PDA

View Full Version : How we can beat the Czechs

Pages : [1] 2

Noelys Guitar
09/09/2007, 5:40 PM
Finnan in at right full. Kilbane at left full. O'Shea dropped (off. Preferably somewhere on the outskirts of Bratislava). Reid in for Ireland. Hunt on the left. Long (yes Long) up front with Doyle. Robbie Keane playing the free role he is playing at Spurs . I don't want to see Murphy or Douglas on the pitch at any stage. We have an excellent target man in keogh. McGeady might be better as a sub coming on (I would hope so). And Gibson can play better than he did last night. So those 3 would be my picks as possible subs. I'm not going to say anything about Stan as I am trying to control my blood pressure.

Colbert Report
09/09/2007, 5:49 PM
O'Shea dropped (off. Preferably somewhere on the outskirts of Bratislava).

I just spit up my cornflakes! I agree with your selection, we need to be ballsy and go all out for it. It doesn't matter if we lose by a large or small margin, a loss or a draw and we're out. I'd rather we get thumped four or five nil having had gone for the draw rather play it close to the chest and lose by a single goal.

eekers
09/09/2007, 6:21 PM
Robbie Keane playing the free role he is playing at Spurs

:eek:
keane this season:
against sunderland: upfront then moved to the wing for 30 mins
against everton: started right wing(did nothing), then moved to a front a diamond (which didnt work at all), jol put on routledge for some actual width (leaving keane and jenas in a comical midfield partnership - with zokora as left back!)
Last 3 games: keane played upfront and did well

Noelys Guitar
09/09/2007, 6:49 PM
:eek:
keane this season:
against sunderland: upfront then moved to the wing for 30 mins
against everton: started right wing(did nothing), then moved to a front a diamond (which didnt work at all), jol put on routledge for some actual width (leaving keane and jenas in a comical midfield partnership - with zokora as left back!)
Last 3 games: keane played upfront and did well

2 goals made against Fulham. One from just inside the Fulham half. The other from outside the Fulham box. He was constantly dropping into midfield to pick up the ball. And should never have been taken off by Jol. The game against Sunderland only Malbranque showed up for Spurs. We need to win on Wednesday and need all of our best footballers on the pitch. Especially goalscorers. Accomadating Long (who just scored 2 against Denmark) is essential IMO. And Keane is quite capable of playing a free role in midfield.

finnpark
09/09/2007, 7:07 PM
I really thin Ireland will beat the Czechs. They are no better than Slovakia. Ireland will probably win and Stan will remain on as manager :mad:

eekers
09/09/2007, 7:13 PM
there's a difference between a player being able to drop off as a striker and actually playing in midfield.
henry drops off, rooney drops off etc. but you wouldnt play them in midfield.
play keane upfront where he's dangerous and try to get the ball to him this time.
and playing 3 strikers (one in a free midfield role all be it) is bit crazy in an away match against the czechs, no? or it just might work

Noelys Guitar
09/09/2007, 7:48 PM
there's a difference between a player being able to drop off as a striker and actually playing in midfield.
henry drops off, rooney drops off etc. but you wouldnt play them in midfield.
play keane upfront where he's dangerous and try to get the ball to him this time.
and playing 3 strikers (one in a free midfield role all be it) is bit crazy in an away match against the czechs, no? or it just might work

The Czechs just need a draw and they might play for one (heres hoping. That tactic usually backfires). We have to win and yes I am very worried about getting overrun in midfield ala Cyprus away and for periods of last nights game if we play Shane Long. But if Long and Keane drop back into midfield when our attacks break down then that should be enough cover. Long can tackle and both have bags of pace. When Slovakia started to overrun us last night in the first half it was because we couldn't hold onto the ball, and Carsley was defending too far back. Carsley then was trying to pick out players with long cross field balls which he is not capable of doing. With Reid back (I hope) then Carsley can give him the ball short. Hunt can get stuck in not too far in front of Carsley. McGeady is just not doing it for me and has to go (maybe impact sub).

rebelarmyexile
09/09/2007, 7:56 PM
we cant

Torn-Ado
09/09/2007, 8:02 PM
We will get well beaten in Prague. Lee Carsley, the main man in midfield! Thats comical.

as_i_say
09/09/2007, 8:07 PM
Agree 100% about carsley. he is completely negative and when he does try and give a pass more than 5 yards it goes astray. Unfortunately there is nobody else while steven reid is still injured.

I wouldnt put ireland and reid together in there either i suppose cos it would be too lightweight. Knowing stan he'll throw a curved ball and put o shea center mid:eek::eek:

dr_peepee
09/09/2007, 8:36 PM
Koller is out of the game on Wednesday after picking up a booking.

Stuttgart88
09/09/2007, 8:49 PM
The point about Robbie is that he's ineffective because central midfield can't get a grip on the game. We have a good defence, some decent but lightweight midfielders, decent wide players and good forwards, but the team misfires because we can't get a grip on the game. We have 80% of a good team, but our central midfield is massively short of the required standard and physicality.

Carsley just doesn't do what's required. Mediocre as he may be, Potter does. He looks for the ball, passes it well and shows again. Just what Roy Keane made his career out of (well, he had a few other things going for him too, but none of it was flashy). Potter has done for us recently what a good scrum half does in rugby, i.e., he gives clean quick ball to his 10 whose job it is the make the play.

Play Robbie up front but play Andy Reid to get him into the game.

Finnan RB, KK LB, Hunt LHM.

The sheer folly & pig headedness of the FAI's stance over Garvan (whatever he did / said / whoever he annoyed) has damaged our chances. An Owen Garvan with 3 or 4 caps to his name would not be a gamble on Wednesday.

cheifo
09/09/2007, 8:49 PM
The only game in which we have looked a half decent team was at home to Slovakia when we played 4-5-1.Given our paucity of talent in midfield maybe this is the system we need to play.Iknow it sounds like a contradiction in terms and would mean dropping Robbie but we need to find a system that helps us hold onto the ball for longer.

paul_oshea
09/09/2007, 8:51 PM
we wont win. it will be just like the last 4 years and tough pill to swallow for all those who traveled on this trip.

DeNiro
09/09/2007, 8:58 PM
Doyle and Dunne to have fitness tests for Wednesday. If they're out, we've had it for sure. Won't win anyway.

jackaroo
09/09/2007, 9:51 PM
how can we beat the Czech sack STAUNTON

craig7042
09/09/2007, 10:44 PM
how can we beat the Czech sack STAUNTON

The slagging of Staunton is dated. Clearly we've got passed that stage. Even the papers have started admitting the good things he's done and how hes grown into the job.

Simply the team is full of heart but it may not be good enough. Hard to see us beating Czech, although its not impossible with Koller and them being a big older now..but.. I just think we lack maturity in terms of keeping the ball. A lot of young players and we're lacking in obvious areas. I dont agree with slagging Carsley. He's the best we have in that position. A million miles better than Steven Reid. He had his chance last summer and failed miserably.

kingdomkerry
09/09/2007, 10:57 PM
The slagging of Staunton is dated. Clearly we've got passed that stage. Even the papers have started admitting the good things he's done and how hes grown into the job.

Simply the team is full of heart but it may not be good enough. Hard to see us beating Czech, although its not impossible with Koller and them being a big older now..but.. I just think we lack maturity in terms of keeping the ball. A lot of young players and we're lacking in obvious areas. I dont agree with slagging Carsley. He's the best we have in that position. A million miles better than Steven Reid. He had his chance last summer and failed miserably.

Im afraid the "good things hes done" are far outnumbered by the bad things hes done, ie wrong team selections, wrong subs, wrong tactics.

craig7042
09/09/2007, 11:28 PM
Im afraid the "good things hes done" are far outnumbered by the bad things hes done, ie wrong team selections, wrong subs, wrong tactics.

No I disagree. He's brought in a huge number of young players and they play with spirit and pride. The debate over team selections is completely exaggerated. Did you notice Benitez put Finnan left back for liverpool the other week? was he ridiculed for that?? Tactics? I mean really.....

They are just short of quality at the moment. They didnt keep the ball. They didnt kill the game. The senior players like Carsley, kilbane and O'Shea arent good enough but they are the best we have. The young players are good enough, but not experienced.

I've spoken for months about Stans strong points.

Noelys Guitar
10/09/2007, 6:34 AM
I'm not worried about the Czechs beating us. Because I can't see that happening. They have 3 to 4 very good players. And then some real average to poor types. We have a better overall starting 11. If Stan plays it. I am more worried about us drawing. The result to nowhere.

razor
10/09/2007, 7:57 AM
The slagging of Staunton is dated. Clearly we've got passed that stage. Even the papers have started admitting the good things he's done and how hes grown into the job.So he is beyond criticism? Stop the Lights.
As the panel asked the other night, has he learned anything?
I personally don't think so but Delaneys pride and our bank balance probably means we are stuck with him.
Surely Bobby Robson won't be back either, so where does that leave the world class management team? Delaney has a lot to answer for.

ifk101
10/09/2007, 8:11 AM
No I disagree. He's brought in a huge number of young players and they play with spirit and pride. The debate over team selections is completely exaggerated. Did you notice Benitez put Finnan left back for liverpool the other week? was he ridiculed for that?? Tactics? I mean really.....

So Stan's qualities are that he brought in young players ????

I don't agree with this. Of the players he has brought in, the decision to bring them in was forced on him. If anything Stan is loyal to the senior players in the squad and isn't prepared to drop them/or take them out of the team without this decision being forced on him - eg injury or suspension. For example, he seems to always find a place in the team for Kilbane and JOSH no matter what. And additionally, the continued squad selection of players such as Carr, Douglas, Alan O'Brien, Colgan among others is baffling and without justification. Stan isn't a promote of youth and new age thinking, he's a stubborn man that is afraid to shake the boat.

BTW, comparing the managerial skills of Benitez and Stan is laughable.

Morbo
10/09/2007, 12:24 PM
Stan switching the fullbacks was somewhat defendable when we played Wales because he wanted Finnan and JOSH to mark their own club team mates but what is his excuse for continually doing it, it doesn't really matter where you play Josh cos he is equally ****e in every position but Kelly did look uncomfortable playing out of position.

I've tried to defend Stan in the past but its getting harder and harder, don't think Stan has really learned anything and Ireland can't wait for him to get up to speed. Knowing the FAI they will probably do what they did with McCarthy, let him make blunders for 5 or 6 years then fire him when it finally looks like he has become a decent manager.
I don't blame Stan for taking the job because I would have done the same in his position but I think its criminal that the FAI gave this job to somebody with zero experience.

Armando
10/09/2007, 1:19 PM
Kelly wasn't playing out of position? He's playing left back for Birmingham this season and has done in the past.

He also played a blinder for Ireland last year at left-back in Lansdowne against the Czechs.

So, it's not that he was 'uncomfortable playing out of position', he just didn't play well.

Closed Account 2
10/09/2007, 1:31 PM
I blame O'Shea, he was sloppy all night. Couldn't even do a simple backpass from about 5 yards to Given. Hopeless . He totally fluffed his shot in the last few mins sliced it an ended up on his bum in the Slovak area. Then seconds later he decided to mark space for Marek Cech's goal. If we had played a Florida Manatee instead of O'Shea it would have kept the ball more often, read the game better and not been caught out of position as much.

For us to have even an gilmmer of a chance we need to drop this clown.

TerryPhelan
10/09/2007, 1:48 PM
If we had played a Florida Manatee instead of O'Shea it would have kept the ball more often, read the game better and not been caught out of position as much.

For us to have even an gilmmer of a chance we need to drop this clown.

:D:D:D
First thing to bring a smile to my face after a horrible weekend for Irish sport. Thanks edmundo!!

Ozymandias
10/09/2007, 1:55 PM

]
Grown into his jumper is about all he has done
What papers exactly....People argued he was a quick learner..he has learnt nothing (actually maybe he has but isn't capable of following it through)....we looked a mess on saturday.....then his subs.don't get me started on douglas...also his ability to keep playing peole out of position. Gibson is gonna be a star but the reasons for bringing him on in an away game for his competitive debut were strange if not just to tie him to the republic cause.

The players are trying but the tactics and ability of the whole management team are lacking and that is what is letting this squad down.....a better manager would get more out of them...he doesn't even know his best eleven

OwlsFan
10/09/2007, 2:55 PM
Let the rallying call be "Remember 1967" (see last game in the series). Such mighty players as Eoin Hand and Ray Tracy were the men on the night. 40th anniversary?

QUALIFYING
European Championships 1960-2008
Final Tournament
Qualifying Groups | Quarter Finals | Statistics

Group 1

23/10/1966 Ireland 0 - 0 Spain (0-0)
16/11/1966 Ireland 2 - 1 Turkey (0-0)
07/12/1966 Spain 2 - 0 Ireland (2-0)
01/02/1967 Turkey 0 - 0 Spain (0-0)
22/02/1967 Turkey 2 - 1 Ireland (2-0)
21/05/1967 Ireland 0 - 2 Czechoslovakia (1-0)
31/05/1967 Spain 2 - 0 Turkey (0-0)
18/06/1967 Czechoslovakia 3 - 0 Turkey (1-0)
01/10/1967 Czechoslovakia 1 - 0 Spain (0-0)
22/10/1967 Spain 2 - 1 Czechoslovakia (1-0)
15/11/1967 Turkey 0 - 0 Czechoslovakia (0-0)
22/11/1967 Czechoslovakia 1 - 2 Ireland (0-0)

Team P W D L GF GA GDIF PTS %
1 SPAIN 6 3 2 1 6 2 +4 8 66.7
2 Czechoslovakia 6 3 1 2 8 4 +4 7 58.3
3 Ireland 6 2 1 3 5 8 -3 5 41.7
4 Turkey 6 1 2 3 3 8 -5 4 33.3

geysir
10/09/2007, 3:11 PM
I'm not worried about the Czechs beating us. Because I can't see that happening. They have 3 to 4 very good players. And then some real average to poor types. We have a better overall starting 11. If Stan plays it. I am more worried about us drawing. The result to nowhere.
The torture never stopping :)
At best at present, despite the individual merits of players we are performing like a 3rd seeded team, if we have pretensions about turning the never ending corner in our recent football history and beat the Czechs we have to put in the work shift needed that lesser teams need to do. Belief in a team and confidence in a game plan are not things that you switch on, they have to be earned the hard way, it's a process.
If you could put together McShane and Dunne you still would not be able to describe Hreidarsson when he puts on his country's shirt. On Saturday playing full back for Iceland, he got his head to every ball, won every tackle, ripped through the Spanish vanguard and set up counter attack after counter attack which were executed with lightening pace. Every player chased, harried and tackled throughout the full 90 mins, playing right through the pain barriers.
A bit of that for our team would be nice.

jebus
10/09/2007, 3:16 PM
Never understand why Ireland never play Finnan at right back. I realise he's out for this one, but surely a Finnan, McShane, Dunne, O'Shea back four is the team's strongest defence?

OwlsFan
10/09/2007, 3:24 PM
Never understand why Ireland never play Finnan at right back. I realise he's out for this one, but surely a Finnan, McShane, Dunne, O'Shea back four is the team's strongest defence?

I may be cynical but I bet Finnan will play for Liverpool at the weekend.

Noelys Guitar
10/09/2007, 4:21 PM
I may be cynical but I bet Finnan will play for Liverpool at the weekend.

Doing a "Lazurus". It has happened before with him but lets wait and see.

carloz
10/09/2007, 4:35 PM
Well Finnan has always to the best of my knowledge made himself available for every Irish match so i wouldnt say much about him. Maybe he is totally ****ed off being played out of position when he is the only player we have who is contionously playing well in the Champions League. Under McCarthy Kerr and the muppet we have now he has rarely played in this proper position. Put you top players in their best positions first, then worry about our weak positions. Personally i dont think it is a massive task to beat the Czechs, they are finished as a side and on a serious down turn. if they happen to qualify ahead of us they will finish pointless at Euro 2008. A bit of ****ing belief is what we need and a bit more physicality to out game. We dont need john O'Shea playing the nice guy or Stephen Ireland pulling out of tackles as per usual, we need full hearted 100% adrenaline performances. Unfortunatly id only be expecting that from Dunne, Given, Doyle and to a lesser extent Keane and McShane

geysir
10/09/2007, 5:14 PM
A player not fit for competitive international duty, surely can´t play for 5 days for his club? unless your Roy Keane of course.

Armando
10/09/2007, 5:46 PM
@ Geysir
The rule only applies for 5 days before a game...regarding the Roy Keane comment - behave yourself, Roy often played for Ireland carrying injuries and against his clubs wishes.

DmanDmythDledge
10/09/2007, 5:46 PM
I dont agree with slagging Carsley. He's the best we have in that position. A million miles better than Steven Reid. He had his chance last summer and failed miserably.
Reid had one chance centre mid and was excellent, as he was in the Premiership.

I'd go with that back four also. I think Stan's logic is that they're both right backs and Finnan is the better so he would be more comfortable playing out of position, even though O'Shea has played more games at left back than right.

geysir
10/09/2007, 6:35 PM
I´m always well behaved.

I´m pretty sure that it´s a countries prerogative to request that a reported injured player should not turn out for his clubs next game.

TheJamaicanP.M.
10/09/2007, 7:41 PM
I have to say that its quite depressing reading some of the threads on this forum since Saturday's game. The prevailing mood is in stark contrast to that which followed the Denmark game. I just think we need a more balanced perspective after games.

Firstly, it is important to remember that we did not lose the game on Saturday night. We got a score draw against a mediocre side. We were unlucky to concede a last minute goal. If we had held out for the win, I suspect that the mood on this forum would be much different.

Sure, Staunton's selection and choice of substitutes was poor. However, we're still in with a chance of qualifying. If we beat the Czechs on Wednesday night, we'll be in a strong position to make it to the finals.

Despite his impressive goal scoring record, I think it may be a blessing in disguise that Stephen Ireland will be missing. I don't think he gets involved in the game enough and I think that we tend to get over-run when he plays in the centre of a four-man midfield. The last 15 minutes of the first half on Saturday night was similar to the game in Cyprus last October when the opposition swarmed all over us.

Like most fans on this forum, I believe that Andy Reid and Stephen Hunt should come into the team for Wednesday night. Reid was the best player on the park against Denmark. He has the ability to take the ball from the back four and importantly can keep posession of it. He's the only Irish player who I believe is capable of controlling the tempo in midfield. On the other hand, Hunt offers enthusiasm and a direct style of play that could invigorate the team. Both players could freshen things up in what looked like a sterile midfield on Saturday night.

As for all the criticism that Robbie Keane is getting, I thought he played well against the Slovaks, particularly in light of the poor service both himself and Doyle received from the Irish midfield. I'm hoping that Dunne and Doyle pass their fitness tests or we're in big trouble. I have selected my team below. Due to the current lack of alternatives in the full-back positions, O'Shea and Kelly remain in the team, but in their more natural positions.

1. Given

2. Kelly 4. Dunne 5. McShane 3. O'Shea

7. McGeady 6. Carsley 8. Reid 11. Hunt

9. Doyle 10. Keane

Despite some frailties in the above line-up, I still think we are good enough to sneak a win against this Czech team. Without Koller and possibly Baros, they are a different proposition. Rosicky is a quality player, but Carsley is usually at his best when he gets the opportunity to kick lumps out of a player that is employed behind the front men. Indeed, Carsley made his name at Derby following a very physical display at Highbury against Rosicky's predecessor at Arsenal, Dennis Bergkamp. Although older now, Carsley is still capable of a similarly robust performance. Leave the playmaking to Andy Reid.

This team has performed at its best when it has suffered a lot of criticism. Remember the performance against the Czechs 4 days after the nightmare in Cyprus. Not many people gave us a chance in Lansdowne that night. Remember the performance against Slovakia 4 days after the lacklustre performance against Wales in Croker. On both occasions we followed up poor performances with displays that were high on tempo and full of commitment. I believe we will do the same again on Wednesday night and it may be that a weakened Czech side will be unsure of itself, particularly with the knowledge that a draw should be enough.

Ireland have a more potent strikeforce and unlike the Czechs, we have nothing to fear but fear itself.

Paddy Garcia
10/09/2007, 8:49 PM

I wish it was dated. However with chronic poor decision making , it is very likely to continue.

The good things he did for us were as a player - what have they admitted hehas done. To be clear there was no other option but to bring young players in, so lets not give any plaudits for taking the only road available.

And leaving Reid on the bench was truly appalling.

We have not played well in one competitive game under Staunton. I really want to support him (& I do), but it seems he is simply hopeless at his job.

Ordinary Fan
10/09/2007, 10:50 PM
We won't beat the Czechs because Stan will not start Reid and Hunt because everyone is telling him what to do, remember how long it took him to bring in Carsley.

He has to go, no tactics, bad selections and madness on substitutions.

Noelys Guitar
10/09/2007, 11:57 PM
The end of Stan's interview tonight on Sky was hardly inspiring. "A draw isn't the end of the world. We then have 2 home games". Christ!

geysir
11/09/2007, 12:19 AM
He said the worst scenario is a draw, but a draw isn´t the end of the world.

Just prolongs your misery.

on_me_head_son
11/09/2007, 3:17 AM
I have to say that its quite depressing reading some of the threads on this forum since Saturday's game. The prevailing mood is in stark contrast to that which followed the Denmark game. I just think we need a more balanced perspective after games.

Firstly, it is important to remember that we did not lose the game on Saturday night. We got a score draw against a mediocre side. We were unlucky to concede a last minute goal. If we had held out for the win, I suspect that the mood on this forum would be much different.

Sure, Staunton's selection and choice of substitutes was poor. However, we're still in with a chance of qualifying. If we beat the Czechs on Wednesday night, we'll be in a strong position to make it to the finals.

Despite his impressive goal scoring record, I think it may be a blessing in disguise that Stephen Ireland will be missing. I don't think he gets involved in the game enough and I think that we tend to get over-run when he plays in the centre of a four-man midfield. The last 15 minutes of the first half on Saturday night was similar to the game in Cyprus last October when the opposition swarmed all over us.

Like most fans on this forum, I believe that Andy Reid and Stephen Hunt should come into the team for Wednesday night. Reid was the best player on the park against Denmark. He has the ability to take the ball from the back four and importantly can keep posession of it. He's the only Irish player who I believe is capable of controlling the tempo in midfield. On the other hand, Hunt offers enthusiasm and a direct style of play that could invigorate the team. Both players could freshen things up in what looked like a sterile midfield on Saturday night.

As for all the criticism that Robbie Keane is getting, I thought he played well against the Slovaks, particularly in light of the poor service both himself and Doyle received from the Irish midfield. I'm hoping that Dunne and Doyle pass their fitness tests or we're in big trouble. I have selected my team below. Due to the current lack of alternatives in the full-back positions, O'Shea and Kelly remain in the team, but in their more natural positions.

1. Given

2. Kelly 4. Dunne 5. McShane 3. O'Shea

7. McGeady 6. Carsley 8. Reid 11. Hunt

9. Doyle 10. Keane

Despite some frailties in the above line-up, I still think we are good enough to sneak a win against this Czech team. Without Koller and possibly Baros, they are a different proposition. Rosicky is a quality player, but Carsley is usually at his best when he gets the opportunity to kick lumps out of a player that is employed behind the front men. Indeed, Carsley made his name at Derby following a very physical display at Highbury against Rosicky's predecessor at Arsenal, Dennis Bergkamp. Although older now, Carsley is still capable of a similarly robust performance. Leave the playmaking to Andy Reid.

This team has performed at its best when it has suffered a lot of criticism. Remember the performance against the Czechs 4 days after the nightmare in Cyprus. Not many people gave us a chance in Lansdowne that night. Remember the performance against Slovakia 4 days after the lacklustre performance against Wales in Croker. On both occasions we followed up poor performances with displays that were high on tempo and full of commitment. I believe we will do the same again on Wednesday night and it may be that a weakened Czech side will be unsure of itself, particularly with the knowledge that a draw should be enough.

Ireland have a more potent strikeforce and unlike the Czechs, we have nothing to fear but fear itself.

Great post!
I totally agree. There's no doubt the team will be up for this one and they have every chance of getting a result.

Still not sure if McGeady should be starting though. His confidence can't be very high after the last game.

tricky_colour
11/09/2007, 4:13 AM
We might beat them if they get docked 3 points for playing an illegible player.

.......and then we recieve the same penalty :rolleyes: :D

macdermesser
11/09/2007, 7:42 AM
The end of Stan's interview tonight on Sky was hardly inspiring. "A draw isn't the end of the world. We then have 2 home games". Christ!

omg ... is he relying then on Cyprus or Slovakia doing us a favour? We have to win.

The worst case scenario is that we would need a 2-2 draw to better them on the head-to-head .. but after Saturday that chance is gone. Has to be a win.

shanman2
11/09/2007, 7:45 AM
We might beat them if they field six players.

1 Petr Čech
21 Tomáš Ujfaluši
22 David Rozehnal
5 Radoslav Kováč
6 Marek Jankulovski
4 Tomáš Galásek
Tomáš Sivok
10 Tomáš Rosický
14 David Jarolím
18 Marek Kulic
David Lafata

I think thats the team they will play with 4 across the middle and Rosicky maybe even Galasek pushing on. Lafata has score 2 in 2 so maybe he will get the nod. Either way we face a massive task trying to get the points. Only thing we can do especially with stans tactical side of the game sadly lacking is to go at them.

OwlsFan
11/09/2007, 10:29 AM
Let the rallying call be "Remember 1967" (see last game in the series). Such mighty players as Eoin Hand and Ray Tracy were the men on the night. 40th anniversary?

QUALIFYING
European Championships 1960-2008
Final Tournament
Qualifying Groups | Quarter Finals | Statistics

Group 1

23/10/1966 Ireland 0 - 0 Spain (0-0)
16/11/1966 Ireland 2 - 1 Turkey (0-0)
07/12/1966 Spain 2 - 0 Ireland (2-0)
01/02/1967 Turkey 0 - 0 Spain (0-0)
22/02/1967 Turkey 2 - 1 Ireland (2-0)
21/05/1967 Ireland 0 - 2 Czechoslovakia (1-0)
31/05/1967 Spain 2 - 0 Turkey (0-0)
18/06/1967 Czechoslovakia 3 - 0 Turkey (1-0)
01/10/1967 Czechoslovakia 1 - 0 Spain (0-0)
22/10/1967 Spain 2 - 1 Czechoslovakia (1-0)
15/11/1967 Turkey 0 - 0 Czechoslovakia (0-0)
22/11/1967 Czechoslovakia 1 - 2 Ireland (0-0)

Team P W D L GF GA GDIF PTS %
1 SPAIN 6 3 2 1 6 2 +4 8 66.7
2 Czechoslovakia 6 3 1 2 8 4 +4 7 58.3
3 Ireland 6 2 1 3 5 8 -3 5 41.7
4 Turkey 6 1 2 3 3 8 -5 4 33.3

On looking up Wikipedia, I note I was wrong about Hand scoring. It was that great Dundalk man Turlough O'COnnor and Ray Tracy (Dempsey OG for them).
November 22, 1967

Czechoslovakia 1–2
Republic of Ireland Slavia Stadium, Prague, Czechoslovakia
Euro 1968 Qualifier
Attendance: 11,000
Referee: Vetter (East Germany)
Dempsey 57' (og) Treacy 65'
Turlough O'Connor 86'

WHo'll be our Turlough on Wednesday?

youngirish
11/09/2007, 10:30 AM

The man really is an idiot. He claimed we needed a win in his interview after the game on saturday. How did he come to the conclusion since then that we only need a draw?

Morbo
11/09/2007, 10:58 AM
@Craig
BS, if you believe the reason he didn't play Hunt or Reid is because he was resting them for wednesday then you're an idiot.
He didn't even bring on Hunt as a sub, are you telling me 20 or 30 minutes would of knackered him out for Wednesday? Pleeaassee, thats a very weak attept to explain Stans selection.
Also the tactics didn't almost work, we didn't deserve to win, we were lucky to even get a draw, we had 6 attepts on goal to their 11 and we surely would have lost if it wasn't for our best player who was the one player you critizied, Dunne

Hibs4Ever
11/09/2007, 11:05 AM
O'Shea & McGeady have to be dropped for Czech game

Hunt & Reid to start, and Finnan if available