty i support them, im just dont see the point in clapping the team on when they underperform which seem to be becoming acceptable in this and the last quaifiing campaign,

I was in Cyprus back in october when we got thumped 5-2:o and I can assure you them players were not applauded at final whistle, they were getting booed big time after it.

jbyrne
10/09/2007, 12:11 PM
Spot on. That clown with his name on the flag sums up the Irish football "fans" for me.

Anyway slagging Kilbane is way off. Always turns up and gives a 100% which cant be said for a lot of others.

KOH

do you know anything about that fan? he was born in england with irish parents. so what if he puts chelsea on his flag? i saw a lad at the weekend with a great polo top with a half QPR crest and half Irish crest with "club and country" written underneath. they are allowed follow who they like. this is sport we are talking about after all!!

Higgo
10/09/2007, 12:16 PM
were you even at the match? i was and i didn’t hear anyone singing “youre not singing anymore”. to have a pop at our fans is ridiculous beyond words, we had more fans in the stadium than they had!! what other country would have 6,000 travel to such a game? i thought the support was excellent throughout although a roof over our heads would’ve kept the noise in better. granted there are always a few day trippers but i keep seeing the same fans turn up game after game in the hope that we might actually have a win to celebrate. despite our poor away competitive record we continually travel in large numbers with great nature and not even a whiff of trouble. without doubt the best fans around

That is the biggest load of **** I have ever read. Do you want a medal for supporting your team? Following your team through thick and thin is what it's all about. 'The best fans in the world'....utter nonsense. Do you not realise that football is rotten in this country, right from the top down?? In my opinion, in general, Irish football fans are a joke. Get a grip.

Dodge
10/09/2007, 12:21 PM
what other country would have 6,000 travel to such a game?

England, Scotland and probably northern ireland too.

MojoPin
10/09/2007, 12:30 PM

david healy 51 caps 25 goals.. 11 in these qualifiers alone...

pride passion and drive......

robbie keane....... none of the above

Dodge
10/09/2007, 12:48 PM
Dodge - a great intervention there about England, Scotland and N.I. - you probably couldn't bring yourself to agree with jbyrne but had to find some other angle to get your 2cents in.

:rolleyes: I was stating a fact. This notion of "greatest fans in the world" bugs the hell out of me.

Higgo
10/09/2007, 12:53 PM
You're the joke Higgo - jbyrne is right - they can follow who they want. There are plenty of people in England who were born and bred there but with Irish parents - all of them proud Irish people. If they want to put Chelsea or Liverpool or Scunthorpe or any club on their tricolour then let them off - it doesn't make them any less of a supporter - they are out there following the team. A stupid comment by the Chelsea-wearing bloke to the Shels supporter but by and large they are there for the right reasons.
Who are you to insult 6000-7000 people( and sometimes more) that have shelled out hard-earned cash to follow their country??
Have you shelled out to see Ireland play abroad? If you have then you are in a position to comment but not insult.
If you haven't then shut the fcuk up.

Dodge - a great intervention there about England, Scotland and N.I. - you probably couldn't bring yourself to agree with jbyrne but had to find some other angle to get your 2cents in.

I'm entitled to my opinion, as you are. I am not talking about everyone...you'd see that if you read my posts. And I don't dispute that a person can follow whoever they like. What I am saying is that football is in a terrible state in this country and following the national team around all over the world is not going to change this. Going to an Ireland game wearing a Chelsea shirt is symbolic of a person who does not give a **** about Irish football.

Wolfie
10/09/2007, 12:55 PM
Why Support Ireland?

The Slovakians late equaliser was the latest in a long line of heartbreaks that the long suffering Irish Support have had to endure and suffer.

Yet again, every part of your being implores the team to hang on, keep them out for a few more minutes - retain the ball, box clever, just mark them man for man and we're safe. Deep down, you know the inevitable is coming. Bitter experience tells you. Once more you curse your luck. Once more, you raise your eyes to the Gods and exclaim "Not again!!"

It's the teams self infliction that hurts the most. We do it to ourselves.

Despair, anger, frustration and regretting the sheer wasted time and energy. And then the question arises in your mind "Why do I bother with this lot?"

The simple answer (for most of us I'd suggest when the anger subsides) - is that I love this football team. I don't have a choice.

I will continue to endure their failings, short comings, bewildering incompetencies at times - because I remember the excitement of my first game seeing Liam Brady play in 1985, the Bulgaria match in 87, our heroics in Euro 88, the peno shoot out of 90, Italy in 94, the Dutch in 01 and the last minute equaliser (for us for once!!!!) against the Germans in 02.

We can't turn our back on this team. Its our team.

jbyrne
10/09/2007, 12:57 PM
You sir are an idiot. Full stop.

attack the post not the poster. if you cant come up with something intellegent to add please dont bother wasting space

Stuttgart88
10/09/2007, 12:58 PM
Sure who gives the "best fans in world" mantle anyway? Marian Fincane and the likes.

We have very good international fans, no more, no less. Colourful, vociferous, numerous and well behaved.

In response to way back above, I totally dislike English, Scottish or any club shirts at an Ireland game. I actually think eL shirts or even county GAA shirts (contradictory maybe) are OK the night before the game but on the day it's all about the Boys in GREEN.

Clubs on flags are ok in my opinion. I think there's a touch of the paradoxical about Chelsea given the feeling among their older hard core for anything Irish but that's me being sensitive I think.

jybryne got totally uncalled for abuse above. What's the procedure for reporting a post?

jbyrne
10/09/2007, 1:01 PM
That is the biggest load of **** I have ever read. Do you want a medal for supporting your team? Following your team through thick and thin is what it's all about. 'The best fans in the world'....utter nonsense. Do you not realise that football is rotten in this country, right from the top down?? In my opinion, in general, Irish football fans are a joke. Get a grip.

your experience of our away fans is obviously next to nil. dont bother getting into a debate you clearly know nothing about

no one is looking for a medal and the point i was making that we supoort through thick and thin unlike a lot of other countrys. only 6,000 slovaks bothered to turn up on sat and they were at home. who or what exactly do you compare our fans to when you call us a joke?

Pablo
10/09/2007, 1:03 PM
I support them because they represent my country. Even though it seems that our name is now simply the "republic"

Having said that i feel less and less of a connection after games lately.

Stuttgart88
10/09/2007, 1:08 PM
Or as Emmet Malone continues to say "the South". :mad:

Higgo
10/09/2007, 1:33 PM
The state of Irish football at the moment is not down to the fans - you said Irish football fans are a joke. Why would you say that??
If the system is rotten as you call it from the top down what has that got to do with the fans?? The fans are on the periphery - nothing to do with the running of the game. You did not qualify anything that you said about Irish supporters.
I think Wolfie answered the original question perfectly - a super post - but your comments about the fans being a joke were out of order!!
I also agree that jbyrne was "attacked" - not his post.

OK. I will explain the reasons why Irish football supporters annoy me. First of all, we get say 40,000 people at an international match. 90% of these people have never given the EL a chance. Now, I have been attending local matches for 14 years and I fully accept that the standard is not what it should be. My point is this - I cannot understand why the average football supporter cannot see the value in following a team week in week out regardless of the quality of the league. Thousands of people around Europe follow 'crap' teams because of a love for those teams. If Irish people had a similar mentality, maybe the league woud not be in such a state. Thousands of people travel to away games, travel to Sunderland etc, ignore the decent league that is dying on their doorstep and the proceed to claim they are great football supporters. They are pumping money into a foreign league. Just because they spend a fortune going to an ROI match does not mean they are doing much for the general good of the game here.

Surely you guys can see this?

NY Hoop
10/09/2007, 1:38 PM
do you know anything about that fan? he was born in england with irish parents. so what if he puts chelsea on his flag? i saw a lad at the weekend with a great polo top with a half QPR crest and half Irish crest with "club and country" written underneath. they are allowed follow who they like. this is sport we are talking about after all!!

Try reading what I said.

Do you know anything about chelsea fans?

"They are allowed to follow who they like"? Oh dear.

Supporting through thick and thin? Presume that's a joke of some kind. If bandwagon was an Olympic sport we would win every time. 6,000 travel to Slovakia and about the same amount go to england every week to "support" english clubs while ignoring their own domestic league. Yeah we have the "best fans in the world" alright. Ole ole ole

KOH

Pablo
10/09/2007, 1:53 PM
Try reading what I said.

Supporting through thick and thin? Presume that's a joke of some kind. If bandwagon was an Olympic sport we would win every time. 6,000 travel to Slovakia and about the same amount go to england every week to "support" english clubs while ignoring their own domestic league. Yeah we have the "best fans in the world" alright. Ole ole ole

KOH

all you need is a ginger wig, an inflatable shamrock and a love for booing Rangers players to be a true Ireland fan

jbyrne
10/09/2007, 1:56 PM
Try reading what I said.

KOH

how can you assume that the 6,000 in slovakia also travel to watch english teams each weekend?

and of course people can support who they like. who makes up the rules of who people are or are not allowed support? i am well aware of what a lot of chelsea fans are like but i'm sure that some of them are long standing fans that follow that club for the right reasons. everyone has the freedom to follow who they like... simple as. that lad is from england and wants to follow ireland as well as the club of his choice... problem is what??

Dodge
10/09/2007, 2:01 PM
and of course people can support who they like. who makes up the rules of who people are or are not allowed support? i am well aware of what a lot of chelsea fans are like but i'm sure that some of them are long standing fans that follow that club for the right reasons. everyone has the freedom to follow who they like... simple as. that lad is from england and wants to follow ireland as well as the club of his choice... problem is what??

Nothing wrong with it. But what NY Hoop and Higgo are talking about is supporting Irish football, and not just the international team. If you can't see the link between the state of our league, and the state of our national team, then you shouldn't really be in this conversation. Anybody who doesn't support an irish team (na dby that I mean actual go to games) cannot be said to be a true irish football fan, as they are not interested in Irish football progresssing

NY Hoop
10/09/2007, 2:05 PM
how can you assume that the 6,000 in slovakia also travel to watch english teams each weekend?

Are you on crack? Did you even read what I posted?

Putting chelsea on a tricolour is wrong. What club do you support?

KOH

NY Hoop
10/09/2007, 2:12 PM
jbyrne - you are wasting youir time arguing with those "I-hate-anyone-who-supports-an-English-club" idiots - (apparently it's OK to call somebody this on this forum - ref: Higgo on jbyrne- though I will probably get censured because I am not one of the conforming mod-arse-licking brigade).
Get over yourselves Higgo and NY Hoop - come down off the high nags before ye fall and hurt yourselves.
If I want to travel to England and watch a Prem match - in between Terryland Park every two weeks - and support Ireland at the same time then I will - if it annoys the lkes of ye then thats even better again!!
Theres a thought for ye - did ye ever think its possible to watch EL AND English matches at different times- bet ye didn't with that tunnelled blinkered vision problems ye keep having.

Calm down sunshine. Nothing wrong with following an english side as long as you support an Irish one first.

Do you not find it laughable that the same people who slag off the EL while wearing the usual mankpool tops are cheering on Israel against ingerland last saturday?

What is "ye"?

KOH